Why Lindsay Must Stay!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by ericisacutie, Jan 12, 2008.

1. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

^Well I guess there has been some "slight" drama since season 2 :p

2. Sammie

Sammie Rookie

well I heard about the whole pool table thing xD I love her new hair in season 4!

3. ericisacutie

ericisacutie Lab Technician

^^^ I wasn't so sure about the new do, but it's growing on me, I like her hair from the very first season she was in, that was so awesome!

4. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

why Lindsay really must stay.... well no brainer for me i like her as a character lol.

Lindsay has what some of the other women on the CSI's have: she has that real sweetness to her but she can be threatening and tough when she needs to be. she knows she has issues but besides some eps last season it doesn't really make her the character she is.

without that adorableness and spunk that Lindsay has CSI:NY would not be as much fun to watch.

5. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

When has she been "adorable," "sweet," "threatening," and "tough?" What indication does she give that says "she knows she has issues?" And finally, who is "the character she is," and what does make her that character?

Your reasons are all extremely vague and don't give any indication of why Lindsay is such a crucial character that the show wouldn't be the same without her.

6. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

None. :p The closest she came was in Oedipus Hex but that was really a lame attempt since showing the mother that video tape wasn't exactly a tough thing to do. After all, the mother wanted to see it. She could have apologized to Danny and told him she make a mistake and told him she was sorry the mother slapped him but....was she sorry for any of that?

Lindsay was missing from three episodes last year and I didn't miss her one bit and think the show would be fantastic without her. Looks like Hill totally screwed himself. He put in a good word for her and besides putting us through Anna's crappy acting on a weekly basis, it also seems to have given Hawkes less screentime. :rolleyes:

7. WhosLaughingNow

The only real time I have ever seen her be "tough" was in the first episode when she tackled the suspect. Apart from that the only time she seems to get all "tough n' threatening" is when she's frustrated or angry even if the reason for her frustration has nothing to do w/ the crime at hand. It just comes across to me as someone who has issues when it comes to keeping their cool.

I think every episode should define a character. No matter how bad the storyline may or may not have been. Especially in her case because everything that happened to her last season was pretty big.

8. PerfectAnomaly

Exactly. Those three episodes, to me, proved that the show would be better off without her. Even her "true love" acted like she was never added to the team in the first place during those episodes.

9. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

Okay, I've read some and skimmed the rest of this thread and against my better judgement I am going to jump in here. I will probably get flamed, but what the heck?

I enjoy CSI:NY, however, I do not analyze it as much as I'm sure most of you do. That is why I had trouble understanding when I first came onto this forum why there were so many Lindsay haters. My first thought was, "Are they just Aiden lovers who never got over her leaving?" I liked Aiden too, but like I said, CSI:NY is one of those shows I do enjoy, but I'm not too attached to the characters, I can accept change.

Now, from what I've read here, there has been no mention of the Aiden theory. You all have been saying she complains a lot. I am honestly trying, as I type this, to think of some scenes that back that up, and so would anyone mind providing me with a list and/or links to clips where this happens? I just wanna see it for myself.

Now, as you can probably tell, I like the girl. Here are my reasons.

When she first came on the show, she was interesting because she had that secret. I hate not knowing things, and so for me I was really intrigued and wanted to know what had happened to her. And the storyline didn't disappoint. It was very sad, but I liked it.

She hasn't done anything to piss me off. She's a good CSI, she gets along with the other characters, she's not bitchy or anything; she just seems likeable. Yes, she did leave the scene in Silent Night, and some of you are using that as the big reason why she ISN'T a good CSI, but be reasonable. If you were the lone survivor of a shootout that left all of your best friends dead and you were reminded of it at work one day, would you be alright? Again, this was part of the story arc that I for one enjoyed. The point was she hadn't dealt with the situation, but honestly, only a person without a soul who had been through what she went through could be transported back to that event and not have any reaction to it, regardless of how much time had passed. There's a quote, by Rose Kennedy, it goes, "It has been said time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time the mind protecting its sanity covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone." I have always loved that quote because it is so true. So what I'm trying to get at here is you can't say she's annoying because she can't do her job because she can't deal with her issues. You can't, or rather shouldn't, expect her to.

Besides, even if you hated that storyline, it is over now, so the running away from crime scenes thing will probably not be happening any time soon.

Also, I don't see her as all that mean. She hasn't done anything to hurt another character, has she? I am going to have to bring up Danny for a second, because ship or no ship, they do have a relationship that has to be addressed if I am going to keep talking about why I like her. Remember in Snow Day when Danny was in trouble? Lindsay went to the scene, she helped him out of there, she did the right thing. She didn't whine about how he needed help, she didn't complain about having to do her job. At least if she did, I missed it. Again, if this happened I would appreciate being provided with a clip.

It's not just Danny, her relationships with most if not all of the characters are fun to watch. I particularly like the one with her and Stella. It's kind of like a big sister/little sister thing. Stella has wisdom that Lindsay doesn't because she's been on the job longer, but she's willing to pass it on. And I like all their interactions, even the little things like when Aiden died (was the ep called Superheroes or something?) and Stella and Lindsay were processing the car and Lindsay asked about what Aiden was like and Stella was saying how the two of them would have gotten along well. Like I said, I'm not one of those who remembers every line of every scene, in fact there's a lot I DON'T remember, but for some reason I remember this scene. And of course, during the aforementioned arc about Lindsay's past we saw Stella being a friend to her. Yes, Lindsay was cold with her at first, but she DID come around, you have to give her credit for that.

Besides Stella and Danny, her relationships with the other characters have not really been developed too much, so I won't comment on those, but I think you see my point. Again I'll refer to the ep where Aiden died, at the end the whole team, including Lindsay, was at that little restaurant telling stories of Aiden, and it was a nice little scene to remember the character AND nobody, including Lindsay, felt out of place or detracted from it. She works well with the ensemble.

Alright, I think I'm done for now. No, wait, one more thing.

::The following is a question for the mods::
    When I saw the title of this thread, I thought, "Oh cool, a place for the other viewers, the ones that like her." I did not expect that it would be a place for both, a place for debate, and that is apparently what goes on in the 'Why Lindsay Must Go" thread. So my question is, how are these threads different? Shouldn't they be delegated as separate corners, places for EACH of the parties to gather and not have to defend themselves? The Anna/Lindsay thread is for both positive and negative comments, at least that's what's been said here, so why not allow for separate threads? In Shipper Central there's a thread for each pairing. Separate corners. A place to discuss with people you can relate your views to. Of course I realize it doesn't matter what I think, but I'm just surprised that you're not allowing for just plain old appreciation/hatred threads.

Okay, now I'm finished. Let the flaming begin.

10. penguinpie

penguinpie Prime Suspect

What I don't understand is why the crime scene in "Silent Night" was supposed to have been a problem? The thing with not being able to deal with grieving mothers was a bit too convenient and doesn't seem to have much to do with her big trauma. Wouldn't the fathers of those slain girls have been mourning too? But in Lindsay's own words, she can give bad news to fathers all day. The fact that she just turned around and did a runner was pretty unprofessional. Poor Hawkes had to cover for her. She later snapped very rudely at Stella when she, justifiably, asked why she had left the crime scene. It would have been a remarkably petulant display from anyone.

As other people have mentioned, the crime scene in "Manhattan Manhunt" was much more likely to cause her trauma to resurface. A room full of dead teenagers, brutally shot down? Yet Lindsay was not at all bothered. Instead she argued with Mac when he wanted to send her back to the lab. It was a glaring inconsistency once the writers tried to introduce "the Big Secret"TM.

It is that inconsistency and half-assed-ness that made that whole storyline so unimpressive and forgetable for many. Whether it was rushed to accomodate Anna's pregnancy or not doesn't really excuse it's shabbiness.

If you enjoyed it, that's fine, but I'm afraid many people didn't.

Well, actually we can. She is a Crime Scene Investigator. She knows what she could be confronted with on any day and it is her obligation to the department and her superiors (and to the victims) to ensure that she does the job in front of her. If she can't handle it because of her issues, then she should either seek professional help to resolve them or find another line of employment. The NYPD would have every reason to sack an officer who wasn't doing the job expected of them. They aren't a child minding service or a psychiatric half-way house. I would be quite happy if Lindsay were to mention that she was seeking counselling for PTSD or whatever; it would make sense. However, in season four, all of the trauma has apparently evaporated. Can't have been all that serious in the first place then, huh?

Her relationships with other team members are okay most of the time. Her best developed relationships are with Stella and Mac. Her relationship with Danny is contentious at best. A lot of members on this forum were less than impressed with the rather juvenile nature of the whole Danny/Lindsay storyline. Strangely, the whole D/L seems to have been forgotten this season, much like poor Louie.

No one has accused her of being "mean", more selfish and lacking in empathy. This may well be because she is "emotionally challenged" like Mac; "Child's Play" may well be evidence of this.

However, the biggest problem most people have with Lindsay is that her character is so badly defined. One minute she's going for cute and upbeat, the next she's Emo!Lindsay, then back again. No rhyme or reason. It's annoying in itself as the other NY characters do not suffer from this problem. We know who they are, even when we don't like or agree with what they do. Lindsay just seems to take up space and fulfill some random exposition role without any real development. She doesn't add anything.

Well, the Anna/Lindsay thread is probably the best one for appreciation. However, debate has always been encouraged on this board, mainly because it is a bit more interesting that just endless fangirl squeeing. I'm afraid Lindsay is a very polarizing character, far more so than anyone else on the show, and you may have to get used to it. You are entitled to defend Lindsay with examples of where she has been kind or selfless. So long as everyone is polite, any viewpoint is welcome.

11. PerfectAnomaly

You won't get flamed, unless you think people disagreeing with you and posting their own opinions is flaming.

If you'd read the board instead of just skimming you'd find plenty of examples from people as to when she complained. We're not going to make a list for someone who comes in here and admits they haven't bothered to do that.

Reasons are good.

That doesn't really say anything about the character, but let's continue.

She's a good CSI except for when she doesn't want to do her job like in OH, SN, and other episodes. She gets along with the other characters except when she yelled at Stella, got pissed at Danny for call her "Montana" when "my name is Lindsay. Lindsay Monroe." She hasn't been bitchy except when she was repeatedly rude to Adam and even acted like she was his supervisor in CYHMN, when she complained about being sent back to the lab at the scene of the teenagers' slaughters, when she whined about the new girl getting all the crappy jobs. She's likeable except for when she makes everything about herself.

Except that every other person on the show has had issues and has had no problem doing their job up until Danny missed his shift to try and stop Rikki from killing Ollie. And that in a way was doing his job since he's a cop. It's also the way she did it. Did she explain that she couldn't deal with things and had to leave? NO. Did she talk to Stella when Stella offered to be there for her? NO. Instead of acting like an adult, she acted like a bratty teenager and there's no excuse for that. But that's been said, if you'd bothered to read the board.

Too bad it's not just that one thing that makes me dislike the character.

Again, we're not here to search out clips for you. In SD she went to the warehouse and stood there and did nothing. After they got into the warehouse, Flack wanted EMS to come to Danny since he was in such bad shape. Lindsay literally dragged Danny away when he could barely walk, then she stops to make sure Danny knows she feels guilty about him taking her shift - making it all about her. That was in no way the right thing to do and showed no care for Danny whatsoever.

Again, Lindsay yelled at Stella - her superior - when all Stella was doing was trying to help her in SN. The only reason Lindsay "came around" was because Stella got pissed and pulled the supervisor card. As for the Aiden thing, Lindsay was fishing for information on how close Aiden and Danny were while they were processing the car she was found murdered in. That's beyond tacky and beyond self absorbed. Lindsay and Stella work together, but I see no evidence of them being "girlfriends."

I disagree. I thought she was extremely out of place at the bar after Aiden died. She didn't even know the woman. She had no place wedging herself into something so personal for the rest of the team.

Again, if you had actually read this thread you'd already know the answer to that question. I'm not a mod, but I can say that this forum really doesn't have threads devoted to just one opinion. It's a discussion forum and all opinions are encouraged.

That's the second time you've assumed you'll be flamed. Coming into a thread and being confrontational and insulting is really not the way to get off to a good start.

12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

To address this first...this is a discussion forum. That means when discussion topics are started, it's with the understanding that some people will agree with the topic and others won't. If I started a topic "Should Hawkes have more screentime?" the understanding would be that no matter which way the opening post argued, it would be open to people to come in and agree or disagree.

The "Anna/Lindsay" thread tends to be mostly positive; the "Why Lindsay Must Go" thread mostly negative. This is something of a middle ground. The whole point of the forum is discussion, so the goal is to encourage everyone to participate, not just one side or the other.

I don't think I've ever given out a flaming warning in this forum; it's a really civil bunch. You might try not making assumptions about those that disagree with you before jumping in and saying you expect to get flamed. ;)

I don't think anyone here has ever called her mean, just selfish. She did drag a bleeding, wounded Danny away rather than letting Flack call for EMS and rather than trying to comfort Danny she made it about herself by saying, "This is all my fault." That's a pretty stupid thing to say because it basically forces Danny to comfort her and say, "No it isn't." I like that he didn't do that, but it still made her look pretty petty. She should have been focused on him, not trying to get him to absolve her from guilt.

I seem to remember Lindsay fishing for information about Danny's relationship with Aiden, not exactly asking about Aiden. She said, "Danny talked about her a lot, Aiden" and "They were close." Human, maybe, but not really noble. ;)

Yelling "leave me alone!" isn't cold; it's juvenile and immature and frankly, disrespectful.

13. WhosLaughingNow

If you were the lone survivor in a shootout that left all of your best friends dead, would you really want to become a CSI of all things when you clearly haven't put that behind you?

I say don't take the job if you are not going to be able to deal with it. No one put a gun to her head and said "You be a CSI and look at dead bodies... or else". She made her bed, now she should lie in it. :eek: [​IMG]

That scene bothered me greatly. In real life I don't think any CSI would be stupid enough to move someone if you don't know their injuries. That's a huge mistake. And had she complained while attempting to help a friend(despite the fact that she is not the one who should have been helping him) that would have taken selfish to a whole new level. That and you can't really complain about doing a job that's not yours.

14. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

to in a way defend myself i meant to say "what the other women of the CSI shows don't have..." i didn't mean to say have.

15. PerfectAnomaly

So you're saying that Stella, Catherine, Calleigh, etal don't have any of the traits you're claiming Lindsay does have?

Lindsay isn't even in the stadium to watch the others play, let alone in their league.