Survivor? We Call It Camping ~ Canadian Thread #5

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Dragonfly, Sep 27, 2007.

1. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

Re: Canadian Thread #5

LOL I know. They've got one in the mall right across the street from my school, and one around the other side of the mall :lol: They've even got them in Afghanistan for the soliders! (And you know what I heard? Apparently there's a Starbucks there too for the Americans, but they're coming over to our side because they want Tim's! :lol: :lol:)

2. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

lol, on my campus there is like 3 tim hortons. On my drive to school, there are two right across the street from each other, so you can access one going both ways.

I don't drink coffee, but i am addicted to their english breakfest tea. It is so good. Also, second cup has this fancy vanilla tea late...it was really good, i don't usually get the fancy drinks either. But it was $4, holy crap. That is why i stick to timmies...

I also love the bagels and sandwiches..i swear they put crack in everything, that is why it's so addicting.

3. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I do get a kick at how close some of these coffee establishments are. Down the street from our store there are a Starbucks, Tim Horton's and a Second Cup all within 2 blocks of each other. And there are all busy. It's sort of like McD's and Burger King being within blocks of each other. As long as the money is out there they will still be co-existing.

4. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

:rolleyes: It seems like I haven't posted on Talk in ages. Just thought I'd swing by to say hello to all the fellow Canadians :D Even though I live in the States right now, I hold the 3 years I spent in Edmonton with my parents and grandparents close to my heart. Even though the only memories I actually remember is learning to ice skate :)

5. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

You know what kindda surprised me? A couple days ago I went to Timmies with a couple of friends and we were sitting there for almost 3 hours and they could care less. I love the people at Timmies. In Toronto you can't really turn anywhere and not see a Timmies or a Starbucks.

6. Jacquie

You got lucky with being able to sit there for 3 hours. There was a big up roar back in September or October about a Timmies in the Toronto area that wouldn't allow the students to sit in the restaurant at lunch. The whole issue got sorted out but talk about annoying future loyal customers. Before my husband and I started to run our own business I used to work at a McDonalds. Sure those kids at lunch were loud and they'd make a mess but never once where they told to leave.

7. Jacquie

Congrats go out to Prime Minister Stephen Harper for welcoming the Dalai Lama to his offices on Parliament Hill on Monday. It's nice to see Harper not giving in to China. Paul Martin was the first PM to actually welcome the Dalai Lama but he did it off Parliament Hill.

8. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

My friend lived in Canada for 2 years.

9. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

Cool, what part of Canada?

Jacquie, yeah, I saw him on the news last night. The Dalai Lama, that is. Unfortunately I don't know that much about him (I mean, I know he's a spiritual figure for Buddhists and stuff) or why he's here, so I can't really comment beyond that. :eek:

10. Jacquie

LibertyBell the bits and pieces with regards to the Dalai Lama get complicated. The best I see it is the Dalai Lama is the spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhists. The people from Tibet want their own country but the it is part of China and the Chinese won't let them have there own country. It sort of like Taiwan. If you recognize Taiwan as a separate country the Chinese don't like it either. I was proud of Harper for standing up and telling the Chinese that what happens in Canada is none of their business. He may not have said it out loud but I think but greeting the Dalai Lama on Parliament Hill it said plenty.

11. sidlewannabee

I can't emember exactly where but I know it was the Western side of Canada.

12. Abilene

Abilene Hit and Run

British Columbia maybe? ;)

Hey, I love Timmies too! :) The best hot chocolate ever... :D

13. sidlewannabee

It probably is British Columbia. I will have to see if I can ask him.

14. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

Yeah I heard about that. But I don't think the three of us were anywhere near as loud and disruptive as dozens of swearing high schoolers at lunch :p like it was in their case.

15. Jacquie

Well it looks like Old Man Winter maybe rearing it's ugliness tonight. Environment Canada has issued a snow squall warning for the traditional ski belt area of the north part of Southern Ontario. In other words the Barrie area. Better them than us in the Toronto area. Mind you with the Toronto Santa Claus parade being this Sunday you have to expect some lousy weather either that or it is unusually mild.