What the Writers' Strike Means to CSI: NY

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Lorelai

Lorelai CSI Level One

:(

Writers' strike's wide ripples

More here.

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Elsie, I feel the same way you do about strikes in general. I'm not a big fan of unions, and I think striking isn't generally a good way to get what one wants. I think this one, if it continues, will cause a lot of damage--to the econony in SoCal, to the people who are directly affected by this and yet don't stand to benefit from it no matter what happens (the crew, etc.) and to scripted television as a medium. I don't think there are going to be any winners here, not if this goes on for a long time.

That being said, I do agree that the writers deserve what they're asking for. Their demands aren't outrageous and it is their work that fuels this entire industry--there would be no scripted television to staff all of those people if it weren't for writers. Many of them live off residuals when they're not working, and it seems like what they get in residuals should be adjusted as the way TV shows are rerun changes (the internet as opposed to syndication).

However, the fact of the matter is, the studios can probably hold out a lot longer than the writers, and the reality is that this strike might be financially devastating for a lot of people and in the end accomplish nothing. And that's really sad. :(

3. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Hit and Run

Top41, the part of the country I live in is very "union" oriented and all my life there has been one kind of a strike or other. From a nasty one that affected my family personally (mentioned in an earlier post) to ones that cause serious disruptions (teachers' strikes, hosptial workers' strikes, ferry strikes - I live on an island) etc. I've seen a lot. Someone earlier expressed shock that a picketer had been hit by a car. Can't say I was surprised - it happens. Emotions rise, violence can occur and for what? As you say, it can be financially devastating and at the end of the day, neither side usually "wins". One side gets "less" than they wanted and the other side "gives up" more than they wanted. In the meantime, as you say, it can be financially devastating for a lot of people.

Unions used to be a good thing - they brought about safety at the workplace and decent wages. And they need to stay in place to ensure that those things don't slide. Unfortunately many unions have reached a place where they need to justify their existence and the result has been unnecessary strikes that, ironically enough tend to hurt more people than they help. I'm not saying that this particular union doesn't have a valid case - thanks to this thread's excellent information, one can see that both sides have their points. Unfortunately, whether their case is justified or not, the usual side effects (job losses, "consumers" going elsewhere and maybe never coming back etc.) are inevitable. Sigh.

Anyway - I do wonder, if neither side seems willing to talk to the other, where is the mediator? One thing about strikes in my part of the world is there are a few people whose job it is to act as mediator. One guy in particular - if you hear that he has stepped in to mediate, you can be almost assured that some kind of settlement will be reached. With a strike that can affect the economy the way this one can you would think someone would be appointed to get the sides talking by now.

4. elevatorfalls

elevatorfalls Victim

Just to clarify, that the residuals given to writers for the dvds are shared among all the writers. They don't each get their own four cents, the 0.3% is shared among all the writers.

I'm sad because I totally agree with whoever above said that the writing has been excellent this season. I feel like CSI:NY is the best of the three this season. Aside from the massacre of a remix of the theme song, the episodes just seem sharper, brighter, snappier, more cohesive than in previous seasons.
    I'm glad they've been *a lot* more subtle on the Lindsay/Danny stuff; it's still there and cute, but not over the top!

5. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Indeed, I agree that they should be paid fairly and that without them there would be no scripted TV shows. But I also see many others as essential to the industry too. I appreciate that the writers may live off the residuals when they aren't working, but for the majority of people working in the entertainment industry, no work probably equals no income at all. ;)

Of course they can. And as LateToTheGame says, they seem to have a desperate need for someone to mediate in this mess. Although, I'm sure people have tried, but I guess it's impossible to mediate between two opposing sets who both think they are in the right. Certainly both sides are determined and steadfast, which I often consider to be positive attributes, but in this situation is actually rather frustrating.

6. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

ulg, the ferry ones always pissed me off...they make like $30/hr, and who takes the hit? The consumers...the ferry prices are outrageous. Especially since they could probably build a bridge. I was in elementary school when the long teachers strike happened, so i wasn't too upset about missing a couple months of school...

Ultimately I don't think the public are going to be so compassionate if the strike affects tv shows. People will just get fed up and switch to other entertainment. Also, this strike is just going to increase the number of game and reality shows...which means less work for the writers anyway. Also, i am betting if they get more money for DVDs, they will just raise the price of the sets.

I don't see any good coming from this strike.

7. Top41

Right now, there are no talks going on as far as I know. I believe Governor Schwarzenegger made an effort to be a mediator, but as far as I know, nothing came out of it. From what I understand, the writers were willing to concede the DVD residual issue if the studios would give them better residuals from internet airings, but the studios wouldn't budge.

EDIT: Any L.A. area fans planning to go to Universal on Friday for this Walk with the Writers thing? Apparently the CSI writers are going to be there. I think I might go!

8. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Right now, it seems like both sides are too busy stating their cases--loudly and repeatedly--than actually working toward a compromise. The WGA says something about the way the AMPTP operates, the AMPTP turns around and makes a comment about the way the WGA is acting, etc etc etc. In the end, they're just going back and forth.

Both sides asked to talk to Schwarzenegger, and he obliged, but there's not really anything he can do. Unions are federally regulated, so it's not a state matter. I read before that Bill Clinton offered to mediate negotiations--but that would require both sides to sit down at the same table before it could actually work.

9. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Hit and Run

But if you were in Grade 12 looking to graduate and move on to university or college, the teachers strike would be major blow. Even elementary school kids - parents have to scramble to find day care for those kids, etc. etc. As for the ferry strikes - well when you live on an island, how do you suppose food, fuel and basic essentials get to you? So it's not just the price of a ticket that eventually goes up. Our gas prices are consistently higher than anywhere else in the country, for example. The point is, no matter what industry goes on strike, more people are affected than the "two sides" that are fighting it out. What's worse, the "bystanders" usually have no recourse either. What's sad is that some people who are now being laid off because productions are shutting down may not necessarily get their jobs back.

It's too bad that a professional mediator hasn't been called in (don't know what credentials the governor or former president may have in this area). Mediation doesn't always work, but then nothing will, as long as the two sides refuse to even talk to each other.

More game and reality shows? Sigh.

10. AnastaziaMarie

AnastaziaMarie Hit and Run

I just recently heard about the writer's strike....*stinkin final exams....* I think that its sad that the writers can not come up with an agreement to settle the problem.

I think if I watch enough re-runs....Ill start quoting things from each eppi...and that would be very bad. XD

11. Annwn

Annwn Rookie

In teh UK we have ACAS (Advisory,Conciliation and Arbitration Service) an independant organisation; the sole aim is to bring the factions together - initially they talk to the two (or more) sides individually and then act as arbiters when the 'sides' get to the point where they're ready for face to face contact. It isn't ideal, but it seems that the two parties here need someone to act a go-btween. As has already been mentioned, in a strike neither side really wins, the money lost is never recovered. There are so many 'back room' people who will lose out. I would appeal to both sides to talk and sort things out - for everyones' sakes.

(And the UK used to be infamous as the striking nation of Europe)

12. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Here's an excerpt from article in "Fort Collins:Now" that I found particularly interesting.

The whole story can be found here: Fort Collins: Now

I thought this, from "The Gulf Daily News" was interesting as well:

George Clooney, you da man.

13. Charity

Charity Police Officer

Here is something that may be worth checking out. In short it's an effort to force the execs hands by bombarding them with pencils the way they were for Jericho with peanuts

Again, the link to send pencils to media moguls in honor of you favorite show(s) or writer(s) is: http://unitedhollywood.bl.../pencils2mediamoguls.html

14. Top41

Joss Whedon! :D Just seeing his name and his writing makes me smile. A little OT, but I do love him. :D

15. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

I've read about this pencil campaign on the "Cold Case" board... looks like there's a lot of fans participating out there.