Survivor? We Call It Camping ~ Canadian Thread #5

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Dragonfly, Sep 27, 2007.

1. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Re: Canadian Thread #5

Wow that is some snow...we had a day like that last week. The snow fell overnight and it looked so pretty, but by morning it was a rough drive into work. The plows couldn't keep up with the traffic and many roads were reduced to one lane either way...and I live in Newfoundland where there is not near as much traffic as say somewhere on the mainland like Toronto. Now tomorrow it is forecast for something like plus 7-8 and lots of rain, making it very slushy and lots of water on the roads. Fun times! :lol:

2. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

sandersidle you can gladly have half our snow. I think this is the most snow we've had in December in many years. I don't even recall this much snow and I've seen quite a few Decembers :) And hey it's not even officially winter yet :lol:

DJRideout you can keep the rain. This time of year I would rather have the snow. The rain is just to damp and I find the dampness just stays in the body too long.

3. allmaple

allmaple Judge

wha!!?! im in london too :p
    i dont think the storm turned out to be too bad for london, but i did get to cancel a shift at work :D i was supposed to work saturday night in guelph and come home sunday, but i would have been snowed in. luckily they were understanding and found someone to cover. and i really wanted to be there, where i work was having an elvis tribute artist and id heard all about what the people are like who come see it and it sounded fun :lol:

4. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

Oh yeah! I think we already talked about how your school Lucas totally beat my school in Red Feather. :lol: Well last year. We actually had a snow day here because they couldn't reach the buses because of the snow. :lol:

5. allmaple

allmaple Judge

yeah i think i remember that now. congrats on the snow day! i just need there to be no more bad weather for the rest of the week, i need to get to the airport and escape the snow! :lol: although i think mother nature is having an episode or something, its supposed to go back up to positive temperatures here by the end of the week.

6. allstar12

allstar12 CSI Level Three

I had a semi-snow day, yesterday. My boss decided to close our bar at 5 pm. It didn't really affect me at all, I was off at 5 anyways :lol:

The weather's actually not that bad. It's not even really cold outside, it's just the wind that makes it frigid.

7. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

Right, leave it to mother nature to make it warm when I'm going to Cali anyways. :rolleyes: Then as soon as I come back it'll be cold again. :p

8. touchcookies

touchcookies Witness

Grr I want a snow day. Not that it matters now seeing as I am already on Christmas break but still. I have never had a snow day but always dreamed about it. Of course my dreams are like in the movies where the kids all gather around the radio or tv while they wait to hear if their school is out for the day and as soon as they hear their schools name called they all run outside and meet their friends and go tobogganing. But in reality what would most likely happen would be that I would go to the bus and be standing there for about 30 minutes before I decided to go home and then I would probably just lie around and watch tv because I am afraid of tobogganing. But never the less I still want one. Maybe that is what I will ask for for Christmas. Do you hear...see that Santa?!?!?! I want a Snow Day for Christmas...or Spice Girls tickets...actually I really want the tickets, the snow day maybe we will just hold that one for next year.

9. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

This is what I faced on my morning commute today... white out

By afternoon, it was mild and raining.....freaky day today was. Typical for here though... :lol:

10. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

^Well that looks... fun. But not really.

I felt like such a kid today sledding again. But instead of a hill it was a mound of snow from a snowplow and instead of a sled we used one of those strong reusable plastic bags :lol:

11. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I wasn't out in the snow too much yesterday unless you call shoveling the mouth of the driveway at the store out :lol: Our store is on a side street off a major street and the plows had only been through once. Oh it was fun watching the cars navigate their way through. It doesn't help when most of the houses on the street don't have a driveway so they park on the street. The street is still a mess from the storm two weeks ago. Oh you got to love the city of Toronto :)

And going back to the comment about snow days for school, we never had a snow day. When I went to school there were very few school buses if any at all. We just hunkered down and walked to school. High school was about a 30 minute walk and elementary school was about a 5 minute walk. Now you've got to realize I went to school in the 60's and 70's :) nobody had issues with people walking a distance to school. Some students took the good old TTC to high school though. I found it faster to walk.

12. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

oh please i knew that wouldn't fly...they also argued that someone else framed him :rolleyes: I still can't believe he was only charged with second degree murder. If someone kills more than 20 people, he is a serial killer, meaning he defiantly PLANNED to kill them.

Re pit bulls. I grew up in Surrey, BC, where pit bulls were a very popular pet. There were several fatal or near fatal deaths from pit bull attacks. Banning them won't solve anything, people will just buy them somewhere else. I don't know why anyone would want a pit bull, I will always see them as dangerous dogs, they were and still are bred for fighting. It is a sticky situation, one with no good solution.

That storm was nasty! I had to work, meaning i had to leave my car in the parking lot and prayed that it wouldn't be stuck. I brought a shovel, and actually had to shovel the car out in a parking lot. I can't believe people actually went out shopping to future shop in that storm :rolleyes: I guess guitar hero is more important than their safety. It is good to see some parents are not too upset about not being able to get the sold out items, and they realize it is *just* christmas presents. I have seem some freaking out, it is really really sad.

13. allmaple

allmaple Judge

a dogs behaviour is often the product of its owners. so the people who suffer from dog bans are the responsible owners. when i read about pitt attacks in ontario, all i could think of was 'well, duh!' a lot of them were pitts tied up in the front yard who attacked passers by. if you have a guard dog breed and do that, you are asking for trouble. pitts can be perfectly well behaved dogs, but people need to know about the extra effort they have to put into training. that said, i would never get a pitt or any muscle breed. i like my dogs fluffy :lol:

has anyone else seen that body break is back!?!? i saw an ad the other day, i remember those two from back in the early 90s. this new ad was about the nintendo wii for exercise :rolleyes: :lol:

14. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

This thread's been busy while I was away!

It's supposed to get up to -2 today, and -1 tomorrow. So much for the coldest winter in 15 years :rolleyes:

And I'm noticing a lot of green in here....

15. allstar12

allstar12 CSI Level Three

Hey maple, those Wii things are awesome forms of exercise! I did boxing and baseball and it really works out your arms and upper body, LOL. It's awesome. Just a little too expensive pour moi.