Season 8: "Dead Doll" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Sep 21, 2007.

1. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Re: "Dead Doll" Discussion **SPOILERS**

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I think the GSR storyline has been done smartly and has not taken away from any of the forensic stories. It basically has been a story within a story for the last 7 years and I guess we will see more specifically in the next few episodes. Dead Doll and some of Living Doll have been the only episodes where GSR has been featured. From what Shankar has said, they wanted to finally bring the affair out in the open in a dramatic way, and I think they succeeded with a great episode. I have watched it several times and am liking it more and more!

2. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

no worries, i wasn't mad at your post, it had valid points and i don't mind people disagree with me, even if i debate back and seem irritated.

I have trouble communicating with people, i get misunderstood all the time, so i am used to it. My points on this board frequently get misunderstood.

:lol: at sara going to supper with her vest...i can see her doing that.

If i really have to explain myself i will...

The Mac relationship isn't 'forbiden', they don't directly work together, plus she is a new character, so there isn't any long drawn out storyline involved. Plus she isn't in every eppy, nor is she with him ever second, sara and grissom worked every single case together last season, that was overkill. Plus their relationship is done really well, not forced like i see gsr, and no corny chiche stuff like love letters. Also New York's style allows for more character stuff, something vegas didn't do. Not to mention the show is getting better and better, not worse like vegas. If GSR was done more like mac and Payton's, i wouldn't have much of an issue with it.

Miami is just pure fluff...i watch it not for its serious nature, but for the action and cheese. It works on miami,but i would never want vegas to be like this. Its a funny show, and the characters and their storylines are way more developed than on vegas because of the style of the show. That is miami's identity, and they do it well.

3. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Good point, but actually they've been featured in many eps. together, not just these two, have you watched all 7 years? too many to mention here, and this isn't the place either!

4. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

Re: "Dead Doll" Discussion **SPOILERS** *DELETED*

Post deleted by xfcanadian

5. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

After watching the ep again I found that the flash backs helped to solidify that Sara knew what she was doing from the moment she woke up in Natile's trunk.

She used her CSI training skills to leave a trail and attempt to get out of danger. And with the rock trail perhaps she had tapped into her inner survival techniques since the foot prints were of no use.

As for anything to do with GSR, it was an undertone the entire ep, Grissom was just as worried as the rest of the team. The end was perfect in that she saw the person she wanted to see the most after her 15 horrid hours in the desert.

It's sad that their romance maybe ending since they are ovbiously meant for one another. But Sara is too strong willed to let Grissom leave his other love, his job. She had o have suffered memory loss and/or some internal injuries that are going to cause issues in the near future.

6. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

This whole episode wasn't bad, but a little boring to me. Jorja did a great job, though. Made up for the (imo) not very well-written script. And dammit where was Warrick again?

7. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Hit and Run

My coworker who is not a fan of the show (but her husband is) had a similiar opinion. Her impression was that it was as if the writers got together and banged out the show one night. I'm not a fan of GSR but see no point in debating it here. In the end, that isn't the thing that bothered me about the episode anyway - it was the things like the footprints, the vest, etc. together with the obvious attempts at manipulating the viewer's emotions. A body! Maybe she's... No pulse? Maybe she's...And things like - when she's on the top of the hill - of course she will tumble down. She's holding a mirror - it will flash, enabling them to locate her... so glaringly obvious. It felt badly written, especially compared to previous seasons, and leaves me concerned about the future. Hopefully once they are back in the lab (and Ecklie is on their case) things will be better, but only time will tell.

P.S. Thanks for clarifying things allmaple. That was exactly my point - that she could not have gone that far (like someone in a plane could) so why wouldn't they have used the helicopters in the search?

8. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

also the fact that the mirror was flashing while she was on the ground, in the shade :lol:

9. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

^ LOL the body part reminded me of the scene from Way to Go in which David rolled a body into the morgue and Cath and the Doc who had been talking about her case there suddenly froze. Also the scene from Grave Danger in which Cath and Warrick dug like crazy only to find out that it was a dog buried under the ground. :lol:

10. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

when I said 'featured' I actually meant where they are the main focus of the story. And yes I have seen all 7 years and I know they are together in many of them. We are on the same page here, desertwind. I always like your postings.

11. Alien_from_mars

Alien_from_mars Prime Suspect

I dont know what to think of this episode to be honest.
    I downloaded it as I cant wait for its release here lol

I wanted Sara to stay alive and I was SOOOO glad that she is, but I still felt a little let down. In parts I was actually bored.
    It wasnt like a normal episode and I think for me it was far too easy to find her, like where the car was located and things like that. I also thought that it was a bit too choppy if you get me? Cutting from scene to scene far too quickly, it didnt flow for me and well, I guess thats the only thing that disappointed me.
    I knew it would be about finding Sara and everyone would be working on it but there was no talking or anything between them.

12. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

One thing that really baffles me with this episode is the obvious lack of continuity. In looking at the screencaps closely, it's clearly Sara's right arm that gets pinned under the car, and then clearly her left hand that searches for the rock under water. Yet, when she finally gets out and starts walking, it's her left arm that's in the sling. Wouldn't Jorja at least remember which arm was pinned and point it out to them?

Another thing that really bugs me with the 'pinned under the car' scenario - Natalie is slowly lowering the car. Couldn't Sara have at least moved her arm a little? She's lucid enough to yell at Natalie at that point, yet her arm is lying there free before the car finally gets low enough to pin the arm. She could have easily moved it a little to avoid getting pinned.

13. Crysthala

Crysthala CSI Level One

When has the team stopped working together? Srsly. The episodes have always been pretty "solid" and well-put-together, and there aren't any major plot holes in this one, despite numerous flashbacks in a rather jumbled-up order, which I put together quite easily during commercials. Frankly, I don't see what you're complaining about. As for the entire episode being about GSR? No, it was not. The entire episode was about Sara escaping from a bad situation and the team's efforts to find her.

The show has never stopped being intelligent. Never. Even on the "whimsical" episodes, where the writers have a little more fun, all of the character interaction of CSI still takes place in a scientific setting, and a damn good one at that. It does have certain inaccuracies, but you'll find that in any show. And what is this about "bad writing, acting, and directing"? IMNSHO, a bad writer/actor/director is a robot, who ignores the emotional aspects of a situation in favor of trying to be more "intelligent." It takes a wonderful writer/actor/director team to put together a decent emotional scene, and CSI accomplished that fantastically. And the CSIs decided to divide and conquer to find Sara faster, which is teamwork if I ever saw it; they would have had to divvy up the tasks at hand among themselves, and Grissom bounces from one group to another to compile all the results and help direct the search teams. Funnily enough, I don't really seem to see anyone complaining about the team not getting enough "interaction" when they work on completely different cases in a single ep. But that could just be coincidence.

A. GSR fans do not care for your criticism. And this is absolutely not a GSR site. I respect that you have the right to your opinion, I just also enjoy poking out the holes in the logic you use to formulate it.
    B. Grave Danger was quite different, actually. In Grave Danger, the perp was not completely insane. Partially, perhaps, but not clinically so. Also, there were financial motives involved, not just revenge, as it was for Natalie. Yes, the GD perp was trying to get revenge, but it was for his still-living-and-in-prison-and-possibly-involved-in-a-crime daughter, whereas Natalie's ONLY motive was revenge, and for the foster father who killed himself in an effort to divert suspicion from her, which she then blamed on Grissom. Also, Nick was pretty much helpless in his entire situation, what with the being completely buried and being knocked out for the ride and all. Sara was given a fighting chance and took it, and kicked ass at it, I might add. So, no. Sorry, but DD was not a copy of GD.
    C. Regarding Grave Danger and the putting of characters in danger, uh, yeah, episode 6 of season 1, Nick gets a gun in his face. The lab exploded, injuring Greg, Sara, and the fingerprint tech. I forget which season, but Nick also got a stalker. (Is it just me, or does that guy need a stunt double?) Season 5, Nick is buried, season 6, Brass is shot, season 7, Catherine's incident with the car and what was then thought might have been date rape, Greg got the living crap beaten out of him, and now in S7-8 Sara gets thrown under a car. It's a TV show. Not only is it a TV show, it is classified as a DRAMA. D-R-A-M-A. Drama means emotion and characters being put into interesting situations. Also, it means the occasional confused point, scientific inaccuracy, and little slipup. It's called "suspension of disbelief." Just let it entertain you. Relax. :)
    D. The GSR storyline is not crappy.
    E. Ooh, comments. I'm quivering. Bring it on. Honestly, you can rant all you want. We don't care.

14. Barbarella

Barbarella Lab Technician

Amen - you took the words right out of my mouth. Matter of fact, I've started watching CSI: NY when it's on but I didn't watch LV until today. Sad but true, LV just doesn't grab me like it used to. (And that ambulance scene made me throw up in my mouth a little...)

15. Crysthala

Crysthala CSI Level One

Dreadfully sorry, dears, but I do not comprehend. How is it that Mac can have a relationship where there is a huge physical aspect, and then the moment Grissom holds Sara's hand or there is a minute-long scene involving their relationship, you people suddenly throw up into your mouths (TMI, by the way, TMI) and start spouting gibberish about how Mac and Payton have a more "ethical" relationship (they do work together, folks. You'd still be saying all this if Sara was a lab tech) and how there's no "long, drawn-out storyline." So you're allergic to mature relationships that develop over years with substance, chemistry and character, and somehow you aren't allergic to jumping full-on onto the sex boat? Also, you wouldn't tear up if your boyfriend, whom you are madly in love with, writes you a letter like that? If you would simply scoff and dismiss it as corny and cliche, then you, I am sorry to say, are probably both miserable and a rock.
    That's funny, I could have sworn you were just complaining that CSI had too much character stuff for you. Oh, no, wait, it has character stuff, but not with the characters you want to see together? Is that it? Also, I vaguely and distantly recall someone saying how CSI is too emotional and not intelligent enough for you. Hmm, maybe not so distant. Viewers, please scroll up the page. Post number 1283029, I believe. I believe my point has been made.