Eads Reveals How Firings Strengthened Off-Screen Friendships

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Nov 25, 2005.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

<font color=yellow>George Eads</font> (Nick Stokes) said if one good thing came out of last summer's firings was the solidification of his friendship with <font color=yellow>Gary Dourdan</font> (Warrick Brown).

Last summer, Eads and co-star <font color=yellow>Jorja Fox</font> (Sara Sidle) were fired from CSI after reportedly asking for a pay increase. The experience, Eads said, helped him realize who his true friends are. "I didn't realize what a great friend I had in Gary until then," Eads told the British magazine TV Zone. "I didn't realize how he would step up for me and say, 'I quit if he doesn't come back.' That kind of friendship, you don't find between actors working together on other shows."

Their off-screen friendship, Eads said, mirrors the relationship their characters have together. But initially, Stokes and Brown were not supposed to get along at all. "They wanted me and Gary to be at each other's throats in the show. Then we became best friends outside of work and they had to write that in. People ask me what makes it number one, and really some of it happened by accident."

So successful was the friendship between Nick and Warrick that other shows began to mimic it, Eads added. "They put the guy with a Texan mentality and a kind of old fashioned way of thinking with this very different guy from the east. Then other shows went, 'Hey, we're going to get a southern guy and a black guy,' so it became a formula."

It's relationships between Eads and Dourdan, the actor said, that makes the show such a success. "With us, really reach characters beats to their own drum, yet when you put them together it's one well-oiled machine."

If you live across the pond, pick up the latest issue of TV Zone to read the rest of the article. Thanks to <font color=yellow>sara kicks ass</font> at Your Tax Dollars At Work for this<center></center>

2. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Nice! I love that Nick and Warrick work so well together on the show- they're my favourite work team on the show. :)

And I wonder if Gary threatened to quit if Jorja wasn't hired back as well?

3. Charisma

Charisma Coroner

awwww. thats so cute :)

4. Toots

Toots Pathologist

I'm wondering if George and Eric are still good friends since he didn't mention Eric at all in the article. I had read that Eric's role was to be beefed up since George was fired, and I also had heard that Eric had once stayed in George's apartment way back when; however, I wonder if the fact that Eric didn't threaten to quit along with Gary might have had a negative impact on his and George's friendship. I mean, you never see them together anymore. That would be really disheartening if their friendship were affected.

5. AlyssaluvsDanny

AlyssaluvsDanny Coroner

thanks for posting. i cant imagine warrick and nick being at each others throats all the time. I'm glad that GD stuck up for his friend. :)

6. Joy22

Joy22 Pathologist

I don't think his friendships with any of the other castmembers were affected. He just said that his friendship with Gary had become stronger because of what he did for him. And I don't blame him by the way, that was very sweet what Gary was willing to do for him.

7. MedicWarrickLvr

MedicWarrickLvr Coroner

That was a great article. I can tell by the chemistry on screen that the friendship between the two of them is real. Nice to see that talked about........

8. WarricksLady

WarricksLady Lab Technician

I have to wonder if the shoe was on the other foot would Eads have stepped up to plate and did the same thing for Gary.

Also, IMHO CBS wouldn't have hired Gary back anyway, no matter what he told them.

9. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I think he would have stepped up. And Jorja Fox too.

10. GC_Mass_Spec

GC_Mass_Spec Dead on Arrival

I remember reading somewhere that Billy P.(Grissom) told producers that if G.E. and J.F. were out, or anyone on the team for that matter, he wasn't working either. It's nice that kind of solidarity exists. Besides, the show wouldn't work without the proven crew.

11. Cross

Cross Victim

Thanks for sharing the article.

I agree. I've watched other shows when a main character leaves & is either replaced or not replaced. In some cases it works: ie--M*A*S*H, Cheers. Other times not so much. You can tell George & Gary are friends it really comes through on screen. It's one of the finest qualities this show has. If anyone out there remembers the show "Profiler" (Julian McMahon used to star) the Nick/Warrick friendship reminds me a lot of the John/Nathan friendship from that show.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

that's a nice article :) It's nice that the real friendship of Gary/George mirrors Nick/Warrick's on the show :)

13. Guest

Guest Guest

That is SO cute. I adore those two crazy kids :) I'm so glad the love is real.