Supernatural

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by draig_goch, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

This episode was actually pretty so-so for me. :eek:

I thought the entire plot concept was lacking, which is what bothered me. It just didn't seem 'Supernatural' enough for me.

However, I enjoyed the banter between the demon girl and Dean. It's interesting to finally see Dean wondering what it's like to go to hell and what he'll expect. I could definitely see his bravery/pride falter in those moments. Seems he's facing the reality of his actions re the deal. It isn't a matter of self-sacrifice anymore, it's a destruction of his life and eternal damnation of his soul. Probably not something every person wants to experience, even if it means saving a loved one's life. ;)

As for Sam--I almost smashed the TV when he shot the demon girl! :eek: I know, I know, she's a demon so she has to die but...Why did it have to be that demon? I liked her. *pouts* Grawrl.

I'm not really a fan of Evil!Sam. I much prefer Puppy!Sam. :D Jared is doing wonders for the comedic side of the show thus far. As much as the Evil!Sam plotline is interesting, it's not progressing fast enough for me. :lol: I want to see him really go dark side and fast. I get the feeling I'll have to wait an entire season to see him break down into the evilness he is supposed to uphold--yet knowing Sam, he'll do as much as possible not to travel down that path.

Agreed with some on the Ruby angle. I have a feeling she's just helping Sam to get in his good graces. It was neat to find out he's supposed to be the 'leader' of all the demons out there. I wonder when someone will tell him that. :lol: He could do a lot if he just tried, heh. Maybe he can give all of his authority to Dean and right-out screw Ruby over. :eek: I'm sorry but after seeing 'Devour' and learning Jake (A.K.A. Jensen) is the Prince of Darkness, I'm inclined to believe it for Supernatural too. LOL! Okay that's me being weird and an uber Dean fangirl. I'm just jelous.

By the way, what's with all the demons wanting to get some action from the Dean-meister? All he can manage to nab are hookers and demons? Come on. The guy has er...Assets not only reserved for the skanky and/or unholy. Let him have a nice girl before he kicks it.

So anyway, Dean!fangirlyness aside, it was a so-so episode. Just not creepy enough and the plot was a tad slow. However, the uncovered information re the 'war' was very interesting. :)

2. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Yeah, I can see how some people might have found it a bit slower after the first episodes, but I'm not really surprised at the style. Kripke seems to be sort of an "all or nothing" type, and I think he wasnted to get out a little exposition before we carry on into season 3. Give us just enough info to keep us on the edge of our seats waiting for how the rest of the season will unfold.

Either way, I really enjoyed the intricasies of the plot... and the whole episode, actually. :)

On a side note, did anyone notice the little bit with Dean and the quarter operated bed? It's hilarious how much he loves those things! :lol:

Edited to add: And oh yeah, that little comment from Ruby at the end to Sam: "I'll be your little fallen angel on your shoulder." It's at times like these when I wish the Winchester boys would tell each other everything that's happened with them, then maybe they could start putting 2 and 2 together! :lol: Then again, I guess if they knew everything right away, we wouldn't get a whole season of stories out of them!

One other thing I was wondering- why does it seem so cold to Dean when Sam shoots those two demons? I mean, Sam was shooting creatures he thought were putting his brother in danger. He couldn't have known that Dean and the female had sort of bonded. I think Dean just let himself feel too much for the demon, and this made it seem colder to him. I know, I know... they have to keep the doubt about Sam going, but I wasn't feeling it then. I just felt like Dean was being overly sensitive. Heh heh, picture that- an overly sensitive Dean! It even sounds funny! :lol:

3. quickbeam_cw

quickbeam_cw CSI Level One

:lol: I did notice the quarter in the bed! Oh Dean. Actually, I had to rewind that scene to see what was being said because throughout the first part I was freaking out, going "What the hell... is there only one bed in that motel room? With a freaking MIRROR on the ceiling? They wouldn't do that, would they? WOULD THEY?" Then the first time you could finally see the second bed, Dean was dropping a quarter into the slot. I was both relieved and *facepalm*-ing. :lol:

Aaahahah... "overly sensitive Dean" -that's gotta be an oxymoron or something. Defies the laws of nature. I do agree, though - Sam's actions weren't really that out of line (I thought I even saw a flash of puppy dog after he shot the second one). I blame it on the fact that Dean's had a seed of doubt planted in him, and is now overanalyzing Sam's behaviour.

4. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

Haha hasn't it already taken over the world? Honestly, I've become addicted within one week! :eek: I've watched the first 7 epis by now and tonight I'll watch 1x08. I'm too impatient to wait a whole week for every episode - not to mention that I'm not a fan of synchronizations.
    Oh and may I remark that, with Dean, Greggo and Tony (Ncis) have got a real competition? :D

5. fo_poozle

fo_poozle CSI Level Two

i loved how they added that little hint about the bed, its great. but yeah i think dean is just over analyzing what sammy did, because he was not too long ago when dean used the gun to kill a 'demon' that was beating the hell out of sammy. also i think it had a little to do with dean always being the hot head and doing things on a whim like that and maybe he wasn't expecting sammy to do the same so in a way he was a bit shocked and dazed by it.

6. Clarrisani

Clarrisani CSI Level One

They just aired "Bad Day at Black Rock" here, and I must say that I love the episode. So many great moments. Although, I just say, "I lost my shoe" was one of the highlights. Jared and Jenson were brilliant.

Did anyone else cringe when that guy slipped on the bottle?

7. Rellaaaa

Rellaaaa Lab Technician

I loved the new episode :)

But I don't understand how the priest could have been possesed. :confused: I thought a priest couldn't be possesed at all cause of a priest being holy and all? :confused:

Thank you :)

8. Serenity

Serenity Coroner

Demons aren't supposed to be able to enter churches, but we saw Meg enter a church when they killed pastor Jim, so obviously the rules can be bent.

But I'm wondering in this instance if, as the town had 'gone to hell' of its own volition, the church was no longer classed as 'consecrated' and was just reduced to a mere building. That way the demon could get in and take over the priest. I don't think just 'being' a priest is enough to stop you being possessed.

Anyone else have any thoughts about this?

9. BabaOReilly

Well, as far as this show goes, I never saw anything that said they couldn't enter churches. Bad spirits can't, as far as their storylines go, but they never said anything about churches. I do recall them saying it's easier for demons to enter people who are emotionally weaker, or who are distressed, so maybe the priest was not a strong character or something. And the town didn't go to hell until after the demons started the ball rolling, so unless the demon in the priest started off on someone else first, the town and the priest should have been normal when they arrived.

Man, I don't know if that made any sense! :lol:

10. Serenity

Serenity Coroner

It sounds like hot bartender demon (wow, she was smokin') was one of the instigators of the downturn in the town, but I get what you're thinking and I was thinking the same, there's nothing to say her demon partner, (who was now possessing the priest) had ALWAYS possessed the priest since leaving hell, he may have possessed someone else first, maybe even the hot bartender's emo boyfriend (who we saw a photo of in her house) then the priest (as himself) would be bound to be emotionally troubled by the change in the town, making him more vulnerable. Then the demon moved on to the priest later, to gain a stronger position over people.

That's what I love about this show, it makes you think so much!

11. BabaOReilly

I think that's the bonus when it comes to Sci Fi/Fantasy: you always have to think outside the box. There are usually rules, but they can apply so differently than normal concepts of rules.

The fake world is just so much more interesting to me sometimes. That's probably why I can't watch reality programming, for the most part!

And it really helps when someone really has a "special touch" when it comes to this stuff, like Eric Kripke and his writing staff. They're fantastic. :)

12. Serenity

Serenity Coroner

I agree, Kripke is my God! I still maintain that he's the b*st*rd love child of Joss Whedon and Chris Carter!

13. quickbeam_cw

quickbeam_cw CSI Level One

I think the whole demons-entering-churches thing all depends on the demon, and their rank and ability. When Meg went into the church to kill Pastor Jim he was like "WTF? How'd you get in here? Demons can't enter churches," and she was all like "Oh, but I'm special. I got skillz." Sort of like how the YED was immune to holy water. Some demons are too weak/low-level to enter churches. Some aren't.

The Winchester Guide to Demonology. This was written a while ago, and so there's been new information since then, but it's still fairly relevant. Man do I ever love the dedication of SPN fans. :lol: Also, I had forgotten about this... but people had been theorizing about the YED being Azazel for months Hehe! :D

14. BabaOReilly

Wow, how did they decide upon Azazel, of all the demons they could have chosen? Crazy! :eek:

Edited to add:

So we've only had a few episodes with her, but what's the general feeling on Ruby? Likey? No likey? Personally I don't mind her, but again- I think this is because she's sort of non-threatening from a relationship/pairing up angle (at least I hope so! :eek: ), so I'm willing to just take her as she is, and not sit around waiting for her to be "getting it on" with one of the brothers. :lol:

Also, saw the clip on the CW site for the new episode. Looks trippy- I'm intrigued!

15. Rellaaaa

Rellaaaa Lab Technician

I'm not quite sure about Ruby yet and I think I need a little bit time to make sure. But with her being a demon and all makes it all harder as she has helped the boys. I'm not sure if she should be trusted or not.

So, I'm definitely not sure bout liking or not liking her right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.