"Goodbye & Good Luck" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Alien_from_mars

Alien_from_mars Prime Suspect

I think it was a bit of a pointles case as they didnt actually get Hannah convicted, but I guess they needed it to be left open as it lets it be the final straw for Sara and thats when she finally decides to leave.
    I thought it was a bit random that she left Gil the way she did, I think he deserved better than a letter, she should have actually spoken to him about it. And who knows? If he loved her that much he might have gone with her.
    She said in the letter she wouldnt trade their love for anyting, but hasnt she just gone and traded their love for a life elsewhere?
    Although I am happy at the fact she MAY come back in further series like a one off appearence but the last few episodes I have watched I havent enjoyed and I think that reason is because Sara hasnt been in them as much as she usually is. So I think I wont be enjoying the rest as much as I use to.
    I still think they should have kept her and gil together, she just gone out of it to find another job or done something else but kept them together, I found it pointles them finally getting together, coming out to everyone, wanting to get married and then she goes and leaves. I dont see the point to be honest of building their relationship up, and finally disappearing.
    It shows that Sara was weak and thats not really how I imagined her. But I guess thee is a breaking point in all of us.

2. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

my overall opinion on the episode, case-wise, is very positive. i didn't read any spoilers so i had no idea Hannah and Marlon were coming back and it surprised me. i really liked how in-depth TPTB went with Sara's burn out and how it all made sense. i loved the intensity and the mystery of the episode.

i also understood that Sara had to leave, and that she didn't want to say goodbye to anybody. at this point in her burn out it would be OOC if she was all 'Yo, i'm leeeeaving! Now i'm gonna hug everybody and SMIIIILE'.

what i absolutely didn't like was the way she treated grissom. you do not do that to your fiancee. it was somwhat cruel, and i have to agree that she was a bit selfish. you cannot leave a person after you just agreed to marry him, and when he is all lovey dovey and wants to help you. and even more, when you love him just as much.

after the episode i was convinced that she broke up with him in that letter. but now i come to a realization that there wasn't anything specific in it. it was neither 'it's over' nor 'i'll be back'. it was purposefully ambiguous so that there is an open door for sara to come back, or not.

one thing for sure, i absolutely didn't expect this turn of of events. i'm very hopeful that sara will heal her mind and come back to grissom. he left her for 4 weeks to do the same last season, so i'm sure he's gonna understand her to some point. it will be extremely interesting to see her back.

3. allmaple

allmaple Judge

they probably did in the end, after marlon died hannah had nothing left. she could have confessed after that.

i liked the case, but they really went over the top with hannah and her 'genius'. if my first year chem t.a. was 14 i think id want my money back. although the writers seem to be running out of ideas, it was very reminiscent of that case (i dont remember what the ep is called) where all the evidence pointed the the brother that disposed of the body and he killed himself in his holding cell.

i thought the way sara left was very poorly done. it pretty much came out of no where. yes shes had a bad year, yes she has issues, but so does every other person on the show. i thought it was very unflattering to her character that she bolts in the middle of the night. after 8 years to just cut and run not only on your friends but your fiancee.

i wasnt expecting much better, especially since they left like 2 minutes at the end to deal with it.

4. mslakerz43

mslakerz43 Dead on Arrival

I liked the episode! The more I think about it and after watching it for a second time I think TPTB did a good job. Sara was just through with everything and JF did a great job of showing that. After watching this you see how much Sara has changed and in the end has really stayed the same. I do feel bad for Griss but if he really knows Sara and not the type of person she is trying to be he'll understand why she had to go. I know a lot of people were wondering why she didn't say goodbye to the team but when you're in her state of mind logic doesn't exactly come naturally. Bottom line good ep I can't wait for if/when JF makes a return.

5. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I agree on both points! I was definitely averting my eyes during the scene, so catching Hodges' reaction really got me laughing. :lol:

6. byline

byline CSI Level One

True, but isn't that the point? In real life, people come from all sorts of backgrounds, but even people from similar backgrounds will respond very differently to various circumstances. I think that in Sara's case, while her actions were not admirable, they were believable given her past with her family, and her responses to it. Sara has been running away from that all her life. Now it's finally caught up with her, and of course even the consummated relationship she'd been yearning for with Grissom wasn't enough to "distract" her from the things she's going to have to come to terms with. As that famous quote by Yogi Berra says, "Wherever you go, there you are."

7. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Your comments mad alot os sense, I feel the same, when someone is broken and hurt they have to do what's best for them at the time .. and a big 'farewell' was not on her agenda.. and he will understand, remember when he spent the night with Lady Heather, and she stated" go do what you have to do" & he left her for his sabbitical, and she was OK with that was well... they have a deep trust with one another , and let each do what' they think is best..He will understand although I think he's baffeled right now, and stunned and hurt.. will see what happens down the line..I feel that Sara will put things in perspective, heal, and realize what she's missing and come back!

8. byline

byline CSI Level One

I'm also reminded of this quote from Grissom: "When I leave CSI, there won't be any cake in the breakroom. I'll just be gone."

9. Guybrush Threepwood

Guybrush Threepwood CSI Level One

The episode started out so good.
    It was intence, and it really had me on edge.

Then it litterary broke my heart.
    I'm not even kidding when I say that I'm still crying, twenty minutes after the episode was over.

I'm seriously going to have to take a break from CSI,
    and I'll return when I feel that I can.

And to everyone who might think that I'm pathetic, or a bad CSI fan; this show has done more for me then should be possible.

10. Clarrisani

Clarrisani CSI Level One

Anyone else think it interesting that Sara was the last to join, but first to go? Grissom, Catherine, Warrick, Nick and Greg were all in episode one, and Sara didn't appear til episode two. It intrigues me.

11. Purejoylove

Purejoylove Lab Technician

Yeah I was thinking about that too. Oh well. Some people just can't deal with stuff as well as others.

12. Clarrisani

Clarrisani CSI Level One

Sara was originally only meant to join the team for the investigation (Jorja was meant to join perminantly) if my memory serves correct, but stayed on to fill in Holly's position. She was CSI 2 as well, if I recall. Nick had just become CSI 3 and Warrick became CSI 3 a few episodes later.

I feel, in many ways, Sara was always a little bit of an 'outsider' to the others. She was the 'stay at home listen to the scanner' type of person. Nick teased her about that. Maybe it's because she kept to herself she felt she didn't have the support, other than Grissom, from work. That could have an impact on her and the way she is dealing with what happened.

13. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

Sara grew up alone. She never really got along well with people. Learning about her family and I see why she is quiet and independent. Like Grissom, it is hard for her to share her feelings.

Is it true that Jorja wrote Sara's letter to Grissom and that the writers did not write it?

14. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

I think it would be really pathetic if sara returned suddenly and they got back together. If my fiance ran away and just left a letter behind I would dump his ass. It would just make the whole storyline even more dragged on than it already is.

Honestly Sara did not solve any of her problems. And running away doesn't help. The fact that she just got worse and worse, even though she was in a relationship with Grissom clearly shows she wasn't happy. And if she can't even work out her problems with Grissom, then they didn't have much of a relationship to begin with.

I was laughing through the letter...how many times can someone say 'love', honestly.

Oh, and i forgot to mention: OMG THEY PLAYED THE X-FILES THEME SONG!!!

15. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Excatly, their both loners, and non-judgemental, like he stated once 'I don't judge people" and he took a 4 week break, and she didn't "dump him" and he wrote her a letter too! They both let each other be..thus their so right together. And there's was never a traditional relationship, one has to be very mature to understand the in's and out's of them, and I think when she heals, & gets a fresh perspective and takes care of what's bothering her.. alone..& she will, [she's been through more crap them anyone can possibly ingest]. Everyone handles sitiuations differently and deals with them in their own way. I have every hope that she will return better, and back to the Sara we all love! and that he loves ;)