The University Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by _Hush_, Dec 18, 2007.

1. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

So instead of rambling about it in the Rant-thread, how about a serious discussion?

Do you go to university? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? And most importantly: Why?
    What are you studying? Any courses you particularly like/dislike?
    And as exams are coming up for a lot of us. You have any tips for studying/making oral/written exams/keeping you nerves down?
    Did something funny happen in class? Please, do share :)

You still go to high school, but have questions? Feel free to ask!

Also, as this is a pretty international board, I thought it would be interesting to see the differences around the globe. :cool:

Basically, anything you can come up with that has to do with uni can go here.

2. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

I'm at uni.

I love it and I hate it.

I study medicine with a course in psych/criminology along side it. I find this incredibly rewarding, but very difficult.

The exams I take are intense, so I suggest stress reduction tactics to get you through. Early nights, no late night cramming! At all! Resist the urge to leave it one more day. Get right on your revision as soon as you can.

As a psychology student, I know that immediate rehearsal leads to longer lasting memory traces. So go home, or back to your halls, and spend ten/twenty mins reading over your notes from the day. That will keep it in your mind for longer, meaning you don't have to re-learn when it comes to exams.

God Luck in exams everyone! :)

3. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I'm currently in college. It's fun I like the people but the classes have gotten so mundane that I'm bored and don't pay attention half the time.

I have one real exam to take and that is for Math. The rest was a singing concert for Choir and then a snort presentation.

I'm majoring in English and Communications and Minoring in Threatre and Photography. Yes a bit of an odd paring but to graduated from the college I will be transfering to in Spring I have to have an interdisciplinary major or minor.

As for tips if you have to give a speech, try praticing in front of a mirror then you get used to looking at someone when you are giving it. I do this a lot with my lines for shows as well.

Also study in short period if you go for hours on end your brain will become tired quicker. Also studying witha group of people works because you mix learning with having fun.

4. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I did bit over 100 credits in Open University and that's how I finally got in Uni this autumn. I am in the most northern university of European Union ;)

My first plans was Animal Science and get master degree in Forestry and Agriculture, but since it's hard to get ( for stupid reasons :rolleyes: ) I took the 2nd fave thing, which is politics.

So I have International Relations as major and Political Science as minor. Planned to take Enviromental Studies as 2nd minor, but now I did little research and should be possible to get Rural studies as 2nd minor.

I haven't been much at uni during the autumn :p Spring will be more exciting, languages and all.

The one thing why it's pretty hard for me is the fact that it's so 'free' - there's no one to tell you what to do and when. Like almost the only 'compulsory' lectures (that you have to be there) are languages :rolleyes:

As for studying, I have to write notes. I remember it better when I write it down. Of course most of the books are in English so it takes bit more time and sometimes I just write even my notes in English :p

But rather scary is to answer in exam in English. Damn that we now have British professor :rolleyes:

5. touchcookies

touchcookies Witness

My first year at college and I seriously dislike it. Not only am I basically incapable of making friends but I also have absolutely no work ethic.

I am taking General Studies but that is only because I applied too late to get into Bachelor of Arts. I wanted to major in Anthropology and minor in maybe Education or something like that, but now I am not so sure.

I finished all my exams and I am currently terrified that I didn't pass them. The thing is they only give you two classes to fail and then you are out which is nerve racking. and to pass you have to get like 65 ish. There is no more sliding by with a 50. Yeah I am kind of a bad student. I don't try to be but it just endsup that way

6. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

I'm in Uni. I hate it. I study English. I originally wanted to become a teacher and there was no other way to do that but study.

I'd still like to be a teacher but I'm so sick of studying. I have tried it for a year but it's not my thing. I hate that most classes bore me, I hate that I get homework, I hate that I have to stick to the rules and regulations or else I'll have to repeat classes, I hate that a majority of the students are unable to speak coherrent English, I hate that it takes so long to finish (3 years, if you pass all classes & exams) and I hate the atmosphere. I feel a little lost in the system and all I can think of when I sit in class is getting away. I don't have a goal in front of me and thus studying feels very pointless at the moment.

Therefore I have decided to drop out and instead try to become a kindergarten teacher or something of the likes. I won't have to study for that. Hopefully it will work out for me next year.

I want to work with kids, not with books.

7. CalleighD

CalleighD Lab Technician

I'm not at Uni yet...but I've applied to 5 and now I'm waiting for offers, it's doing my brain in :S I just wanns know what I have to aim for in my exams in the summer. *fingers crossed* I'll get an offer for the course I [Ireally[/i] want to do, which is Geology with Micropalaeontology (haha a mouthful I know) else I'll have to settle for Geology/Biology or Oceanography.
    I'm excited though, I can't wait to go. All my friends went his year and they're telling me horror stories about the exams and the work, but it hasn;t put me off yet.

8. saraneth

saraneth Witness

I'm still in high school but only until friday. I have finals this week and then I'll be attending a community college for one semester.

I got accepted to my number one choice college with a $40,000 scholarship. I will be attending Carroll College in Wisconsin starting next year. I am going to be double majoring in Forensic Chemistry and Criminal Justice and minoring in psychology.

I am really excited! My best friend is going to the same school so we will be rooming together.

9. CalleighD

CalleighD Lab Technician

Congrats on your scholarship.
    Uni is not that expensive here compared to elsewhere (apart from Scotland where it is free) but it's the living costs that just rack up.
    I wont get good enough grades to get a scholarship, but I am poor enough to get a bursary from the government lol.
    Whatever Uni I choose I'm going to end up moving to a completely different part of the country, and I don't have any family near there at all. I'm excited and scared at the same time. Has anyone completely moved away from their family to go to Uni? What's it like?

10. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Umm... Here University is free as well (like all studies), tho they are planning to set tuition fees for non-EU students (it's been free for everyone).

then, you have to be some damn genius to go thru uni in 3 yrs, 4 is possible but usually it's 5 because everyone goes after master degree because any less doesn't really count or doesn't help. Tho I'll probably be there only 3 yrs, but I have 2-3 yrs studies behind already :p

Then for living costs..The Social Insurance Institution of Finland is there for a student. Student grant e.g. for me (over 20, lives alone) is 259.01€/month and you can get it during the 60 months - summermonths (June-Aug you don't get it, unless you can prove you do courses during the summer) It is supervised so you actually have to study (they get the records of your studies) or you have to pay it back.

Then rent, the same institution pays 80% of it, but there is a limit as well (so you cannot go to really expensive place :p ) and it works the same way than student grant.

I live in small place, it's normal building but is something like 'a dorm' because there's one girl living in the same apartment, but it's pretty individual because kitchen and bathroom are between our rooms and both have own doors there, so you basicly don't have to even see your roommate if you don't want to :p

Oh yes, Uni is 400km to north from where my family is. I knew no one, non of my 'friends' have gone to study there, but meh, you get new friends.

11. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

I did a one year college program last year and I loved it! Loved the program and loved the school in general. Currently I'm taking a year off and I'm also current applying and preparing to audition to university's in the US for theatre (Why must your applications be so loooooooooong!!!!!!!!!!)

I was in a theatre program(Which is not always a walk in the park like some people tend to think) and we didn't really have exams per say. We had plenty of performances though. All I can say is if you're doing anything oral make sure you're prepared, people will know if you're not. You'll also look stupid as hell. Being prepared in general helps keeps your nerves down for any kind of exam.

There was only one class I didn't like because it was pointless! We had this computer class where we would spend an entire hour and a half learning how to send out emails. I kid you not and best quote ever from that teacher "Wikipedia most of the time is more reliable than the Encyclopedia Britannica"

Well I guess you can consider my friend bringing his 7 foot python to class funny... or terrifying :lol:

12. Kam

Kam Hit and Run

I'm kind of in college. Took the semester off to get my head straight and should be going back this semester. I say should but... I'm highly confused at it now.

I'm an Art Major though, and if I remember correctly its with an emphasis on design. I don't know because when I first went I just told my advisor whatever was best. I didn't want to go and was just doing it for minutes.

I've ended up liking it in the end because my art classes are interesting. It's fun to learn how to do things. Now if they would only allow me to take painting I'd probably be extremely happy.

I hate that it's such a hassle for me to get advised and to just get registered. But it all has to do with my transcripts and I failed the thea so I have to take remidial maths. *bashes head*

Least favorite class is English or composition. Not because it's hard but because I already know all that they're teaching. I was in pre-Ap or AP in English for two years in highschool and the only reason I hadn't taken the test to get me out of these first classes is because I tested out of a lot of my classes (including those two english classes) and graduated early.

If I could just take the art classes I'd be fine lol.

13. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

OK, So I'm at uni, and I really don't like it.

I don't know what I want to do when I graduate, when I was at school I didn't know what to do at uni, hence, I am stuck doing Marketing, and I swear, I am the least likely person to do Marketing ever, I'm so shy...

Anyway, I pay like £3070 a year to go, and I have what 5 lectures a week. About 30000000 pieces of group work, why can't we have individual assignments?!

I live at home as well, which is about 35 miles from uni, so I have to get the train in every day, which is annoying..

I really wish I'd done something like politics or international relations, or forensics and crime.. And I wish I'd gone to another Uni, maybe then I'd like it.

But I haven't got the guts to drop out, becuase I'd have to pay like £14000 back that I don't have, and I still wouldn't know what I want to do..

I mean, before uni I was told I had to go by the school, and with hindsight I really wish I'd looked for more things to do instead.

My business teacher in 6th form told me my uni was like 3rd best in the UK for business, and if I went there i'd do really well etc.. So in the end I ended up here, not enjoying it one bit... :(

14. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

Would you still have to pay that much back if you didn't drop out but just changed your course of study?

And why do you have to pay that much anyway?

In Germany most Universities have tuition fees now (mine doesn't yet) you pay up to 500€ each semester, if you stop paying you're out. There's no fee for quitting early though. I don't really see the sense behind that. Studying is expensive enough as it is, what with moving out, paying rent and food, books and alcohol etc.

by the way, today was the 3rd week in a row taht I skipped classes, meaning I officially failed all my courses now. Except one, which I'd have to get up at 7 in the morning for tomorrow... My girlfriend wants to go though, as the lecture is about the same stuff her exams will be about, so she thinks it might spare her the studying at home if she repeats it in class hehe.

15. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

If I changed my course totally I'd restart year 1, which would be another lot of money on top of what I've already got to pay. I mean I already changed at the end of year one so I didn't have to spend the 3rd year abroad, I wish I hadn't done that now. Hindsight eh?! But that didn't take me back a year becuase it was a common first year for everybody doing different business degrees.

The tuition fee at my uni is £3070 a year, but like we have the student loan company pay it and we pay it back after graduation. If I quit, i'd have to pay back the £3070 from last year, and this year ,as well as the £3000 and £2000 maintenance loans.

Which is why I don't want to quit and have nothing to show for it except debt!

It is expensive, especially for what you get out of it!

I still live with my parents, uni is close enough to stay at home, so I don't pay rent, but yeh books and travelling every day is expensive.

lol your girlfriend seems committed to going, maybe you should go just to keep her company lol.

I have to get up at 6.30 for a lecture on a monday morning, I went to the first one, and after that I didn't go!

But our lectures aren't registered, so if i just didn't turn up for 3 weeks nobody would notice- well my friends would think i was being lazy lol, but no-one at the uni would notice.

We have to pay the stupid amount per year because the Government thought it was a good idea.. enough said!!

What are you going to do now then? Just try and find a kindergarten job?

I wish I would just do something about me hating it, like you have. I just carry on as if everything is great.

I do the same sitting in lectures wondering why I'm there!

Maybe it'll be better next semester-- yeah right!!