CSI: New York--'You Only Die Once'

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Oct 11, 2007.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

Synopsis:

Don Flack is making out with his girlfriend Devon in her apartment when he hears a noise. He goes to investigate and is shocked to discover a man in the high-rise apartment, who escapes through the window via a rope. Flack seizes a taxi and gives chase but loses the man and his accomplice when the high tech car he's escaping in emits a blue liquid and lights it on fire, blocking Flack's pursuit. When the CSIs arrive to investigate the robbery, Flack gives a description of the man and also notes that the guy turned the lights on rather than hiding in the dark. The case grows more puzzling when Flack is called to Bond Street and finds Mac standing over the corpse of the thief he saw in Devon's apartment hours ago. Chief Brigham Sinclair, who was also a victim of the same thieves who robbed Devon, chides Flack for using the taxi and puts pressure on Mac to solve the case.

Dr. Hammerback discovers a tuxedo and long underwear under the jumpsuit of the dead robber, James Stanton. He shows Mac the clean cut where part of Stanton's skull has been removed, but notes that the wound is post mortem and that Stanton died of asphyxiation. Butterfly wing scales lead the CSIs to the Manhattan Conservatory, which hosted a benefit the night Devon was robbed. Randall Rodrique, who was in charge of coordinating the event doesn't recall Stanton, but his assistant Maude does, and notes that Stanton was ejected from the part for fighting with another guest. Danny and Lindsay marvel over the car, which had state of the art tires and memory polymer siding, allowing the car to literally repair itself. Another robbery provides the CSIs with a serial number, which they trace to an Elliot Gano, who works at a car dealership. Gano tells the CSIs he loaned the car to James and then got into a fight with the man after James claimed the car was stolen--even though it was sitting right outside the benefit.

Mac confides in Flack about the harassing calls he's been receiving, playing a message the caller left clearly recorded on a flight on a 767 to JFK airport. Flack promises to investigate to see if he can find which flight the caller took. Hawkes sounds the alarm in the lab--the lab's firewall has been breached. Mac orders all the power shut down in the building, but one lab table continues to glow--beneath Stanton's tuxedo. The CSIs open it up and discover microtechnology in its lining. Stanton and his cohort weren't just stealing jewels--they were hacking into people's personal computers and electronics as well, and committing identity theft. Hawkes recovers the stolen info, and shows Mac a damning e-mail accusing Chief Sinclair of sexual harassment. Mac brings the e-mail to Sinclair, who claims it's an extortion attempt and notes that if it got out, it could destroy him. Flack tells Mac that he learned that the caller was on the flight Mac himself took two weeks ago back from London to JFK.

<HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45%" COLOR="#007BB5">

To read the full reviews, please click here.<center></center>

2. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Great review! :D

:lol: Yeah, Flack was beyond awesome in this episode. And a spin off show? Eh, why not! I'm thinking of starting a campaign for Eddie Cahill as the next Bond, he could definately do it... ;)

Obviously his appalling taste in women is disappointing. I really didn't set out not to like Devon, but there really is little about her to like! Stella made her feelings pretty clear, and Flack didn't exactly look pleased when Devon came over (in the apartment) to tell him about the party they were invited to. He knows she's a bimbo, but doesn't seem to care! :rolleyes:

Yes, the exciting gadgets were a bit over the top and overall the episode wasn't exactly great. It wasn't bad, but the case just didn't interest me. Luckily Flack was there looking fine, and Eddie Cahill's performance was fantastic so it's an episode worth watching again. :lol:

...Adam!! He would have geeked out so brilliantly at some of those gadgets, where is our favourite lab tech? The go to guy? :confused:

I have to say, frankly I'm bored of 333.

3. IlIlIlIl

IlIlIlIl Civilian

I'm a little surprised this writer actually (apparently) makes a living at it, because her writing is so sloppy. Her conclusions about the show are another matter (such as, why does she have such a grudge against Lindsay? Every review has at least a paragraph trashing her), but if you're going to have a writer who can't spell, you should invest in a good editor. This review has a couple of good examples: "the breaks (brakes) on the car failed" and "Danny and Lindsay pour (pore) over the car." Maybe if she didn't rush the review out overnight it might not be so sloppy.

4. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

It must be tough being so perfect.

Lindsay was poor last night, I would possibly even describe some aspects of her performance as embarrassing. Insulting the reviewer won't make Lindsay a better character, it's disappointing that you feel the need to stoop to that level just to get your opinion across.

5. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Aww, we couldn't have a review for an episode where Lindsay sucked without having another random newbie come out of the woodwork. The character is fake, the reviewer is real. Insulting the reviewer doesn't make you look better than the reviewer, who was criticizing a fictional character. :rolleyes:

Good review, as always. I think it's interesting that so many different people came to the same conclusion about that scene being better for Adam than for Lindsay--and his absence two weeks in a row is saddening. They say that he's an important part of the show, and then they turn around and exclude him. Granted, this episode was filmed before the announcement that AJ had signed a contract to be a series regular, but I would have hoped that he would at least be as present as he was last season (where he was in half of the episodes). He was gone last week, so this week would have been a good chance to have him there--especially when there were gadgets and geeking out involved. Adam, like Sid, is a character that doesn't need introduction--you know what they're there for, so you can just show them for a minute and get the point across. Adam is in the lab, no questions asked. ;)

Anyway, moving on...

Flack was great, definitely. Aside from his bad taste in women, he was really fantastic. I can't imagine that much thought was put into why Flack would be with Devon--it was convenient to the plot and was therefore more important than the prior characterization, I suppose. *sigh*

I'll be interested to see where things go with Sinclair, but I'm already just waiting for the 333 storyline to resolve. Long story arcs are more interesting if they don't become a big deal all of the time. A few episodes with mysterious phone calls, then an episode where he confides to someone that he's getting the calls, then a few more episodes where it's in the background, and so on. Eventually, it would lead to the big reveal. When they make a big point of bringing it up in every episode, there's little chance that it'll live up to the hype when all is said and done.

6. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Thank you! :)

Eddie Cahill deserves his own show, period. The man has it all: range, depth and dashing good looks.

Well, I guess it's hard to blame Flack for wanting to get some, but really, his taste is pretty bad. That girl made a wading pool look deep.

I think he made the episode, really. I would have liked to see more spotlight on him and less on Mac's drama. I did like seeing how Flack handled criticism from Sinclair though. The man really is cool under pressure!

I know--this really would have been a perfect episode for Adam, and I think they could have mined the James Bond theme even better with him involved.

So far, it's been pretty predictable and so heavy-handed. How many people have to comment on Mac's shirt before we get that it's new and he lost his luggage? Did he take his entire wardrobe to London? The minute it was mentioned, I knew it tied in with the 333 killer. And the flashback to all the 333-ness before Mac figured out that was the code to the suitcase? We really didn't need that.

Well, at least you could be upfront about what your real issue is. ;) But you know, you really should try to get your facts straight. Unless someone has added paragraphs to my reviews for the first two episodes of the season, you won't find any criticism of Lindsay in them.

That's the way the writing business works, as we who (apparently) make a living at this know. Gotta get on those deadlines. ;) But thank you for catching the two spelling errors in my 1800 word review. I will of course correct them. :cool:

I found her performance embarrassing as well. It's obvious how the writers are constantly struggling with the character, and I think they just went overboard with Lindsay's enthusiasm in this episode. They're dealing with limited acting abilities, and given that the light stuff is all she can do, I guess they're trying to endear her to the audience that way. She was fine in the first two episodes of the season, but I guess she couldn't handle this material.

I will say this, though. Lindsay does seem to have one clear cut character trait that hasn't wavered over two seasons on the show: her arrogance. It's an unappealing character trait, but it is consistent.

Thank you. :) And agreed--I wonder if A.J. Buckley had some prior committment because really, the gadgets in this episode were tailor-made for Adam. I would have loved to see him get excited over the various gadgets in the episode. It was a missed opportunity, but given that he's been signed up to be a regular, there shouldn't be many more of those in the future, thankfully.

After seeing this episode, I really think Devon was intended to be a single appearance character. There was no depth whatsoever to her, which suggests that Flack was merely having a bit of fun, much like James Bond might. ;)

If the hype were good, I might be excited about it. But it's just being handled so clumsily that it's hard to get enthusiastic about the plotline. The Sinclair storyline, however, should be interesting if it goes anywhere.

7. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Oh yeah, I think Devon was never going to be anyting more than a bit of fun. You heard him tell the guy he was interrogating that he 'interrupted a very important 3rd date', and IIRC, 3rd date is the date as far as 'getting some' is concerned <g>

Loved the reactions to Flack's girl, loved Flack (Flack in a vest, in a tux, squeee!!)
    Loved the Flack and Mac scenes, loved that Mac confided in Flack about the 333. (although Mac is an idiot for opening a suspicious suitcase in his office - I know he probably doesn't want anybody to see his dirty underwear, but honestly!)

And I have to disagree with the reviewer and most of the posters, but I actually liked Lindsey this episode. Her car argument with Danny was fun but didn't cross the line into mushy unprofessionalism. She was jokey not whiny at the prospect of having to 'do it old school' for finding the right colour flame. And I quite liked her little celebratory cheer when she finally found the answer.

And yes, lots of Flack! I think Lindsey must have been the only character he didn't have screentime with.

As for the taxi fare issue, I just thought it was as close to a joke as we were ever going to get from Sinclair "do it on your own time!" I mean, he's not going to condone a high speed chase that's against regs, especially when they didn't get the perp.

8. Top41

Yes indeed. :lol: Flack was going to get lucky...and then it didn't happen. And I kind of wonder if, after he witnessed the full depth of her, well, shallowness ;) , he never quite ends up sleeping with her--or seeing her again anyway.

Yeah, that suitcase could have easily been a bomb, triggered when Mac undid the lock. Mac wasn't really using his brain in this one.

I didn't mind the car banter, though I think it would have been better delivered by Adam. I'm not even sure Danny was the right second person for it--much as I love him, I think it would have been more fun to see cerebral
    Hawkes and geeky Adam go at it over the car types. But Lindsay was fine in those scenes; it was the blue liquid/flame investigation and her delivery of some of those lines that made me cringe.

That cracked me up. I think it was another hommage to Bond, who IIRC gets called to the carpet now and then for his extravagant chases. The cabbie charging Flack a fare was pure gold.

9. lovingtaylor

lovingtaylor Victim

I really thought this episode was great. I didn't find it overcrowded or hard to follow at all. I thought the interplay between characters was fantastic "oh mac, back in black" , the cool car dialogue between Danny and Lindsay and the girlfriend chat between flack and Danny.

While I completely agree that there is no way Mac would have opened the suitcase without having it checked out, and no way he would touch the lock without gloves - you have to agree that all the CSI shows suspend reality for convenience on a regular basis. If you start knit picking little details you will never actually enjoy the show.

It clearly looks to me like Mac is being framed for murder - and yes, the blood should have been more brown - but the point is it looks like the 333 person stole Mac's bag on purpose, committed a crime and in now framing Mac for it.. and how that is boring is beyond me.

Flack was great in this ep and I hope they plan on using him more... I feel that he is a very underutilized character.

I can't wait for the next show

10. Top41

There was some very good interaction between the characters--I'd throw in the banter between Flack and Stella as well--in the episode, but it did feel crowded to me.

Definitely true, which is why I didn't bring it up in my review. However, rather than flashing back to the 333 moments which any member of the audience who is not brain dead would recall and connect to the lock that doesn't belong to Mac, it would have had more of an impact to see him put on gloves. It would have let the viewer know that Mac was truly creeped out.

Because it would be too similar to what we just went through with Mac and Dobson last season, or what happened to Sheldon last season, or what Stella went through last season in "Cold Reveal" or what Danny went through in RSRD...really, it's enough of the framing of CSIs on this show, or having them suspected of murder. We had two instances just last season, and one involved Mac. Calling it overkill would be generous.

That being said, I don't think the 333 caller is trying to frame Mac. There's probably more at work here. But I'm getting a little sick of poor, persecuted Mac. We just had a storyline about that late last season, and now we're in the midst of one. It's a bit much, and therefore hard to get into.

He is, though by the nature of Flack's job--a detective on a show about CSIs--that's bound to happen. Hence my comment that he deserves his own show. ;)