If There's A Writers Strike, Will It Affect The 3 CSI Shows?

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by Carolyn_333, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

On the news they've been talking about a potential writers strike involving both tv and movie writers. So far, the only tv shows I've heard them mention it affecting are LOST, ER, 24 and Grey's Anatomy. I say it'll affect all shows that are in production, use scripts and need writers to write those scripts. So, I say it will affect all 3 CSI shows as well as other CBS shows like Young and the Restless, Bold and the Beautiful, As The World Turns, Guiding Light, Moonlight, Without A Trace, Cold Case, Shark, NCIS etc. That's just some of the CBS shows. I didn't even list any ABC shows except for LOST or any other Fox shows besides 24 or any other NBC shows besides ER. I so hope I'm wrong about it affecting the 3 CSI shows but I doubt I will be. Although, in my opinion, the CSI: Miami writers went on strike all through season 4 of CSI: Miami. I personally think that's why season 4 of CSI: Miami was so crappy and forgettable. Now I wanna hear (ok read) your thoughts on this potential writers strike and its possible effects on the 3 CSI shows. I don't care if you're a fan of 1, 2 or all 3 CSI shows, I wanna hear from you. So...
    Speak now or forever hold your peace.

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Re: If There's A Writers Strike, Will It Affect The 3 CSI Sh

This makes four threads about the same topic, the others being one in CSI NY, one in General TV & Media, and one in CSI News. Since it will affect the songs in episodes or the possibility of making Fan Fiction into episodes maybe we can start threads there, too.

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

In short: yes, it will affect all three CSI shows.

We have members that only frequent certain forums on the board, so I'll leave this thread open and link to others which have already been opened and which have provided excellent information about what is going on.

In the CSI:NY forum, Top41 made a great thread about the strike, so I'll copy-and-paste her opening post here for you to read. This post relates specifically to CSI:NY, but the situation will be similar for the other two shows.

There is also a thread in the General TV and Media forum (for discussing shows outside of the CSI franchise) about the strike, as well as an article in the News forum (written before the strike was confirmed) that links to external sources which will contain even more information.

If you have other helpful links or articles to share that will help explain the situation or let us know how things are progressing, feel free to post them. :)

4. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

So that's what happened, lol! That explains an awful lot. I think you may have a point Carolyn. ;)

5. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

Well they are on a strike right now and CSI will also be effected by it if I can believe the newssites. Hopefully we will have more than just the November sweeps! And I hope they can resolve everything fast enough! last strike in hollywood was in 1988 and lasted 5 months!

6. Sidle_fan

Sidle_fan Hit and Run

Probably :rolleyes:

7. Marns

Marns CSI Level Two

I really don't think the strike will affect the shows. All they want is more money. I think. If they want more money, it's not too smart to affect the shows. They'll only lose money.

8. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

both sides aren;t happy with each others propasals and that also means the CSI writers. Carol Mendenshon was also in the front line of the strike so that surely means no epi's out of his pen/typewriter/computer I guess. I hope it won;t effect the shows much and that the whole situation gets resolved quickly but it doesnt look like it right now!

Hopefully we get more than 11 epi's for this year! for all three shows!

9. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

It's obvious that the longer the strike lasts, the higher the chances are that the three shows will feel the effect. Like any show that is one television.

Although, if this was a threat for several months now, like any union, they had or should have followed the proper protocols and procedures to get to a legal strike. What I mean is, the executives, if smart, had time and should have prepared for the worst case scenario, a lengthy strike, and taken the proper actions in getting ideas and possible story lines written up. At least a few rough drafts anyway.

Well, that is my thought anyway. :)

10. SaraSidle_girl

SaraSidle_girl Pathologist

I think they will feel it and looking at the poor story line CSI LV has known so far in season 8, I do not regret it at all! But that's my opinion...

I guess when they run out of fresh episodes they will just give us old ones. They are written anyway ;)

11. ILoveNerdsGreg

ILoveNerdsGreg Hit and Run

Oh I hope they get this settled soon. I have a hard enough time getting through a week where theres a re-run. Let alone if this effects upcomming episodes! And I hope they dont get new writers for now... they'll just ruin everything!!

12. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

There won't be new writers during the strike--there just won't be any episodes written, re-written, etc. Once the scripts that have been finished are used up, production will have to stop on the shows until the strike is over or they come to some sort of agreement. And at this point, it's looking like it'll be a long process--so I'm expecting this to feel a bit like a second hiatus. If it goes on too long, the seasons could be cut short. But there's really no telling how things will work out.

DJRideout, I'm sure that they tried to get as many scripts as possible done before the strike started. But rough drafts wouldn't work because with the WGA on strike, nobody could re-write the scripts or finish them or anything like that.

13. ClarkF1

ClarkF1 Hit and Run

According to Digital Spy:

CSI: 9 episodes of 24 episode order taped. Episode 9 currently scheduled for December 6.
    CSI: Miami: 13 episodes of 24 episode order taped. Episode 10 scheduled for November 26.
    CSI: New York: 14 episodes of 24 episode order taped. Episode 10 scheduled for November 28.

14. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

I just happened to stumble across this earlier tonight and thought to share...perhaps its a little silver lining...who knows

back to bargaining table

15. Charity

Charity Police Officer

Here is something that may be worth checking out. In short it's an effort to force the execs hands by bombarding them with pencils the way they were for Jericho with peanuts

Again, the link to send pencils to media moguls in honor of you favorite show(s) or writer(s) is: http://unitedhollywood.bl.../pencils2mediamoguls.html