Grade 'Buzzkill'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Islandgirl

Islandgirl Police Officer

Good ep, but apparently I missed something near the end, because I'm confused:
    If the guy who robbed the bar *wasn't* actually the boyfriend of the girl he shot, how did she recognize him and, more importantly, how did his semen get on her (since she wasn't raped)? If he *was* actually her boyfriend, why didn't he know her mother was dead?

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^That was confusing. Here's what I think happened. Paul, the boyfriend/hook up buddy, is the one whose semen is on Brandi's clothes and the ski mask, which was being worn by James, his roommate. Presumably Brandi would have known James from going to Paul's apartment to hook up with him, but why Paul's semen was on James' ski mask, I have no idea. :lol: :devil: That's the best I could make of it--it was really confusing.

I gave this one an A-. I really enjoyed both cases, though I found the ending really abrupt. I wanted to see Danny get pissy with Paul in the final interrogation. Danny takes it so personally when people lie to him/turn out to be not what he thought they were that it would have been fun to see the final showdown.

LOVE the continuity with Danny once again trusting/believing the wrong person. Danny really does seem to do that over and over--his internal meter must really be broken. Anyway, I love how that plays out, and how upset he gets when he finds out he was wrong.

I also love the stuff with Mac--Danny is still trying to impress him, and Mac, who usually is just the tough, suck it up type, tries to get Danny to go home or at least eat something at the hospital. It's cool to see the father/son dynamic between those two back a little bit.

Why would Stella meet Drew alone on that rooftop? :rolleyes: Come on Stella--be smarter! I really hope this isn't going to put her in yet another bad situation with a guy. :rolleyes:

3. Islandgirl

Islandgirl Police Officer

Well, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was confused!

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Ah, ok, thanks. :)

But dudes, I've totally figured out the Adam mystery. See, it's kind of like "Where's Waldo?", but instead it's "Where's Adam?" We have to watch the whole episode looking in the background to see if we can spot his beard or part of a plaid shirt. :p

5. Lorelai

Lorelai CSI Level One

A -

Stell, please! Don’t wanna see you getting hurt again. :( Yes, he’s charming! But, still creepy!
    - Death straight up! LOLZ Nice Flack.
    - May I please have the old intro song back?
    - They spend big $ on the special effects. :p
    - Look Flack, food! LOL
    - Danny! Looking pretty in blue. Puppy eyes! Too adorable. Carmine, you are amazing! Love the way he changes his voice.
    - Love Flack’s interrogations. You pissed babe? Eddie does pissed so good!
    - “Nick, I’ve had guys in here blame their criminal behavior on wifes, bosses, even the devil. But I gotta tell ya, this is a new one. You’re telling me you were driven to this by a shiny red light? ” LMAO Now breathe Donnie! This will make a nice Thanksgiving dinner story.
    - Duuude! Ever heard of blinds or curtains or headphones?
    - Nice evil smile Donnie ;)
    - Smiling Hawkes is cute. Love his energy!
    - Fall in NY is beautiful.
    - Not electrocution… keep searching Stell
    - That’s a lot of candy.
    - I love Stella’s top. So pretty!
    - The drug testing kit just happened to be on the table?
    - Shower? Yes, please Danny, please! No? :(
    - “All this misery..” Love seeing this emotional Danny.
    - Nice to see the doc doing the right thing. He’s a brave man!
    - Awww! Danny, you just liked the bad guy. Again! It’s you alright! You is too sweet! Don’t be mad, I love you.
    - Cat! Not allergic huh? Glad to see you better. LOL It’s official. Flack is not allergic to cats!
    - Hey, be nice to the cat you are not allergic to! She’s your friend. She showed you the candy! LOL
    - Yes, Flack, you are good. That a threat? It worked. ;) “Ask your lawyer..”
    - Dear Sid, you are source of much funny! Thanks! Love, Lorelai!
    - Wow! Stella looking good!
    - LOL Getting fingerprints of the gloves. The irony!
    - Pissed & frustrated Danny is hot! ( and adorable)
    - “Tipping me for my zooming skils? ” Big LOLZ Danno!
    - Danny & Hawkes are source of major cuteness! Not gonna ask…
    - Baby, you can bake! LOL But that don’t look tasty! :p
    - Now Danny is really pissed. Is the boyfriend!
    - Both Danny and Flack were nervous and easily pissed this episode. Hot. :p
    - “You killed my career…” Oh boy! Lots of nuts in this episode.
    - So, 3 consecutive CODs. Pulmonary edema, jelly fish, electrocution. Poor girl!

So, not a bad episode, just not exciting. Kinda meh… Whatever! Not a memorable one. As usually saved by Danny, Flack and Stella.
    Where was Adam??
    The best about this episode: DANNY. The real Danny. ;) Emotional, a tad nervous, pissed, brilliant, trusting the wrong person. Real & perfect! S1 Danny Messer, pretty please don’t go away again. I love you! Stay with us!

6. Leftyguitar

Leftyguitar Police Officer

Good episode, but there were a few things that bugged me. Jellyfish??:rolleyes:
    I think the writers brains went on strike well before they did.

I liked the other case a lot better. Danny waS GREAT!!! I missed most of the season, so I don't know if Prozac Danny took over, but he seemed more like himself this week. :D

Where was Adam? :confused: oh well.

And why would Stella meet that creepy dude alone on a roof to tell him no? She should be smarter then that.

Anyway, I need to get going. Bye Bye.

7. i_heart_togo

i_heart_togo Dead on Arrival

i gave this episode a B+. glad to Danny back to normal. The case with the JellyFish thingy was confusing for me but the one case i understood. Glad that Mac/Danny got to work together they haven't worked much this season so far. I loved have Flack/Danny got so pissed off in this espiode and how they were so funny and both so hot.

8. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I gave it a B+ aswel- it was good ep but not as good as some of the previous season4 eps which I gave As!

9. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Yep, pretty much agree with what everyone has already written. ;)

I'd give it an A- for effort. I think this episode was supposed to be all about the cases, aside from creepy stalker Drew tempting Stella with a drink, but at least we didn't get Mac harping on about 333 again. Unfortunately, whilst interesting, the cases lacked something.

Yes, Stella has been right about this guy all along. Do we think that maybe he's finally realised it's time to go to plan B because plan A (shower her with gifts and harrass her until she falls into your arms) isn't going to work? We'll have to wait and see, but I'm bored already, so I hope it ends soon.

The cases were interesting, but I think maybe they were trying too hard. It actually all seemed rather rushed and overly complicated, especially in the Martini glass murder. The plot had plenty of misdirection to keep us guessing, and ended up with something you couldn't even hazard a guess at if you were feeling lucky. Microscopic jellyfish in a blow up olive, one of which happened to sting the vic and kill her after which she was electrocuted but not before some drunk pelts them all with tennis balls. It's kind of hilarious, but a bit too random...

Whenever I watch NY with my DH he has a tendency to attempt to guess right from the start who the murderer is and how the victim died. Watching Buzzkill with him I got the responses 'she was electrocuted' (incorrect) and for the restaurant/bar shooting 'that's not her boyfriend, he's definitely involved' (correct). Which really illustrates something about the second case. It was kind of obvious what was going on, but Danny was blind to it, so maybe because that case seemed too simple they threw a kidnapping into the mix. But I just didn't feel any sense of urgency toward the kidnap victim, merely it just kind of went along. Mac didn't seem to concerned, and Danny was just pissed off because of his (once again) poor character judgement. But angry Danny is pretty cute, so maybe it's Mac that irked me on this one. And the fact the Danny was on the scene so quickly. Unless I missed it, I would have liked (as with Stella explaining to Flack that she was quick in her response because she was in the neighbourhood) some explanation of why/how Danny got there so fast.

Meh, I still liked the episode, it was interesting. But it could have been so much better and seemed a little lacking. and no I'm not talking about the adorable MIA lab tech, although I did miss him, the episode was missing something else for me...

10. Surreal_44

Surreal_44 Hit and Run

I was once again utterly unimpressed with Danny. Of all the characters on the show, I dislike him and Hawkes the most, for two totally different reasons, and I go between disliking one or the other depending on how obnoxious/stupid I found them to be in this episode.

Danny won my ire this week for being an incompetent detective and not questioning the 'boyfriend' more thoroughly. The fact that the guy showed up immediately after the shooting should have made Danny suspicious. And the guy's behavior was just too weird.

I realize this is one of Danny's flaws, but seriously, how many hints does he need before he realizes who the bad guy is?

....I know, everyone disagrees with me on how I feel about Danny and Hawkes. :p I'm sorry, I just can't like those two no matter how hard I try. If Danny weren't so emo, or was possibly less childish I think I'd like him better.

Anyway, the attempted murder case with the kidnapping was fairly interesting. I liked the doctor who struggled with the choice of saving his brother or his patient, and how he chose to do the right thing. That was awesome, and I wanted to give him all kinds of love for doing it.

And you know what? I think his brother would have understood. I don't know what in the episode makes me believe that, but I do.

I would have liked a little more explanation on the guy Brandi screwed around with, or maybe we did and I totally missed it. Either way, it was a fun little tie-in, although I thought it took all the CSIs a little too much time to figure out why Brandi had been shot. Apparently they need to get more sleep.

The second case was a bit fun, with the three suspects all having really stupid motivations for what they did. I enjoyed watching Flack get cranky with everyone. Apparently he's not getting much sleep either. ;-)

The jelly fish were an interesting touch to the story. I like unusual weapons for murder, and that was definitely an interesting choice.

Just a few other comments:

--Stella, what is wrong with you? Meeting with Drew? Drinking his...wine? BAD STELLA!!!

--I don't like Angell. I don't know why.

--The bone shop rocked my world. I want to work there and play with the bones! It was by far the coolest thing in the entire episode.

--Much love to Sid. He's darling and just too dang funny. I'd love to hang around him. It'd be entertaining and educational in all kinds of scary ways.

ETA: I graded it a B. It was just 'ok'.

11. RanMa

RanMa CSI Level Two

Hey, not everyone :D I've disliked him since S1 for the same reasons you gave. He was such a drama queen. Now, I couldn't care less if his character left or died actually. Hawkes is tolerable ;)

12. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

I gave it a A-

hmmm...there have been good solid episodes, but none yet this season that were just 'wow'...kind of like Raising Shane last season. I was a little surprised this was a sweeps eppy.

But overall the cases were pretty good.

I like stella and lindsay working together, they make a pretty good team.

I know the jellyfish thing was pretty unbelievable, but i liked it. I like strange, unusual methods of killing people :lol: And, usually i can predict what is going to happen, but that just came out of left field. Also liked the fact that the guy was the target. It was interesting when he realized this.

The heroin lollies were kind of interesting. I think csi are trying to find all the different ways to hide drugs in plain site.

The red light reminded me of Seinfeld :lol:

For the second case, i knew right away that the 'boyfriend' had something to do with it. And I was thinking 'wow why is it so obvious'...but then i realize, it was supposed to be obvious to us. We are supposed to realize how guilty this guy is, to show how Danny's character flaw. If it wasn't obvious, then the audience wouldn't get it.

Ulg, Hawkes is now the token black guy. Sucks, i love him so much...i like his storylines he had last season, especially in Raising Shane. He is fantastic, want to see more!

the kidnapping angle was pretty good, again, not too predictable, i thought for sure that girl was toast.

And that is all i can remember for now...

13. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

My big question to TPTB is: What is up with all the convoluted plots lately? Simple, straightforward ones aren't gonna eat you alive, ya know. :p In fact, they're the ones that usually have the strongest and long-lasting impact when done well! Please to be referring to the greatest crime drama in the history of television, Law & Order.

I have to say this, really, the whole alcoholic dude shooting tennis balls because the billboard was driving him up the wall? Dude, have you ever freaking heard of blinds? Or, you know, MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE? Yeesh. That one deserved to get shipped to Sing Sing. At least there all he has to worry about is Bubba making him his new girlfriend instead of blinking billboards. Even Flack had a look that clearly said, "Buddy, you are a f***ing idiot."

The jellyfish idea ... gosh, no wonder these people are getting caught. Stick to the good ol' ways of murder, perps, the ol' ways. There's a reason they're still around after thousands and thousands of years, ya know.

And a few other notes:

- Drew? Telling a woman straight out that you suck at picking her up and that you've already used your best move is the dumbest thing ever. And you wonder why Stella's not interested in you, psh.

- Stella, your hair deserves a place of its own in the credits. As well as your boobs.

- Flack, where the hell do you go to buy your fugly ties? I think you may have a problem with stripe and dots coordination here. And dude, you've lost your cat allergy! *le gasp* I am so shocked, I have become French.

- Oh, Danny, you were more natural in this episode than you've been for the last two seasons. If this is a sign that the passionate, animalistic hot you is making a comeback, I am haaaaaappy. You don't like hospitals, do ya? Are we ever gonna get a hint about what's happened to your brother Louie? Ya know, that guy who got beaten up by his old pals and saved your ass? And baking skills? Yes ... I'm sure Flack enjoys your buns very much.

- Sid is awesome every week. Lovely to see more Hawkes, although it seems he's been relegated to doing just lab work lately. Hmm, didn't see much Mac this episode. Probably because he's gonna be the star for the conclusion to the 333 storyline coming up, eh? Lindsay was bearable, but I guess it's because she was doing mostly lab work again and didn't need to emote. And by the way ... where was Adam? AJ Buckley was listed in the credits, and Adam is no show? Baaad TPTB.

14. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Hit and Run

Okay, I didn't tape the episode, and missed a bit while making tea, but as near as I could figure - Paul, the fake boyfriend was outside - he wasn't the shooter. The other guy, James (I think his name was) was inside, lost his mask and he is the one Brandi recognized. I think (and this is where making tea comes in - I kind of missed this part) there was surveillance that showed Paul, the fake boyfriend outside - maybe even reading a text on his phone (from James, alerting him that a witness still lived).

Here's the part I found hard to swallow. James is recognized by Brandi (not something he would have expected) so he shoots her in the head and yet she lives (again, not something he would have expected). Yet he is able to alert Paul that a witness still lives and Paul had better monitor her progress by going along to the hospital with her. He then goes off to kidnap the brother of the neurosurgeon - err who he just happens to know is going to be on duty and will be the one to operate on Brandi. He knew which hosptial, which surgeon and where to find the surgeon's brother - just like that. :rolleyes: Boggles the mind!

15. privatename

privatename Rookie

See I thought that when Danny and the fake boyfriend were talking to the doctor and the fake boyfriend used his phone to supposedly call the girl's mother he was calling his partner to relay what the emergency room doctor had just said which was something along the lines of her surgery would be in the morning and the neurosurgeon Dr. blahblah would be better able to tell if the bullet could be removed safely. Anyway, that is how I thought the kidnapper knew which doctor to kidnap/kill/threaten (?), but he wasn't at his office so they kidnapped his brother instead.