correct forensics

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by major_csi_fan, Nov 30, 2007.

1. major_csi_fan

major_csi_fan Witness

I am just wondering if anyones knows if any of the technquies used in the whole are accurate if so what are they cud you give sum examples because i know things they do on the show that wudnt happen in real life lol

2. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Most of the techniques used on the show are accurate, the time isn't obviously, but the science is pretty much right.

If you could mention any specific examples, I could help more. Or check out the other thread on here, they have some good information.

3. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

you know the way they spray something to see if they've got gsr on it? and if yes it turns purple, well that's a good example of something being accurate (the sodium rhodizonate test) but exagerated : normally it's a mixture of blue and purple ( for baryum and lead) and you would have to have transferred on sticky paper first ...

4. Forensics_Guy

Forensics_Guy Witness

The sodium rhodizonate test turn red/pink in the prescence of lead. It turns blue/purple when a dilute (5%) hydrochloric acid solution is sprayed on afterwards.

It doesn't react with baryum.

5. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

For a project, I used that test and it did react with baryum it turned a dark red.

However the diluted hydrochloric acid is specific to lead.

6. Forensics_Guy

Forensics_Guy Witness

That's fascinating. I've never heard about that, or read about that in the relevant scientific journals. You should definitely publish your experiment.

Also please note that in real life situations, you will probably never come across baryum without lead in sufficient quantities for that to be a useful test. Baryum in real shooting incident situations is almost always present with lead, as part of primer residue.

7. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

Actually, it's also said in quite a few french books ...