The University Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by _Hush_, Dec 18, 2007.

1. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

^ That's what I thought :eek:. I do Marketing, just Marketing, and like other core business topics. I wish I could not choose a major, I'd have taken so many random classes to see what I enjoy.

2. ilh214

ilh214 Pathologist

i'm in my 3rd semester of college and 3 credits short of being a junior. i'm majoring in broadcasting with a concentration in radio/television operations and a double minor in marketing and history. i enjoy it, well, everything except some of the classes i have to take for marketing, they bore me to death. i'm almost done with general education classes now and then it will all be classes for my major and minors.

i still live at home but i'm trying to move on campus next semester instead of next fall like i've been planning. that would require accepting a student loan which i haven't wanted to do but i simply don't make enough at my job to cover the $2500 it would take to live in a dorm next semester. eh, i'm working on figuring it out. i can't stand driving over an hour to my classes everyday.

anyway, i love college and everything about it. the classes, the experience, the people. it's all pretty wonderful.

3. WolfeWhistle

WolfeWhistle Rookie

Yeah, in American colleges you typically don't have to declare a major until your junior year. If you know what you want to major in for sure, you can take related classes during the first two years.

So yeah, I'm thinking that the options I'll have being Undeclared will help me narrow it down to what I want to do for sure when it comes time to declare my major.

4. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Another good thing to do, WolfeWhistle is to talk to your advisor. They are always a good source of information, most undeclared majors are given a head of a department or a random advisor.

But it's easy to change once you know what you might be looking for. Or they might be able to send you to professors or department heads about ideas on majors and minors.

Just passting along information I have been given and learned over the years. :)

5. WolfeWhistle

WolfeWhistle Rookie

Well, thanks. I appreciate it. :)
    I've talked to the College and Career lady at my school, which was helpful, and I know that once you get to the college I'll be going to next fall, they give you an advisor to talk to, so I think that will be good to have.

6. Tristianna

Tristianna Police Officer

Its my fourth year of college. Tehy wound up switiching my majors around, so I am now in the field of Business Administration.

I am taking most of my classes with my sister and a few friends, so its much easier to handle. Plus I am only taking my classes twice a week, so it is much easier ot still have my life.

7. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

It's interesting to see what people are majoring/minoring it. But it's also interesting to see what people want to do with their majors and minors.

Since I will be switching colleges come January I've had to modify what I want to major and minor in so now it's English major with a Studio Arts minor.

With the English I would like to edit books and work for a publishing house or write shorts stories or novels to e published. With the Studio Arts I want to do photography, sculpture, or painting. Though the minor selections might change because of limitations of the colloge but that's the basic idea.

So with that said, what does everyone want to do with their majors and minors?

8. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

I want to write children's books and take care of other people's kids. I have decided I don't need a University degree for that.

Originally I wanted to become an English/Religious Education teacher, but studying bored me way too much so I quit.

9. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

I'm a med student... I don't want to do the obvious with my major. I plan to advance (at some point) into forensic medicine and do something with that.

Also, I'm (for some strange reason) taking a psych course along side - stretching it over the entire med course, rather than the standard 3 years - and I have no idea what I'd doing with that, or whay I'm doing it for that matter.

I'll make it all fit when the time comes :D It's got me this far.

10. grssom89

grssom89 Pathologist

I'm in the middle of the whole applying to uni thing. I've had 3 offers so far and im waiting on the other two. I've applied to do a maths/statistics course and may go into teaching.

11. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

I'm doing Marketing. Why? I don't know, I don't want to work in Marketing afterwards.

12. Tristianna

My major will be used to start a family business and getm y real estate license. My sister, mom and I are all graduating at the same exact time, around March or April 2009.

13. Kam

Kam Hit and Run

all my classes have been after eleven or later. Just because I realize I'm not a morning person at all.

The only classes I've taken that constitute general anything are math and english. other than that it's all been art classes because that's the only thing that can keep my attention for more than five minutes.

It was kind of a do or die choice. I can't concentrate on anything else might as well go for an art major.

Though apparently I'm on academic suspension since I'm not much of an afternoon person either.

The biggest problem that I have with college is that I just don't fit in. Regardless of if I'm in an art class or my english class my opinions don't fit that of my classmates and when I speak up, I feel that it's different.

Though I'm always patted on the back by professors I don't know if it's because of actual talent or because they know I'm just not comfortable in the setting.

14. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

I'm at uni and I hate it. I'm studying nursing and the only reason I'm sticking with it is the thought of being a nurse next year (arghhhhh!). I hate the studying, research, assignments, lectures etc. It's just not for me. I find it so hard to get motivated to do stuff. Some of my friends love uni, but it's not great for me cos I still live at home so I don't see all the fun stuff of it. Plus I've had so many doubts about whether I'm choosing the right career. It's been pretty horrible for me at times.

Right now I'm supposed to be writing 2 assignments, due in about 3 weeks. I've done one but I can't get round to actually sitting down and doing the other one. It's the research that's the killer. My one piece of advice would be to do your assignments at the library. I never get stuff done at home. If I go to the library for a couple of hours I get more done than if I'd stayed at home all day trying to write it.

15. Tristianna

Faith: That is a very good piece of advice. The library usually keeps me focused on the task at hand. Usually I can get most of my work done there. Then I have time to relax and enjoy the finer things of life.

Kam: My first major was financial management. I always questioned if I was in the right major. I wound up on academic suspenion myself last spring term. I managed ot get refocused and pick a major that was right for me. The one thing I strongly advise for is that you pick a major/minor you love doing. Liking it is one thing, but if you love it, then you know you will fit right in. :)