UK Season 5 "A Grizzly Murder" Review

ClarkF1

Hit and Run
This is off the Radio Times (UK TV Listings magazine) website....had me howling with laughter.....

A group of amateur hunters is creeping through the Florida Everglades when one of them is savaged by a bear. In the honourable tradition of CSI: Miami opening sequences, this is strong stuff and frighteningly well done. If only we could have an episode made up entirely of such opening sequences, rather than the demented plots that follow. Take tonight's for instance. Horatio Caine (David Caruso), hands on hips like an angry mum on a northern front step, faffs around with his sunglasses and goes all soppy over an emotionally damaged prostitute as he investigates why the dead man was covered in a substance known to attract bears. What follows is a story so labyrinthine that to call it "convoluted" somehow does it a disservice. But doubtless no CSI: Miami fan would have it any other way.

RT reviewer - Alison Graham

Source: Radio Times

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Radio Times reviews are priceless. :D I started a thread a while back with references to some of them...

Here's the link. I'm sure you will be amused! ;)

I always enjoy a good laugh at the RT reviews, especially when I agree with them, but even when I don't their sarcasm always has me :lol:

In all honesty, though, in my opinion, CSI Miami has never boasted to me to be a serious, ground-breaking program, but more of a flamboyant, action packed, great big rollercoaster ride full of fun and excitement kind of program, with a healthy dash of strong and vibrant characters.

On that, characters are always important to me, so until they start to significantly mess around with the characters and have them behaving very much out-of-character, then I don't think I'll ever complain about CSI Miami - It's pure entertainment for me and I do enjoy that.

Anyway, all in all, I sometimes think that the RT reviewer(s) of CSI Miami is(are) wasting their obviously good grasp of sarcasm and biting wit on such a program - chuckle - Which is a shame really because I could name at least a couple of other programs that would be much more deserving of it :D

:)

I sometimes think that the RT reviewer(s) of CSI Miami is(are) wasting their obviously good grasp of sarcasm and biting with on such a program.
I disagree. The Radio Times reviewers are amused by how seriously Miami seems to take itself, so their sarcasm is absolutely ideal for such a show. It really does open itself up to ridicule on so many levels and the reviewers and readers get a good giggle out of it. :D
I could name at least a couple of other programs that would be much more deserving of it
The RT reviews tend to cover most programmes across the board (ie. the general viewing spectrum), so the shows you have in mind quite possibly don't escape their attention. ;)

There's no question that CSI:Miami takes itself way too seriously much of the time, especially with it's portrayal of Horatio. The Radio Times is simply mocking this for all it's worth. The show is a TV critic's heaven in many ways. :)

I love this from the RT review of 'Going, Going, Gone':
Television's most pretentious twerp, Lt Horatio Caine, does what you just know he's been itching to do for the whole of his career - he saves the world. Single-handed. Just him. On his own. No back-up. Nothing.

Even for CSI: Miami this is an insanely stupid story.

*sigh* I love it!

The things is, I don't actually get the "CSI Miami taking themselves too seriously" bit at all. I suppose it might be because I've never taken the program seriously myself. However, to be honest, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't spend time making sure that the characters are being accurately portrayed, that they get the continuity right and that the scenes are as credible as they can be, because no matter whether it's realistic or not, attention to detail and continuity are very important, in my opinion.

Still, from what little I've seen of CSI LV, well, that really does/perhaps did take itself very seriously in my opinion, and I think far more deserving of the biting wit and sarcasm, because, for me, it's not half as entertaining as CSI Miami and it is very dark, morose and almost emoish in my opinion... Sorry...

But CSI Miami, well, there's not a lot you could take seriously concerning that program, and for me, biting wit and sarcasm is always a waste of time when it's used to diss a program that's not really known for its realism. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy it, I do, but I still think it's wasted on CSI Miami.

...Just an opinion...

As for the accuracy of of this quote: Television's most pretentious twerp, Lt Horatio Caine, does what you just know he's been itching to do for the whole of his career - he saves the world. Single-handed. Just him. On his own. No back-up. Nothing.

Even for CSI: Miami this is an insanely stupid story

The thing about using biting wit and sarcasm is that you really need to be accurate in detail when using them or you could just end up making yourself look a bit of a twat, and this time around with the above quote, well the reviewer looks a bit of a twat to me, possibly because the comments are vastly inaccurate.

When it comes to solving the crime, Horatio has always been a team player. When it comes to his personal life, well that's an entirely different matter, but it never involves saving the world - so they can't be referencing that then. Anyone who's taken notice of the characters in CSI Miami should already know this, btw.

I really look forward to the episodes that Radio Times chooses as the Day's Choice. I love the reviews! Horatio as a northern mum on her front doorstep! ROFL!

Radio Times makes fun of the things that would really annoy me about the show if I were taking it seriously - Horatio's superheroness, his obsession with his sunglasses, Calleigh's immaculate appearance... Long live RT! :D

Television's most pretentious twerp, Lt Horatio Caine, does what you just know he's been itching to do for the whole of his career - he saves the world. Single-handed. Just him. On his own. No back-up. Nothing.

Even for CSI: Miami this is an insanely stupid story.

Aww man this is so funny and very accurate. :) How to not love RT reviews. At last someone put H on his place. And speak of this, now I start wonder what will say RT for H new plot line re Kyle. I think this will be more worth to be read, then to watch the epis. hehe

AliGtr said:
I really look forward to the episodes that Radio Times chooses as the Day's Choice. I love the reviews! Horatio as a northern mum on her front doorstep! ROFL!
I have to say that that quote made me laugh out loud, because it just conjurs a really hilarious picture in my mind, but there are times when I just don't get their comments at all because I can't make a connection with what's being said to what they are alluding to.

AliGtr said:Radio Times makes fun of the things that would really annoy me about the show if I were taking it seriously - Horatio's superheroness, his obsession with his sunglasses, Calleigh's immaculate appearance... Long live RT! :D
Given what my other favourite programs are I often wonder why I like CSI Miami so much, but I think it's because there's not a lot of things you can take seriously about the program.

As you say, long live RT, but, for me, only if they continue to make remarks that I can actually get my head around and laugh along with them.

Maybe it just comes down to differing senses of humour, and sometimes they manage to tap into mine and sometimes they don't :)

Back