Could Canon Slash Work?

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by lament, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I'm torn on this one. I'd like to see it, but I'm not sure it'd be handled correctly. I also don't think we'll ever see one on a CSI show, but I'd be intrigued if they even partially went down that route. The only slash couple I'm into is Danny and Flack on CSI: NY. It looks like they're going down the Danny/Lindsay route for now, but what if it came out that Flack had romantic feelings for Danny? Flack stares at Danny constantly--it really does seem like there's something there on his end. It would be interesting to see an alternative love triangle there. And even if Flack's feelings ended up being unrequited, at least it would be explored, the idea of a cop having feelings for another guy. I think it could be an interesting and unusual story line.

2. tuesdaymorning

tuesdaymorning Judge

Slash will work one day, just not today.

As mentioned above, society just can not seem to wrap their brains around the idea of a same-sex relationship. Older generations are not anywhere close to it at all. They've grown up with male + female = only relationship and the thought of even putting in another same-sex boggles their minds.

Not only that but Top has made a point, it may not be handled correctly. We have to remember how people view same-sex couples. Some shows tend to make them, well, let's just say they tend to make them out of character in that of a way a gay couple would not do things.

I'd love to see one, yes, bring it! But today? Can't see it happening.

The younger generation though (the kids ready to enter college generation) may be the key to putting it all together correctly. Our views are changing and those kids are more accepting of the same-sex idea than the older generations are today.

3. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

I thought I'd bump this for all the newbies in Shipper Central. :)

4. Natasha Romanoff

Natasha Romanoff Police Officer

I prefer it when the shows focus on the cases rather then focusing heavily on the personal lifes of the character, in some ways I think it might be good, if it was written well then yeah it could work. But sometimes when they focus on the relationships it detracts from the show a little, and I agree that it may not be handled well and some people might not be comfortable with it or might not like it. While there are some people who are all for it, other people might not be, and it'll probably take time for other people to get used to the fact that there's nothing wrong with same sex couple's/relationships.

5. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

I would actually like to see a character on one of the CSIs be gay. The characters vary by their race so I don't see why they can't vary with their sexuality, too.

That said, I don't know if I'd want a slash couple on the shows. Not because I don't ship slash, because believe me, I do. But because of what other people said. The writers. I can't stand watching a ship with potiential be ruined by how the writers go with it. I don't know if they could handle that.

I find CSI can be quite slashy if you really read into it. Last weeks episode was hilarious with Greg and Nick and the bull elctro thingy. That's quite suggestive. :p But maybe that's how it should stay. Just for the slashy people to squee about when the rest don't care. :p

I wish they would have gone ahead with making Bobby gay! That would have been interesting.

I say they should try it. If people don't like it, that's their problem. It's not going to make the entire show. It would just add another dimension to it which is always cool. :)

6. Distraction

Distraction Prime Suspect

(What does it mean when it says "the form you used is no longer valid"? I hate it because I spent ages writing a post and it said just that and now it's all gone and I get frustrated. Very much. -counts-)

Anyway, all I wanted to say would be this: Canon homosexuality = yes. There are gay people in life - there should be gay people on shows. If any of the CSIs would be gay, that would be just awesome. I have rarely seen gay people on shows other than comedies, and once they are, they're most often used as comic reliefs anyway, being feminime/manly and so on. It bothers me a lot. Then of course there's L Word, but it's practically about women. That bothers me, as well - how come female homosexuality is so much more accepted than male homosexuality?
    Anyway, other than that I agree with everyone else. If the writers would tear the idea to shreds and damage the show by it, then don't do any slash. If they can, by all means do - I don't see why not. Of course, and here I go repeating again, they should be subtle about it. Let us know that they're a couple but in a way that it can be overlooked by those uncomfortable/blind, and don't shove it in our faces.

As for pairings ~ I go Danny/Flack for this. I support a lot of pairings but I believe that this one would do best on screen.

OH and guys! Where did you get the info that Bobby's gay? And why didn't they go through with that? Give me that article/interview/whatever, please. xD I'd love to read it.

7. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I think the limit is like ten minutes, so if you're on a page longer than that before trying to submit a post, you lose everything. With Firefox, I don't have to worry about it because the text is still there if I go to the previous page, but when I was using IE, I'd copy a post before submitting/continuing just in case it had been too long. :p

I think canon homosexuality could work, but I'm not sure I trust that it would be done well if they went with it. Maybe having a character be gay but with someone that isn't in the main/recurring cast as their partner--the way they were going to do it with Bobby would have been good. Having someone be gay can just be a fact, they don't have to make it a Big Deal. Too often on these types of shows, they only show gay people if they're suspects/victims, and their sexuality is usually the biggest thing about them. :rolleyes:

Here's a CSI Files article about Bobby being gay. :)

8. only_true_love

only_true_love Lab Technician

Can canon slash work? Yes, if its done properly. And it would have to be with the right characters. I think though the first step would to have someone be "outed" on the show so there is no confusion. If TPTB did this out of the blue, for instance has Nicky and Greggo kiss, many viewers might be a bit pissed. Those who dont see them as a poss. and of course any non-love fan. Once you out a character, no matter the csi, it would have to be handled carefully. If you make the focus on the character being gay or lesbian you can loose fans and not because people find homosexuality wrong. CSI is a crime drama show. And while personally, I like that we learn about the characters, too much can be bad too.

If any of the CSI's where to make a slash ship canon and/or just have them "outed" one way that TPTB could work it into the show with out it being a complete focus is to do an episode that turns into a hate crime.

You will always loose some fans because they cant stan that a character has been confirmed as gay. But if its believable and handled properly, I truely believe that it can be done.

9. jay

jay Witness

I think one of the things about these ensemble shows is that the lack of gay characters starts to get unrealistic. I mean, how many offices out there, regardless of industry, has absolutely NO out gay/lesbian employees? I understand that a lot could be in the closet, but it just doesn't make sense.

Since I know the most about CSI: LV, look at how the ships are already set up. Grissom/Sara is an older/younger relationship and Catherine and Warrick are an interracial relationship. Nick being with Greg would round that out nicely with a gay relationship.

But I agree with everyone so far. For it to be done at all, it has to be done subtly. Personally, I've already drunk the slash kool-aid, so i'm a bit biased. But in my eyes, they've already laid the groundwork. Nick and Greg's relationship, their eyesex. Nick's repeated glances at Greg's behind. The fact that, even though I know very little about CSI: NY, Flack is obviously in love with Danny...

On another note. I personally feel that Greg on CSI:LV is already bisexual. The only thing they haven't done is come out (heh) and say it on screen. It could just be a vibe, but even my non-slash friends can see it.

SO I apologize for the rambling.

10. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

You know, having a character be bisexual would definitely be a nice way to do it if you ask me--it's a bit less drastic than being gay (from the standpoint that at least they still like people of the opposite gender, so maybe it wouldn't get as much flack from the media/some fans/etc). Plus, of course, in some cases having particular characters suddenly come out and say they're gay might seem a bit off since they've been shown to be attracted to the other sex at some point, and some people would simply never accept the idea that Miss So-and-so, who flirted with Random Guy, suddenly only likes women.

11. Persona

Persona Hit and Run

My two points have already been mentioned, but since I like typing I'll just go right on ahead. :D

A homosexual character could definitely work. Society is changing and becoming far more progressive, and although there's still a lot of hostility (I'm looking at you, Iran.), it is changing little by little. With the success and overall viewership the CSI's have, a positive gay character could very well help audiences. I'm not expecting some universal form of acceptance, but if changes the views of one person who is homophobic or on the line of it, then it makes it all the more worth it.

Ah, but that's just the beginning. How the character is handled is another matter entirely. As a gay man, the last thing I want is some stereotypical limp-wristed queen dishing out fashion advice over a dead body. I can just see it now, "Girl, I can't believe you wore that skirt with those shoes. No wonder you dead."

I think CSI could successfully pull a gay character off with Bobby Dawson being a good choice. CSI is a show about solving murders with the occasional character development. I think if they were to say it just off-handedly would be fine - at least for me. You hear Sid from NY every once in a while mention something about his family, why can't a gay character? If someone can't even handle a minor character outing himself/herself conversationally than they have far more issues then homophobia.

12. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Could canon slash work?

Definitely. It's all in how the writing and characterization are handled and how good the actor portraying the gay character is.

The main problem I see with any gay relationship going canon on a primetime television show is the limitations / stereotyping the networks will predictably enforce in order to ... placate certain groups of viewers, if ya know what I mean. It's most likely these certain groups of viewers are the ones who discourage networks from OK'ing a gay relationship on primetime TV in the first place. What's most important to the networks is ratings, after all. So, more viewers = the better, even if it means closing an eye to realism and staying as 'politically correct' as possible to stay out of trouble, if ya know what I mean. :p

If primetime networks have the guts to go above discrimination towards homosexuality, then and only then might we see a gay relationship go canon on shows like the CSI franchise. However, if the networks portray the gay relationship as the typical stereotyped kind, I'd rather it not happen at all. I'm a straight female and I would get annoyed at gay people being depicted in a skewed, absurd manner.

(And if anyone's interested in which particular ship I'd love to become canon, please to be seeing my icon and banner. :devil: ;))

13. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

^^ *giggles* SO hot!

I'm one of those odd folks who doesn't see 'slash' as 'slash' It's just a relationship to me :lol:. But, reguardless of if it would work or not, saldy I don't think it would ever happen.

There are still too many people opposed to 'slash' who are so stuck in their beliefs they wont contemplate the possibility, let alone seeing in on TV. I don't think the writers/producers would risk loosing that section of their viewers by either revealing a character as gay, or brining in a new one. What do you guys think about this point?

If they did, I fear it would be for comic value like a lot of shows do. The stereotypical 'camp' gay guy brought in to add drama... that's when things get silly and unrealistic.

I'd love it to work, but I don't think it would.

14. somethingsdont

somethingsdont Lab Technician

I think that a canon slash relationship could be done with a degree of success but only if implemented correctly.

First of all, the CSI franchise has never been overly focused on characters' personal lives to begin with, and most relationships that are "canon" are merely mentioned on the side. A crime must be solved in ~42 minutes every week, so really, they don't have an infinite amount of time to explore relationships, slash or otherwise, which is precisely the reason why I think it could work.

I think that many people who believe homosexuality is "wrong" is turned off by the physical aspects of such a relationship; that is, they are unable to accept unconventional sex, or have been taught that boys kiss girls and girls kiss boys and any deviation of that is "sick." So I think that if the show were ever to try slash on-screen, they could, as many have mentioned, start subtle to test the waters (which makes sense, since save for a few mishaps we shall not speak of, they haven't really shown explicit scenes between main characters who are in heterosexual relationships either).

In this way, I don't think they will turn off enough viewers to drop their ratings, since many people are likely to tune in to see what the fuss is about, and I'd imagine a percentage of them would then become regular viewers. And quite frankly, the viewers who stop watching due to split-second hand-touching or a mention of a date need a lesson in acceptance anyway.

This has already been said, but it really is important not to fall into the stereotypes. That's probably the biggest obstacle the writers and actors would have to overcome: making a slash relationship as believable as a het one. If the characters' personalities change because of this "outing," or if the rest of the team begin treating them differently, the whole thing would disappoint even, I imagine, the people who have shipped the pair since the beginning. But if they can show that these are the same people working in the same environment, then I'd call that a success. I mean, I don't ship them, but wouldn't it be quite something if Mac overheard Danny saying something mildly suggestive to Flack, then simply gave them an amused look and kept on walking?

In my opinion, there's a fairly fine line between deep friendships and actual romantic relationships anyway, as far as emotional investments are concerned. I think that many same-sex characters on the shows are already straddling that line. It wouldn't be a huge leap to suggest that they were involved romantically.

Another reason why I think they should explore this is to see the rest of the team's knee-jerk reactions. I think it would be effective to have one of the main characters a little reluctant (emphasis on the 'little' since they are professionals who have sworn oaths after all) to accept the relationship at first, in order to represent the population of people who share the same view. Not to make it into an incredibly cliché moral or anything, but it'd be nice to show that the reluctant character eventually comes to an understanding that nothing's changed, that they are still the same friendly, funny and caring people they were before.

So, I wrote a whole lot just to say, if they treated slash the same way they treat het on-screen, it would work as well as het, which, conversely, has thus far been hit or miss. Bottom line, it'd be a challenge for everyone involved, but could canon slash work? Yes, I think it could.

15. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I see I replied to this thread ages and ages ago! This is what I thought then...

I kind of answered the question just through the lens of CSI: NY and the couple I want to see together.

To answer the question itself, "Yes, canon slash could work." Of course it could. See Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Desperate Housewives or Nip/Tuck or any number of dramas that have featured a gay couple.

Whether it would happen on the CSI shows...I don't know. The shows are on CBS with older viewers...meaning conservative network and at least partially conservative viewership. So even if the writers wanted to pair a same-sex couple, they could get shot down by the network. :(

Would I want to see it? Hell yeah. I still think Flack has a thing for Danny and that it's interesting that Danny turns to Flack for advice and solace and to talk rather than his "canon" girlfriend. I think it could be interesting to go down that road with them.