Food for the Heart

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by MiaCharlize, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Mitss90

Mitss90 Dead on Arrival

You know, I can't cook. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it always goes wrong. It never ends up the way I want it to be.

I live in the Netherlands and there are some typical Dutch things like 'hagelslag', traditionally lots of chocolate-snippers which the Dutch sprinkle on their bread.

Or 'haring', a typical Dutch delicacy is eating a raw herring (fish) with raw onions. You pick the fish up by the tail and let it slide into your mouth gradually. Of course the head is removed and the fish has been cleaned. The first catch of the season is called Hollandse nieuwe ('Dutch new') and is considered a special treat.

It's winter, so it's time for 'erwtensoep'(pea soup) again. Another famous Dutch delight. Dutch pea soup is a meal in itself and is full of fresh winter vegetables and chunks of bacon and sausage. You should be able to stand a spoon upright in a good pea soup.

I did want to post some images, but I couldn't get the links working, so just google them or something. :p

2. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

ROFL!!! So true.

I've never really gotten a chance to see if I'm any good at cooking. Although once a friend of mine was over and we managed to screw up mac and cheese. And not the make it yourself, put it in the oven mac & cheese, the take it out of the box, put it in the microwave, cook, stop, cook, stop, cook kind of thing. We forgot to put the milk in or something. Yeah, that was embarrassing.

My all-time favourite food though, is pork chops! If it wouldn't get boring after a while I would live off pork chops. :)

3. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Got to try Tim Horton's for the first time ever this morning on the way to work. the one near my new job is open 24 hours a day. Great bagels and cream cheese.

4. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

I just made baked apples with lots of honey and raisins. Soooo delicious :D It's one of my favorite winter foods... along with Christmas cookies ;)

5. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Mia, have you ever tried warm apple cider with a cinnamon stick and some shipped cream it's amazing! Especially in the winter time.

6. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

Sounds like something worth trying, only tried cold cider before...

7. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Dude, need to put syrup there, not honey ;)

My fave winter... well it's a drink is this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulled_wine
    (see the Glögg part)
    Usually non-alcoholic one (put you can always pour some vodka in it :p )

8. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

*bump*

What are you all eating for Christmas?

My girlfriend and I still don't know what to cook on Christmas, so I was wondering what everybody else will be eating. Do you have any traditional meals? Something you eat every year? Or do you cook something special?

My family used to have raclette most years but I find it too much effort to prepare for just 2 people...

9. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

My family do the whole traditional thing, big Turkey etc, except I'm going off meat, so they aren't impressed this year.

We always have either mum or dads parents over, so we cook for 6. I help make the little sausages wrapped in bacon, that's as far as I go.

For 2 people, I don't know, a lot of Christmas meals are hassly. Just have 2 puddings :D I love Christmas pudding.. yum yum and Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough icecream.

10. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

For two people, a fun thing to do is chocolate fondue! :D

Basically, you just melt some chocolate and cut all sorts of fruit (e.a. an apple, strawberries, bananas, grapes,) into little pieces. Also add some cookies and marshmellows and stuff, you know, for dessert :D
    And then just dip whatever you want into the chocolate.
    I'm telling you, it's so delicious it should be illegal :lol:

[​IMG]

11. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

oh yeh, they are amazing, strawberries and marshmallows in them, yum.

12. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

*smacks* OK, I'm getting hungry! I recently bought me a chocolate fondue, after this picture I can't wait to try it! :D

We'll have - as an every year tradition - a delicious meat fondue for Christmas. With bread, potatoes, cucumbers, different sauces and of course tons of meat :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

I am seriously getting hungry now :D

14. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Please add more content than just oneliners :rolleyes:

MMMM, Christmasfood... Ham! Oh I love it so much. Another I love is rice porridge + mixed fruit soup and liver casserole. Other casseroles are Rutabaga, carrot and potatoe and me doesnt' touch those.
    And lutefish (trout) *throws up* Then there's rosolli salad (beetroot, apple, potatoe,gherkin,onion.

And fish! Ah freshly salted salmon <3333 and glass master's herring

Here we go
    http://virtual.finland.fi/xmas/index.asp?p=4&sub=11

15. CalleighD

CalleighD Lab Technician

I'm not really into all the Christmas/winter food (well apart from the desserts!) because everything is so starchy and heavy and it makes you feel tired lol.

Desserts though, are another thing, I love hot mince pies and cream- lovely :D