Why Aren't You Posting?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by MrsGiovinazzo, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I get the negativity complaints--we're all here because we enjoy the show, and I know some people want to just say, "Great ep! I liked this, this and that!" and just talk about the positive aspects of the show. At the same time, I think Kimmy makes an important point--do away with the dissent and, yes, even negativity, and you also kill a lot of the interesting discussion. I don't know if people are being harder on the show or the season has just gotten off to a very shakey start--I suspect it's the latter because I know when a good ep comes along, like "Snow Day," folks will rave--but it has been more negative in here than usual of late.

That being said, it's you guys who drive the discussion. If you've got topics you want to discuss, throw them in the character threads or start a new topic. Partly--

All of those sound like fantastic topics to me and ones I'd want to discuss. If you see something interesting, please, bring it up for discussion somewhere. And remember, disagreement/polite debate is okay--that really is what makes for interesting discussion. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make you or them wrong. We're talking about opinions here--like CSINYRULZ says, "opinions are like buttholes." :lol: In either this week's grading thread or last, one poster came in and opined that Hawkes was a "Marty Stu" which sparked an interesting debate.

As some of you have said, there's only so many times you can say, "Mac is hot!" I agree completely. So bring in some discussion of Mac as a character or about the 333 caller (I notice there's a thread on that).

Lindsay is polarizing. There's not much we can do to change that, aside from agreeing to disagree and respecting each other's opinions even if we don't agree.

I think that's a fair point. When a post gets piled on endlessly by 5 different posters disagreeing, that gets overwhelming.

Agreed on this as well. I've noticed those posts tend to attract the pile on reaction because it puts people on the defensive.

That's definitely the ideal--to not have anyone feel like they have to edit their thoughts or reactions to the show.

2. Ticamo77

Ticamo77 Hit and Run

It’s funny you should start this thread because I was in IM the other day talking about this very thing. A friend of mine got me to create an account because this was a great board to read and post to. I posted once and didn’t again until a few weeks ago or so. She doesn’t post anymore as she’s not into the show that much as the quality of the writing has diminished. In my short time posting, I’ve noticed a few things and something that stalled my continuing of posting.

I’ve noticed that I can take time out and write my thoughts/opinions/ideas and watch them be ignored; only to be validated when someone copies my post, almost to the word, and receives an ovation because they’re one of the 'regs' around here. That’s not saying that I’m some genius who gets emotionally scarred when I’m ignored or that people can’t have like minds, but that's annoying enough.

I make no qualms about it. I don’t like Lindsay. I wanted to, but it didn’t work out. I don’t think anyone set out to not like her. Oh blah… I quit. :confused: I’m done with Lindsay for today.

I have gone back to lurking because I don’t want to be repetitious.

I chose ‘other’ because none of the other options fit.

3. macpeyfan

macpeyfan Witness

I agree with you - and have had the same feeling around here. Mostly I just shrug my shoulders and go on, but I am less likely to post my own thoughts.

4. Annwn

Annwn Rookie

I used to work only three nights a week now it's 5, when I'm not working I'm trying to catch up on sleep...and tonight because I can sleep I can't because I'm used to sleeping during the day :(! I do get to see about 15 mins of CSI NY in the staff canteen on Tues night tho' (that is if we get in there first and I can change channels ;) :lol:).

Oh, and then there's 'Lancer' :D

5. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

What?? :confused:

ETA: Oh, and Annwn, wtf is "Lancer"? :p

6. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

I have to honestly say that as the shows start up around the same time that school returns that a lot of us younger posters are having to say 'good-bye' to our hundred posts a day and drop down to next to none. As much as I love this site there is no denying the never ending mountain of science labs, math work sheets, English Essays, Drama rehearsals, and other such work and school related issures that I have to deal with on a day to day. MrsG I would never willingly leave this board, not without putting up a good fight and kicking and screaming till I couldn't do either any more, but life is just to hectic for regular posts. Unless you're willing to help me with my homework, there's not a lot you can do.
    Though I must say, this is a great idea, to find out why others aren't posting. ^_^ I really miss being here daily.

7. Ticamo77

Ticamo77 Hit and Run

Sorry, I have a tendency to be a bit wordy. :lol: Basically, I was saying that more than once, I have noticed that I posted something and I guess it slipped under the radar. Someone came along and almost repost what I did originally. The whole 'ovation' thing is a huge exaggeration.

I was told that the forum is a bit of a clique and sometimes it can come off that way. Maybe people feel that way too and don't post as much as they could. That's not to say that I don't enjoy reading the posts (I'm loving the Locker Room these days, btw), it's just that my posts wouldn't be missed anyway. :lol:

8. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

These sound like reasonable solutions to me. Would everyone agree?

To second Top, we do try to allow organic discussion to evolve without constant reminders to stay on topic. But since this particular thread seems to be a fairly consistent source of controversy, perhaps splitting it into two threads would make sense. I'm totally open to that and think it might solve some issues.

A big thank you to everyone for participating so actively in this thread. I hope that we can make this an enjoyable place for EVERYONE to post.

And thanks to only those we know well and dearly love for calling us biatches. :lol: ... Though, of course, if anyone else feels that way, don't hold back.

9. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

The problem I have with this is that if you're discussing another character, part of that discussion will naturally involve their interactions with other characters. The same goes for the actors; discussing their work will involve discussing their interactions with other actors in the cast. Especially when talking about Danny/Carmine because so much of Danny's character and Carmine's work is tied directly to Lindsay/Anna. Well, so far this season it's been less, but who knows if that will continue.

Also, if any criticsm of Lindsay/Anna does end up being confined to specific threads, the same should hold true for criticsm of any character/actor. I can't cite specific posts, but I've seen more than one person post negatively about Adam and Hawkes, for example, when talking positive about Lindsay. Sure, the volume isn't the same, but it does exist and to try and curb negative Lindsay/Anna comments and not curb negative comments about any other character/actor would be hypocritical.

I also agree that if people think the forum is too negative then they need to post more positive things. Blaming other people for creating a negative vibe when you're not doing anything to try and make the vibe more positive isn't very productive. It also isn't fair to accuse those who dislike Lindsay and/or D/L for "ganging up" or "swarming" a positive post when anyone has the right to agree and/or expand on the positive, but no one does.

I'm not saying this is true or fact, but it feels to me like some of the people who love Lindsay and/or D/L want the board to allow only happy, positive, fluffy posts --unless, of course they have a criticism -- and anything less than that will be unacceptable. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to censor my opinion so people who can't handle that it's not the same as theirs will feel better.

10. SimplyBlue

SimplyBlue Police Officer

I picked “Other” mainly because it’s a multitude of things.

1) I was disappointed with Season Three and I haven’t been altogether impressed with this one. So there really hasn’t been a rush to visit the board and post. I guess you could say I’m struggling to keep an interest in the show.

2) It’s also been a little tiring to have a lot of the threads comments laced with negativity toward Anna/Lindsay/the DL as a whole. Now I can’t stand the character, the actress or the relationship myself, but I do believe there is a difference between having an opinion/criticism and making unnecessary insults. Its one thing to keep it in the “Why Lindsay Must Go Thread” and “Grade Threads,” but it’s spilled into several other threads that shouldn’t have anything to do with the character or the relationship. I will agree there are times when it may be relevant to the current topic or debate (say they share a scene together, for example), but then there are other times when the comments seem backhanded with no reason to even be mentioned.

Yes, I agree everyone should express their own opinions on the board and I love how passionate can get over intelligent discussions (because honestly there are sites severely lacking), but I find it unnecessary to read how “Eddie Cahill has fantastic chemistry with all the cast members, unlike *coughs*Anna*coughs*.” I just feel similar snide comments don’t add anything to the conversation and take nothing more than a shot at the actress/character. It gets tedious after a while.

3) Then lastly, I’ve been busy. Between school, work, an internship, and marketing for a restaurant franchise, I haven’t had much time to do anything.

11. Top41

I think if even people who dislike Lindsay are feeling like the criticism of her is going overboard, that is worth noting. Like SimplyBlue said, "Anna sucks" shouldn't be dropped into every conversation or anytime another actor is praised. I've noticed a bit of that, too. Maybe that could be cut back on a bit?

PerfectAnomaly, I agree with you as well, which is why there's no way we're going to lay out which threads criticism of Lindsay can be posted in and which it can't. We're not going to censor anyone here, or set any unreasonable rules. If it's organic to the conversation, no one should feel they have to hold back criticism (any more than people should hold back positive commentary about the character). But as SimplyBlue mentioned above, maybe it could be dialled back a bit.

The forum is ultimately what we make it, and PA has a point--for those who find it too negative, please come in and bring up positive points!

Ticamo77 and macpeyfan, I'm sorry you guys feel there's a clique here. All I can do is encourage you to post more often and let us get to know you. I know that's how I've gotten to know everyone here. For what it's worth, I've noticed both of you and your posts, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I've also gone ahead and started a separate spoiler thread, "Just the Facts, Ma'am!" Hopefully this will help people who just want to read the spoilers themselves have easier access to that material.

12. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

So basically, can we all agree to be civil and respectful of each other and aware of what we're saying and where we're saying it?

If that's the question, then yes. I like to think that I've always done so, but if not then yes, I will.

I think one of the main things this thread has done is point out that people need to post more, whether it be 'positive' opinions or new discussion topics. Like Top says, "The forum is ultimately what we make it."

13. Top41

^Pretty much that's it. I think if everyone can do that, this forum will be a happier place.

And if you've got threads or thoughts, post 'em! We want more discussion. More discussion will make MrsG happy. And we all want to keep MrsG happy. :cool:

14. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Why Aren't You Posting??

> "Not As Much Time yada yada" That whole pesky real life thing I been working on.

I've noticed my posting frequency has dwindled, and not out of any intent. I suppose I've become a more selective dabbler, across the whole of the board. Dunno what it means. There are also times when I pop into a topic that's well underway and so many people have articulated everything so well that I'm often reduced to "er,... what they said."

Could be I just need to get off my ass.

I still love NY, still watch it whenever I can. I've checked out other forums here and there, but have found none I like better, and none that I've ever posted to. I like the community and vibe here. I think posting here made the off-season bearable, frankly, so thanks everyone, for that.

I don't have any real issues with the board. I may disagree with some opinions, or even occassionally with how they are expressed, but that's part and parcel of chatting about stuff in the first place. Discussion without dissent is inane. I think it's great people care deeply, but hopefully none take things too deeply to heart. Wit is good, humour great, articulate honesty is fabulous, and serious discussions are definitely most welcome.

As for a harder or negative tone lately, could be it's only natural when the new season's kicking into gear; every year adds to the catalogue of things to compare to, not only within this show, or even the whole franchise itself, but on television in general. Standards and expectations evolve, and hopefully the show matches them. Then weigh in on how it is, or why it hasn't. Hopefully there's some good to go with the bad. As noted, the board is what we make it, and yes, mea culpa, some of us need to post more.

Pink or white? :p Sorry. I'm ambivalent about D/L. As for Lindsay idividually, I've posted my thoughts occassionally where I couldn't hold back from doing so.

The only issue I do have with the elephant at all is that it seems to take up so much space. All. The. Time. Guess people got a lot to say about it. I suppose that's also what a forums's for. I'm sorry to hear it's become such a divisive issue, even if it's possibly the nature of how posts may be expressed rather than the opinion in question. Civility does go a long way to making accomodating space for all those copper pennies.

eh? wha? :p pish, go on. you lot rock :D

15. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

That's funny. I thought all it took to make MrsG happy was a certain Italian Stallion. :devil: :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.