CSI: New York--'Time's Up'

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Oct 18, 2007.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

Synopsis:

A naked, bloody man rushes to the police station and relays a shocking message: at 9:45am the next morning, he's going to kill a man named Kevin Murray. The man dies, and Flack rushes to Kevin's apartment to find the Chelsea University physics student very much alive. Kevin is nervous about the prediction, but denies knowing the dead man. Dr. Hammerback makes some unusual discoveries in the man's body: a needle in his brain, that Hammerback postulates has been there since he was an infant, and a GPS chip in his hand. Adam uses traces the signal being emitted by the chip, leading the CSIs to the dead man's apartment, where they discover a large time machine. Dr. Hawkes recognizes pictures of the dead man and identifies him as Dr. Martin Browning, a famous physicist. Hawkes goes to Chelsea University to speak with the dean, who admits to getting into an altercation with Browning's assistant when he went to try to see if he could help Browning, whom he feared was losing his grip on reality.

At 9:45am the next day, a body falls to the ground during the Columbus Day Parade. It's Kevin Murray, dead just as Browning predicted. Lindsay shows Mac a hopscotch grid near Browning's apartment that wasn't a hopscotch grid at all, but rather a game theory table. Mac puts together partial prints found on various items found around Browning's apartment as well as a glass shard Mac determined to be the murder weapon and comes up with a match to one Leo Tyler. Leo, in debt to several bookies, answered an ad to become Browning's assistant alongside Kevin. When Browning accurately predicted the outcome of several races for Leo, Leo believed in his time travel theories--and pushed him to take more trips. When Browning refused, Leo attacked him, and Browning fled to the police station. With Browning gone, Leo tried to force Kevin to travel in time, but when he got Kevin into the machine it malfunctioned, killing Kevin.

Stella and Danny investigate the death of Robin Graham, a sorority girl who literally orgasmed to death in a diner. Stella discovers someone switched out the medicine in her inhaler with a substance called PT604, which she learns is an experimental drug used as a sexual enhancer being tested on college campuses. Danny finds scrapings that he identifies as coming from a 4 million-year-old Mastodon, leading him to fraternity boy Brett Vandeman, who was the lucky winner of a drawing at a frat party to sleep with Robin Graham. He says Robin chickened out and he chased her to the diner, but left when she started to orgasm in public. Stella and Angell interrogate the students taking the trial drug, and their suspicions finally land on one: snotty sorority girl Kelsey. Kelsey wanted to help Robin lose her virginity, so she switched out her medicine with the sexual enhancement drug. When Robin went to take a dose of her medicine and didn't notice any relief, she kept medicating--eventually leading her to consume a fatal dose. Stella and Danny arrest the unrepentant sorority girl. While Stella considers the possibility of dating Drew Bedford, who continues to pursue her, Mac receives a letter from Peyton ending their relationship.

Analysis:

The premise is truly intriguing. A dying man confessing to a murder that wouldn't be committed for another 23 or so hours? But like any complex premise, it's risky, and indeed, the questions it spawns are never really addressed with satisfactory answers. Why did Martin claim he killed Kevin in the future? How did he know that Kevin would die at 9:45am? How did those blood drops get re-hydrated? So many questions, so few answers.

<HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45\%" COLOR="#007BB5">

To read the full reviews, please click here.<center></center>

2. lovingtaylor

lovingtaylor Victim

I am starting to wonder why you watch the show. While I certainly reply respectfully here, this is the second straight review where you have (IMO) over analyzed a crime fiction TV show. Just relax and enjoy it. If you are looking for "reality" in these shows you are rarely going to find it.

Mac is glib with Stella? What did you want him to say "That's right Stella, stay single forever" - come on. He is coming from a very similar place of heart ache and I thought it was a wonderful turn around from scenes from season 2 where Stella is the friend encouraging Mac to take a chance. A full circle moment in their relationship if you will.

The whole time travel issue was "risky" for sure, but it was entertaining enough and the inner nerd came out of Hawkes nicely and game him some face time.

And I think it is funny that you thought an email would be more personal than a hand written letter. But certainly this is the kind of thing that would be done over the phone - but clearly Claire Forlani's contract was over and they couldn't get her face on the air.

I will definitely admit that the final scene was hokey - but, Mac finds solace in his music and it was a place for him to go to heal his wounded heart. And, Stella, after seeing the letter, knew exactly where to find her friend and went there to support him and I think that's what the show it trying to portray (and sell CDs).

I actually like the way Mac and Stella are interacting through the 4 episodes this season - they are leaning on each other emotionally and confiding in one another like the pals we know they are... and for me that is good.

3. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Good review, if on the short side :( You don't love us so much anymore? ;)

I don't really agree with you on Mac's reaction to Peyton's letter though. He doesn't display much emotion under the best of circumstances, even though he seems to have problems controlling his temper. Indeed, wasn't part of the problem with his relationship with Peyton last season the fact that he was unwilling to really let go with her and keep their relationship under tight wraps?

The Mac that we know had a prior engagement that evening, and well, a Dear John letter wasn't going to keep him from that. But he did seem like he was just going through the motions on stage. While the writers did miss a the moment to have a key moment between him and Stella, there was still an emotional connection when she went to the bar anyway. They made that nonverbal connection over the crowded room that said to me that sometimes their relationship is more about being there for each other than any verbal communication.

I know why you continue to watch the show though :) Flack and Hawkes's scenes together were priceless! :D

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Dude, that's her job. 'Yay, CSI:NY!' is what the rest of us do.

This is true. I like that they 'get' each other. Good, strong friendships are nice to see on shows like these--if only the writers would remember that they also created one between Flack and Danny as well. ;)

Flack's skepticism vs Hawkes' willingness to believe in the possibility was great--and who doesn't love Hawkes geeking out? :p

5. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Ooh, I like to imagine that he is a big fan of David Tennant and John Barrowman. I mean, who isn't? :D

Great review of what wasn't exactly a great episode imo. Flack was OK, Hawkes was great and as springmoon and Fay have said, those two are fantastic together. :D

I thought that the episode seemed to drag a little, with Stella and Danny's case just far too dull for me. And the end scene was clearly just tacked on for the sake of advertising as it bore no relevance to the rest of the episode at all. This episode is not one I will particularly plan to watch again.

6. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

I still think though that Mac should be advising a bit of caution to Stella. I mean, when does enthusiasm cross the line into stalking? Stell has already turned this guy down once (I mean, I doubt she met him for coffee), and he's not taking no for an answer. The fact that he doesn't have a rap sheet just means that nobody has made a complaint...yet. And while people have to take chances once in a while, I'm surprized at Mac being so 'go for it'.

The book was on the seat of the time machine and there was water being sprayed on it to prevent and fires or stuff - and a cute little moment with Flack just missing being sprayed! I figured that was where the blood got wet again.

Edited to add
    And Flack watches Doctor Who! As I didn't have enough reasons already to love the guy!

7. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

As Faylinn pointed out, it's my job to analyze the show. I fail to see how pointing out plot holes and odd character behavior counts as over-analyzing, though.

I don't know if I'd characterize their heartbreak as similar at all--losing a wife and having to kill a boyfriend who turns psycho are pretty different. Both are traumatic, in radically different ways. It's great for Mac that he's opened up to love, but Drew is already exhibiting some of the traits Frankie did--most notably, persistently pursuing her. Frankie called her at work constantly and sent flowers to her office; Drew steals her business cards, shows up at opportune times and sends her a parachute at the office. Mac was looking at the situation through his own eyes and possibly without all of the facts. A better friend would have listened to Stella and considered everything before giving her what was surface and actually quite ignorant advice. But Stella has always been a better friend to Mac than he has to her.

The e-mail comment was more a timing thing--no one would break up with someone overseas in a letter these days. It's preposterous. The time it takes for such a letter to reach its destination pretty much precludes it. If they're going to go the "Dear John" route in modern times, they're going to chose e-mail. But if they could get Claire to read that letter, they could have gotten her to call Mac. ;)

It would have been fine if it weren't such a blatant plug. I had no problem with the scene at the end of "Stuck on You." Mac enjoying and finding solace in his music was not my issue with that scene.

Thanks. :) I love you just as much--just not this episode. ;)

I guess it's more the blatant advertising aspect of that scene that I object to more than anything else. In "Stuck on You," the final scene was a nice moment for Mac, Danny and Lindsay. This felt like a mini-music video. I don't really fault the writer for that--the show got used, plain and simple. No offense to Will Dailey intended, but if they couldn't work him into the episode more naturally, he didn't really need to be there.

:lol: Flack is pretty much the perfect man. And now we learn he has great taste in television, too?

Yeah, that was about as routine as you get. Maybe if it had seen more screen time it might have been a little more interesting, but as it was it was pretty forgettable, and the sorority girl killer a pretty laughable cardboard villainess.

8. lovingtaylor

lovingtaylor Victim

I honestly do mean to be respectful regarding the review. I read them all and I enjoy the differnt points of view. I just felt that this particular reviewer has taken a big ole carving knife to the last two shows and really didn't seem to get any enjoyment out of them.

When I say I think the review over analyses parts of the show... I think there are times when we need to remember that these shows do DNA tests in 5 minutes that STILL take the real world over two weeks. My point is just that in order to have an exciting one hour forensic drama there are going to be a great many shortcuts taken and pointing out all of them (or at least a bunch of them) is kind of like pointing to the nose on your face.

I can see the point with the Stalker thing - but I also think Stella was being glib (in phrasing and expression)when she said "my last boyfriend tried to kill me and I shot him" - and I think Mac responded in kind.

And the music scene - honestly, whenever Gary Sinise's bulging forearms make it in to a show it's been a great episode :)

Thanks for the debate and I hope you enjoy "Down the Rabbitt Hole" - it will be another "risky" plot line and difficult to tie together but I applaud them for trying.

9. Top41

I enjoyed last week's episode despite it's flaws, but found this week's rather unexciting.

Shortcuts are okay. I don't think I've ever complained about them getting DNA in 5 minutes or anything like that--I know that to keep things moving in an hour-long drama, the science is going to be accelerated. What's not okay is huge plot holes in the premise the episode relies on. The fact that it was never really explained why Martin felt he'd killed Kevin or how he knew it would be at exactly 9:45am the next morning is a pretty big problem given that the episode hinges on that premise.

I think she was trying to make light of expressing a very big concern for her. Stella's not one to get mopey and emotional about it; she's a tough girl. For her, that was expressing worry. I just think Mac should have given her situation a little more consideration, as opposed to just looking at it through his own experience.

As a reviewer I have to dig a little deeper, else people might get tired of hearing many, many complimentary comments about Danny in a white shirt or Flack in a tux. ;)

I always enjoy a good debate, so likewise, thank you. :) Last year's big multi-platforming episode, "Hung Out to Dry" was one of the best of the season, so I have high hopes for "Down the Rabbit Hole."

10. Moska

Moska Dead on Arrival

It also wasn't to promote CD sales in SOY because those were Gary's own LtDanBand members and LTDB doesn't produce CDs.

Some of the individual band members do (both Kimo & Carol have their own albums) but you have to search for them :)

m

11. church2001

church2001 Witness

This episode definitely had plot holes (like why the assistant wouldn't reveal he worked for the deceased). But it didn't detract too much from the show (things might have been cut to fill the time slot hence why we get deleted scenes on the DVD.
    Hey, give the previous Doctors a little love too. Doctor Who is a lot older than that.

12. Top41

Definitely. That felt like a cool melding of Mac and Gary, but it was very natural. It made sense within the context of the episode, and was a wrap up for a little debate going on between Danny and Lindsay.

I wish we did get deleted scenes on the DVDs! We don't on the NY ones, at least not in the U.S.

I can so see little Flack camped out in front of the TV watching Dr. Who! :lol:

13. catey1234

catey1234 Pathologist

Top, I think you were right in your comments on Mac advising Stella about dating. I know that she can't have walls against everyone, but this guy is laying things on a little thick. They've met twice, and he's sending her things like that? It just seems stalkerish(is that a word?) to me and like Stella, I would be cautious too. Taking a chance is one thing, being foolish is another.

14. Top41

Yeah, that's how I saw it. Taking a chance on the surface is good advice, but it's also good to take the situation into account. Drew is definitely coming off as stalkerish, and raising all the red flags that someone who has been in Stella's shoes should pay attention to. I'm glad that she's being cautious--it's very in-character behavior. I just hope in the next episode we don't see her out on a date with the guy.

15. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Well, if it helps, then I'm sure he's a fan of Peter Davison too. ;)