Why Lindsay REALLY Must Go (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Persona

Persona Hit and Run

This is what gets me. Anna's been on the show for over two years and still doesn't get it. Okay, let's give her the benefit of the doubt for a moment. Let's say the writers/producers/whoever didn't point out the character to her or changed it along the way without talking her. Yes, I know this is unrealistic, but that's the fun of what if scenarios.

As an actress, she should've been able to get a tag on Lindsey by now regardless of studio involvement. No matter the material, the dialogue, whatever came her way, she should've been able to figure this out by herself by now. You hear actors and actresses all the time talking about their characters, and most understand them (you get the delusional couple), but there's still some point of understanding within all of it. Anna just doesn't seem to get it. Each time she talks it's the same monotone with the same facial expression.

New or pregnancy I can give her some breathing room, but strike or not, she's still an actress who is still performing on a television show. Only in Anna's case, she's not.

2. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

You realize the above just convinced me big time that Anna is doing a really bad job with Lindsay and her being in theater before is absolutely no excuse, right? :lol:

Thanks for that info, vegaslights! It's enlightening.

So if character development is already being done long before an actor/actress gets into a role ... what excuse is there for Lindsay being whatever the heck character that she is today? Now, I see nada.

3. Persona

Persona Hit and Run

Beyond being Danny's twu wuv, which let's face it, could just as easily be filled by a blow up doll if Flack isn't available, I'm seeing nothing. I would include the omgz super duper dark secret, but she came out just the same going into it as she did going out of it.

Take Stella for example. Ever since Frankie, she's been cautious around men and romantic relationships ever since. With Lindsey, just nothing. Going through what she did, you'd think she'd be a little sensitive to witnesses or victim's families but I suppose I'm assuming too much.

4. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

You also have to take into consideration that TV moves a whole lot faster that film and theatre. And in film and theatre in general you know where your character is going from start to end where as this is a character that will keep on building and evolving over time.

Even if they had talked with Anna they can only go so far. Anna'a big girl and they are not going to sit down with her everytime there's a new script and say things like "You may have noticed but so and so has happened to your character in the last episode... how do you think this makes her feel?". If she knew her character well enough she should be able to connect the dots herself when something new or different is thrown at her. She needs to be able to ask herself those questions and answer them helself.

I feel that Anna looks at Lindsay from episode to episode rather than the big picture. Like she thinks more "Danny just showed up at my trial. I've been through a lot. Now is the perfect time to make a move. I think I'll kiss him now." as opposed to "Man this trial was rough. I'm glad that I have a friend to lean on in this difficult time".

5. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Oh, I know. Trust me, I understand how fast TV production moves! :lol: And in theater, yes you do know where your character is going from start to end. That's why I enjoy it much more.

But they would meet with Anna at least at the beginning of the season, perhaps the end, and in the middle. Maybe even once or twice inbetween the season. In fact, you hear/read all the time how actors go to the writers with ideas on how they would like their character going in this direction or that direction. TPTB do the same thing. Anna's a big girl, but she can't do the math with her character.

I agree completely. And that's one of the other problems -- she needs to focus on the big picture, because I think she would have a bit more success because, truthfully, Lindsay could be a dynamic character in so many ways. Not in the romance department, or as an individual character (I know that says a lot, huh?), but as a CSI. She is a very bland CSI. Out of the whole CSI franchise I think she delivers the science and delivery the weakest. I feel she needs SO MUCH more work on this part, but alas, in 3 seasons I have not seen it.

6. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

The excuse that the writers rushed through the scripts because of the looming strike is just laughable. The writers are striking because they think not getting paid adequately for their work. How the hell are they proving they're even worth keeping around, let alone getting paid more if they're doing half assed work? :confused: :rolleyes:

Some peoples' lack of logic just baffles me sometimes. Of course, TPTB's continued support of Anna Belknap in the role of Lindsay baffles me too.

ETA: Here's a recent interview with Anna Belknap. It gives such wonderful insight into how Anna approaches her role. :rolleyes:

Starry Constellation Magazine

7. WhosLaughingNow

:lol:I understand too. The stage also has the energy that you get from an audience that you don't get on a tv/film set... But unless you're in a big Broadway production tv/film is what's going to get you a decent home to live in... and food :p

But not all actors are like that input wise(which isn't always bad some feel more comfortable with others in the driver seat but they still manage to perform well). And sometime to them it's all about coming to work, reading lines and getting payed and they could care less. Which is sad and depressing. It's even worse because I know people like that.

And the only real time I heard of any real discussion about her character was when she was starting as the "new girl" and when she was pregnant(which is pretty much a mandatory meeting seeing as you have to choose to address it or not). Apart from that her character just been pretty bland like you said. I really don't see her having much input on the character at all. It would not be a surprise it they didn't talk with her that often.

I could see them talking to people like Melina, Gary and Carmine more often seeing as they toss them story lines more often. And they seem like more of the people who would start tossing ideas back and forth. Most of the other actors seem like people who would also toss ideas back and forth if the chance was given. They all seem to know where they would like to see their characters go. Anna's character seems to be in a sate of arrested development.

8. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

That whole interview had me laughing my ass off. Anna has so much enthusiasm for her role -- not! Like WhosLaughingNow mentioned, some of them are all about coming to work, reading lines and getting paid. You could tell how interested Anna was in doing that interview. [/sarcasm]

9. WhosLaughingNow

Really? I hope that wasn't new to her.[​IMG]

I'm sorry I have no clue how you can "go from imagination". It's like saying this is what I think cops do judging by what I see. :lol:

10. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Damnit, PA, I was coming in there to post that interview! :lol: It's full of the lulz. I especially loved the questions about Lindsay's past and such, and the 'chemistry' among the cast. Seriously, el-oh-el. :lol:

Usually it's when I'm reading things written by other fans that I think, "Are we even watching the same show?" Right now, I'm thinking the same thing about that interview. :rolleyes:

11. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Favorite part? That she says she has chemistry with the cast.

I ain't seeing it on the screen.

12. Lessien_Tinuviel

Lessien_Tinuviel Police Officer

And, one of her reasons for joining the show? See below:
    Seriously, Anna? :rolleyes: TPTB made really good casting choices with the rest of the cast, with the exception of Anna. No wonder Hill had to put in a good word for her, didn't she say in her CSIFiles interview that she sucked in the audition?

My expression while I was reading the interview was like this: o_O I'm not seeing the "instant chemistry" she has with the cast either.

13. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Exactly. I think she's still following the advice of the third grade teacher who told her she was an "actress."

This interview just makes me wonder all the more how she manages to stay employed.

ETA: How in the hell did she get an MFA? I guess Top nailed it when she said one option was a school where anyone who pays the tuition gets the degree.

14. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

I was laughing by the second question. :lol: They ask her what's new for Lindsay this season, and all she can talk about is Danny having banged Lindsay in the season three finale and that there won't be much D/L. Man, when the actress playing Lindsay herself can't think of anything to say about Lindsay apart from Danny being her prop ... yeah, I'll leave it at that.

At least in that interview she was smarter than to outright say Hill had to put in a good word for her because her audition sucked. Unfortunately, saying it once is all it takes to leave a really lousy impression on many people for a long, long time.

The following quotes are rather amusing:

Ah, that explains a lot.

... that explains even more. :eek: :lol:

15. Persona

Persona Hit and Run

Ha! I saw the interview online and knew it was going to be here. :D

... Say what? You mean all those scenes Lindsay's had with Stella where it looks like Melina is slowly dying inside is cast chemistry?

As for if you don't, it sure explains Anna's acting technique: you just 'sort of' do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.