Directors/Writers/SAG Contracts & The Effects

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, Nov 4, 2007.

1. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

Re: Writers Strike - Is it going to have an effect on TV sho

ren28 posted this at BTA:

Studios cancel TV writer contracts

Not good news for both the writers and the fans, but I guess I understand why they did that. It looks like there won't be many new shows this coming fall, and the current season is probably done here. I agree that people won't sit there and wait forever. They'll find something else to do and care less and less about the strike. It is said that Hollywood has never fully recovered from the writers strike back in 1986, and I'm afraid what's happening now is making it even worse.

lol George and gang, how we need thee. :lol:

2. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Now this is just getting *UGGG* *Sigh* don't get me started cause it won't be pretty is my thought. -- TVGuide.com - Another Strike Casualty — Bonus Material (Editors Blog) <SNIP> "The TV landscape has been decimated by the Writers Strike, and that will undoubtedly lead to some smaller-than-usual TV-DVD sets come August/September, but there are other repercussions that aren't as obvious, especially the lack of participation in bonus material."

ETA: I found this TV networks still have plenty of shows -- and for the shows I like I would just like to state the term "Not Enough" applies imo. :p

ETA2: I just relooked at my post and saw my signature and couldn't help thinking that the second phrase really fits this situation, "Some minds are like concrete thoroughly mixed up & permanently set." :lol:

3. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Well this may or may not have an effect on the writers strike. It appears as though the Directors and studios have come to a tentative agreement.

Hollywood directors, studios reach tentative deal

Can we only hope that the writers will follow.

4. Destiny

Writers talks could resume next week - "Striking Hollywood writers could begin informal talks with studio chiefs as early as next week in an effort to end a two-month walkout that has hobbled the entertainment industry, according to a person familiar with the bargaining strategy of the writers union."

I am so hoping and praying that what happened with the DGA really did impact this and made everyone sit down, stop the stubborn pride and get back to business, I swear I know 3 yr olds with more sense who play better together then all these people.

WGA Awards to hold small NYC ceremony. Granted this is the East coast and the west coast did cancel, but still a bit ironic considering imo.

Some links that I thought might be helpful.
    TvGuide Strike Chart: How Long Before Your Shows Go Dark?
    TvGuide Editors Blog: WGA Strike Watch: How This Season Is Being Rewritten.
    LA Times Entertainment News
    Yahoo Entertainment Full Strike Coverage

5. Jacquie

Could things be looking up for the stalled writers talk? Reports out of Hollywood are saying that the writers and Hollywood Studios have met for informal talks. Might this be a beginning to an end or will the talks break down like they did in December?

Hollywood writers and studios hold informal talks

6. below

below Civilian

Does this really look like the current season is ending here?

Also, what about the people who pre-paid the whole season on iTunes? Should we ask for credit?

Alex

7. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

I sure hope that the writers come to an agreement, it's torture having to watch reality shows and reruns of everything. It also has me watching more sports and have even been watching wrestling with my husband * cough * yay * cough *

8. Destiny

I hope like heck they are not toying with us. Screenwriters optimistic but resolved over talks

But they couldn't do this when it was the baseball season, no I had to suffer trying to watch the games and the shows, or catching up with re-runs. Not that I am encouraging them to strike at all or rather any longer, I can handle the going back and forth.

9. Jacquie

Maybe the fact that the writers have dropped 2 of their demands may help the cause. One can only hope though.

10. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I'm glad to see them not acting like fighting children. But they have burned so many bridges it will be hard to get anything back to the right place.

11. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

Glad to see that they might have everything resolved and it does seem that we're so confused with the way the last episodes ended.

12. Destiny

Yeah but that is what gets me, those two demands which were based on reality and animation writers, were one of the main causes for the break down in Dec. Now they [WGA] are saying Gee okay we will remove them from the table. I don't know I just wish they would come to a deal, and then while the networks would be on a role, get the actor/actresses in there and settle all that now so as not to have to deal with this crap again. :D

13. Della

Della Police Officer

An old Union ploy is to go into the negotiatons asking for way more than you actually want, so then, after the negotiations have occurred and all has been agreed, there's a good chance that you'll get the PTBs to agree to something nearer to what you actually wanted and not what was intially proposed.

I think that's why on many occasions when such things as this writers strike occurs, there will seem to be compromises being made, but in reality there hasn't been any.

( If that makes any sense at all :) )

I can't wait for the end of this thing though because I seriously want to see some more NCIS - Not that I'm not enjoying the DVDs, because I really am, but some new eps would be faaaaaaaantastic!!! :D

:)

14. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

the SAG awards were really bad...

i think it is hypocritical to force the golden globe awards to be cancel, but allow the SAGs, just because they were 'approved' by the union. Then on the show, they had all this stuff about the unions and stuff, ulg. They were using the award show to promote their strike.

Also, for the love of god, when is the sopranos going to stop being nominated!!! ARG, i hate that they win everything...

15. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

It made perfect sense. Each side always asks for more than what it wants. That way when a side makes a "concession" during negotiations it's not really "conceding" anything (or it's conceding a minor point). It's happy with what's agreed to. Usually, though, in contract negotiations, neither side wins nor loses completely.