1001 things you don't do in a fanfic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by pretty_in_pink, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Hestia

Hestia Coroner

Yes, I can understand the excitement of posting a new multi-chapter fic (I'm currently feeling the same way about a different fandom) but sometimes I don't have time to work on it. Sometimes I work on it when I have time; but other times I work on it when an idea srikes me, spare time or no spare time! :cool:

The problem with posting a fic when you're still doing it is that even if you do have the outline in your head, you never know if something's gonna come up. Real life is random like that, and not having an unfinished fanfic up online eliminates any pressure or guilt of updating in a "timely manner".

Of course, this is all my personal opinion and I understand and even agree with yours. It's just one of the things I've imposed on myself: I shall not read an unfinished multi-chapter story, no matter how many rave reviews it gets. Plus the CSI fandom has alot of one-shot fics. :)

And your pet peeve is a good one. Characters don't belong to the fic writers; they merely borrow the characters to produce something interesting/entertaining. Just because they love a character, doesn't mean their interpretation of said character is the only explanation for their actions.

As has been said previously, grammar and spelling are a must, and a little research is always great. I've never used a beta but that just means I have to be extra careful as to what I write. Sometimes one or two mistakes come through but I like to think that no beta means I keep my spelling/grammar senses sharp (this post, for example, has been revised four times prior to posting).
    I'm not knocking betas, heck, I may get one for the current multi chapter fic I'm working on for my other fandom, but I guess it's just a good incentive for reading and re-reading my unfinished work, making changes where necessary (and not just technical ones). Microsoft Word is my only beta... although it's not perfect. :p

2. AliGtr

AliGtr CSI Level One

I agree with that. And it annoys me when the character who is raped then leaps into a relationship with the hero of the piece, who is supposed to make everything better.

I have to confess, I wrote a fic where one of the male characters is raped and I deliberately tried not to soften the violence. I didn't want to make it all fairytale and out of focus - the rape was an awful thing and it had long-lasting effects. I hope I managed to portray that too, even though my two characters managed to get a relationship together before the end of the fic.

Something else that bothers me about the male/female thing is when male characters get called by their surname, and the female characters by their first name. It happens all the time, in fanfic and in books, and it's such a double standard!

On a totally different tack, something that annoys the hell out of me is "could of". *screams* "could HAVE"! :mad:

3. Cara1090

Cara1090 Dead on Arrival

I’m no author, I’m just a reader but I hate it when writers combine words together. It makes it hard to read and it’s just irritating. . For example: Themorningafter or aroundthecorner. They are separate words, damn it.

4. Kam

Kam Hit and Run

^on your note:

correct use of hyphens.

Chances are, if you don't use them I won't notice the problem. But if you use them incorrectly I'm gonna want to shoot something. :mad:

5. Skell

Skell Rookie

That's a very interesting point.
    I rarely see people using hyphens, and I think that's because people don't know when to use them.
    Do you mean in between words or to say something on the side of a sentence?

6. AliGtr

AliGtr CSI Level One

Authors would be nothing without readers. It would be like shouting in a forest with no one to hear. We depend on you, and in my opinion, the pickier the reader, the better.

I agree totally about running words together and about the inappropriate use of hyphens. But the thing that gets me even more than that is the inappropriate use of apostrophes. It makes me grit my teeth, whether it's in a fic or a menu or whatever. (It's a little OT, I know, but I cannot believe that people pay to have signs printed on their vans / shops / carrier bags with incorrect spellings / punctuations. :eek: )

7. CalleighD

CalleighD Lab Technician

I'm definitly more of a reader than a writer, and the thing with apostrophes really annoys me too, maybe it's just me, but I feel like it kind of break up the story a bit, when the apostrophes are used in the wrong places.

8. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I can tell you what not to do as a writer. I'm currently working on three fics at the moment. One has taken me almost a year to complete. :eek:

Anyway, The easier thing when writing is to break you story up into chapters. It's easier to write and it's easier on your beta to read. Unless of course it's a one-shot. :)

I am telling you this out of personal experience :eek:. One of my fics I just wrote and wrote and it's all one piece. I had to break into to chapters to figure out where it's going.

So,
    my reccomendation is as a writer and a reader, break your fics up into chapters.

9. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

Here's a bit of a change, something you should do before writing a fic. If you are adding origional characters take a Mary Sue test. There is nothing I hate more than Mary Sues. Some are okay, if they are 'on the verge' of being a Mary Sue, but true sueness can kill at story. I reccomend these tests; take them, with honesty, and then make any corrections to the character that will help your character be realistic.
    Writer's Mary Sue Test
    Mary Sue Litmus Test
    Personally prefered the first one. Check them out, then write your origional characters

10. Skell

Skell Rookie

Just to clarify, Mary Sues are the "perfect people" who have no flaws, issues, are flat characters, et cetera?

11. CSI_in_training

those are the ones.
    Mary Sues can be:
    Perfect in every way
    Beautiful beyond belief
    Extrodinarily talented/smart/ect
    Have the most tragic of pasts yet always positive or guilt ridden
    Always get the guy/girl no matter if the character was in a relationship prior to their arrival
    there is a wikipedia article about it attached to the second link.

12. Skell

Skell Rookie

That's what I thought. Yay. :D

Then who are the characters who had horrible lives and are amazingly depressed beyond belief and painfully angsty?
    Or the ones who lead perfect lives/had perfect lives, but feel like they have the worst lives?

Think they aren't Mary Sues... there's a different name for them, right?

13. CSI_in_training

I believe they're still considered Mary Sues. one is the Angsty Sue, who is incredibly tragic to the point where you no longer sympathize. The other is the Generic Mary Sue, who is perfect in all ways.

14. umbrello

umbrello Rookie

I'm not sure what number we're on, but here goes:

Having the characters act like love-struck, angst-filled teenagers. It's really annoying.

15. Jennifer

Jennifer Lab Technician

I'll second that one! How about having any female character burst into tears at the drop of a hat. I hate that to no end. As soon as I see that in a fanfic I immediately quit reading and move on to something else. There isn't a single regular female character on any of the CSI shows that is that weak of a person.