CSI NY Ensemble Cast submitted for SAG Awards Nomination

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Fan123, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Fan123

Fan123 Hit and Run

I heard that CBS has finally submitted "The Forgotton Child" to the SAG Awards in the ensemble category. What can we do as fans to support this superior cast?

2. lookaboomerang

lookaboomerang Coroner

Well, I think I speak for everyone when I say that it's about damn time. :D

3. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

Re: CSI NY Ensemble Cast submitted for SAG Awards Nominatio

Woo hoo! It'd be fan-f'ing-tastic to see them get some much deserved recognition. Thanks for sharing that great news, Fan123!

Let me research the SAG awards process, see what kind of campaigning is done, who votes on the nominations, etc. and get back to you on that.

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

EDIT: Nevermind, I mixed something up. :eek:

Do you know which episodes were submitted, Fan123? That's excellent news! Is this the first time the cast has been submitted for the SAG awards? I bet "Snow Day" was at least one of the entries. I hope they get a nomination! :D A win would be even better... :D

5. MrsGiovinazzo

Unless I'm mistaken, historically, the original CSI is the only installment of the franchise to have been submitted for SAG consideration. If CBS has indeed submitted CSI:NY, that would be HUGE because it would mean either that CBS has chosen to support NY over LV for a nomination, or that they've decided to pit their two shows against each other (which might be unwise as they could split the votes for the franchise and fail to secure a nomination for either installment).

Here is the SAG award process in a nutshell:

October 30: Submission deadline
    November 27: Nomination ballots are sent to members of the SAG Nominating Committee. This committee is randomly selected by computer from all eligible SAG members (essentially, those that have paid their dues and kept their contact info current).
    December 18: Nomination ballots are due
    December 20: Nominees are announced (5 per category)
    December 28: Final ballots are mailed to SAG members
    January 25: Final ballots are due
    January 27, 2008: SAG Awards

What this means is that the campaign period to secure nominations runs from October 30 - December 18.

Here's what I propose -- let's wait until October 30 to see the list of submissions. The reason for this is that I want to know whether CBS will be promoting just CSI:NY, or LV as well. If they have also submitted LV, that just ups the ante and means we'll have to beg all the more persuasively that they put some money into their NY campaign (as we know where the bulk of their advertising funds will go if both shows are up for consideration).

As soon as we can confirm CBS's submissions, we need to hit them HARD with letters and emails begging them to take out ads in the trades, mail "For Your Consideration" DVDs, etc. More on that later.

To even secure a nomination for Best Ensemble in a Drama Series would be a huge achievement for the show, truly putting it in the ranks of TVs finest. Last year, the nominees in this category were 24, Boston Legal, Deadwood, Grey's Anatomy, The Sopranos. Great shows! Grey's won.

If NY does garner a nomination, I think it would be fantastic to do something above and beyond, to show all SAG members (the entire membership votes on the nominations, not just the Nominating Committee members) how much fans love CSI:NY. Perhaps we could get fans to contribute to collectively taking out an ad in one of the trades. If I recall correctly, a 1/2 page black and white ad in Variety or The Hollywood Reporter goes for like $2,500. Yes, I realize the bulk of the fans online are dirt poor, but it's really not all that much money. Alternatively, there are other publications read by SAG members (namely the unemployed ones) that have far cheaper rates - like Backstage West. And we have truly talented fans (*cough*Kimmy*cough*) who might be willing to design the ad, as well as fans with the legal knowledge (*cough*me*cough*) to negotiate with CBS for use of their trademark and copyrighted images in an ad (hell, we'd be doing them a favor). We can worry about the logistics of that much later, as trying to reach a large population of SAG members falls further down the road in this process.

Thoughts anyone? Maybe someone is creative enough to think of something better than letters and emails asking CBS to heavily advertise their submission.

6. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Ooohhh, me likes it. :D S'long as screencaps, official photos, etc. can be used, I am go!

Heh, I've noticed fan projects always die whenever there's money involved, specially when that money has to come out of the fan pocket. :lol: So this Hollywood Reporter mag is big with the SAG crowd? If CBS made the submission themselves, I'm sure they'll promote it, right? They sure need a kick in the ass if they don't!

But anyways, if an ad's the way we're going, I don't mind working on it.

7. MrsGiovinazzo

Yeah, I've noticed that too. Really great projects to support interests of both Gary and Melina tanked because people are willing to show their support, but not if it involves any monetary outlay. Cheap ass fans. :lol: Actually, CSI:NY fans are so cheap that when I organized the panty drive for Hill, one girl from the board (who will remain anonymous, but knows I love her dearly) went to Target and bought like a 4 buck pair of panties, then whined about parting with them. :lol: Oh, or even better, some people wanked about having to pay for postage (c'mon, it was less than 2 bucks for most people!) so I gave them my FedEx account #. Damn, we are a cheap bunch. :lol:

But typically fan projects draw from the fans of just one actor at a time and each cast member has a few diehards who will do anything. Pool those diehard fans together, since an ensemble nomination would include everyone, and maybe we could work out something.

Yes, there are two primary trade magazines - The Hollywood Reporter and Variety. Then there are lesser publications that actors use primarily to find employment, but those people are still voting SAG members.

:lol::lol::lol: That would be the logical assumption, but no. CBS is cheap as hell and seems to do more sitting around and watching the campaign festivities than actually participating.

Excellent! Knew we could count on you. :D Your work is gorgeous.

8. Hillicious

Hillicious Hit and Run

Good idea. Count me in MrsG and Kimmy. MrsG, oh how I wish I were around when you sent the chonies to Hill.

Darn it!!!!! :devil:

9. Hillicious

Hillicious Hit and Run

By the way Kimmy, LOVE the graphics! :D

10. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Some of us are poor, you know. :p Don't get me wrong, I love the show and the cast, but it's CBS who should be pouring money into ads to support them, not fans. The best way to get CBS to do that is to flood them with positive, enthusiastic e-mails about the show and the cast.

And CBS already has the perfect pic to use for an add--that new cast pic is gold!

11. mulder8scullly5

mulder8scullly5 Prime Suspect

I hope they can do it!!! Come on, give us CSI:NY love! yeah!

12. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

Deb, if you do the ad I can throw in a few bucks. I don't have a lot of disposable income at the moment, but this would be worth it. :)

13. MrsGiovinazzo

^ Awesome! Thanks, PrettyEyes. Been awhile. I've missed you.

14. CSI808

CSI808 Rookie

I would love to throw in a few bucks for this. I think it would be awesome to show love for the entire cast.

15. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

This is good news! I've always personally found the NY cast to be the most realistic and compelling characters amongst the franchise, and it's wonderful to see CBS taking note rather than dismissing them as usual.