What the Writers' Strike Means to CSI: NY

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Persona

Persona Hit and Run

I'm finding myself losing more and more sympathy for writers as this goes on. You make a very valid point about its effects on those that aren't writers. For example, how many behind-the-scenes types who have families to support, mortgages to pay, groceries to buy and no money to do any of it by being out of work because the writers want more money and aren't willing to even negotiate reasonbly for it. Let's be honest, they're a little old to be playing 'so-and-so did it first!'.

More and more I'm hoping the writers get bitchslapped with a lawsuit after all of this. :(

2. flackfan_82

flackfan_82 Witness

it's a very union-like thing to point fingers and fling poo and use the media to make themselves look good...what I'm wondering is why no moderator has been brought in to resolve the issues, so that all the other workers who have been displaced as a result of this strike have a chance to resume their jobs (or has a moderator been brought in and I just missed it...)

I don't see either party getting very far in what they want, and frankly I've lost interest. I want to watch new shows, as much as I love my CSI NY reruns...

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

In defense of the writers, they have yet to receive even a reasonable offer at the table, and no negotiations are going on right now. If they were rejecting offer after offer it would be one thing, but the offers have been pretty ludicrous so far, and nobody is making any effort to get back to negotiations at this point.

The problem is, the studios know if they give the writers a deal, they have to give both the actors and directors that same deal (their contracts are up in June). So while it really, really sucks that below-the-line people are out of work--and it does suck--at this point the writers are backed into the corner. If they back down at this point they a) get a sucky deal, b) lose all credibility for future strikes/deals and c) screw DGA and SAG. They really can't back down. The studios need to offer them--and DGA and SAG--a fair deal so we can all move on.

4. Ninja1088

Ninja1088 Witness

no, they havn't gotten a reasonable offer and that isn't right. In the same breath, they put demands on the table in some of their meetings they know the studios would NEVER accept in a million years. Now all it is finger pointing and both sides trying to prove who's boss. Rest assured the longer this thign drags on, the more it will hurt everyone.

5. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Unfortunately, that's the nature of any strike. Each side is trying to gain leverage, and that usually consists of trashing the other side to a certain degree. I'm not saying it's right, but that's the way it is. As much as the strike is hurting people, the WGA giving in to settle things will hurt everyone too. I think it will hurt a lot more in the long run than sticking to their guns and hopefully getting a better deal than what was initially offered.

I still support the WGA. What they want isn't asking too much and what the AMPTP has offered up to this point has been insulting, IMO.

6. csinyfreak

csinyfreak Civilian

>_<! This is just.....sad. I mean...>_< thats all I hae to say.

7. rhythmbutterfly

rhythmbutterfly Victim

OK, I have no clue how TV works, and I don't know anything about the actors' contracts or anything like that, and I haven't heard any rumors about this at all. I'm just hoping someone who knows more about it can answer this question. Is it possible that the actors, with their many and varied talents (I'm thinking specifically of Carmine and HIll, I guess, since we've heard so much about their other pursuits) might decide not to come back after the strike?

Again, I don't know anything about how this strike/contract stuff works, so if someone could answer that without making me feel stupid, that would be awesome.

8. Top41

I think the actors are contractually obligated to the show. None of them can move on; they'll be expected back at work once the strike concludes.

9. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

Yeah, the actors are contractually obligated to the show like Top said. It is very likely they each negotiated they're own contracts individually.

So if say Hill had a 4 year contract. And the writers came back tomorrow he would probably have to finish this season. Then he has the choice to leave or come back if his contract is renewed and he chooses to. And if they don't start up again till next season then Hill either leaves the show or they offer to renew his contract, he has the option of staying but again doesn't have to. But say Carmine has a 6 year contract. No matter what happens he's still obligated to be there till season 6. (Hope that makes some sense of how it works in general rhythmbutterfly :))

So technically they could leave depending on their contract and when the strike ends. I don't know what most of there contracts actually are but I'm almost positive they are all here for quite a while :p:lol:

10. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

If I remember rightly then Gary Sinese is there till 2010 or 9... remember reading it somewhere could have been here easily.

i don't think the company could argue if the strike went on for a while and the cast worked on other projects... technically its perfect for Carmine if he wants to work on his music.

11. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

^ Yeah they can do whatever they want during the strike. Work of some sort, sit in front of the TV all day while eating cookies and salad. Although as far as TV and films go there's probably a lot less jobs and more restrictions due to the strike and all the writers being gone. And they can work on whatever projects they want when filming the show as long as it doesn't interfere with it and they can keep up.

12. rhythmbutterfly

rhythmbutterfly Victim

So the actors are still getting paid during the strike, but the crew members aren't?

Thanks for the info, everyone. Very interesting tidbits.

13. Top41

Yeah, the actors have a contract, so contractually the studio is obligated to pay them for a certain number of episodes. If they only do 14 but are contracted to do 24, I believe the studio still has to pay them for 24. The crew members don't have a contract like that. :(

14. Ninja1088

Ninja1088 Witness

this strike has become more about egos and less about the fellow man

15. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

Ouch! That would be fairly offensive if any writers stumbled in here. It's about receiving fair compensation for the fruits of their labors and it's not their job to ensure that talent, crew and all others involved in the creative process remain employed. I'm sure none of the writers feel good about the position some of the others are in at the moment, but they have to do what's necessary to negotiate the contract they deserve.