Last Photographer Standing #2 - Final Results Now Up!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BlueCurl, Sep 18, 2007.

1. SwanSwan_H

SwanSwan_H Police Officer

Re: Last Photographer Standing #2

I agree absolutely. :) I feel that judging a photo by it's relevance to theme, not it's quality, kind of defeats the object of this kind of competition. This is partly why I haven't voted. I used to vote, but as this hasn't been resolved, I think maybe it deters some people from voting. Sorry guys - and I know these comps take a lot of effort, and kudos to everyone for that (especially BlueCurl for organizing it), but the whole 'theme' issue will continue to be a problem for some of us, unless we are simply not allowed to vote against a photo just because we don't think it fits the theme.

2. BonaTaylor

BonaTaylor Pathologist

Alright... with me taking part in a LPS first time, I haven't seen the discussion that was obviously ongoing last time about this subject.

Though I still disagree on THIS round's voting (cause Abstract photography is pretty much a defined area that makes it hard to ignore it when a pic doesn't fit the theme), I have changed my votes for the LPS according to the guidelines everybody here seem to agree. I don't wanna play against it, cause like you said, Lucy, this is about fun and nothing else.

Maybe I am a bit biased cause I took part in photo challenges that have been pretty neat on the subject theme but that was also due to the fact that the photographing skills level was there pretty high already.

To SwanSwan_H... I am sorry to hear that things like that keep you off voting. I just hope that we can win you back, cause all of the contestants - and I think I can speak here for everyone - enjoy it a lot to get LOADS of votes and also feedback on their work. :D

3. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I'm sorry everyone, I didn't mean to cause such a stir. As has been stated already, this is meant to be fun. I know everyone has their own oppinions on this, and it's hard to agree. I just wanted to state an opinion about something that was bothering me (on top of an already not-good day).

BlueCurl, I really do appreaciate you running this, I know how much effort goes into it. Respectfully, I disagree with your decision to allow votes based on theme relevance, but I fully recognize that it is your decision to make.

Again, sorry for causing such a stir in here.

4. loki

loki Lab Technician

I know I'm new here, but I'd like to say that I think judging by rather or not a picture fits a theme is important in any art competition. As many of my art teachers have said, 90% of their grading criteria was based on how well the students followed the guidelines, so if the project blatantly didn't follow the theme it would get docked points. I know this isn't art school, but I think the same thing should apply.

Just my 2 cents.

5. Bev

Bev Pathologist

Okay, I think my vote for number 5 started this whole discussion.

However, I'm not going to change my vote, like someone else did. If you note my previous entry, it said that while the picture wasn't abstract it still had a fault. If you carefully look at it, there is a line across the bottom that could have been repaired by cropping.

I also agree with loki part of doing something is following the instructions. Whether the subject matter be garbage, abstract or nature. Its not really fair to the other people who have taken the time to come up with an item that fits the theme to have their pictures knocked out because someone came up with a gorgeous non-theme image. Part of being a photographer is being able to follow directions for a photoshoot. That's as important as having proper focus.

6. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I can see you rpoint, but photo competitions have always let the contstant think openly about the theme. Personally I like thinking outside the box.

7. Bev

Bev Pathologist

But is it fair for someone whose taken the time and effort to come up with a photo that fits the subject to be eliminated by a picture that doesn't fit the theme?

Yeah, I agree thinking outside the box is necessary, but you need to stay close enough to the box to be fair to the other photographers.

8. BonaTaylor

BonaTaylor Pathologist

Actually, I think it was rather my vote (and me changing it then later) that caused it, cause I have based it totally on the non-fit statement. I have to say that I wouldn't have changed your vote (I mean if I were you. Does this makes sense? :lol: ) either cause your argumentation was totally different than mine. You mentioned the "flaw" on this lovely pic in first place which I didn't. That's the reason why I think Megan wasn't really happy with me and my voting.

Speaking of which... Megan, for all the newbies (like me) I think it was not so bad to actual go through this discussion process cause now I at least have a better overview of everybody's thoughts on this.

Even I don't necessarily agree with you, I am completely ready to make compromises to keep this a fun and nice challenge I really enjoy. As part of this compromise, I changed my vote which - again - I don't see as an example everybody should do or consider doing now. :)

And now, I finally shut up and go to bed.

9. Bev

Bev Pathologist

I agree with you BonaTaylor. I think having this discussion was a wonderful idea. It allows everyone to get on the same page and state what they believe.

Its nice to see it was done friendly and politely.

10. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Whos to say that the person who thought outside the box didn't also fit the theme? It can be an odd photograph and still fit the desired theme.

11. Bev

Bev Pathologist

But does a landscape really fit the theme of an abstract? Or does a cloud really fit the theme of water?

Its all semantics.

If you want to think outside the box, what's the point in having themes? Everyone could just send in any picture they wanted each week.

12. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

It all depends on how someone looks at it. A cloud is made from water, as for the tree the braches could grow in such a way that it is abstract.

Since you added to yours, I'll add to mine.

So what I get from this is that you feel thinking outside the box has no place in photography. You feel that people who think like this have no place and will choke out what you consider better pictures.

13. Bev

Bev Pathologist

I'll give you that. It makes sense.

I just believe someone, even thinking outside the box, should stay close enough to the subject matter to be fair to the others. Their image shouldn't be so obtuse that it can be confused with a different theme.

14. Charity

Charity Police Officer

12. I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be looking at, perhaps because everything is the same color.

14. This picture doesn't seem to have an object of focus. A tighter image of the streetlight would have been good

9. image seems to be out of focus otherwise it would have been all right

15. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

LPS:

12. I felt the lack of contrast here let the photo down. It tended to all meld into one color and it's hard to distinguish the individual parts.

9. Some blurring on the bottom detracts from the picture. Perhaps more cropping?

14. I'm not sure what the focus is supposed to be here, so I find it difficult to get anything out of the picture.

Overall:

11. When this is over, I want whoever did this to tell me how they did this picture - it's amazing!

7. Yet another - how the heck did they manage that, photo!

3. See above :D