'CSI' Toy May Be Dangerous

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Dec 6, 2007.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

A CSI toy tests positive for asbestos.

The Asbestos Disease Awareness Organization (ADAO) hired labs to run tests for the presence of the dangerous substance, and several holiday toys tested positive. One of these toys was the CSI Fingerprint Examination Kit. High levels of two types of asbestos were found in two out of the three fingerprint powders that are included in the kit.

Asbestos is the term used to describe minerals that are added to products to "resist heat and corrosion", according to a fact sheet issued by the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA). Inhaling asbestos can lead to serious diseases in the lungs or other organs. The hazardous fibers themselves are microscopic. The ADAO is dedicated to providing education and awareness about the dangers of asbestos and preventing long-term health risks associated with the substance.

CBS Consumer Products immediately ordered an independent test to check for the presence of asbestos in the fingerprint kit. The kit is manufactured and distributed by Planet Toys in New York. According to a CBS spokesman, "If the toy is determined to be unsafe, then we will insist that the licensee remove it from the market."

The original article is from News Daily. The OSHA fact sheet about asbestos can be found here.<center></center>

2. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Good to know that everyone is looking out for dangers this Holiday season.

It's going to be interesting to see what's popular with all the recalls going on.

3. Shipwrecked

Shipwrecked Police Officer

I was seriously going to get that for my brother.

I'm glad I know what's in it now.

4. midnightbellzza

midnightbellzza Coroner

AH! Uhhh...I kind of took my fingerprint kit, and fingerprinted all over the house! Uh-ohh...well, I really hope it doesn't kill me and my roommates...uhh.

5. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Lead in some toys, asbestos in others. Merry Christmas to all.