What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraSidle_girl

SaraSidle_girl Pathologist

I think her name is Cathy Glass. The book title is Damaged Cathy is a foster parent who takes in 8 year old Judy, a girl with severe behavioural problems.
    Based on a true story. Very powerfull and true. Also very sad.

2. never_again

never_again Witness

I'm reading "Troy" by Adele Geras, I don't know why I haven't read it before. I'm about three pages in, and I'm enjoying it :p.

3. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

I'm reading James Patterson- 4th of July, I'm going so backwards in the series, I read 1st to die, then 5th Horsemen, now 4th of July, I had 2nd Chance and 3rd Degree on holiday to read, but my mum read them, and it was so hot it melted the glue in the pages, they fell out and we had to bin them! (That is my excuse for reading backwards ):)

4. mitzi962000

mitzi962000 CSI Level Two

ive just finished reading karin Slaughters skin privilige, and omg, i cannot believe the ending, ive read all her books, and not giving the book away for those who havent yet got to it, i was completely soccered punch :eek:

5. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

I'm starting to read the CSI:NY novel Deluge again since I stopped in the middle of it a few months back...Real life interrupted...

6. steph_r

steph_r Witness

Trainspotting, by Irvine Welsh. Amazing book, but very gross.

7. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I've just started to read Exit Music by Ian Rankin. In this book John Rebus has to retire as he will be 60. Is this the last of Rebus? Time will tell.

8. steph_r

steph_r Witness

:( Rebus retire? That can't happen! That good old Scot should just keep on going. I love the John Rebus series. Haven't got around to reading this book yet though. I think I may have to now!

9. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

steph here's an article from one of Toronto's local papers with an article about Rebus and Rankin

Ian Rankin Article

10. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

I've just realized that since I graduated from college in June that I haven't been reading that many books :rolleyes: I've recently started to read Stephen King's Bag of Bones

11. midnightbellzza

midnightbellzza Coroner

I'm currentley reading Voyage of Plunder by Michele Torrey

It's a book for like, 12 year olds, but it's still really good :lol:. I actually got it and thought it would be horrible (I have no clue why I decided to read it anways) but now I actually really like it. :lol:

12. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I've as usual got several books in my stack. I just finished the second Guardians of Ga'hoole book which still leaves a ton more but I'll get them one by one from the library. I have one called Surviving Antartitica: Reality TV 2023 or something like that. Also The Mob: Feather and Bone, which is juvenile/YA book in a series called the Crow Chronicles(that's the birds not the movies lol)

I sooo want to get my claws,er hands, on the new Dinotopia book, Journey to Chandara, and the Bones companion but haven't made it to the store yet.

13. wibble

wibble Corpse

Again, it would be nice if people wrote a bit more in their posts about the book they are reading, rather than just a line or so. ;)

I'm reading the Whaleboat House by Mark Mills. After enjoying The Savage Garden, I thought I would read his first novel. It's about the death of a beautiful New York socialite in 1947, which is initially thought to be an accident, but turns out she could have been murdered. It is well written, and the decriptions of the settings are particularly good. Really makes you feel you are on Long Island 60 years ago. :)

14. mimic

mimic Hit and Run

I'm reading Devil In The White City by Erik Larson, which describes the construction of the World's Fair in parallel with the story of H. H. Holmes, the first serial killer in US history. It's described as 'novel-like' but it definitely reads like non-fiction. H. H. Holmes though is a scary guy. He built a 'castle' complete with hidden gas pipelines into the rooms, sound-proof and air-tight rooms, and a kiln for incinerating the bodies he didn't sell to medical schools as skeletons. :eek:

15. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

After a long break from reading Kathy Reichs' novels (the formula was becoming a bit tedious for me, since I practically read them all in a row) I've just started reading Break No Bones. I'm only about a third of the way in and I'm already finding it the same old, same old. The only thing that seems to change is the status of her relationships, and the name/sex of the friend who will be endangered/&/or/killed this time around.

So what I'm wondering is, are there books for the Bones TV series? If so, who writes them- I'm assuming not Kathy Reichs? I really think I like the character of Temperance Brennan in Bones as opposed to in the original novels- the vaguely clueless "Bones" is much more appealing to me than the know-it-all, over the top clever, rapier witted Temperance of the Kathy Reichs novels. At first I didn't mind her but now she's really getting on my nerves... can you tell? :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.