Fans And Critics Weigh In On Sara's Departure

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Nov 15, 2007.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

Will CSI: Crime Scene Investigation suffer without Sara Sidle (<font color=yellow>Jorja Fox</font>)?

Fox's departure from CSI has some fans worried for the future of the show. "I think [CSI] will be worse off. The character, besides being a good, if troubled role model was often the voice of humanity on the show," <font color=yellow>S.H.</font> from Washington told MSNBC. "It was nice to see a woman in science who didn't wear all white to a crime scene or heels to check out blood spatter. I hope they find a like-minded person to replace her or somehow entice her back to the show." <font color=yellow>Joe</font> from Irvine, California agreed. "The show will not be the same without Jorja Fox and her character of Sara Sidle," he said, going on to say that Sara "is probably the most complex and emotive character on the show. Jorja's immense talent makes it so easy for the viewers to sympathize with the character, and I fear that without her the show will lose its heart and become a cold rock of boredom and mediocrity."

Critics, however, seem to think Fox's choice to leave CSI will not hurt the show in the long run. "CSI has built its success over the years by being more story-driven than star-driven," <font color=yellow>Vincent Fitzgerald</font>, who heads the communications department at the College of Mount Saint Vincent, told the NY Daily News. "Because of that, the show should be able to withstand the loss of one character without suffering in the ratings." Fitzgerald went on to say that "television has shown over the years, repeatedly, that supporting characters can be replaced or eliminated" without the show going downhill.

Fox's final episode is "Goodbye and Good Luck", which airs tonight. <font color=yellow>Hal Boedeker</font> described the episode as a "fitting farewell" for the actress. "Fox plays Sara's sadness with such wrenching and relatable feeling that this episode becomes one of the most satisfying hours you'll see this season," he said at OrlandoSentinel.com. Boston Herald reviewer <font color=yellow>Mark A. Perigard</font> said that "[t]he nature of her departure will stab at the hearts of viewers."

Comments on "Goodbye and Good Luck" are from the Orlando Sentinel and the Boston Herald. Examples of fans' reactions can be found at MSNBC. The quotes about CSI's ability to withstand losing a main cast member are from NY Daily News.<center></center>

2. BugChaser

BugChaser Victim

I've read a few of the articles out at the moment and I can definitely see both sides of the opinions. There were times Sara totally pissed me off with her pouty self but then she'd turn around and impress the hell out of me! Gonna miss her :(

3. csi007

csi007 Police Officer

I'll definitely miss Jorja more than I'll miss Sara. I just hope Jorja finds work elsewhere.

4. CSItame007

CSItame007 Victim

Sara will be missed, but that's how life is. People meet and depart. For a TV show to have that is true to reality.

5. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

She's producing a play for her theater group 'HONEYPOT PRODUCTIONS" and is in a girls band. she's pretty busy, if she does do anything TV wise, I'm hoping she'll return to CSI!