Raising Caine - Episode #613 **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Wyoming, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

Megamel,
    I don't think Mrs. Newberry was leaving town willingly. Did you see the blood on her face when they showed her waking up in the car??? I think someone knocked her out and was driving her car with her in it, she was possibly in the trunk or the backseat, then when they got her there they put tape over her mouth so she couldn't scream for help and thoughly taped her hands to the steering wheel so she couldn't get out of the car when it went in to the water.

I SO hate cliffhangers!!! But normal cliffhangers I can deal with because you know they'll be resolved when summer is over or the next week. This is one of 2 types of cliffhangers I can't stand.
    The first type is ending a series on a cliffhanger--like Mutant X did. The second is this type. You know it'll be resolved but it's anyone's guess when it'll be resolved.
    :mad: DANG WRITERS' STRIKE :mad:

2. Jennifer

Jennifer Lab Technician

I did! She creeped me out too. I didn't like the way she just slithered into the room when Horatio saw her for the first time, eyes all popping out, looking at him sideways. I think it was just bad acting on Elizabeth Berkley's part.

I honestly believe that was just thrown in there to explain Khandi's absence from the episode. BUT, when Calleigh added the gossip (and the reviewer got it right...it was gossiping) about Horatio and Kyle, that whole scene just left a bad taste in my mouth. I know sometimes personal conversation comes out at a crime scene, but gossiping is something different, uncalled for. And just not Calleigh.

Some things I noticed in the episode that I thought were off...
    - Horatio worked the investigation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the suspect is his son's mother shouldn't he have bowed out of the investigation? Isn't that a conflict of interest? Regardless of the fact that he was objective in the investigation, I still think he should have turned the investigation over to Eric and/or Calleigh to lead.
    - When Horatio (or was it Eric?) picked up the divorce papers...shouldn't he have worn gloves? It's a piece of evidence right? Doesn't that call for picking it up with gloves, or something else so that he didn't leave his prints on it?
    - the episode seemed disjointed, hell the team and the investigation itself seemed disjointed. Like the script was written, the writers all went on strike, and there was no one around to do any rewrites. I'm not sure if they can film an episode without writers, but there were some scenes that badly needed rewriting.
    - as the reviewer basically said, Horatio stinks at picking women. I thought this as soon as the first episode details came out...yet another "winner" for Horatio. Interesting how Horatio the Great can pick the bad guy out at ten paces, hone in on them with his eagle eyes...but with women, he can't tell his ass from a whole in the ground. With the exception of maybe Marisol and Yelina. But he sure couldn't tell Marisol was buying drugs from one of the Mala Noche.

Things I did like...
    - the E/C scene with the piece of evidence Calleigh thought she had right, it was cute
    - ended on a cliffhanger. Although I hate cliffhangers, it was done well, and will hopefully keep people tuned in, despite the fact that the episode as a whole was lacking.

3. Megamel

Megamel Victim

I thought they showed Mrs Newberry driving the car when they were talking about her going through the tolls. Maybe that was just a "what if" situation, though. Im sure H could take Julia to court over Kyle (for sole or shared custody) but he probably doesn't want to put Kyle through that.

Someone mentioned all the blood that there was as the car went into the water and that maybe Tripp is in the trunk. Iagree that that much blood couldn't have come from the wound on Mrs Newberry's head. I sure hope nothing bad happened to Tripp. THey just added Rex Linn to the credits. I like his character, I hope they didn't kill him off.

4. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

That scene showing her driving and looking at the money was just an image of Calleigh and Eric's theory that she took the money and ran. When the scene came back to Calleigh and Eric walking thru the lab and talking about it, Calleigh said to Eric "I have a bad feeling about this." Then, if I remember correctly, they cut to the close up of Mrs. Newberry's face as she's waking up in the car. In that close up you can see the blood on her face. That's why I think someone knocked her out, put her in the car and drove her to where the car was going in to the water. Once they got her there, they put tape over her mouth so she couldn't scream for help and thoughly taped her hands to the steering wheel so she couldn't get out of the sinking car.

5. Megamel

Megamel Victim

You could be right, Carolyn318. I just hope they didn't kill off Frank.

6. Missing

Missing Pathologist

I too thought that was blood at first but then thougt the color was off and maybe was just the disturbance of the soil that was brought up and gave it that color. Could be wrong though.

7. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Anyone wonder if maybe Julia isn't really Julia???
    They emphasized her being into identity swap (the way the names popped up in bold as H was looking at them) yet it didn't pertain to the story other than it made her look "bad".
    There was no fingerprints to tie to her. The lipstick on the papers were never swabbed & analyzed; Horatio immedialtely questioned Julia, who then admitted that she picked them up.
    The only "proof" she is Julia is Horatio "recognizing" her.
    Evil twin, maybe??
    This woman could possibly be in cahoots w/ one of H's enemies & "took" Kyle.
    Maybe the REAL Julia is alredy dead (ya know that Horatio curse)...
    The extra blood in the water...The real Julias' maybe?
    ALL SPECULAION, mind you....but somethin' to think about ;)

On another note, I think Calleigh meant her "bad feeling" was about Katheleen, not Frank. Who really knows :rolleyes: :D

8. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

Yes! An evil twin, that's it!
    You know, in a weird way, I can totally see this happen in Miami :rolleyes:

Loved the cliffhanger. Those writers better come up with something goooooooood after leaving us hanging for so long :p

And, Frank? Where you at, dude? I like you, so don't you just go and disappear like that. :p

In general, not a bad ep. But, erm... Julia... there just something wrong with her eyes. I didn't see it at first, but then it hit me...

CLICK!

:D

9. dogbert14

dogbert14 Rookie

10. HoratioStalker

HoratioStalker CSI Level One

That pic was great! I really don't have much new to add, since you all have said it so well. My only newish thought is that I never thought that was blood in the water behind the car as it sank, but mud stirred up as it went in. Now I hope the writers come back soon and clean up this story line. :)

11. Della

Della Police Officer

I found this episode quite boring to be honest. Shock horror and gasp too that I found DC's acting a bit stilted as well. (I hate myself for saying that, but his gravelly voice and not doing anything else is now wearing a bit thin for me) The quirks that were quirks at the beginning are now very stale for me, especially the backing out of a shot with a side look at whomever he's looking at at the time.

I can't even raise my gander of excitement up at the prospect of what's going to happen concerning Kyle and his mum and what not.

From what we had been shown of the Kyle character it feels incredibly unrealistic to me that he would suddenly up and leave with a mother who abandoned him into care and leave behind a Father who since knowing of his existence has done nothing but shown him the love and attention he has obviously craved, and also guided and protected him where he could.

For me, Kyle seemed much more than the shallow, materialistic young man that was shown to us when he accepted the car from his mother as an incentive to leave with her. It really destroyed the character for me to be honest - and if something like that had happened during the first two seasons of CSI Miami I would have demonstrated and ranted from the rooftops about it, but this season has contained, for me, some awfully glaring out-of-character incidences that I can't be arsed to get frustrated and angry about what we were shown concerning the Kyle character.

All in all, I know without a shadow of doubt that I'll continue to watch with love and interest the first 2 seasons of CSI Miami, but will leave it at that, because I feel that this season is now running on fumes - unlike "NCIS" which, for me, just keeps getting stronger and stronger concerning character continuity and development, (though if they got rid of Agent David I wouldn't complain), humour, friendships, plots and storylines.

A real shame about CSI Miami. They once had a really good thing going for me, but somewhere along the line they just lost it, to the point that it really has become a shadow of what it once was

:(

12. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

:lol: :lol: I was thinking exactly the same! I didn't know should I cry or laugh...

And the jail scene with Kyle and Julia - I just kept wondering that must be fun for a kid to see his mom's boobs trying to jump out of the dress!

For me the whole Kyle-storyline was hard to accept (hello? where's suzie and madison?) and now this... they should have just kept her DEADDEADEAD.

Oh the good ol' CSIM, where art thou?

If it's really going to be this soapy, I don't even want writer's strike to end :rolleyes:

And I have to say I am amazed, when you see who wrote this episode. Should we write CBS that doesn't let CSIM room to be next to The Bold and the Beautiful room?

No wonder I am more excited about CSI NY nowadays :rolleyes:

13. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I don't think that was blood in the water. I've watched that again a few times where I recorded it. I think that was red mud being stirred up and disturbed by that car going in the water and moving thru it. But I do still wonder where Frank Tripp is.
    :mad: OOH!!! This dang writers' strike!!! I wish they'd hurry up and settle it!!! :mad:

14. Rosebud

Rosebud Civilian

I thought it was odd that Frank was missing too. I think that it is more likely that either Julia did something to him or that she is trying to do something. I dont think it is likely that he will have ended up killed the other withness. I think Kyle went with his mom because he knows H will always be there for him and his mother is not as sure. Kids are funny that way. they crave teh attention of a parent so bad they will often pick the one they are less sure about.

15. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

I'm curious now with the writer's strike over how they will approach the Kyle character-will his rich mom put him in some ritzy private school with uniforms or will he test out and go to college or be a rich playboy type who hangs out at the clubs ( I don't see H's son doing that though). Also how much interaction or private,personal family time will they incorporate into H's work life-Horatio seems to live at his job.