"You Kill Me" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Skell

Skell Rookie

That's exactly what I've been trying to say! Thank you for putting it out in words for me, I couldn't find the right way to say it. :3

And byline, love your take on both matters of Greg and Hodges. I agree with both! I really want to see how the writers tackle the next episode, regarding Greg's reaction and Hodge's relationship with Wendy... if we see any of them at all.

2. Panchos_Girl

Panchos_Girl Victim

I think if someone was to go out in the field from the lab, it should be Hodges, but it seems like most likely it will be Wendy. Although, I think it's cliche by now for them to bring someone into the field from another area... Greag already did that, and both CSI:NY and MIAMI have done it as well.

I kinda like the cast being as it is (although I will miss Sara) because they already know each other and have history. I thik it'd be fine with Cath and all the guys, and if they're wanting more females, they could give Wendy or someone more screen time, but not nessecarily put them out in the field.

3. Skell

Skell Rookie

I agree with you one hundred percent, Panchos Girl.
    Leave the cast how it is... it's quite comfortable that way. Let the airtime they get spent by us learning more about them.

4. byline

byline CSI Level One

I, too, would like to keep the cast as is for now. It would be nice to have some stability in the graveyard shift, for a change.

5. Skell

Skell Rookie

Once again, I completely agree...
    Or it just might have been a different way saying what I said earlier. :p
    In any case, if it stays the way it is, it would be ideal to me; if it doesn't, then I'll deal. :3

6. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I'm witth everyone on this, it does need to be how the cast stands for a while. Vegas has always had the largest cast and trying o give screen time to each has been hard. With the open space everyone can move out a bit and perhaps be able to split the time between them, equally.

7. Skell

Skell Rookie

Exactamundo. :3
    I didn't know they had the biggest cast, though. I know they have a huge cast. To be able to have a huge cast is real generous, and all the actors are great, so I'm glad they didn't make it any smaller. :3

8. byline

byline CSI Level One

The cast started out fairly compact, like the spin-offs, but really got expanded around the time that Jorja and George were temporarily fired from the show. I could be wrong about the timing of this, but it seems to me that's when Sofia was brought in, and Greg was moved out into the field. I'm not sure if the reasoning was that these changes needed to be made just in case the firings were permanent, or if the changes had already been made but gained more prominence due to the circumstances.

At any rate, when Jorja and George were reinstated, that left a greatly expanded cast because Louise Lombard had been hired, Greg was out in the field and now they needed another lab tech to take his place. (This was in 2004. I believe Hodges was added the year before.) So it's been a real juggling act ever since to keep all the characters featured on a regular basis. That's another reason why it would be a good idea to keep things as they are, at least for the time being.

9. Skell

Skell Rookie

Never really noticed that, byline... that's very interesting. Hmm...

10. byline

byline CSI Level One

I almost wonder if that's why they tried the (ill-advised, as it turned out) move to split the team into two different shifts. Maybe they thought they could give everyone more discrete storylines that way. But, of course, the strength of "CSI" is its team, and while I give the powers-that-be credit for trying something now, I'll always consider that a mistake. But I can also see why writing for such a large cast is a challenge. Fewer characters would make life a whole lot simpler for the writers, and it may well make us happy, too, as we'll get to see more of our favorite people, rather than the sort of hit-or-miss approach taken in recent years.

11. Skell

Skell Rookie

But if there was a smaller cast, some people favorite actors wouldn't be on the show. They're all quite wonderful. Even with Sara coming back at some point, many people are sad that she's not in it right now. People trip over one-liners, too. Although no doubt it would make writing a lot easier for the writers.

I thought the split of the CSI team wasn't a bad move. I liked it. I felt it tested the strength of the team, and they were still strong. We did learn about the characters a bit more, too, through their opinion on the split and their cases.

12. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

as much as we want the cast to stay the same, there is an equality issue. I don't think they could get away with a cast with only one female featured, without someone screaming sexist. It sucks, but its true...

13. Skell

Skell Rookie

You're right... I just spoke to a feminist the other day about this; she was quite upset. She told me that Catherine was leaving at the end of this season to...? Source is wikipedia, but I don't really trust anything without citation.

14. andsoareyou

andsoareyou Dead on Arrival

Here's the thing: I would be willing to bet that, with Sara's departure, the writers are going to keep things status quo for a while. I mentioned before that I think any mention of advancement to the field was a way for us to get some insight to the Hodges/Wendy relationship and NOT something that was to happen anywhere in the near future. TPTB know that it's not just about plugging one female character in to even out the score. My bet is that they are going to let us see character development for a while: how the CSI's deal without Sara, and how Hodges and Wendy deal with her potential for advancement sometime in the future. Personally, I like it. It all seems real, and it also seems like something that could happen slowly and gradually.

15. Skell

Skell Rookie

I agree with you, too, andsoareyou. I'd love to see character development first. Nice, smooth transition...