Grade 'Boo'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 31, 2007.

1. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

I give this episode a B.

Although I love Halloween and ghost stories, I understand that the show being what it is couldn't go all out with the scare and creep out factor. So I wasn't surprised with how things went in that department.

I completely agree...By the way, where the heck was Flack?!? He had so little screen time, you'd barely notice he was even there...I can't believe TPTB didn't take advantage of the opportunity to show off smart-mouth Flack getting scared sh*tless. That would have been priceless. :lol: :lol:

Sid was so entertaining in this episode...loved his line: '...Which medically makes him a zombie.'...That one had me cracking up. Bless his heart. :lol:

I'm just waiting for the day that the 333 story line plays itself out...I'm getting impatient with it...Ah, Mac so agitated, paranoid and suspicious that he thinks Voodoo girl is connected to his 333 stalker.

2. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

I enjoyed it. A crime drama's H'ween episode is always going to stretch the storylines to fit the show's H'ween theme, so I expected what I got: an hour of spookyish, OTT stuff that for the most part, the writers actually managed to fit into some semblance of cases that made sense by the end. I felt the same way watching both the Miami & NCIS H'ween eps; all enjoyable, but not as tight as a "regular" ep. It entertained me, and that's what I ask for.

Loved the opening graveyard scene with the legendary (to me) Bruce Dern playing the grizzled old Gravedigger, telling spooky tales to his young "Newbie" apprentice.

I simultaneously cringed and laughed out loud over the writers' obviously (IMO) purposeful inclusion of all the usual OTT Halloween/spook movie cliches through the years: the arm suddenly clawing out of the graveyard ground all Carrie-ish, grabbing someone's ankle; the Voo Doo priestesses: the usual fare of blind, old, scarred & scary woman all cryptic at the front desk, and the hotter younger priestess babe behind the curtain (how many voodoo themed movies have we seen that scenario in, right down to the bad accents? I immediately felt it was a tongue-in-cheek inclusion for giggles by the writers, not an accidental gaffe of a scene gone horribly bad); the creepy house complete with the wild-haired old woman coming out of nowhere and warning them off, and of course the zombies.

Loved Sid and his Halloween ambience: "Celebrate the Dead...for without Death, we cannot appreciate Life". Well spoken, Sid. And of course you know our favorite slightly creepy coroner was digging it when he discovered the victim appeared to have died before he was actually killed, making him, essentially, a real zombie :lol:

Loved the shoutout to the fact that forensics and science still help the CSIs solve their cases, with a fun experiment scene with both Mac and Hawkes. Loved seeing Adam again, albeit too briefly.

The house case was okay, Danny was meh, but I enjoyed Lindsay quite a bit, something I'm doing more and more this season. I found her constant angst and neediness last season overpoweringly unappealing (to put it politely) but I think the writers have her back on track this season.

Loved the tie-in between young Rose's drawing of her "Devil Monster" that she claimed to have seen kill her family. Danny might have rolled his eyes, but we find out that Rose's eyes didn't deceive her, when me finally meet the killer, complete with Devil Tattoo across his back.

I actually found that story of the original murder quite compelling: Crazy Dad shoots himself, traumatized young son who idolizes dad plays with his gun and accidentally shoots his young sister; mom hides the body, thus protecting her son, who she was "...wasn't quite right in the head" after that. Son returns 30 years later to squirrel away the hidden child's corpse before the new family could find it, and ends up killing them to protect his mother...something she did for him the past 30 years. Definitely a tragic set of circumstances that came full circle.

All in all, not bad. Like I said, I never approach H'ween themed crime show eps like they're going to be the best of the show's offerings for the season, but more as an hour's worth of spookyish, fluff entertainment. And I was entertained. :D

3. audrina

audrina Police Officer

First of all, I have to agree with Top 41 (in her review) when she said that Robert Picardo was wasted. He was incredible both in China Beach and Star Trek Voyager, and they wasted him here. Any guy from central casting for "average local sheriff" could have carried this role off. And Bruce Dern (the old guy in the cemetery). They could have at least stretched his role into him relaying his story to the cops. What a waste of talent.

I liked the atmosphere of this epp, enjoyed the whole flash zombie thing. I also liked Sid being his creepy self - plus I couldn't help but chuckle about the zombie connection, as Robert Joy was in Land of the Dead.

I liked the Danny/Lindsay interaction because for me it showed that despite a relationship, they're still professionals at work and not sneaking kisses or exchanging goo-goo eyes. They're CSIs at murder scenes, and I think they should leave the other stuff to their off time.

One thing that bugged me is Lindsay pursuing the old lady into the passage -- shouldn't she have made sure someone was with her? Otherwise, I thought she was fine, and liked her annoyance when Picardo's character didn't believe her.

I absolutely couldn't stand the whole psychic shop thing. As others have said, Mac grabbing the witness was not in character and quite over-reactive. I have been intrigued by the 333 thing, but now I'm getting bored.

4. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

A

I really enjoyed watching this ep. Beforehand I was a little worried that it all would turn out a bit too cliché for my liking, but it didn't and they've found and excellent way to combine all those 'horror' themes in to one ep.

I liked the Amityville case the most. It was fun to see Danny and Lindsay work a case together again; too bad that there still has not been any solid proof (except perhaps the condom spray) that they're still together.

And although I agree with Audrina that it was perhaps a little impulsive to run after the woman without calling for back up, but it was something that I think was pretty in character for Lindsay. Where did that woman go btw; she didn't pass Danny on her way out and didn't they say that it was just a room with no other exits?

And I really liked the scene in the hospital with the little girl. It showed perfectly that Lindsay is still a little uncomfortable around young victims, but at least she doesn't chicken out anymore.

I did like the zombie case, but I thought the whole voodoo angle was unnecessary and was only put in to benefit the 333 arc. I wish they had kept it at Flack and Mac's little talk about the calls having ended and invested the extra time in (like others have said) developing Robert Picardo's character...he would've been awesome as some slightly paranoid and a little mysterious sherrif snooping around the crime scene.

5. Lessien_Tinuviel

Lessien_Tinuviel Police Officer

I gave it an A. :)

First off, my favorite line of the eppy is from Danny: "You can't Lo-Jack a dog, though, can you?" :lol: I find it funny, for some reason.

The episode was pretty good, had a couple of spooky moments, but nothing too OTT. I thought both cases had pretty good twists. The opening scene was great, the old gravedigger telling spooky stories only to be spooked himself when the guy grabbed his leg, he screamed like there was no tomorrow, LOL.

Loved the scenes of Danny getting little Rose out of the wall, and when he was talking to her in the hospital. Lindsay was a little meh, as usual. Sorry, Lindsay fans.

Oh, Sid, you are so cool, dressing up the morgue for Halloween. And he seemed pretty excited when he told Stella and Mac that the victim had died before being killed. :lol: I also loved the look on Adam's face when Mac was explaining how the jute (sp?) got under the guy's fingernails, he seemed pretty spooked, hehe.

Mac definitely over-reacted at the voodoo store. The lady with the 333-666 eyelids looked like the Calypso character in POTC: At World's End. :lol: He mentioned the 333 caller hadn't called for a week, I wonder what's up with that. Maybe it's like what he said, the 333 stalker is getting ready to move to the next level. Yikes, that's not good.

Where was Flack, man? I was expecting to have some great snarky lines about Halloween and whatnot. Hmph. He was hardly there this week. Me am disappointed. :( His hair's been really short lately, anyone noticed that? But I kinda like it, it's a good look on him. :D
    :lol: I'd gladly have my life shortened to see that!!!

I liked the ending with Mac saying their survival depended on the dosage they'd been given, it was good. Pretty chilling to see them lying there, not quite alive yet not quite dead. What was Mac's line? "For now, they're caught between the living and the dead"?

Overall, I think they managed to pull off the Halloween theme this week. :)

6. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

Just watched it, and in daylight tho it wasn't that scary.

But i was really impressed, it wasn't soo halloweeny that it was over the top but it was enough to make you think twice specially when Sid was saying he was a zombie you want to say no never but think well actually.

Mac freaking out was nice to see that its effecting him like a normal person something i could never see Hoartio doing in Miami but with Mac it kinda works.

The Amityville case i really liked from all the hype i was expecting more DL but it didnt happen. I'm a half fan of it but as someone said they are at work so having a cuddle or affectionate touch wouldnt be appropriate, and when she saw the woman, if i was here i would be freaked and annoyed no-one believed her. Danny wanted to believe her but he knew noone was there and kinda explains why he was edgy because he couldnt say there was someone if he didn't see them.

Though i did notice Dannys hand go to here when they found the body in the case slightly off shot.

The lack of Flack was the only downside because it is his perfect playground for sarcasm. But we got Sid who made me laugh when i saw all the candles.

I'd give it an A as it was wierd and wonderful in that sense that Halloween is a time to have fun go a bit wild with the stories.

7. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I actually enjoyed this ep, I loved sid's little part :)

I adored Adam/Mac/Stellas little scene in the lab when adam was getting scared about the possibility of zombies! I felt so sorry for Mac when he freaked in the shop but i'm glad to see its affecting him- if that makes sense! Oh I just got to say that that woman's eyes in the shop were creepy and she reminded me of that woman off Pirates of the Carribian :lol:! There was definatly not enough Flack!

I am so happy to see Lindsay out of the lab again! Danny and lindsays convos with sid and hawkes on those gadget things- not sure what they are but I like them :D I loved Danny carrying that little girl outside! One last thing I did not miss Danny putting his arm on Lindsay's shoulder at the end either :D

8. i_heart_togo

i_heart_togo Dead on Arrival

i give it an A. It was a great Halloween episode. the Mac/Stella scene in the shop was good. I'm glad that Mac was a little freaked out about the calls cause so far it only seems that Stella and Flack was worried about it. It was good to see Lindsay out in the field for a change, and i loved how Sid got into the Halloween spirit and went crazy when he decked out the morague.

9. csiviper

csiviper Witness

I give it an A.

I missed Halloween because of this episode (not that it really matter, had too much candy in my house). I liked it, especially the thing with the Voodoo girl who MAC assalted.

Mac, Baby, You should know not to let superstisions get to you, but don't worry Stella can totally save you.

The Amityville case was dumb, I liked the Zombie one better.
    I can't say that for all of us cause im biased. I LOVE MAC/STELLA SCENES. WOOOOOO.

10. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I give Boo a B+. :)

It was much better than I was expecting, and I have to say I did like the opening part before the credits. I was totally getting a CSI ‘Gum Drops’ feeling about it all, what with the eerie music, atmosphere and being out of town….It didn’t quite match up in terms of quality IMO, but it was still enjoyable.

With the Amityville case, I found the D/L interaction to be a bit weird to be honest. Danny did not come across as caring in the slightest with Lindsay, and at one point she was talking away and he was completely ignoring her and looking at gun shot residue. I just didn’t get it… Lindsay was OK overall (apart from the scene at the end with the old woman, I’m not sure what was going on there), but the case did lack something. I think they maybe didn’t concentrate on either case for long enough to do them justice as both seemed to be lacking. But the Amityville one played out better IMO than the zombie one. The only thing that really annoyed me about the case was the use of random and slightly silly props. I liked the step plates that they walked on at the crime scene, but why haven’t they ever used them before? And what was with those huge video phone things? What, they have one each for when they need to speak to Hawkes and Sid at the same time? And of course they found the guy by tracking some dogs that he had with him? :lol: :lol: CSI: NY is so random.

Adam, as always, was adorable. He has such an expressive face and is a joy to watch. :)

Mac was a little bit annoying in this episode, but I think that is was down to the fact that I’m tired of the 333 storyline. For it to be mentioned not once, but twice, was just irritating. And he always starts the story in the same way, frankly I think we can all remember by now that he’s been getting phone calls for the last two months. *yawn* Mac needs to chill out.

Not enough Flack or Hawkes for my liking in this one, I’m beginning to wonder why I rated it so highly?

11. LivingEnd

LivingEnd Lab Technician

I’ll give Boo a B-. Actually I thought it was a little bit boring. It wasn’t bad but neither of the cases really grabbed my attention and I didn’t find it creepy at all.
    I really don’t care much about the 333 storyline anymore. I don’t feel as if it needs to be mentioned in every episode and the way Mac acted in the Voodoo shop felt somehow strange.
    I’ll say that Anna Belknap wasn’t as bad as I had expected her to be in this episode. But she wasn’t good either. Someone called her acting wooden and I think that describes it very well.
    I agree that a Halloween episode called for some great Flack moments… TPTB missed a great opportunity there.
    I as always really enjoyed Adam and Sid. These two are just always fun to watch. :)

12. Islandgirl

Islandgirl Police Officer

It was okay. I enjoyed the increased Danny/Lindsey interaction, but otherwise thought this ep was a bit flat.

13. DuCaineluvr93

DuCaineluvr93 Witness

Re: Grade 'Boo' *DELETED*

Post deleted by DuCaineluvr93

14. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I didnt get that myself :lol:

15. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Like audrina, I did like the scene where Lindsay got annoyed with the sheriff. Anna's delivery was actually convincing there! But I still think Danny should have explored the house--it would have given him something to do other than stand around and look irritated. :lol:

And Flack, master of the one-liner, was woefully underused in this ep. The things he could have come up with about zombies!!! :D