Grade 'The Deep'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes Lab Technician

I'll give it a A- as it was hugely enjoyable but complete hokum. Scuba divers? Give me a break, these guys are meant to be forensic scientists not supermen, and I somehow doubt that it was Carmine and Hill in those diving suits. :)

The Staten Island joke at the beginning made me laugh - I like the little in-jokes they throw in occasionally and I thought Danny's comment about his mother ("It was a very quiet week") was funny too.

I agree with all of you who say it was the interaction between the characters that made the episode; Danny, Hawkes and Flack by the ambulance was particularly good and Danny and Hawkes were great together throughout.

What was it with SuperMac? Why so aggressive? Seemed a little over the top to me, not necessarily in character. Maybe he's venting a little pent up frustration from not seeing Peyton for a while *ahem* if you see what I mean....

I though Carmine/Danny looked less chronically shaggged out than he did last week, maybe he's getting back into the routine. Oh and I thought his "Boom" was one of the best I've heard in ages.

One last thing and I can't believe I'm doing this but Lindsey's "I felt so helpless" comment was, I think, the end of a conversation rather than a statement in itself. I got the impression that they had previously been discussing what had happened so maybe she was more concerned for Hawkes then. God knows whay I'm defending her though, she still grates, hey she even seemed to be getting on Danny nerves :lol:

Oh and Stella should run as fast as she can away from that guy....ewwww, creepy.

2. EllaJ

EllaJ CSI Level Two

This was the first full episode I've seen since the midway point last season. I thought tonight's show was good. Interesting storyline, except it seemed a little too rushed at the end. Nice to see the writers have only the one case going on in the episode.

I couldn't help but laugh at Lindsey watching the guys under water.. and the expressions on her face, the whole scene she looked so worried. Almost as if something terrible was about to happen... :rolleyes:

It was nice to see Pissy Mac again :D

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

B-

The episode trudged along at a snail's pace and then suddenly went into hyperdrive in the last ten minutes. It didn't work at all--the final few minutes were so explanation heavy and then a moment that was supposed to be big tension just wasn't because the bomb was difused with so little suspense it's not even funny. It was definitely a Miami-style finish. NY should stay away from those; the beauty of "Snow Day" was that it managed to be action-packed without feeling like a Miami carbon copy.

The character moments were nice, enough to save the episode from being a complete debacle. Stella's new guy has already come off as a stalker, so if she did meet up with him they're further undercutting her character (shocker! :rolleyes: ) Kerr Smith was a good choice for the role though--he comes off as charming rather than sinister, unlike Ed Quinn.

Danny was adorable in this episode--I loved how he downplayed his heroics in saving Hawkes. As much as Danny craves attention and praise, he's kind of bashful and self-depricating when it does come his way. I think it ties in with his low self-esteem; Danny just doesn't think much of himself so people calling him a hero or gushing over him just makes him uncomfortable.

Maybe I'm building up a tolerance for Lindsay's self-involvement :lol: , but she didn't come off as that bad to me this time either. I'm glad they took out the "I can't watch this" line she was originally supposed to have; that was enormously self-involved. But in the scene with Danny I got the idea that she was trying to praise him and see how he was doing emotionally, especially given that he was in danger once again, so soon after "Snow Day."

This is the second time we've seen Lindsay get personal with Danny at work, and Danny seem uncomfortable with it. I don't think he's trying to keep their relationship a secret, but he does seem uneasy with how she's acting towards him at work.

Mac being annoyed with her over the "history lesson" was funny. Speaking of Mac, I'm so over the whole phone harasser thing already. :rolleyes: Not a good sign when it's only episode 2.

Hawkes thanking Danny at the end was totally sweet, as was the way Flack obviously burned rubber to get to them on the pier. He was probably worried he was going to have to rescue Danny again. :lol:

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Ok, I re-watched. As with last week, I've written down comments as I watched. It's, ah, not exactly the most in-depth analysis or anything, but I think you'll get a chuckle out of it. ;)

Fay's comments during "The Deep"--you have been warned. :p

~ Ew, decomposing flesh is not hot...

~ ...but Hawkes is. :devil:

~ Giving Staten Island back, Flack? LOL, Danny is not amused.

~ Diving into the East River only if you're wacky, Danno? Don't you, uh, do just that later on?

~ The credits are still pretty and shiny, but the song still seems off. They should add Robert Joy and AJ Buckley to the credits and put in the lost lyrics. :) Best solution.

~ Gross body is gross. Juicy, ew.

~ Hee hee, Sid is grossed out. :p

~ Ok, starfish are officially ick now. I dissected one once. Cutty-cutty-choppy-choppy-whee!

~ LINDSAY IS FROM MONTANA! DON'T FORGET!

~ Since when does Flack ask to talk to the single female witnesses/suspects/etc? I know they're turning him into Mr Stud, but c'mon! :rolleyes:

~ The scene with Mac, Stella and Lindsay is giving me deja vu. It's an inside joke that's getting old. And I can't seem to share Lindsay's enthusiasm--I think what she was talking about was interesting, but I'm not enthused. Someone else could have done it better.

~ Danny, be nice to the fishies.

~ Yeah, it's difficult to dive in the East River, but two CSIs could go it alone? Yeeeeeah, riiight. :rolleyes:

~ 'Danny, I just found another dead scuba diver...and I don't want to be alone. Hold me.'

~ Sid/Sheldon OTP! Go swimming, boys. Go swimming together. ;)

~ Drew, you're creepy. Leeeeave!

~ Cute story, Danny. You and Louie were a couple of little bad asses, getting into trouble. LOL But your poor mother. *pet*

~ Hawkes was only half-ass listening. :p

~ Danny is a trip, wanting his picture taken with the figurehead. You're such a kid sometimes, Danno.

~ Why do they give Lindsay Captain Obvious lines? Just to give her something to say? "It's empty." "Hawkes is in trouble." "I can't see anything." Duh, writers.

~ The ocean floor farts in your general direction, Sheldon.

~ Danny likes to call the guys 'Buddy' in tense situations, it seems (first Adam in "Snow Day" and now Hawkes here)--now if only he'd be there for Flack once to show that he's willing to return the favor for the times that Flack has been there for him. ;)

~ 'I'll never let go, Sheldon, I'll never let go!'

~ "I got here as soon as I could." Aww! He totally fired up the siren, you could hear it. *wub*

~ Danny/Flack/Hawkes OT3!--but be gentle on the Sheldon!woobie for a while.

~ Seriously, though, that was a great scene. You could really feel the connection and the camaraderie between the three of them. Three fantastic actors, and they're easy on the eyes to boot. ;) :p

~ 'Danny, let's talk about our feeeeeeeeliiiiings!'

~ "What's it [cortisone] doing in a murder weapon?"--that's a clunker, writers, a friggin' clunker. Why is a mysterious substance there? Uh, that's what y'all figure out. Evidence without context. Personally, I'm wondering why a syringe filled with cyanide gas was used as a murder weapon in the first place, but maybe that's just me.

~ How did the DNA get inside the syringe (or did I misunderstand)?

~ Stella should have shot the f*cker in the leg. You don't take Flack down like that, beeyotch!

~ Priest Vito Cornelius: It's a - it's a - it's a - it's a - it's a - it's a...
    DJ Ruby Rhod: No no no no no no. 'Cuz if it was a bomb, the alarms would go off 'cuz all these hotels have bomb detectors, right? [the alarms sound]

[/random Fifth Element moment]

~ Oh Flack, I love it when you give orders. *spanka spanka*

~ Mac is pissed off nao!

~ I kinda love that Danny rushed to close the door. :p

~ Interesting that it's pretty much down to just Mac and Flack when the episode goes the action route--everybody else disappeared.

~ I'm glad they jammed the signal, Mac, since you were just standing around and waiting for the guy to hand over the remote. :rolleyes:

~ Danny/Hawkes OTP--ah, screw it! Mac/Danny/Flack/Hawkes/Sid/*cough*Adam*cough* OT6!

~ Preview for next week: Stella and Flack all gussied up--can I get in the middle of that plz? :p

Overall, it was a good episode--not the most cohesive, but not bad. A little bit of Adam would have made it better, though. *pout*

5. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

I gave it a B.

Like most of you pointed out, the characters interaction was great in this one. I can't remember much about the case but I sure do remember how much I appreciated that. :)

Danny was especially good in this one, which makes me kind of hopeful that Carmine's statement is indeed true. *crosses fingers*

What I didn't really like is that the show looked a little too much like Miami. Too much action, too many bright colors. Dear writers, please don't turn it into Miami #2.

6. goldnhart

goldnhart Rookie

I thought the episode was pretty good, although a bit contrived.
    I've always liked Lindsay, but she seemed to be phoning it in last night. Her scientific explanation sounded like she was reading it right off the script. And trouble in Paradise? Danny has seemed short with her both this week and last.
    I agree with those who hate the new intro. Please bring back the old Baba O'Riley.

7. kkennedytx

kkennedytx Rookie

Faylinn,your recap is hysterical--but rather accurate! Loved it--please post recaps for every episode this season. Pretty please?

8. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Yes, there’s not much I can add (especially after Fay's fantastic note taking) to what has already been said, but I may as well repeat some of it anyway. :p

Icky body in dirty (but looking oh so clean far down when they dive) river. Now I’m not exactly a Danny fangirl, but I did find myself giggling with delight at his unusual sweater (such a cute cardigan). :lol: Flack’s Staten Island comment was priceless, definitely a friendship moment, kind of like you can tell that they are close and like to tease each other every now and then…

I loved Sid in the autopsy. Peeling away the wetsuit was nasty, and then puncturing the body to let the gases escape, and testing himself to see how long he could put up with the stench for! (I'm sure that's what he was doing, otherwise he would have put the mask on straight away?) :lol: Gross out TV at it’s best.

Lindsay, oh Lindsay. Now it would seem that I simply cannot be appeased by anything she does. Stella really doesn’t help with her ‘Montana’ reference. :rolleyes: But then Lindsay does her little science explanation piece, and Stella and Mac play the season 2 role of humouring the new girl. Only now it’s season 4, and we’ve heard it all before. Lindsay should be the one saying ‘enough already with the Montana talk and talking as if I’m not there.’ It's embarrassing, and has definately run it's course. However, I have to say that later, with Danny, I did quite her interaction with him, well I didn't like it, but I did buy it. But she's still in the lab? What's up with that? Adam should have been there too...

Anyway, the interviews. Stella’s comment about Flack interviewing the single girls, convenient scene setting for stud Flack, and therefore it irked me a little. The Albanians, I’m sorry but they were definitely gay lovers (oops no, they are bomb makers, but I’m sure they were getting it on too).

Danny and Hawkes’ second dive. Whilst presumably it was supposed to appear dangerous and life threatening when Hawkes was trapped, I didn’t buy the suspense. Somehow watching some sand through a screen back in the lab didn’t really add a feeling of doom, neither did Lindsay’s faux panic. It was pretty obvious how they would get Hawkes out, and I was surprised that he was really injured at all, it just didn’t seem like he should really be. :lol: Still, Hawkes was then very cute with his morbid talk and he and Danny had a great rapport. Flack coming over all ‘I came here as quick as I could’ as if maybe he could have helped them in some way despite the fact that they were 150 ft down? He checks they are OK (yay for caring Flack) and then launches straight back down to business, what did they find down there? And hey, they even managed to bring it up with them despite the emergency assent...

Anyway, then they seemingly magically work out that the Albanians are involved (or something, I think maybe I lost interest at this point) and go to find them. We know they are going to kick ass because the guy flattened Flack, and no one should get away with that! But then, Mac pulls Stella away from the car when she is asking the guy questions, and then he definitely goes over the top in the interview room. Danny looks like he’s not sure what to make of it, and then shuts the door so no one can see! :lol: Flack walks in anyway and I think he looked a little disapproving at Mac but still didn’t mention it. It’s amazing what Mac can get away with?

I thought the rest of the episode went by too fast, and there wasn’t really any time to get to what turned out to be the real plot! It was almost secondary to the episode… And yes, agreement with the Miami references. :lol: Hilarious.

And Danny and Hawkes in the lab. Saving a man's life is nice and I just wanted to hug them both. :D

Well, Mac had a reference to 333, just so we can’t possibly forget about his angst, and even a flashback to the London hotel room. And possibly worst of all, Stella’s introduction to the clearly dodgy/dangerous/stalkerish potential of Drew Bedford. Stella acts all hard, and whilst you really hope she didn’t meet him in the diner later, promo pictures have me believing that she did (even if it didn’t air). Are we meant to believe that Stella is that blind to unsuitable men, especially ones that steal her business card? :rolleyes:

I gave the premiere a B, and I’m not sure if I liked this more or less, so I’ll give this one a B too. Mostly because the character elements were good, even if the plot was rather pointless, rushed and somewhat random. The old terrorism plot line is wearing a little thin.

9. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

^^^Exactly fay I was about to write similar- you saved me a job!! :lol:

Ok the credits are growing on me but I still love the old theme!!
    Lindsay whats with those 'obvious' lines- they do that in Miami!! Speaking of Miami.... I think after loosing thoses key words in the theme TPTB have completly forgot them!! This show will not end up up like Miami. Im sorry but the ending 'action' sequence just screemed those golden sands with that man in 'on/off' glasses standing on a boat... sorry Mac!

Ok apart from the incresing Miami like scenes I quite liked it I just hope it gets better next week!! :)

One last thing that Man (wo was talking to Stellla, forgot name) is creepy! but I loved Stellas reaction :lol:

10. csiviper

csiviper Witness

OMG, Fay, YOU"re Hilarious.
    DOes anyone here also like LOCI? LAw and order ci?
    ITs today and its going to rock.
    The nEXT EPISODE is going to be so freaking awesome and Stella looks GORGEOUS like always.

11. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

*bats eyelashes* It's a distinct possibility that I will.

Thank you kindly. :)

Indeed. They were most definitely hitting it hardcore man-on-man style, baby. The one that got the bends fleeing from a little jellyfish is so the bottom. As soon as Stella left, they totally had a little spat that ended in some fast and dirty makeup sex before they went about their business trying to blow some dude up.

*cough*

12. CSINEWYORK000

CSINEWYORK000 Lab Technician

I watched it. It was about Staten Island (i think). It was funny- because hes the first person I thought of , cuz hes from there, and when they were on the boat (Danny and Hawkes), Danny shared stories about his father & him fishing. It was kinda cute. There were a lot of good moments- I cant remember them all. And I liked the episode, except I couldnt watch when they pull out the dead divers & the autopsy(no offence but - GROSS!)

13. garysloveslave

garysloveslave Dead on Arrival

it was pretty good. just not enough gary in it. :D

14. CSINEWYORK000

CSINEWYORK000 Lab Technician

I watched the episode. It was about Staten Island (i think)in the begining. It was funny- because Carmine was the first person I thought of , cuz hes from there, and when they were on the boat (Danny and Hawkes), Danny shared stories about his father & him fishing. It was kinda cute. There were a lot of good moments- I cant remember them all. And I liked the episode, except I couldnt watch when they pull out the dead divers & the autopsy(no offence but - GROSS! They should have a warning for graphic scenes)

15. garysloveslave

garysloveslave Dead on Arrival

im with ya there about the bodies, i had to look away as i was eating ramen noodle when i watched it. i nearly hurled,lol.