Survivor? We Call It Camping ~ Canadian Thread #5

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Dragonfly, Sep 27, 2007.

1. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

Re: Canadian Thread #5

lol most of those are from the US :lol: And yes, thank you for those DragonflyDreamer!

2. allmaple

allmaple Judge

its not real ;) the first time i saw it was on snopes.com (they debunk myths) there is an australia and south africa version and theyve been around since about 2000. still, funny none the less.

winter is really coming :( my university has closed down some of the stairs that go through campus. i guess so there is less shoveling to do? we had a few flakes yesterday but nothing stayed. but you know that wont last for long...

i made a deal with mother nature, it could only snow when i was out of the country! i guess she forgot :lol:

3. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

it is supposed to be warm this winter, and now snow!

i always forget those stairs are shut...i have almost walked into the rope a couple of times. Since we are in school for most of the winter months, i really don't see the point in even having those around. They are closed more than open. I doubt if they care about safety since those red bricks are crazy with the snow and ice!!

4. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

WHat? WHat? Canada has no real winter yet? I live nowadays at Arctic Circle and we've had snow for 2 weeks and today it was -15 during the day and -20 during the night :(

*sends snow to Canada*

5. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

^^^ Megan that e-mail cracked me up. :lol: My favorite was the last one, heh. Thanks for sharing, it was a lot of fun to read.

^ Ducky, where I live, we're still in the +s for temperature. :eek: I remember a few years ago, we had NO snow for Christmas. It didn't feel right. :( Although last year for Halloween it was almost a blizzard and this year, it was completely dry.

*takes snow from Finland*

6. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Well last Christmas here - it rained and backyard all the flowers were coming up and it was hard to cover them from the cold weather that came in Jan :( we had butterfly in our house on Christmas Eve :eek:

7. WhosLaughingNow

I don't remember the last time we had snow at Christmas in the Toronto area. I have a horrible time with trying to remember these things.

Haha I remember in elementary school I hated winter because they would always make you stay outside at lunch :lol:

8. WhosLaughingNow

Just a quick question for all you Canadians out there. Have any of you guys either gone to university in the states or applied there? And if you have is the application process a pain in the a$$ or is that just me?

9. allmaple

allmaple Judge

my brother went to eastern michigan university for a year and half, but i dont think it was difficult for him. emu wasnt as hard on canadians or something. he didnt have to take the SATs and i dont think he payed the international student tuition.

they really hassled him at the boarder though (going into the states). when he went for the first time the boarder guard hassled him about 'leaching off the american welfare system'. my mom really wanted to tell him if my brother wanted to live off welfare, hed stay in canada :lol: they learned quickly not to cross at detroit and that solved most of the problems.

i looked at vet school in the states, and it would be 6 times more expensive than here in canada. so i was like, no...

10. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

Not that long ago I was seriously considering doing my undergrad here in Canada and then going to the States for law school. I decided against it for a number of reasons, but I remember when I was looking into it that there is a bit of a hassle involved, but I suppose it all depends on what field you're going into. I know that they're begging for nurses down there, and a lot of the ones that are working down there were educated here. Plus my mom was telling me that the Los Angeles District School Board is coming to T.O. to recruit teachers, so that all supports the theory that it might not be hard to get in. What do you want to study? Which school were you thinking of?

11. WhosLaughingNow

I know that I had to take the SAT's which I did last year. I'm not too concerned about crossing the border either :lol: . But I'm pretty sure I'll have to pay international tuition :(.

A lot of the hassle has to do with high school. I have to go back and get like guidance to fill out forms about me (most of these people I never once talked to in my 4 years of high school). And I also have to find teacher who haven't see me in a few years and ask them to fill out some forms about me. It's frustrating.

See here's the thing that really draws me to the States though. I really want to study Theatre(Most likley) or Musical Theatre(Which Canada does not offer at university). I auditioned for a few in Ontario a couple years ago but in all honesty the programs I saw weren't THAT great. There was only one school I liked and that was Sheridan College. But over all I prefer the programs in the states.

I'm thinking of applying to Wagner College, Montclair State University, Ithaca College, Sarah Lawrence College and NYU. Right now my 1st choice is Wagner because it's one of the few places that offers a BFA in Theatre even though you mainly study musical theatre and in all honesty a BFA in Theatre looks better than a BFA in Musical Theatre on a resumé. And I going to audition for some colleges in Canada, but I'm staying away from universities here.

I think anywhere I apply as long as it's a decent school will be somewhat more challenging than other programs. Only because Theatre programs generaly accept less people. Big schools like NYU can take up to 150 people but most of the time you're competing for one of 25-50 spots.

12. quickbeam_cw

quickbeam_cw CSI Level One

CRAP. I just realized that I'm 5 pages behind in this thread, because it didn't add it to my favourites when I clicked the "Favorite Topic! (toggle)" button. So all this time, I was watching for new posts on Thread #4. *FACEPALM* I thought that nobody had been posting, that the Canadian discussion had pretty much died. :(

So, ummm, this is a little late, but I really like the name of the thread that was eventually decided on. *thumbs up*

13. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

quickbeam_cw better late than never :)

So now that it's Grey Cup weekend who do you think will win or do you care? If the Argos had managed to beat Winnipeg last weekend I would have said the Argos so I could continue to live in the GTA :) Since they aren't playing I think I will go with the Roughriders as I have family that lives in or around Regina. But is it the Saskatchewan Roughriders or is it Saskatchewan Rough Riders. I can never remember and it was more confussing when Ottawa had a team :confused:

14. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

Yeah, my parents have tickets to the game, and they weren't very happy when the Argos lost last weekend. So it's Saskatchewan and Winnipeg?? Hmm...I'll put my money on Winnipeg. There's absolutely no reason for that, I don't pay attention to football, but yeah.

I'm pretty sure it's Roughriders, and Ottawa was Rough Riders.

15. quickbeam_cw

quickbeam_cw CSI Level One

Roughriders FTW! w00t! \o/

I really think it's time we got some glory. Everyone here cheers for the Riders even if they don't watch football and Saskatchewan never wins. Football's all we've got!

Seriously, it's been 10 years since we've even been IN the Grey Cup final. 18 since we've won, and we've only won twice. Let us have our moment! lol