Grade 'The Thing About Heroes'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 28, 2007.

1. CSINEWYORK000

CSINEWYORK000 Lab Technician

GRADE : A + :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Overall it was a great episode. All of the puzzle pieces came together to finalise the 333 saga.

It was interesting for me because I never suspected Drew at all - he wasn't on my list. It was an interesting reveal of the story, and the way it was set up.

However, I think they could of ended the episode differently.

Another thing I would like to add: Good for you Danny! :D
    Danny saving the team was definatly the highlight of the episode.

2. Islandgirl

Islandgirl Police Officer

Good ep. I enjoyed all the team interaction and Mac angst. Also liked that Stella's stalker/boyfriend turned out to be the bad guy.
    My major problem with the ep was with the flashback. How was it that the only options THREE teenage boys had when ONE man (in his 20s or 30s, it looked like) went beserk and started beating up one of them was to either let him beat their friend to death or shoot him? ONE 16-year-old boy is a pretty even match for a grown man. . .THREE teenage boys (not even counting the younger boy who was lurking in the corridor) is MORE than enough to "gang up" on single man, no matter how strong or angry he might be!

3. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

Have to agree totally there, the 333 thing hasn't grabbed me as i thought it would but the minute he started retelling the story it was almost annoying because i've seen it so many times know i think we all know.

I gave it an A bordering on A+

Runaway Train was cool way to start, I loved Danny's face as the doors shut he always looks good as the hero. That whole sequence was good opener and the twist with the whole 333 was clever not that I didn't expect it.

I liked the Chicago cop but I was watching it thinking is this an intro to CSI:Chicago specially in the morgue but I think that is more my mind working.

Lindsays hair took me a while to realise was shorter but I do prefer the short to the long but i don't get the shorter still, still suits her i think though.

Adam geeking out was classic :lol: and Danny's face, priceless interaction between them.

Drew... If i didnt know he was the stalker i would have been surprised but seeing as i already knew it wasn't that hard... But the most frustrating was that i still found him rather sexy :mad: even being a bad guy, and it made me soften slightly even though he was evil.

It was nice to see Sinclair finally kind of step down off his pedestal and join them, finally he's realised that Mac isn't stupid.

Flack i just loved but i would have liked more flack/mac interaction because when they met in chicago it was nice to see them Talk.

:D Loved the episode... wasn't really anything bad to say.

4. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Before I say anything else, let me say this: "The Thing About Heroes" was entertaining. I did not find it a waste of an hour and wish I'd spent that time irrigating my brain pan with a wooden power drill and a chisel. However, I have Issues with certain aspects of the story.

Mactimony strikes again. This is hardly shocking because well, it's Mac, and he thinks he was the cause of the Big Bang Theory. I was surprised that he tried to wield his Mac Hammer of Holy Righteousness in Chicago. Mac's arrogant, yes, but he's not stupid. He's been around long enough to know that treading on other department's jurisdictions is a big no-no, especially when you don't bother to place a courtesy call first. He certainly didn't like it when Homeland Security got up his NY business in the Pierpont case last season.

Yet there he is, lording his impotent NY badge in Chicago as if it actually matters. To his credit, he's momentarily abashed when the Chicago detective reminds him that he's just a civilian in that city, but thirty seconds later, he's just as dismissive and condescending as ever, and thirty minutes later, he's lying to detectives about what he knows. Very badly, I might add, but Mac struts out like he's a supermodel, smug as Sylvester after a Tweety sandwich.

Isn't this the same man who prates about truth and honor? He behaved with none of those throughout this case. Instead, he behaved with the same self-interest as any sleazy perp. I can't fault Mac for his actions as a fourteen-year-old, but I do fault him for his conduct as a man, and this episode has severely diminished his credibility-such as it was-for me. Mac is an unacknowledged hypocrite. Period.

He's also a narcissist. It's always about him. Even when it's not. When he meets Will's brother on the bridge, he insists that he has no regrets, as if that matters to Jimmy, or should. As Jimmy points out, it doesn't, because Mac didn't lose anything that night. But to Mac, his outcome is all that matters.

His self-involvement is on view when Stella calls to tell him about the train mishap that nearly killed his entire team. Does he even bother to ask if they're all right? No. He just tells her to get back to work, solving his drama. Ass.

It puts in one more appearance in the confrontation with Drew Bedford. Mac tries to wheedle out of the situation by referencing his nightmares and his pain. Leaving aside the fact that this directly contradicts his comment to Jimmy that he doesn't regret that night, it's also exceedingly stupid. Why would Andrew care? He wouldn't. In fact, he wants to hurt Mac as deeply as possible. This raises the question of why he didn't choose to strike earlier, when Mac was presumably at his happiest with Claire, but that's another tine in my bitchfork.

If Mac behaved like an entire case of Summer's Eve, then the rest of the team was phenomenal. Especially Sinclair, who must've forgotten that memo he thought Mac leaked and his more recent flouting of departmental regulations. Sinclair suits up to help Mac bring Bedford down. Yay, Sinclair, even if your solidarity was the product of slapdash writing. Either that, or early onset Alzheimer's has made you forget that Mac is essentially blackmailing you and Gerrard to keep his job.

Yay, Danny, for being a badass.

Mactimony aside, I want to know how five -year-old Drew managed to keep track of Mac for thirty years. Mac left for the military at eighteen, and I doubt he was keeping the family of his dead friend posted on his whereabouts. And how could no one have noticed a traumatized child in the doorway? It's not like he was peeping furtively around the doorjamb.

Sloppy, sloppy writing, but the actors, bless them, made it work.

B-

5. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

I didn't like Flack wanting Mac to have killed Drew, what's wrong with you guys? You should shot to the leg if necessary not kill people, disgusting.
    Or the team using Jimmy as a guinean pig, what if Drew's gun was aiming to the head instead? The vest wouldn't have saved him.

The rest of the ep was ok.

Mac-"Doing that you only get yourself killed".
    Drew-"I can live with that".
    Hmmm...No, you can't.lol

6. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Well, Flack was technically correct, even if it was morally repugnant. Police officers are trained to aim for center mass. Shooting in the leg sounds good, but leaves the possibility that the criminal could still shoot officers and innocent bystanders. If Drew had managed to get off another shot and blow out Flack or Stella's brains, Mac could've faced sanctions or even criminal charges. I suspect that Flack was irked that Super!Mac put the needs of his conscience above the safety of the others in the room.

7. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Ok I have only had time to check out a couple of minutes of the ep but I love it so far! But I agree Im not really liking the recap- as much as I love Mac all these flask backs are just getting annoying at least we shouldnt get anymore!! Oh another thing I liked was Sinclaire joining in at the end atfer his and Macs little convo! :D

I love that :lol:

8. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I enjoyed this episode. It was very well done, and the train 'ride' at the beginning was great.

I don't usually post in review threads because I feel that anything I have to say has already been said, so I'll just do it this way:
    Well, that about sums it up :lol:

9. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I haven't read any of the reviews, so I'm probably gonna be repeating a lot. In other words, business as usual. I'm also stealing Fay's format for this one. I like it and I'm too lazy to put together too many coherent paragraphs.

Overall grade: B
    Grade for surprise on who the 333 stalker was: F-

I didn't read any spoilers that stated Drew was the guy, but like some other people here, I pegged it from the first minute the dude appeared on screen. Aside from Drew being the obvious stalker, I like how things played out.

Ok now on to the rest:

--Oooh! A recap for those who haven't gotten enough of Mac going through the whole saga 847 times already.

--"No woman wakes up at 3:33 AM to make an anonymous phone call," Lindsay said. "You sure about that?" Danny answers. What a dumb thing for her to say.

--Run away subway car! OK, here's the plan. Stella, Hawkes and Flack, you all be proactive and try to stop the train. Lindsay, you stand there and do nothing.

--Action!Danny is on it. Don't worry, team.

--If all else fails, hurl a rock.

--"Can somebody tell me what just happened?" Lindsay says. I know it's hard, but try to pay attention, dearie.

--ZOMG, DON! 333!

Meanwhile in Chicago . . .

--How dare you question me. I'm Mac Taylor and I have no time for your insolence!

--HANGMAN! Liek for reelz.

--You'll fill in the blanks. Tee hee hee, Mac.

Back in NYC . . .

--Danny didn't come barreling down the stairs knocking over every man, woman and child in his path to make sure his twu wuv sole mate wasn't harmed. WHUT? He was genuinely concerned about Stella, though.

Back in Chicago . . .

--Way to multi-task, Mac. Fingerprints and hangman at the same time.

--Uh, Mac? U not B in charge here, K?

--Dear God, not the story again!

--Look how much easier things work when you play well with others, Mac.

Back in NYC . . .

--SID!!

--Since when does Lindsay call Hawkes "Doc?"

--Um, shouldn't you two be more concerned about the Anthrax?

--Sinclair. "This can't be good." You're right Flack.

--Flack covers for Mac by using an amusing facial expression.

--Adam, I know you're all geeked out over the subway highjackers mad skillz, but don't be too impressed with crazy train man.

--"You're so impatient." Yes, Adam, that's our Danny.

--Adam should have been standing over the puzzle of NYC when he said "You can take over the world." Then he should've laughed maniacally. I'm just sayin'.

Back in Chicago . . .

--Mac's not playing nice anymore.

--Jimmy and Mac almost look the same age. If you squint. Really hard. Um, no they don't.

--Little Andy? As in anDREW?!?!

--"I'm sneaky like that." and "As long as it's not on the subway." Flack, U is so funny.

--Young!Mac doesn't look like Adult!Mac at all. Not even a little bit. I suppose now that I said that I'll find out it was Gary's kid who played kid Mac. :p

Back in NYC . . .

--Anthrax explanation. Thank you.

--"You OK?" Yeah, you sound real concerned there, Linds.

--Smart!Stella returns. Yaaaay!

--"Aren't you two seeing each other?" Deduction skillz, you lacks them, Linds.

--ZOMG!!! DREW IS THE 333 STALKER! WHAT A PLOT TWIST! YOU CAN KNOCK ME OVER WITH A FEATHER CUZ I DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMIN' AT ALL. :rolleyes:

Back in NYC . . .

--Team Kevlar!

--See, Mac? All you had to do was explain to Sinclair and he isn't mad. He wants a piece of that action.

--Three other trained officers, one of them the cheif, and no one heard Drew bash Mac over the head and drag him away? Now, that's an example of embarrasing, Sinclair.

--Take Charge!Danny. Leading the charge to find Mac is sexxay!

--Fast paced team scene. Until Anna Belknap speaks. Then the scene comes to a screetching halt while she attempts to spit out her lines.

--Wow, Drew, you have quite the elaborate plan. I know you were a kid and all when everything went down, but why did it take 30 years to avenge your brother's death?

--Uhh, wait. Mac lead the drug bust? What happened to Super!Flack? Damn media.

--Room 333!

--Mac, please, change that damn ring tone.

--Rut Rho! Jimmy's coming through the door, time to abandon the plan, Drew.

--Flack is pissed, big time.

--So, Mac was supposed to shoot to kill, but he was being Empathetic!Mac and only shot him in the arm. I'm glad that worked out for you Mac and Drew didn't end up hurting someone on your team.

10. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

^^^^ I loved your review :lol:

I also knew it was going to be drew even though I tried to conince my self it wasnt going to be him- who else would it have been!!

11. Lorelai

Lorelai CSI Level One

A
    Really liked this one! A good entertaining episode.
    Good closure for the 333. Yeah, predictable, but still fun! ;) Glad that creepy Drew is gone mostly for Stella’s sake, but I’ll miss Kerr! :(

And we gotta hear Mac’s 333 story one more time…

What do u mean Lindsay? Why not a woman. If I wanna make a point I ‘ll be up at any hour it takes! U tell her Danny! “U sure about that?” ( Aww, u did! *hugs* )
    Flack, u are so pretty! And hot when in control!
    OUCH! LOLZ Danno I love u! Danny is Danny, figure he’ll react to the big booboo. Good to have ya back Danny Messer! [​IMG]

In the train.. trapped! Bossy Flack! Me likes it! [​IMG] “If this is a joke so help me God…” I believe u baby! No one would wanna piss u off!

Lindsay, being Captain Obvious again.. Like u’r voice huh?

LOLZ Danny said “what the hell”. HOT Danny running like that. HOTTER Flack, being a gentleman & opening the doors. lol Look Danny : buttons! U know u wanna push them! ;) LMAO Did Danny just made a sound like a snarl or a growl? So adorable! Buttons not working… It makes sense he’ll be all the Danny he can be and throw something! LOL And Danno saves the day!

Back at the train.. What do u think just happened Lindsay? [​IMG] Flack is already moving. Follow him troops! Stell! Donnie found 33 & 3.

Chicago .. Mac found something too. The body!
    Det. Brennan, ya like u’r voice too huh?

Awww! Danny asked Stell if she’s alright! Just hug her Danno! U know u wanna. Look at u smiling so pretty!

I like it when Mac pulls those HOTD moments on us.

Just call him Hawkes! Please!

LOLZ at Flack! When he saw Sinclair : “This can’t be good!” and hiding behind Stella! [​IMG] Ok, Flack nodding like that & making a Danny face = love! LOLZ Mac, Sinclair wants u’r ass … back in NY. [​IMG] And Flack was cute when he looked back at Stella while “walking” with the Chief.

I love these cute little scenes between Danny and Adam. Geeks! [​IMG] You are so impatient! LOLZ ( Just ask Flack..)

Flack telling Mac he’s “sneaky like that”? Priceless! Not on a subway.. Poor babe! :(
    Just love it when Gary & Eddie have deep scenes together. Poor Mac! That was though. And he was just a kid. :(

Breaks my heart seeing Stell like this! :( “he was using me” Yeah, like u needed that! ( Love Melina’s voice in this scene! She’s amazing! )

Everyone in kevlars! *hugs them* Flack so sweet to Mac : “U want me too..” And Mac called him Don. :)

“Give me one of those vests” Awww! Nice to see u’r good side too Chief!

Danno, u’r so pretty in blue! [/shallow]

So, Danny goes to the door, but doesn’t enter. Waits for Flack! LOL No one tells Don where to go… so he goes after Danny. Duh! [​IMG]

Don, I know that Danny always gets his ass in danger, but maybe this time Mac it’s in more danger.. since he’s the target and all… [​IMG] Go with him. Or not….. LOL

Mac, I see u learned nada from the Dobson case from last year. Never go alone! … Too late!

Yeah! Where’s Mac?! [​IMG]

Yay for Danny. He found the tunnel! Let’s mooove!!

I’m really feeling for Drew now. Yeah, he’s nuts, but he’s hurt! :( Gary and Kerr are great!
    I’m just glad Mac didn’t kill him.

So, bottom line : great episode!

Counting the minutes till 411 now! ;)

12. Sphinx

Sphinx Police Officer

This was one of their best episodes. I liked the whole 333 thing. It was one of the most exciting episode.

I am glad they didn't have the Chicago detective act timid or in awe of Mac. The way she acted was believable.

The funny thing about the ring tone is it doesn't even fit Mac. It would fit Claire more. They should have had one of the team tell Mac to change the ring tone.

I wonder if Stella kept the stuff from Drew, because she figured he was up to something and wanted evidence. Maybe she is the type that would feel guilty about throwing something away.

I like Lindsay's haircut. It looks professional. It looked good on her.

Hopefully we will see more new episodes before next fall.

13. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I is trend setter? :p

You will respect my authoritah! :p

Danny called him Doc. Then Adam called him Doc. Now Lindsay has to do it too because it's cool now.

In all fairness, though, she might have said it before and I tried to ignore her. :p

Win! :lol: Maybe that wacky little curl on his forehead will become his evil signature--he can slick it down and then steeple his fingers--he'll need more bling-ish rings, though. :p

Rawr! :devil:

*chokes on drink* Wait, what? Damnit, I should have known Sinclair wants to be Mac's big daddy bear. :devil:

...or was that not what you meant? :eek:

He was like "You like the 'stache, Mac? If I put on kevlar, will I be sexy like Danny and Flack?" And Mac's just like "Buzzuh?" :lol:

It makes me think of a scene in Torchwood where Jack and Tosh are in the warehouse and they suddenly hear this ridiculous ringtone and Tosh thinks it's Jack's phone and he's slightly offended that she'd think he'd choose that one. :lol: [/random dork moment]

This was 4.10, and they are supposed to produce through 4.14 at least, so there are at least four more episodes if all goes well. :)

14. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

That was SO not what I meant. But now that you mention it, maybe some Sinclair/Mac action would be hot. Especially if they call each other "Bubba" and "Lt. Dan." :eek: :eek:

15. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

^^It's official: I'm totally shipping Mac/Sinclair now. :devil: They'd be wrasslin' for dominance and getting all frustrated with each other. Mama likey. :devil: