CSI: Crime Scene Investigation--'Goodbye and Good Luck'

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Nov 19, 2007.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

Synopsis:

Freshman Kira Dellinger plunges to her death from her dorm room at West Las Vegas University, but what first seems to be a suicide turns out to be anything but when Nick finds blood on the window hinge, indicating Kira was dragged and dropped. Catherine and Dr. Robbins recover a fragment from between her knuckles, and Dr. Robbins tells Catherine that Kira had sex shortly before she died. In her dorm room, Nick and Greg go over Kira's room, noting that she's in a Goth band and discovering a tube of lubricant. Sara, just finishing with a disheartening domestic abuse case in which a husband stabbed his wife in the back, is surprised when Mandy Webster tracks her down to tell her that fingerprints from the lubricant tube and window match Marlon West, a teen who was acquitted several years ago of a murder charge with the help of his younger sister, a child prodigy named Hannah. Sara wants onto the case, and Grissom promises to clear it with Ecklie. Sara and Brass track Marlon down in his chemistry class, where he tells them that he and Kira were in a band together. He admits they were sleeping together, and that they'd fought the night before when he'd caught her with another guy, who punched Marlon. Sara wants his DNA, but she's foiled when Hannah, now in grad school at WLVU, walks into the classroom and puts an end to Sara's questioning.

Henry discovers GHB in Kira's blood, while Greg and Archie track down the boy Kira was hooking up with: Jordan Rockwell. Jordan is in the hospital following a car accident he had after hooking up with Kira. The CSIs test his blood and find GHB in it. Nick suspects someone dosed the lube with the drug, and Hodges confirms his suspicion. Sara questions Hannah but the girl plays psychological games with her, frustrating the CSI. Nick is able to match the tooth fragment from Kira's hand to Marlon, but Sara has doubts which are intensified when she watches video footage of the fight between Marlon and Jordan and notices Hannah picking something up after the altercation. Sara confronts Hannah with her suspicions that Hannah is framing Marlon, but Hannah evades her. Sara visits Marlon in jail and he tells her Hannah got clingy after their parents' deaths, and that Kira dumped him, irritated by Hannah. Marlon got Hannah to make GHB and help him get it into Kira's lube, but he denies killing her. He's resigned to the fact that if Hannah wants him in jail, he's trapped. Sara has an idea.

Marlon, wearing a wire, gets Hannah to come to jail, but his efforts to get her to confess to Kira's murder prove futile. Disheartened, Sara realizes Hannah is out of her league. She's further devastated when she gets a phone call informing her Marlon has killed himself in jail. Sara goes to tell Hannah that she knows she killed Kira, and that Marlon is dead. Hannah breaks down, refusing to believe it, even after Sara shows her photographic evidence. Sara returns to the lab, kisses Grissom passionately and goes to the locker room, where she tears the nametag off her vest and tosses it out. Later, when Grissom goes looking for her, he finds she's left him a note, telling him that she's leaving to escape her ghosts and find some sort of peace. She tells him she loves him and always will.

Analysis:

CSI draws on an excellent sixth season episode to herald Sara's exit, bringing back the murderous West siblings from "The Unusual Suspect". Of all the cases Sara's worked, resurrecting this one was a wise choice. "The Unusual Suspect" was a memorable episode, and Hannah was a particularly colorful character, played with sharp, simmering malevolence by <font color=yellow>Juliette Goglia</font>. If ever a case was to haunt Sara, it would be this one. For starters, she believed Hannah when Hannah insisted it was she, and not Marlon, who killed their classmate. And after Marlon was acquitted, Hannah confessed to Sara that in fact, Marlon was the guilty party.

<HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45\%" COLOR="#007BB5">

To read the full reviews, please click here.<center></center>

2. debgal

debgal Victim

I for one just hope she stays gone. Cant wait for CSI to enter into the Sara free zone.
    I hope Hannah comes back. She had Sara pegged from the first time she met her. Sara just couldn't handle the fact that a child was smarter than her.
    Please and that kiss was anything but passionate. The one I feel sorry for is Hodges because he had to watch the whole pathetic thing.
    ANd that letter Geesh. So Sara would rather live miserable and alone than to be happy with the man she claims to love. But then cant even tell him in person. No she takes the cowards way out and just runs away. Yep that made a whole lot of sense.
    NY did it so much better with the "Dear Mac" letter from Peyton.

3. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I loved your review! I totally agree that Sara will be missed. I will continue to watch to see how it all plays out, but my interest may wane if her memory and her relationship with Grissom are not preserved.
    I have watched the episode several times and am feeling somewhat less depressed, or maybe just desensitized. But I truly believe Sara will be back and be stronger. Her performance was amazing. And her scenes with Petersen were phenomenal as usual. These scenes are what I will miss the most. I really liked the last scene Sara had with Hannah; after all Hannah had put her through Sara felt for her and seemed to try to reach out to her.
    Please come back, Jorja! Your fans, and Grissom, need you!

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I'm with you there--she's tricked/one-upped the CSIs twice now, so it would be nice to see her finally get what's coming to her. She's a really fascinating character, too. But I imagine it's realistic for some people to get away, and Hannah is a genius. She might never get caught. Still, both the actress and character are excellent, and I'd love to see her show up at some point again.

I'm not generally a fan of "Dear John" letters in TV, and I would have probably preferred an actual goodbye scene to what we got. That being said, it was one of the better goodbye letter scenes, because both characters are so reserved that I actually bought that Sara would leave a letter rather than risk a messy confrontation that would probably devastate them both.

I'm all for the 'to each their own' philosophy, but to this I have to ask, really?When Mac got that letter, we hadn't seen Peyton for several episodes, and it felt more like a way to tie up a loose end than a natural ending to a relationship. Unlike Sara, Peyton was very upfront about her feelings, and I would have expected her to at least call Mac to tell him they were done.

Much as this was an exit, I didn't get the feeling that Sara was leaving forever. I think she's going to slay her demons and intends to come back one day. She didn't ask Grissom to wait for her, but her letter implied to me that she needed to put her past behind her so that she could move on with her future. I think it's still possible that that future includes Grissom, especially given Jorja Fox's amicable parting with the show.

5. fifty8th

fifty8th Victim

I agree, add that to the fact the CM has declared to TV Guide Jorja will be back, I think it is safe to assume that Jorja will show up at least when William Peterson leaves the show.

That said I'll keep an eye on what is happening in the CSI world but I am not sure I will be watching it all that much without Sara. I know many people did not like her but I felt she was the heart of the show, the most real character on the show.

6. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

well, you can't consider someone who isn't fully developed as a 'sociopath'. It doesn't matter how intelligent they are.

she has promised a lot of things over the years in tv guide interviews, and they usually never happen. I wouldn't put too much faith in what CM says.

I really don't want her back soon. After all this production and drama surrounding her character, i just need a break from it.

I have a theory this only happened because the actress couldn't appear on the show anymore. It seems that way too me...sometimes the writers don't have much choice. I didn't like breaking them up in a letter either, but I agree that her letter was way better than Sara's. I was laughing at Sara's...it was so corny. The reasons for Payton's was more realistic and made more sense to me.

7. Top41

I disagree. Maybe "bad seed" would have been a safer euphamism for what Hannah is, but I don't think there's any doubt after last night that she'd bad to the bone. Some people are just evil, and I think Hannah fits into that category.

I doubt she'll be back soon; the earliest I'd expect to see her show up again would be mid to late next season, and there's no guarantee even then.

If they could get her to do a voice over for a letter, they could have gotten her to do a voiceover for a phone call. ;)

Nine times out of ten, I'd agree about the letter thing. I'm still not certain about it, but when I think about Sara and Grissom as characters with their own special brand of dysfunction, it does make sense, which is more than is true for most break ups by letter.

8. artem

artem Civilian

ahahahaha are you kidding me. I'll be so glad when this series is done

link removed for spamming--Top41

9. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Cried again. I don't know why I keep watching it. I guess it's because the performances are exceptional and it may be JF's last full episode. Nicely done CSI. But still missing Sara. She truly was an integral part of the team.

10. Top41

Agreed--it's definitely a different dynamic with her gone. And I know if I watch it again, I'll definitely cry, too! Great episode, but so sad.

11. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Me too, :( amazing, I was so down and blue, and I have watched it 3 times, Jorja is stunning, and you could see her melt-down and her deterioration throughout the whole ep. with that psycho Hannah, and her removing herself from the other case, she also showed this on "Who Or What" the horror and gruesomeness of it all.. she deserves an award for her performance and Billy too, his concern, and his disbelief watching her going down in her deameanor, and not quite knowing what to do.. amazing.. I miss her so!