Grade 'Commuted Sentences'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 7, 2007.

1. kkennedytx

kkennedytx Rookie

LOL, Faylinn! I got more out of your recap than I did watching the show!

2. Maryse

Maryse Lab Technician

i think the show is getting better every season. I enjoyed this one because i wasnt sure who actually did it for once.

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I also think one of them made a little crack about asking if the museum would mind letting them shoot the column or something similar. :p

They really are! *wants to hug them both*

Win! *really wants to see the team go bowling* :lol:

I took it to be both--she was teasing him about the food while being sexy. The poor man didn't stand a chance. I did like Mac's slightly-annoyed look behind him, though. He was not amused. :p

Hehe. ;)

:devil: ...*snorfle*

4. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Coroner

I'd rate the episode B+/A-

There were some cute moments- I enjoyed Flack and Angell and liked it when Danny called Lindsay a wise ass :lol:. I don't enjoy that last pairing, but they were cute and fun in the episode.

That woman who ended up being the stabber totally annoyed me, so I felt Flack's desire to arrest her ass!! :p

Adam was so cute with his diet (which is so not needed!!)...I did find Kendall more annoying this episode than her first though...

The reveal was a bit confusing at first with this person killing this person because they did this to him, who was...who? and the....Maybe I just had a blond moment. I got it in the end though :D :lol:

ETA: anyone seen "Sympathy For Mrs. Vengence"? Won't spoil it for those who haven't, but I got a similar vibe in the reasoning and stuff.

5. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

I gave episode an A--i couldn't really find many problems with it, save for the loads of flirting (a little bit is good, too much...now we're getting One Tree Hill-ish) and the final solution for the case-i know Mac made the connection between Mitchell's stab wounds being like a matador's attack on a bull he's fighting, but the only connection to the woman they proved to be his murderer (her name escapes me at the moment) is that she went to a restaurant with a matador theme. That seemed like kind of a stretch to me that she would know exactly where to stab him like he was a bull :lol:

But otherwise....loved this episode. Flack and Angell? ;) I'm glad the writers put them together in that scene-i guess Flack's done with his girlfriend from earlier in the season (not that im complaining, but i would like to find out what happened to her, just so we'd have some acknowledgement of her in the past...continuity and all that) :D. Those two are perfect together, and i can't believe i didn't see it before...they do have great chemistry, and IMO there was more between them in that scene then there has been with D/L the whole season, and i hope they continue it =]

As for the D/L thing, I'm not a supporter at all, but there were a few cute moments between them. Anna Belknap was better this episode, and i loved the comment about her using her slingshot not to shoot squirrels but to pelt boys :D There were a few cringy kind of lines, but overall i enjoyed the lightheartedness she had in this ep, and the little bit of tough independent girl. It makes me think that if she had been developed this way from the begining a she started out to be, maybe i would like her alot more.

As for Adam...i like him just the way he is, baby fat or no ;) I thought Kendall's teasing him behind Mac's back was kind of funny, but kind of annoying at the same time...im still not sure what to make of her though, but we shall see...

(and was anyone else rooting for the murderers in this ep?)

6. csiviper

csiviper Witness

Oh My Gosh, I give it an A+ cause it was totally awesome.

First of all, the flirting between Adam and the tech girl was so hot, and Mac didnt even know, HILARIOUS!!1

Det. Angell and Flack, Adorable he looks so cute, and hot.

Im usually not a DL shipper but I got to say that it was incredibly awesome, "That's too low wise-ass" LOVE IT.
    Thank god we didn't get any 333 stuff in there cause we have had enough of it.

7. Surreal_44

Surreal_44 Hit and Run

Some of this is copy and pasted from a post in a livejournal discussion of the episode. :D

I gave the episode a B+. As a rape survivor, I was a bit annoyed with the treatment of Fern, and the complete lack of compassion/understanding/acknowledgment of what she went through. Some of my thoughts here might be repetitive, so I apologize if it seems like I repeat the same things over again. I'm struggling to put into words exactly how I feel.

While the brutal nature of the crime may have played a part in their complete lack of sympathy towards the women, they were in general harsh and unyielding, almost as if they couldn't quite understand where the women were coming from.

I'm not sure if I'm happy that they were so cool towards the women, or if I'm angry that there seemed to be absolutely no understanding on their situation. Especially in the beginning during the interrogation of Fern. I don't think murder is right, but there is little understanding of where the victims were coming from.

Rape is a crime that never really ends. I love how she smiled when she found out he was dead. I totally get where she's coming from, and I loved the exchange of looks between Fern and um...the murderer. I don't think they knew each other previously, but there is something about being a survivor that makes the bond almost universal. It's like a sisterhood, and no one on the CSI team seams to quite understand this.

Mac's speech about conscience was especially aggravating. I know what he was saying, but...eh. I'm not sure how to explain it properly.

What's good about the character reactions is that it's so much like RL it was scary. I got a lot of weird responses when people found out I had been raped, most of them thoughtlessly rude or purposefully cruel. Seeing the characters fall short of perfection is kind of nice, even if I was pissed at them for it. :)

Moving onto less heavy topics:

I really enjoyed the Danny/Lindsay scenes last night. I'm not a big fan of either character but they were adorable in this episode. The slingshot was funny, the teasing was great. I liked watching them last night. Danny and Lindsay work so much better when the writers don't make them emo and whiney.

I wasn't sold on the Angell and Flack flirting scene. Flack was adorably bashful, but Angell, gorgeous as she is, jumped right into the conclusion that Flack really was flirting with her when I'm not really sure he was. Even if he was, it felt weird. I didn't find it totally natural and it felt like they HAD to have them flirt, when I would have preferred to see them talk and have a vague almost-flirtatious interaction. Too much too soon, I think. :)

There's potential there, but I admit I'm disappointed that they'd pair a detective with...a detective. It's a bit old, and I'd like to see someone have a romance outside the lab/precinct. Devon at least opened the door for that possibility, even if she's not marriage material. Personally, I'd like to see her return or at least have her mentioned again.

My favorite part of the episode: Flack got to find evidence! Twice! OMG, he did some actual detecting! I was so proud I nearly teared up. Seriously, for all the time he has on screen, he rarely gets to do more than make snarky remarks, look mystified by the CSIs antics, or report on info he found off-screen. I was thrilled he got to be "smart" and actually FIND the evidence. I know the show is called "CSI", but it doesn't hurt to allow the detective to you know...detect things. :-D

8. i_heart_togo

i_heart_togo Dead on Arrival

i think that this was the best episode this season (so far)
    there was a lot of flirty going on Flack/Angell Adam/Kendell and Danny/Lindsay. So glad that there wasn't any 333 stuff and both cases were really good. I gave it an A.I loved how Lindsay made a sling shot out of all that stuff.I started to laugh when Mac said the stab wounds was like spanish bull fighting.

9. Faylinn

The restaurant they ate at was the one the guy had eaten at with Fern before he raped her, I believe--so she took him back to the 'scene of the crime', essentially, or where it started at least. And I'm guessing that killing him like a bull was symbolic because of the restaurant...

LOL, how could you? I'm pretty sure they've never been in the same scene before. ;)

10. Lorelai

Lorelai CSI Level One

:confused: I'm making the caps, and I see a badge on Kendall... Huh?

11. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

I gave it a B+

oh csi, why why why must you keep butchering science!!! ARGGHH. Mutated DNA from a bacterial infection from food poisoning??? No NO NO! Even if the bacteria could cause a mutation, the ONLY way to alter a DNA fingerprint would be either insertion or deletion of nucleotides at the specific sequences of the STR (short tandom repeats). DNA fingerprints are not analyzing the sequences of the sections of dna used, but just the length of each STR. Even if that would happen the genome of bacteria is so much smaller, so the chance of that DNA being inserted into one of the STR's (out of 13 they use) is next to nothing. Not that it could happen....but i have never heard of food poisoning being able to mutate your dna! especially since mutated DNA usually leads to cancer!!

Also, i hate even though all the characters are scientists, they feel the need to explain simple stuff to each other. Like Hawkes talking about the transmission of the food born bacteria to Mac. That was a very simplified version, if you are a scientist. But i still like Hawks being so nerdy :cool:

The case was pretty good...but wasn't a wow case. They kind of treated the rape victims badly though. I kind of started to suspect the strangers on a train thing before the end.

I liked flack flirting :lol: That was cute...

I wasn't that thrilled with all the romance, but the D/L stuff wasn't too bad. I don't mind them together but i hope they don't keep working together and become isolated from the rest of the group. I liked Lindsay with the slingshot, hehe...

Adam was cute with his diet :lol: I didn't see that kendrell(sp?) as her flirting with him, she was just teasing him with the food, since he was on that diet and starving. It was pretty funny!

12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

A

Good case--it's a rare episode of CSI that really gives me something to think about, and this one did. Surreal_44, I had a problem with the way Flack and Mac in particular were to the women--I get the point that they're just going on the evidence from this case but still, a little more understanding would have been nice, especially from Flack. Mac's got a stick up his ass when it comes to right and wrong, but Flack can be understanding sometimes--well, with Danny I guess. I don't know that I've ever seen him go easy on a suspect, but it would have been nice if this had been the exception. I liked how Danny was gentler--of all of them, he really does see the shades of grey. Stella seemed sympathetic as well, while Lindsay annoyed me with her snot-nosed attitude towards Amber. It was interesting to see the different ways the CSIs reacted to the women.

Honestly, I sympathized with the women, and I would have loved to see Amber get off on a technicality, just as the rapist and the murderer did. Then again, I think rapists deserve to be castrated, so I guess I didn't see what the women were doing as all that "wrong." In the eyes of the law, yes, but in the grand scheme of things? Yes, vigilante justice is "wrong" and undermines society, but I can only imagine the women's rage when these guys got off scot free. And I loved the smile at the end between Amber and Fern.

The flirty stuff in the ep was cute--loved Flack and Angell, and Danny and Lindsay's exchanges were cute here, too. I don't think much of them as a couple, but the light, flirty stuff can be cute and it was in this episode. Adam and Kendall, not so much. Kendall really doesn't fit in--she seems like a rich girl slumming it in the lab while she waits to come into her trust fund. A nerdy counterpart would have been a much better foil for Adam.

As for Angell and Flack, I must agree wholeheartedly with our newest CSI: NY novelist:

Seconded! Flack and Angell have chemisty, something Danny and Lindsay have lacked all along. I loved that scene, and hope it gets taken further.

13. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Things I liked:

-Flack/Angell flirting. Everyone knows that I'm a staunch anti-shipper on the grounds that it should be about the bodies, not the bump 'n' grind, but this was cute. The actors had great chemistry, and it wasn't overly suggestive like the earlier Kendall scene. I don't want to see this every week, but it was nice to see Flack being a cop and not a fencepost with a wiggus to act as a foil for the CSIs' forensic fu.

-I also liked that Flack got to, you know, be a detective and gather evidence. The scene in the back of the squad car was deft and well-done, and as an aside, Angell was totally scoping his ass.

"Not bad for a guy on a city salary." I know what you were talking about, Angell, and it wasn't the demonstration of his fabulous mind.

"That woman pisses me off." Oh, Flack, I feel your pain. But not much. Because I was ogling your badge as you slid out of the driver's seat.

Things I Didn't Like:

-Kendall. She's just...nasty and superfluous. I think the writers were going for cute, but she's obnoxious. Go away. I don't want to see you coyly fellating a brownie that could've been mistaken for a turd by the unobservant.

-Super Lindsay and Idiot Danny. Did she suck out Danny's brain while she was sucking everything else? I clearly remember him being a competent CSI, and yet, he spent most of the museum scene massaging his brain through his nostrils and weighing his nuts. I don't think he served as anything but a backdrop for Super Lindsay and Her Awesome Awesomeness. And thank you, you miserable little queef, for telling us that you're Deadeye Dick with a slingshot. As if you weren't nauseating enough.

For the record, I thought she'd made the slingshot from a rubber and a nipple clamp. I don't know why.

-Poor Flack. It's never open-and-shut for him. Covered in blood with motive out the yong, and she's still not the killer. If he didn't have Mac around to wipe his ass for him, he'd be helpless, unable to do anything but eat paper clips and surf the police intranet for pretty hookers. Maybe he is just a fencepost with a dong, after all.

B

14. Faylinn

I think what happened is that Hawkes explained the food poisoning and that made Mac think of the fact that hair could mutate--not that it mutated because of the food poisoning. It was just a way for them to realize 'hey, maybe the DNA mutated! Eureka!' or whatever. :p I could be wrong, though...

15. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Okay, people have said most of what I wanted to say. However, I gotta agree with whoever laughed about Danny's phone call to all the hospitals in NYC and not getting a single suspicious gunshot wound case. C'mon, this is NEW YORK CITY! How unbelievable is that?! :rolleyes: Geez, that one little thing almost ruined the plot for me.

Hammerback and Hawkes need more scenes together. They seem to have mutual respect and it was great to see Hammerback acknowledge Hawkes' ME background. I think many viewers have probably forgotten about that by now. Hammerback sitting on the autopsy table was cute. :lol:

Everyone looked great. Seriously. I was really drawn to Hawkes and Stella for some reason. :devil:

And of course, there's the shippy stuff:

The Adam/Kendall scene made me laugh. It was Adam who really made the scene though, particularly his facial expression of, "Guuuuuuh ..." Without him, Kendall would have been just ... annoying and over the top. :lol: I think she could have made do with a lighter lipstick; the red seemed too harsh on her to me.

Lindsay in this episode was reminiscent of her in season two. She was much more bearable than usual. I guess I am the odd one out in saying that I didn't sense any flirting at all between her and Danny. Joking with each other like friends, yes, but romantic chemistry? Nada. The mood to me seemed like any other scene where Danny would joke with another main character on the cast, be it man or woman. Now if this was how TPTB had built up the friendship between Danny and Lindsay from the beginning and taken things slow ... I might have liked her a lot more. However, two and a half years is way too long a time to even try to mend the situation now. This scene has a bittersweet tinge to me because of this; a glimpse of what could have been but is beyond repair.

Now if the spoilers for future episodes come to pass and my suspicion that the TPTB are looking to make a new main couple for the show is true ... they should look no further than Flack/Angell. :D I have to agree with those who said their scene was hot. :devil: They played off each other very, very well. You could literally sense something good was developing between them in the car right there and then, and Flack blushing and grinning? That was beyond adorable. :) And that look that passed between them when their suspect got into the car ... c'mon, TPTB, you got something great here. Don't make the same mistake and throw away another awesome potential!