Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Cat, Dec 2, 2006.

1. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Administrator Administrator

Let's not even go here. And please dial it back on the sarcastic comments.

Thanks.

2. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Well, seeing as most of the info we need in fanfiction is on the show... maybe if we could post/find/write up episode transcripts of the scenes where they discuss techniques, we could learn? I actually learnt alot by doing research and reading transcripts...

Just an idea *smiles shyly* lol

hugs

xx

3. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Ok, I'd edit, but I can't so yeah, I'm sorry.

Where are we on that dictionary? I could help if anyone likes. Or have I have a blond moment and missed it.

Oh and any info needed with reguards to pathology or anothopolpgy, I'm a medical and psychology/criminology student.. so yeah, i could help with thread making.

Jodie
    xx

4. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

HI, welcome ...
    well I don't think you would have such a list, but I could help you if you want ( i've just recently rewatched csi ny and csi miami) and i study forensics ... so if you want, if you tell me what notion you want illustrated, i could try and find you an episode.

For facial reconstruction, there's one (based from the skull) in CSINY episode 223

5. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Yeah, me too. I can help Miami wise, I'm not too stong on the others. But if you mention a technique, I can probably tell you the episode title, which you can then download on Itunes or something.

I must say, if my teachers had used CSI as an aid, I'd have been impressed!

6. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

The only problem is, that usually, the techniques they use are not very realistic ... so ...

adorelo, in Miami ( for blood patterns analysis) can you remember the name of the episode where a man pushed his daughter down the stairs because she knew he was having an affair with her aunt?

It's in season 2 I think ... but I can't find it ... (speed is stilll there i think)

7. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Yep that was 'Witness to murder' in season 2.

I know. I agree. I'd say they were 80% accurate most of the time. Though there are moments when I just want to pop in and say 'err, no...' :lol:

Hope that helps.

For other areas of forensics can I also recomend 'Bones' :D I learnt a lot from thet myself.

Jodie

x

8. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

one of the most accurate areas is usually firearms id .. they usually are very accurate..

9. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Yep and I can tell you about that too. My aunts a cop, I've been shooting since I can remember. Want info on a gun? Come to me hehe.

Of google. Google is always good.

10. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

yeah, although with guns, especially with all the chemicals .. to get the info you want, you often end up on very strange websites ...

11. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Do we have a website list page on this thread? Could I start one? Maybe a place people could post links to usful sites they have found. **EDIT: Yes we do, sorry. Just found it ;)**

What else could we put up to help folks who want to learn?

Oh, and I hope that episode was useful thegluups :)

12. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

?? Oh, it was just to answer a previous post from a teacher, and she was talking of blood pattern analysis and facial id ...

13. steph_r

steph_r Witness

As oppose to have a thread for forensic science questions, would it not be better to have a separate topic for each new question?
    That way the posts can focus on the question, it would be easier to browse, and the questions may lead onto further discussion on whatever topic the question was about.
    Might liven the place up a bit. Just a thought.

14. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

Why not, but the only problem is, not a lot of people actually do ask questions ...

15. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

People I ahve had a brainwave *get out the champagne*

What do we think of catagories? Like, instead of a new thread for each question, seperate the threads into catagories where people can ask.

Eg:

Trace: all question about trace (what it is/how it's done/how it's analysed etc)

Ballistics/Firearms: (Same as above)

Blood analysis (blah blah)

Do we like? Maybe we could start the topics depending on what area we most understand. Everyone I mean.

Let me know if you think that's silly.. or good :lol: hehe.

Jodie
    xx