Not A Day Goes By - CSI: Miami fanfic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by SpeedsDaughter, Nov 3, 2007.

1. SpeedsDaughter

SpeedsDaughter CSI Level One

Allright... here's the next part!!! My favourite so far, even if not that significant.
    Well, maybe it is... *shrugs* You'll have to find out for yourselves.

- - - - - - -

August 1991

I sat behind the wheel of my rusty old car, humming along to the radio. It was my quiet time, away from the incessant complaints of my pateints. Time for me, my baby... and an old memory.

John.

I never regretted running away. He would never know about our son, and for that I was thankful. I could take care of my baby myself; Joanna showed me that. She had twins all by herself, and was raising them with a smile and a hug for both her daughters every day. Surely if Jo was that strong, I could be like that.

Lost in my own thoughts, I didn't even realize how close I was to the center line. A loud honking made me look up just seconds before I hit the solid concrete. I turned the wheel, slamming the brakes. My heart was racing, and the only thing I could thing of was my baby. The next moments were all a blur. The car spun on the road, landing in the ditch with a sickening crunch. For a moment, time stood still as the world blackened. The last thing I remembered was a squeezing pain across my belly.

I woke up in a hospital somewhere, unable to remember what happened. I choked on a tube, and gasped for breath as it was pulled out. I fel a pair of arms wrap around me, and I knew it was Jo.

"Where's my baby?" I asked faintly, "Is he allright?"

Joanna didn't say anything. She bit her lip, looked down, and I saw tears run down her cheeks.

"No," I whispered, shaking my head in denial, "No!"

I pushed her away and glanced all around the room, praying it was a mistake. My son was strong. I'd felt him kicking and fighting to come out. Surely an accident couldn't have... Surely he wasn't...

No. It was true.

My son was dead. And all I wanted to do right then was have John take me in his arms and cry with me.

2. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I wanna know what's next...we know he's alive.

3. SpeedsDaughter

Allright, a nice long update at last! :)

- - - - - - -

October 2007

"Kyle?" I asked, wondering how she knew the name.

Julie nodded, her eyes still sparkling.

"They told me his name," she explained, "Kyle Jonathan Harmon. I would've chosen something like Aaron or Jake, but..."

I saw her blush as she turned away. I smiled, remembering how shy Julie had been. Even as a doctor, her tendency to go red around people always made me laugh. I chuckled, and Julie looked back.

"But where is he?" she asked again, "Where's my son?"

I watched her for a moment, then stood up and walked over towards her. I winced as I knelt down, my knees aching from the age and misuse. Julie was so close to my own age, yet she didn't hold the the years as I did. Her perfect face was spotless, her skin radiant and smooth. Only small threads of grey appeared in her neatly-brushed hair, hardly noticable in her gorgeous locks.

I entwined my fingers in her own, looking up at her with a smile. Her fingertips sent my heart racing, just like they did sixteen years ago whenever they touched my skin. I didn't want to tell her the truth about her son... our son. I didn't want to tell her that Kyle was in prison for kidnapping, and still suffering from the neglect from previous foster homes.

I had to say something. So I tugged gently on her hands as I stood up.

"I'll take you." I told her, my hands falling back to my side. "He's been waiting to see you."

I prayed she couldn't tell I was lying. I hadn't even seen Kyle for at least a week now.

Julie nodded, looking down at the ground as she stood up and followed me out the door. In the hall, I got stopped by Eric and I waved him away again.

"H," he protested, "It's important."

I finally stopped, looking at the CSI over my shoulder. Julie stopped as well, turning to stare. Eric paused, then sighed.

"It's Kyle." he began. "There was a fight at the jail... H, the guy had a knife..."

I heard Julie gasp and I just glared at Eric. Dammit Oscar. You were supposed to protect him.

"Eric," I ordered, "Stay with Julie. I'll be at the prison. Send Calleigh and Ryan to the crime scene."

I turned around swiftly, pulling on my sunglasses as I made my way to the door. Julie stopped me.

"I'm going." she told me, fire burning in her eyes. "He's my son, too."

I smiled gently, about to explain how I thought she should stay at the lab, until Julie sighed and rolled her eyes.

"Good Lord, John!" she exclaimed, somewhat out of her usually calm demeanor, "I'm a doctor. I'm used to stab wounds. Besides, he's been dead to me since he was born. I never even got to see him. Please... let me see him, John."

The fire in my first love's eyes still burned behind a desperate gaze. I couldn't say no to her. I never could, and I nodded.

"Okay, let's go."

4. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

Keep it up, SpeedsDaughter!
    You got my full attention :cool:

5. MacsGirlMel

how much of that's canon? I'm curious if she raised him or not, and why she gave him up.

6. SpeedsDaughter

:confused: I'm sorry MacsGirlMel, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying...

7. MacsGirlMel

I was just curious since I haven't seen the eps yet how much backstory was said onscreen so far, that's all. I was also curious about Kyle...did the mother give him up?

8. SpeedsDaughter

:lol: Allright, I understand now. All we know is that Kyle is Horatio's son and his mother was a woman who lived in Pensecola named Julie Eberly. They still have an old phone number for her, but I don't know if it still contacts her or something.

Anyways, NEW UPDATE! :D

- - - - -
    August - September 1991

The next few weeks after I lost my son, I remained shut up in my apartment. I didn't go to work; I didn't leave for any reason. Joanna would bring me groceries and take care of me, maing sure I ate and did more than just lie in bed all day. I was depressed, unable to do even the simplest tasks. I kept thinking of John, Pensecola and the baby. What could've been. I felt like I didn't have a reason to live anymore. I didn't deserve to live.

Every night, I dreamed of having a family with John in a nice little house in Florida. I began thinking.

Maybe if I could sleep forever, perhaps... perhaps I could dream forever.

I didn't own a gun. I hated them so much. I even made John take his off and put it away whenever he came in. A knife would mean blood, lots of it. And pain; horrible pain. I didn't want to be feel hurt anymore.

The sleeping pills. They would put me in a permanent slumber, one where I could dream forever. I emptied the bottle in my hand, sighing as I covered the drugs in a clenched fist. I looked up at the ceiling, tears streaming down my cheeks. I heard John's voice in my head. I closed my eyes.

Let me take you someplace where I can never let you go.

"I will." I whispered in the shadows, "I will."

I don't even remember swallowing the pills, or even getting in my bed. A reel of pictures took over me, like a grainy old movie in slow motion. I thought for sure that, come morning on Earth, I would be asleep forever and completely unable to feel the pain of nostalgia or heartache. All I would know was happiness and joy, to forever be in the only arms I could ever feel loved in.

Damn Joanna. Next thing I knew, I heard my best friend dialing 911and screaming into the phone. I was rushed to the hospital and the doctors tried to "save" me. How could they know I wanted to take my own life? I wanted to, bt they wouldn't let me.

Joanna was fed up with me. I tried to ignore her as she tried to talk to me, convince me I still needed to live. Her vicious, accusing words stung, but I ddn't believe them. I had been wounded enough already. She couldn't understand that I didn't deserve to live anymore.

It was a surprise visit that changed my outlook on life. I had been drifting off to sleep, when I heard someone come in. I glanced up, expecting it to be Joanna, a nurse, or a visitor for the teenage girl I shared my room with. My heart raced.

It was John.

9. MacsGirlMel

oh ok. But why did she give the baby up? In the fic I mean.

10. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

As far as I know, she thinks the baby is dead. And we'll have to be patient and wait for more updates to know what really happened.

Mooooore, Speedsdaughter, moooooooore :D

11. SpeedsDaughter

Allright, I'm working on the next update as we speak!

And here it is... wow! Page 2 and I'm hardly halfway done! :lol:

This is from Kyle's POV by the way... just so you guys aren't going "What?"

- - - -

October 2007

What the hell did this guy think he was doing?

Some doctor. I bet he didn't know a damn thing about sterilizing. I couldn't even tell if he was wearing gloves for god's sake. I hoped he had at least washed his hands. It made me wonder why the state couldn't afford better care for us, or if they even gave a damn. I didn't have long to think though, wincing at the Dr. House wannabe poked and prodded at my cut. It wasn't even bleeding anymore. Couldn't he just dress it and get the hell away from me?

Nope, apparently not.The guy pressed down around the stab wound, causing the blood to start spurting again. What an idiot.

"Sorry mate." the medic grumbled, running some thankfully clean fabric and running it across the cut.

I rolled my eyes, looking overtop of the burly Aussie at the clock. I had no reason to look; these guys brought in dinner whenever they felt like it. Maybe I was just bored of doing the same thing over and over again.

"Allright then," the doc said with a sigh, "Officer Roland'll take you back to your cell."

Cells. They weren't rooms, just barred cells with concrete walls with bloodstains in the cracks. Not much different than my old foster homes, to be honest.

I nodded and got off the cot, taking my shirt back from the stack and pulling it over my head. Craig Roland, one of the nicer guys on patrol, gave me a smile and held the door for me.

"You've got some visitors." he said, tugging on my shoulder to direct me.

Visitors? The only people who ever came to see me were the guys from Child Services... and Lieutenant Caine. That guy confused the crap out of me. He barely looked like me, and it spooked me that he would even question my parentage. It wasn't like I cared much. Sure, I wanted to know about the people who forced me into a life of foster parents from hell, but it wasn't something that I would put effort into.

I stepped into the room, where I saw the Lieutenant with his precious sunglasses twisting in his hands. I rolled my eyes, but sat down across from him with a sigh and fixing him with a stony gaze.

"Hey." I greeted, looking away.

Lt. Caine nodded.

"Hey," he replied, "I heard you got in a fight."

"Just a cut. I'm not dead."

Horatio grinned, chuckling in his throat. I thought he was crazy. What the hell was so funny?

"I've brought someone to see you." he told me, standing up and gesturing for me to stay.

I rolled my eyes again. I felt like a dog in a pet store. I wanted to stand up and yell through the glass how I wasn't like a cat at the ASPCA to be looked at and admired. Instead I sighed, glancing back at Craig, who nodded curtly. He was always telling me how I should be less sarcastic towards my visitors. I turned back to see a woman with auburn hair and green eyes that matched my own. She smiled at me, looking rather shy. She bit her lip, and I was now rather curious about her.

"Hi Kyle." she greeted nervously.

"Hi." I said back, smiling just a little.

The woman grinned shyly, looking at me with a little sigh.

"You," she stammered, shaking her head, "You probably won't believe me, but... I'm Julie. Julie Eberly."

I stared at her in disbelief. I knew that name to well. I had stared at it every night, typed in black on my birth certificate beside a empty space where my father's name should have been. She was... she was my mother. After all this time... it couldn't be true, could it?

"But..." I said in awe, "How? Why?"

Julie sighed, looking away.

"I did want you, Kyle," she told me, "but Joanna told me you were dead."

12. CSI_Trainee

CSI_Trainee CSI Level One

wow such a heartbreaking update, I hope he doesn't think she's saying that her friend told her he was dead to get out of the fact he was in foster homes all his life. Please update soon.

13. SpeedsDaughter

I know, I know, I haven't updated... I'm busy all week so no guaranteed updates. Sorry!!!

14. MacsGirlMel

darn I missed that one...ack update soon! I hope you do get a chance.

15. SpeedsDaughter

Good news! Update will be posted in a few minutes. Remember two chapters ago, when Julie saw John in her hospital room? Dun dun DUN!!!

- - - - - - -

September 1991

The man standing by in my hospital room looked like a stranger to me. He didn't look at all like the man who stole my heart. His blue eyes, normally shining with delight, were sad and dull. His smile that used to never fade, even in my faintest memories, now had completely disappeared from his solemn face.

I watched him as he glanced around the room, his eyes settling on me. He sighed, and I felt like crying. He forced a smile for me, sitting down beside my cot and taking my hand. His thumbs drew soft little circles on my skin, sending tingles up my spine.

Neither one of us said anything. I wanted someone to pinch me, to prove that this wasn't just my imagination playing cruel tricks on me. The silence we shared was comforting to m. He stayed by my side for a long time, asking no questions about my suicide attempt or the baby. Towards the end, he leaned over and kissed my forehead.

"Why?" he asked simply, his voice still that deep husky whisper with a new hint of sadness.

I couldn't answer. How could I?

He didn't seem to need an answer. His bead bent down lower, softly kissing my lips the way he used to. His fingertips brushed my cheek before getting tangled in my hair. I kissed him back, tears fighting to escape and succeeding.

The moment he tasted the saltwater droplets, John stopped and opened his eyes.

"What's wrong?" he asked softly, his voice fading in volume.

I opened my eyes, and saw John wasn't there. Instead, Joanna was smoothing back my hair.

"What's wrong, Jules?" she asked, "You were having a nightmare."

Nightmare? No... it couldn't have been. John was here... he was kissing me...

I glanced around the room. There was no sign of my red-headed prince. It had all been a dream. A cruel figment of my imagination. John would never find me, just like I planned. Now I regretted it.

I needed him.