CSI: New York--'The Deep'

CSI Files

Captain
Synopsis:

The body of a diver is found during a boat race, and the CSIs are surprised to find he asphixiated with a full tank of oxygen. Hammerback recovers several starfish from the diver's body, and tells Stella the man had fatal amounts of cyanide in his lungs. The victim is identified as Doug Holden, a scuba-diving instructor. He's been missing for three weeks, as has his fellow instructor, Matt Campbell. Stella and Flack question some of their students, including a married couple and a pair of Albanian men. Lindsay finds asbestos from subway cars in the stomachs of the starfish leading Mac to suspect the men may have been killed in old subway cars dumped in the river in the 70s. Danny and Hawkes go for a dive to explore the cars, and Hawkes discovers the body of Matt Campbell. Hammerback determines Matt died of cyanide poisoning as well, and Stella finds a gold coin in the diver's gear. Stella takes the coin to an antiques dealer, where the dealer determines the coin is a fake--and a handsome stranger named Drew Bedford identifies the kind of coin it was modeled off of for her.

Stella recalls that one of the diving students she talked to was a jeweller who had an attractive wife who seemed a little too interested in her diving instructor. She postulates that a jeweler could have created the fake coin. Flack questions the man, but he denies any involvement in the men's death, and tells the detective he's unconcerned with his wife's activities. His alibi checks out, but Lindsay has another lead: larvae that are found in regions 100 feet deeper than the CSIs previously looked. Danny and Hawkes go diving and recover more coins and syringe, but the trip turns dangerous when a metal pole shifts, trapping Hawkes beneath it. Danny frees him and the two make it to land safely. Flack finds a salvage permit for the area registered in a fake name. Danny examines the syringe, discovering cortisone in it and then DNA with a mutation that is unique to people of Balkan descent. Danny realizes the syringe must have been reused, and Stella recalls the two Albanian students she questioned.

The police storm the Albanians apartment and one of them, Zamir Duka, tries to run. While Mac and Flack apprehend him, Stella searches the apartment and finds the makings of a bomb. Questioning Zamir proves futile, but Mac and Flack put together that the commissioner has been running an investigation into Iraqi insurgents that the Albanians might want to put a stop to. The Albanians used the scuba instructors to train them and then killed the men by luring them deep into the water with the promise of a hidden treasure. When Flack learns a death threat against the commissioner has been called in, leading the commissioner to take a helicopter to an important UN conference, he and Mac realize that the helicopter will land over the water--just as the Albanians have planned. Mac and Flack race to the pier where Mac discovers the bomber about to set off his bomb--only to discover it's been disarmed by the police.

Analysis:

With a quirky start, a slow middle and a rushed finished, "The Deep" is a perfect illustration of how CSI: NY straddles the middle ground between CSI and Miami. It starts off focused, with the search for the elusive crime scene dominating much of the first half, and then suddenly in the final act, it turns into a race to stop two terrorists. The two halves never quite gel: the first is too drawn out, the second too rushed and too neatly wrapped up. "The Deep" is not a terrible episode by any means, but it never feels quite distinctive.

<HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45\%" COLOR="#007BB5">

To read the full reviews, please click here.<center></center>

Great review as usual. My biggest quibble was the complete disappearance of Adam. I mean, couldn't he have been the one to discover the coins were fake? But no, Stella had to meet her latest creepy himbo.

Anyway, I agree that the case tried my patience. I mean, they through a lot of elements in, and didn't do any of them well, IMO.

I liked the Danny/Hawkes and Danny/Hawkes/Flack stuff. Sid always does well with his scenes and makes me laugh.

I found Danny's reactions to his "heroism," like you did, very true to his character. Quick to brush it off, not one to bask in praise, either with Lindsay or Hawkes.

Anyway, not a memorable eppy.

(My two cents on Lindsay in the lab: I think Anna is probably confined to LA because of the baby, and as yet has not been involved in location shots. *shrugs*)

audrina said:
Great review as usual. My biggest quibble was the complete disappearance of Adam. I mean, couldn't he have been the one to discover the coins were fake? But no, Stella had to meet her latest creepy himbo.

Thank you! And yes, Adam's absence was disappointing. He's become an integral part of the show in the lab, kind of like Sid in the morgue.

And ah, Stella's himbo. They really weren't going for subtle there, were they?

Anyway, I agree that the case tried my patience. I mean, they through a lot of elements in, and didn't do any of them well, IMO.

I know what they were going for--something that seems simple (or relatively so) turns out to be a part in a big conspiracy, but the stuff with the bombers all happens in the last act and feels rushed.

I liked the Danny/Hawkes and Danny/Hawkes/Flack stuff. Sid always does well with his scenes and makes me laugh.

All of that was great. I particularly loved Flack's little quip about giving Staten Island to New Jersey and Danny's response, as well as the way Flack ran up to the ambulance on the pier. Flack's so used to playing the hero that had they still been down there, he probably would have suited up himself and dived in! :lol:

And that final scene between Danny and Hawkes was just perfect.

I found Danny's reactions to his "heroism," like you did, very true to his character. Quick to brush it off, not one to bask in praise, either with Lindsay or Hawkes.

A lot of the times when Danny acts he has the best intentions but not the best outcome, or he gets in trouble for a rash act, so it makes sense that he'd brush off credit when it's heaped upon him.

Anyway, not a memorable eppy.

(My two cents on Lindsay in the lab: I think Anna is probably confined to LA because of the baby, and as yet has not been involved in location shots. *shrugs*)

It's definitely possible, though doesn't she usually end up in the lab when the whole team works on one case? I have to say, I prefer her in the lab to out in the field or questioning suspects, but I'm sure we'll see her out in the field before too long.

Argh! Great review! I did think that the second half of the episode seemed really contrived and thrown hastily together. It was pretty maddening to watch as a promising episode slid inexorably downhill.

I have to say that I figured out the two suspects as soon as Stella went back to the lab and started discussing the case. She said: "Mediterranean", and I said: "Those two Italian guys!" Turns out they were Albanian, but close enough :D The entire terrorism to commissioner connection was pretty flimsy. Why must they make my brain hurt so?

I agree that this episdoe was very weak. I hated the final scene with Mac holding his gun out on the edge of the boat - it was so Horatio Caine (and I watch Miami - but what happens in Miami stays in Miami) and Mac Taylor just isn't that guy.

I do think though you comment regarding the changing of Mac's extension as a "solution" is harsh. Clearly they are simply building how uncomfortable Mac is with this whole 333 thing and changing extensions was an easy fix that may buy him one night's rest. I don't think we were ever meant to believe it is a solution of any kind, but just a desperate guy trying to get some peace.

I think the pace of the ep was disturbed by the whole team working one case, and trying to fit everyone in on the same storyline - hence Lindsay replacing Adam as the lab rat in this show.

Overall I thought this ep was pretty weak - though I did rewind the scene with Mac in the sunglasses and v-neck.... twice

Springmoon said:
Argh! Great review! I did think that the second half of the episode seemed really contrived and thrown hastily together. It was pretty maddening to watch as a promising episode slid inexorably downhill.

Thank you! :) Yeah, I think after all that build up with the crime scene, a more modest twist would have paid off better. Maybe even a treasure hunting scheme/scam--anything but the implausible, rushed terrorism angle.

I have to say that I figured out the two suspects as soon as Stella went back to the lab and started discussing the case. She said: "Mediterranean", and I said: "Those two Italian guys!" Turns out they were Albanian, but close enough :D The entire terrorism to commissioner connection was pretty flimsy. Why must they make my brain hurt so?

For a minute I thought they might have been gay lovers, and then I realized this is CSI: NY, and they don't go there. :rolleyes: So then they stuck in my mind as possible suspects.

lovingtaylor said:
I agree that this episdoe was very weak. I hated the final scene with Mac holding his gun out on the edge of the boat - it was so Horatio Caine (and I watch Miami - but what happens in Miami stays in Miami) and Mac Taylor just isn't that guy.

That was definitely a Miami moment, and NY should stay away from those. I agree with you--leave Miami to Miami.

I do think though you comment regarding the changing of Mac's extension as a "solution" is harsh. Clearly they are simply building how uncomfortable Mac is with this whole 333 thing and changing extensions was an easy fix that may buy him one night's rest. I don't think we were ever meant to believe it is a solution of any kind, but just a desperate guy trying to get some peace.

Yeah, and I said that, too--that it probably indicated his frustration with the situation. My reaction likely indicated my own as well; only two episodes in, and I'm losing interest in the 3:33 phone caller.

I think the pace of the ep was disturbed by the whole team working one case, and trying to fit everyone in on the same storyline - hence Lindsay replacing Adam as the lab rat in this show.

I like when they all work one case--it usually ends up being a better case (usually, not always). They managed to work Adam in last week; I think they could have done so in this episode as well.

Great review as always. :)

Yeah, this episode was odd. The character bits were good, but the plotline and flow was just off. I did love Danny and Hawkes' interaction in this one. Danny is a good guy, caring and I think genuinely sure that anyone would do the same thing in that situation, hence his modesty. Angry Mac in the interview room was odd, Danny looked concerned and Flack definately seemed disapproving when he walked in. But no one mentioned it? Is Mac allowed free reign on suspects?

My main complaints with this episode (apart from the rather random terrorism plot) were that we are expected to believe that Stella is that bad a judge of character, not learning from her mistakes, despite that fact that this guy steals her card from a man she gives it to whilst investigating a murder! I just don't like it. And then we have certain elements thrust upon us which are irrelevant to the plot but TPTB think we need to see, yes Mac's phone calls are causing him concern (and just in case we forgot we get a London flashback) and Flack is single (conveniently mentioned just in case we weren't sure), and yes Danny and Lindsay just have to have a scene together where they fawn over each other just a little. Actually their scene was OK, I just wonder if we will get one every episode, maybe TPTB are worried that we will forget that they are a couple?

I missed Adam this time, I felt that he could have been there. :( And the credits will take a little longer for me to get used to them, they still seem unfinished and whilst they will slowly grow on me, they don't make me all warm and fuzzy like the previous ones. :p

Elsie said:
Great review as always. :)

Thank you! :)

Yeah, this episode was odd. The character bits were good, but the plotline and flow was just off. I did love Danny and Hawkes' interaction in this one. Danny is a good guy, caring and I think genuinely sure that anyone would do the same thing in that situation, hence his modesty. Angry Mac in the interview room was odd, Danny looked concerned and Flack definately seemed disapproving when he walked in. But no one mentioned it? Is Mac allowed free reign on suspects?

That was a little odd. I think Danny just didn't know what to do--he really does seem to look to Mac like a father, and like any child who sees their parent get really, really angry, he freaked out and tried to cover it up rather than really trying to stop Mac. Flack, on the other hand, seems to have a sixth sense for things going down badly, and he swooped in and stopped it without having to get in Mac's face about it.

My main complaints with this episode (apart from the rather random terrorism plot) were that we are expected to believe that Stella is that bad a judge of character, not learning from her mistakes, despite that fact that this guy steals her card from a man she gives it to whilst investigating a murder! I just don't like it.

Well, I hope she didn't meet him for coffee, that's for sure. :lol:

And then we have certain elements thrust upon us which are irrelevant to the plot but TPTB think we need to see, yes Mac's phone calls are causing him concern (and just in case we forgot we get a London flashback) and Flack is single (conveniently mentioned just in case we weren't sure), and yes Danny and Lindsay just have to have a scene together where they fawn over each other just a little. Actually their scene was OK, I just wonder if we will get one every episode, maybe TPTB are worried that we will forget that they are a couple?

Their scenes seem to be pandering to those looking for romance in the show. So far, they've been inoffensive. I laughed at Danny's discomfort with the liquid condom in the first episode, and I thought his brush-off of Lindsay's compliments in this episode was telling about his character and how he handles praise.

I missed Adam this time, I felt that he could have been there. :( And the credits will take a little longer for me to get used to them, they still seem unfinished and whilst they will slowly grow on me, they don't make me all warm and fuzzy like the previous ones. :p

I don't think they quite fit. Hopefully they'll at least stick Adam in there. Since he's now a series regular, it doesn't seem right to not have him in the credits.

Back