Stand up

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by loki, Dec 19, 2007.

1. loki

loki Lab Technician

I was wondering if there were any other fans of stand up comedy here. I'm really into stand up, myself, I watch more of it than any show out there, I'm sure :lol:

I especially like Demitri Martin and Mitch Hedberg. They have similar styles, I think, with really short jokes and every sentence is a punchline. I also like comics who go outside of the box and do more than just stand up, like Jeff Dunham with puppets and Stephen Lynch with his guitar.

Anyone else?

2. saraneth

saraneth Witness

JEFF DUNHAM IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!
    Jeff: But achmed, you're dead.
    Achmed: -Looks at jeff- Are you sure?

And of course, Dane Cook. Annd I am a HUGE Robin Williams fan (for both his stand up and acting).

3. loki

loki Lab Technician

Oh, I am a much bigger fan of Robin William's stand up than his acting. I didn't even know he DID act for the longest time :lol:

Dane Cook is pretty funny, too.

Jeff Dunham's act totally takes the cake, lol. The one he did forever ago with the 3 puppets at once AND drinking was simply incredible. He should win an award for that!

4. saraneth

saraneth Witness

He is truly talented! I could NEVER do that even if it was to save the world from destruction. I don't know anyone else that can do what Jeff Dunham does.

5. loki

loki Lab Technician

Haha. I've never seen any other ventriloquists before, so I'm not sure how funny they usually are, but the fact that Jeff can mix talent and comedy like that is amazing.

Ron White is another comedian I really like. I was just watching his last act yesterday. He was the only funny one out of the redneck bunch, I think.

6. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Instead of the usual kitchen gadgets or computer stuff, for the last two years and also this Christmas, I got my friends some standup comedy DVDs and cassettes. Among them were some of my favorites:

Bill Cosby: A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice.

Steven Wright: How do you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Rodney Dangerfield: I tell ya when I was a kid, all I knew was rejection. My yo-yo, it never came back.

Also, Gallagher, Maryellen Hooper, George Carlin, Bob Newhart, Jeff Dunham, Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall, Robin Williams, Ellen DeGeneres, Imo Phillips, John Pinette, and others.

7. loki

loki Lab Technician

Haha, I wish someone would get me stand up for Christmas. I always end up with Music CDs that I never listen to. Or socks or something :lol:

I love George Carlin, and Rodney Dangerfield is a classic. It sucks that most of the really good comics are dead.

8. saraneth

saraneth Witness

Rodney Dangerfield and Ellen DeGeneres are sooo funny! I totally forgot about them.

I loved Ellen's Here and Now.

Oh, she tripped, no she's running. I thought she tripped, but she's running. She stopped, she did trip. YOU TRIPPED!
    [nodding at friend] She tripped.

9. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

I have, and some of the bad stuff is... bad.

I love Russel Peters, Ellen DeGeneres, Jeff Dunham, John Stewart, Robin Williams(But the man sweats like their is no tomorrow :lol:). Dane cook is ok. I like his older stuff.

I also really like watching those random stand up shows on comedy channels or going to a comedy club and just watching people their. They may not be well known but their sure as hell are some funny people out their.

10. loki

loki Lab Technician

I can imagine...

I've never seen Ellen DeGeneres's stuff. I haven't watched Jon Stewart's stand up, either. I'm a horrible fan :lol:

I would love to go to some comedy clubs, but there aren't any around where I live. I'm going to have a hay day when I move away though, lol. Or at least take a trip to New York, where the good stuff is.

11. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

loki(and anyone else) If you ever get the chance to see live stand up do it! If you like watching it on tv you will love it live. Toronto has good stuff too :p

12. loki

loki Lab Technician

Oh, no question. As much as some people want to see all the great cities or the 8 wonders of the world, I want to see the greatest living comedians :lol:

I would go see anyone, though, as long as it was some form of stand up. Just being in that kind of environment would make the whole experience even more amazing, I think.

Ha, maybe I'll take a trip to Toronto, too :p