Episode #609: 'Stand Your Ground' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Lucy, Nov 16, 2007.

1. delkolover

delkolover CSI Level Three

Re: Episode #609: 'Stand Your Ground' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Emily did awesome last night and it just goes to show that people want to see main characters having issues or being a little personal in an ep.

The ep overall was really good and it was nice to see along with some of the personal issues that the writers went back to the 'CSI' aspect of investigating.

While I would have liked the drama for Cal to last passed this ep, in the end I think it would have been too much. They already went the route of one of them being sued in Eric so to do again would be redundant. It was nice to see her run te gambit of emotions b/c we haven't seen something like that before with her and who knows this whole episode could still haunt her down the road. She is a complex character and I really think we saw that last night. There isn't one layer to her, there are many and the writers are slowly exposing them to the viewers.

My rating 9/10 :D

2. tnemgarf

tnemgarf Victim

when H didnt approach calleigh at the scene i knew that they were not going to talk AGAIN.. whats wrong??? why arent they talking anymore??? its like 'hes here im out' this is no longer 'the csim' that that i know

but calleigh does have a hot car but her hair seems to be quite thin [can see her hairline parting] & talking about hair.. H does have 'alot of time' to comb his hair left-to-right & right-to-left 2x..

its a 'love calleigh kick H' ep.. *shakes head*

3. flgal

flgal Hit and Run

yeah to me the weirdest part of this whole epi was H having NO contact with Calleigh at all!! I mean he was only a few feet away from her when she was in the back of the medical squad & he couldn't even walk over to her??? Even if he didn't ask her how she was... I would have expected him to ask her for a statement or some questions of what happened..anything...

I really liked the E/C hug though... :)just made me go awwww...

4. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I found this episode to be not as painful as previous ones.

First of all, the pay raises of the actors definitely seem to reflect the cars these characters own. :rolleyes: She seems less like a cop and more like a supermodel out for lunch.

Anyway. I thought Emily did a wonderful job in every scene and it's great to see her 'belt it out' at Stetler but I can't help feeling that it was out of character. It just didn't feel like the same character---seems she's become very angry and sometimes benumbed by events around her. I've seen this since season 3. I don't know, I might be wrong because anger would have been the appropriate response given the whole ordeal (not being believed) But Stetler had a job to do and getting angry at him over it because of how he percieved the evidence he had, wasn't going to help the situation.

Again, I'm confused as to why Horatio and Calleigh never converse. He saw her at the scene, visibly upset and couldn't even spare two minutes to make sure the 'victim' was okay, even if she was his CSI. (He was there for her when she was run into the river :confused:)

I am beginning to really appreciate the relationship between Eric and Calleigh. I find this to be more appealing than her fling with Jake--even though he shows moments where he's less stagnant as a character.

I found the case simple and easy to follow and even if I figured out pretty much everything before they presented it, it was a good episode. :lol:

I'd give it 6/10.

5. dustymonkey

dustymonkey Dead on Arrival

Is it just me or, or did the woman in the promo for next week's episode look just like someone that was in last season? I can't put my finger on the name of the episode...maybe it was "Triple Threat"? I saw her and I thought right away that she's been in it before. Maybe she just looks like her.

6. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Well...I have to say that this ep. kinda disappointed me :( especially H ( he disappointed me too much ) :(

Calleigh was great during all the ep. :D
    Emily did a fabulous job with Cal...At the beginning I was too worried for her and I felt so sad :( ...then she had the oppurtinity to give a little smile to Alexx...I loved it ;)
    With Stetler...well probably she was too agressive...and yeah she wasn't too lucid, but how can you blame her? :eek: I mean she almost got killed twice in a day :eek:...and for what? because she walked near the shop window :eek:
    -They pointed her a gun to her head (but do they always have to point her a gun to her head? like in Hagen's case? :eek: :( )
    -They tried to run her over with the car....guys the slow motion really frightned me :eek: in that moment I was worried they hit her :eek:
    Now if I were her I'd be worried to walk in Miami, poor girl :(
    For me with what happened to her, she was too lucid ;)
    I really apprecieted how almost everybody was concerned for her
    1) I liked Natalia's fear :)
    2) I loved the glance Ryan gave to the suspect when he was talking about Cal ;)
    3) I liked Eri'c reaction...and yeah I liked that friendly hugh...she deserved it ;)
    4) I absolutely adored Alexx :lol: she cracked me up "does it look to you this is the field? baby!! :lol: I always love Alexx when she calls her friends honey ;)
    5) Tripp looked a little bit concerned but not too much and this kinda disappointed me...especially when I think how Cal conforted hime while he was in her actual situasion "Inside out". I think he could have done just a little bit of effort ;)
    6) I HATED....REALLY HATED H the whole ep. :mad: That was your best colleague ever and he never considered her all the episode :eek: Now I'm really wondering what he would have done if she died :eek: maybe he would have just said one of his ridiculous one liners I don't know "Now Miami could close"
    Calleigh always helped him she deserved a lot more from H :mad:
    The worst part was when he saw her on the ambulance...and what???? nothing???? :mad: are you kidding me!!! :mad:
    Gosh I hated him so much in this ep.
    He was also worried for that girl...yeah poor girl but if were him I just leaved that girl's case to another CSI to help my CSI...my friend ;)
    I don't know this is probably the most ridiculous situasiont throughout CSI:Miami ...H and Calleigh not speaking and interactin for how many episodes?
    *she thinks about it*
    18 episodes if we count "man down" just to be optimistic :eek: this is just too weird.
    Are we sure that Emily Procter and David Caruso aren't having any kind of problem among them? :eek:

I don't like the kind of twist Jake is having :mad:
    Calleigh loves him. PLEASE leave this couple in peace!!!! :mad:
    What the hell??? Is Calleigh destined to be the UNLUCKY girl of Miami??? :mad:

I didn't like the final.....it should have benn Calleigh's final :mad: She was the VICTIM in the ep....the little girl was just a by-product of this drugs story ;)

Now this drug story......What a beatiful school :lol: just kidding. If I were one of the mothers I'd lock my children in my house and I'd throw aways the keys ;)

My vote well....
    Not considering the final and H 9/10 ;)
    Considering the final and H 7.5/10 :(

7. Jennifer

Jennifer Lab Technician

I liked the episode...except for the ending, which I think sucked royally. My beef with that is that the ending was once again Horatio being a hero to yet 2 more kids. No problem with him actually doing what he did, only that the episode ended with that, instead of scenes where Calleigh has closure with Stetler and Jake. The entire buildup to the end screamed for a scene where Calleigh confronted Stetler, who was once again wrong in his assumptions about a member of Horatio's team. And, it also screamed for resolution to the fact that Jake lied to Calleigh, and ended up asking Eric to help him collect the evidence that would prove Calleigh acted properly. But no...we get Savior Horatio again.

I don't think Calleigh's attitude toward Stetler was out of character at all, nor do I think her attitude was the direct result of her having had 2 mimosas at brunch. She was pissed at having her actions called into question by a man that has seemed hell-bent on taking down Horatio's team one by one, at having him question if she had been drunk, especially when she blew a BAC of .04. He could have taken her into a different room to do the interrogation, if not a conference room then someone's office (his, Horatio's, etc), but he chose to do it in the open where others could see. So yeah...she had a gun pointed at her face, almost run over, has Stetler accuse her of having impaired judgment in a room in full view of her co-workers...I can see why she showed Stetler some attitude! I would too! Has Calleigh ever been in this type of situation before, where her life was threatened and her actions at being threatened called into question, as well as having her judgment possibly impaired by alcohol called into question? If not, then I don't think it's a fair assumption to say that her giving attitude to Stetler was OOC.

As for her attitude with the creep at the end, in the few times Calleigh's life has been in danger, she's never had the chance to come face to face with the cause of that danger (at least as far as I can remember) after all was said and done. The man tried to kill her, and she was able to come face to face with him...so i completely understand why she threw attitude at him too. Frankly I wish we'd gotten to see a scene at the end where she confronted Stetler with that attitude.

8. timspeedlefan

timspeedlefan Prime Suspect

I thought the first part of the episode was good, but as it went along, it fizzled. The more Stetler is on the show, the more ticked off I got. He's just a jerk. I thought Calleigh rocked when she was screaming at him. You go girl!!
    What can I say about Jake....Weasel. (sorry to those who like Stetler and Jake).
    I knew the candy in the back seat of the car was connected before Ryan did. (I can do that job. :lol:)

9. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Florry86:
    I've kinda been keeping track of the whole H/C thing, so here's the breakdown, officially.

Technically, Cal and H were in the same frame in "Man Down" and "Chain Reaction." But look at those two eps. In "Man Down," it was a 5-second exchange. In "Chain Reaction," they didn't even look at each other, let alone interact.

So, if you don't count those episodes (which I don't), it's actually been 25 episodes since they worked a case together (more than a whole freakin' season). The last episode in which they talked to each other for more than 5 seconds was "Dark Room", which aired on Nov. 13, 2006 - so it's been over a year since these once-close colleagues had any kind of interaction.

Does it make sense to long-time fans of the show? Of course not. Just look at how protective H was of Cal when Hagen dated her - he asked her twice in "The Best Defence" if she was OK. I think his quote was "How concerned should I be about you."

Now, we have Cal dating Jake, who's a lot like H's brother Ray if you think about it, and she's drinking and almost getting killed, and H just ignores her? Sure he defends her to Stetler, but H hates Stetler anyway. To me it was weak compared to the way he went to bat for Eric in Season 4's "Shattered." I mean, H even talked to Ryan after he lied to H and got his job back. But for Calleigh... well, she's got an "almost perfect" career. Way to be, H. She can defend herself to Stetler just fine, as we saw. It would've been far better if he had just let her know face-to-face that he had her back.. I mean, how many times has Cal gone to bat for H - too many to count, that's for sure.

Calleigh's known Horatio the longest, timeline wise (aside from maybe Alexx, b/c I don't know when she started). It makes no sense for H to all of a sudden investigate a scene instead of comforting a near-tears Calleigh who thinks she just killed an innocent bystander.

I'm not gonna comment on whether the actors have something going on or not, b/c I don't know, but I have to say that, during that scene w/the flashlight, I had a funny/sad thought:

The writers came to DC and asked - in this episode you either work a crime scene w/a maglight or you work w/ Emily Procter. If that's the case, looks like DC chose the maglight... ugh.

I really hope that's not true, as the cast seems to get along great, but what are we supposed to think? These two were so close on the show - as friends - and now it's like they're not even on the same TV show. It's just weird and TPTB should have to answer for it in one form or another b/c it's hurting the show.

10. purplecat17

purplecat17 Hit and Run

So when i saw the promos for this episode i was really excited... i thought that this was going to be the best episode of the season... but it wasn't... it was a big letdown :(... i mean i liked some parts of it like
    1.hug between Calleigh and Eric
    2.the fact that Ryan had a little more screen time (I am a fan of Ryan lol) :)
    3.Ryan's outfit wasn't ridiculous,
    4.i also liked how Eric and Ryan had a nice scene where they got along and all that.
    5. i of course liked Calleigh's first scenes and the stunts and all of that.
    6. I liked how Calleigh stood up for herself
    7. I liked how Jake asked for Eric's help with the evidence

Then there were some scenes and things that happened that i hated
    1. i hated how H never even talked to Calleigh even though she was right next to him in the ambulence
    2.the episode was supposed to be all about Calleigh but once again H stole the show :mad:
    3. i didn't like the ending with H and the kid... i mean the show was supposed to be all about Calleigh
    4. the only person that really comforted Calleigh was Eric so i didn't like how Natalia, Alexx and Ryan weren't there for her :(
    5. I think Calleigh had a little bit of an attitude... which i understand because if i almost got shot and run over by a car i would have an attitude to but i mean stetler was just doing his job i mean in real life and something like this happened then they would investigate, question ect. Calleigh should know that its just procedure. ( but i am not saying that i am a Stetler fan)
    6. also if Jake and Calleigh are supposed to be seeing eachother then why didn't Jake ask if she was ok :confused: and why did he lie to her :confused:i mean if my boyfriend didn't ask if i was ok in that situation then i would dump him i mean that is ridiculous.

So overall the episode was ok... not horrible, not great it was just ok
    If i had to rate it 1/10 with 10 being the best i would have to say a 5 or a 6
    to be perfectly honest.. this season hasn't had any episodes that i love or really even like :( ... i just like parts of an episode but never a whole episode.. they need to get some better storylines..... soon lol

11. dustymonkey

dustymonkey Dead on Arrival

I agree with this season as a whole. There hasn't been any standout episodes. They've just been average. All the previous seasons have episodes that I have really liked, but so far not any this season. They're all just okay. "Inside Out" is my favorite so far, but I really think I and many others have had enough of the Horatio drama. I was really disappointed in the Halloween episode "Sunblock" especially since last season's was so different and cool.

12. timspeedlefan

timspeedlefan Prime Suspect

My favorite episode by far this season is Bang Bang your Debt...Only because Speedle was in it. :D

13. Della

Della Police Officer

Miamirocks - I have to say that although I do seriously miss the lovely interaction between the Horatio and Calleigh characters from Seasons 1&2, it is, however, the only reason I'm missing it.

In my opinion, Calleigh's and Horatio's interaction started to wan considerably when Jake was first introduced as a new character, and also as a past boyfriend of Calliegh's.

I know that doesn't explain all of it, but hopefully the rest of this does.

If you take into account what Horatio had been going through up to the point of Jake being introduced, in my opinion, I think it's pretty much in-character for Horatio not to be so close and as flirtatious with Calliegh as he once was.

In all honesty, I think he was emotionally scarred by Marisol's and Ray's deaths and then by Eric's brief foray into dying before being resuscitated. I also think that Ray's death harshly reminded Horatio of Speed's death, what with them both dying as he looked on unable to do anything for them.

I know that doesn't make great TV when you're a Calleigh/Horatio shipper (of which I am one), but I do think it's well within credibility for the characters.

In my opinion, in this episode, Horatio backed Calliegh in the only way he could and, in all honesty, I think it's a bit pointless trying to equate him getting Ryan's job back against Horatio not showing any sentiment towards Calleigh - simply because Horatio has a vastly different relationship with Ryan than he does with Calleigh and it's one that doesn't require him to be all touchy feely or sentimental towards Ryan, whereas with calleigh he would need to be and I really think he can't afford to at the moment.

In all honesty, in my opinion, I think it is pretty obvious that Horatio still cares for his team, but those who he shares a closer afinity with, such as Alexx (who he has known and worked with longer than Calleigh) and Calleigh, he's purposefully distanced himself from, just so he can rebuild his dampening rods when ti comes to emotions and what not.

So, all in all, yeah, Horatio is being selfish, but I don't blame him one bit, and that's not because he's my favourite character, but it's from experience I'm afraid :)

Of course how I've read things could be completely wrong and what I see as Horatio backing away a bit to give himself some space could actually be a problem between David and Emily, but well, when it comes to the characters, that's how I've viewed things :)

:)

PS: I was thoroughly enjoying this season until last week's epsiode, when, for me, blatant character inconsistencies appeared.

14. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Hey Della - I totally agree w/you in that it's plausible that H is backing away from Calleigh b/c he's gone through so much trauma - but my point is that their relationship is non-existent now. I mean, he went through all that trauma in "Rio", and then two eps later in "Going Under" he's right there for Calleigh, telling her how happy he is she's OK (in his own way;) ) So for this "pulling away" to happen now ... when he should start healing ... it just is too much to swallow, especially considering the fact that they haven't interacted in 25 episodes. I mean, that's a looong time.

If TPTB wanted to show H's aversion to Calleigh, they should addres it, not just avoid the issue. Cal should talk to somebody about it, just in passing, like w/Eric or something. Instead, it's like TPTB are trying to pretend that H and Cal are still close when they're obviously not. At least not on-screen.

I'm all for H grieving and withdrawing - it's definitely normal. But we're talking about 25 episodes w/out even working together - and she's on his team - she's the HEART of his team. It's just too much for me to believe, especially after H's comments in "Sunblock" - I'd think he'd start to turn it around.

Oh, and did you notice how H has actually interacted more with Yelina - which I think would be MORE awkward - than with Calleigh over the past year and a half. That's another reason this whole "he's grieving" thing doesn't wash. Cal works w/H everyday, while Yelina isn't part of the main cast anymore, yet he's been in more scenes w/her than he has w/Calleigh. It doesn't make any sense.

15. veggie

veggie Lab Technician

i knew it to cause i watched csi ny last week and they had lollipop with drugs in it!