Hill Harper

CSI Files

Captain
<font color=yellow>Hill Harper</font> is a man who knows how to keep busy. In addition to his work on CSI: New York as the innovative, intelligent Dr. Sheldon Hawkes, Harper is the author of a motivational book, Letters to a Young Brother and regularly accepts speaking engagements around the country. While hard at work on CSI: New York's fourth season, Harper took some time out of his busy schedule to talk with CSI Files' <font color=yellow>Kristine Huntley</font> about his character's recent brush with danger, his thoughts on the significant episodes for Hawkes from last season and his new endeavors outside the hit show.

CSI Files: How's the new season going?

Hill Harper: The season is going really well. It's just building off last year's momentum. I think everybody agrees that last year was a great year and particularly we had a fantastic season finale episode ("Snow Day"). I think we've been building and building off of that. The writers are in great form, clearly they have great chemistry--<font color=yellow>Pam Veasey</font>, <font color=yellow>Peter Lenkov</font>, <font color=yellow>Anthony Zuiker</font>--everyone is really amazing. It couldn't be better. And I think that same chemistry mimics itself in the acting. All of us are real comfortable with each other, we enjoy each other's company, it's a great set, a great environment, and the crew is great. So I think what you end up seeing on camera is really a reflection of what's going on behind the scenes. On show sets with a lot of turmoil and drama, you see the lack of chemistry on screen. But in the case of our show, there's very little turmoil or drama amongst anyone, and I think the end result is what you see week in and week out on our show.

One thing I'm really proud of is [something] you see all the time in print, that folks are always comparing different procedural shows and CSIs, and one thing I'm really proud about our show is, almost 100% of the time when folks talk about our show versus the other CSIs, they always say it's the best acted of all of them.

CSI Files: It was most recently brought up in US Weekly (October 22nd, 2007). That's definitely a huge compliment.

Harper: We've known that all along. Not to compare ourselves to anyone, but I know that we have great actors on our show, and that we have great chemistry.

CSI Files: This Wednesday's episode "Down the Rabbit Hole" got a lot of press. What's Hawkes' take on Second Life?

Harper: One thing I'm proud about CSI: New York is that we always introduce cutting edge things and people and ideas, and sort of suggesting where the future is going. And that's where it's going, whether folks like it or not, the future is going into Second Life. Twenty or thirty years from now, I think folks will look back and think, 'What was life like before you had your second life, and your third life and your fourth life?' and all these different things. Because that's where entertainment is going--we're becoming a more high tech/lower tech society. Through the technology, creative people are trying to find ways to make it more tactile in a way, and it may sound strange to say that, but I'm proud that we're one of the first shows to introduce that.

CSI Files: Will Hawkes ever get to play in Second Life?

Harper: No, no, no. I think they probably thought that as brilliant as Hawkes' mind is, if he got into Second Life, he may never come back!

CSI Files: Hawkes had a little trouble at the beginning of the season when he went diving in "The Deep". What was it like to film that?

<HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45%" COLOR="#007BB5">

To read the full interviews, please click here.<center></center>

Great interview Kristine. :D Hill Harper is a really intelligent and interesting man.

He also seems really honest, I wonder how Eddie and Carmine will feel about him being more athletic than them? :lol: (I'd quite like to watch the boys challenging each other to prove it though :devil:)...

And he really does know his character, and believe in Hawkes. I know many of us would like to see more Hawkes screentime, whatever great storylines he's had in the past we always want more. And so does he. I hope the writers can manage to get him in there more this season. :) He deserves it, and it's true, NY is better when he's there. :lol:

That was a fantastic interview. It's always great to get inside an actor's head.

It was interesting clarification on the relationship between Hawkes and Flack in particular. I got the impression during Sleight Out of Hand that it might not have been the coziest and might be a little antagonistic. But then the time travel episode made it seem like a bantering relationship instead. That could speak to the way that both actors are able to make the characters' relationship change and grow without being obvious about it.

I cannot wait until June when his new book comes out. I promise not to be hung over when his book tour hits my neck of the woods this time. :lol: And considering the great, grounded, practical advice that he was able to offer young men in his first book, I am really looking forward to his advice to young women.

The most interesting part of the interview (I have to come up with another descriptor other than "interesting") is his work with Obama. I completely agree with him: regardless of political affiliation, it is so important that people register to vote and then go do it. I was *so* annoyed at that celebrity "Vote or Die" campaign from 2004 where a big percentage of the participants never made it to the polls. :rolleyes: Hill is very motivational on that score: don't just talk about doing it, go do it!! [/soapbox]

Anyway, great range of questions, Kristine! Loved this interview.

I'll definitely be picking up Letters to a Young Sister--Hill is great, and it's wonderful to see him so excited about working to make an impact on the youth. :D

I loved reading about his thoughts on Hawkes--like Elsie said, we can't get enough of him and it's fantastic that he can't either. ;)

I wish I could see Eddie and Carmine's faces when they find out that Hill claimed to be able to beat them. Maybe we should organize a little CSI Files sports competition to see whether Hill can deliver on his 2-out-of-3 claims. :p

Wonderful interview as always, Kristine. And smooches to Hill for taking the time to answer questions. :D

Just wanted to pop in and say GREAT INTERVIEW! It covered so many topics. Hill Harper seems to be such an intelligent, impressive man, and you really showcased that w/ your questions. Wonderful job.

Uh oh. First, he claimed to have better abs than Carmine (our vote was biased, damn it - Hill DOES have better abs!). Now he claims to be a better athlete than both Eddie and Carmine. :eek: :eek: I'd challenge that proposition to a vote, if only we had some way to quantify it.

Fantastic interview though. I look forward to reading his book for young women.

:) Wow, that was a great interview...lots of ballons and kudos to Kristine Huntley!!! It was as if I was there feelin' his air of excitement! Athletically speakin', lookin' forward to seein' more of Dr. Hawkes/Hill Harper on future episodes as well as reading and gifting his upcomin' book to my family and friends!!! Thanks again! ;)

I'm glad the other book is coming out...I'll definately take a look at it. The first one is at the library I work at and I often wind up flipping to the CSI NY pics for a quick glance when it comes back and I'm shelving it lol

Great, great interview. It's refreshing to read more about what happens behind the scenes (the characters and camaraderie). Kudos Kristine for not asking about his personal life!

I'm excited about the next book. It will be beneficial for the girls in my program. :D

That was a fantastic interview! Hill really is an interesting man. Would like to see those sport challenges to find out if Hill's right by saying that he'll beat Carmine and Eddie in 2 out of 3.

Great questions Kristine - and some good answers. It's so nice to hear a bit of the backstage part of a series and about the relationship between the actors.And also how an actor feels or what he thinks about a special episode or about the interaction between the characters.

And I guess we definately don't have anything against seeing more of Hawkes in the future episodes, so it's our wish as well as Hill's wish - ok writers, let our wishes become true!

Thanks, guys! I'm glad you liked the interview. :) Hill is such an intelligent man, so it's always a treat to talk to him. I'm looking forward to his new book as well!

Springmoon, I liked hearing him clarify the Hawkes/Flack bantering as well. There did seem to be a little edge in "Sleight Out of Hand" but it's nice to know that they do respect each other.

And I want to see a NY boys sports showdown, too. :devil: :devil: :devil:

Back