Fox's Fate Is Confirmed

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Sep 28, 2007.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

Sara Sidle may have survived in the desert, but <font size=yellow>Jorja Fox</font> is saying goodbye to CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.

Fox herself did not confirm that she was leaving CSI, but multiple sources have done so according to Ask Ausiello. Fox's contract expired at the end of season seven, and there have only been rumors since then about whether she would remain on CSI. Fox did not sign a new long-term deal with the show, and Sara will be making her exit in November.

When asked what caused her to leave the show when the season is partially over, Fox could not answer because she is still under contract. "I'm not actually allowed to talk about storylines that haven't aired yet," she explained. "So since I've already been sitting in a pile of secrecy since last April, I'm going to have to keep the secret a little longer. I apologize." Fox also would not state whether the rumors about her refusing to show up for filming at the end of season seven were true. She said that she makes it a point not to answer those types of questions. However, she did say that "it was true that my contract was up, and so CBS and I had been in active conversations since about January of '07."

Fox's contract ran out a year before the rest of the cast because of a tradition. "[E]very couple of years, people put in for a raise," she said. "And a couple of years ago everybody put in for a raise, and I decided not to take the raise that was offered me. And If I had taken that raise, it would've added a year to my contract. I'm the only one who didn't take the raise." While Fox said that CSI has been a rewarding experience, she explained that, at the time this raise was offered, she was having doubts. After the firing and re-hiring of herself and <font color=yellow>George Eads</font> (Nick Stokes), she was not sure if she wanted to sign up for extra time on the show. "And the raise was terrible, to be frank," she added. "An extra year for that amount of money? No thank you. Thank you very much, it's very flattering, but no thank you."

Despite the fact that Fox is leaving the show, she said that she has enjoyed being a part of the CSI family. "I've been one of the luckiest people in the history of TV getting to play the character of Sara," she said. She particularly enjoyed the storyline between her character and Gil Grissom (<font color=yellow>William Petersen</font>). "I feel like the writers have been extremely generous in terms of giving me a lot to do, especially all the interesting relationship stuff between Sara and Grissom," she said. "I've always had mountains of subtext to do, all under the umbrella of this procedural, which actually made it more fun."

The fate of Grissom and Sara's relationship is up in the air as Fox prepares to exit the show. Executive producer <font color=yellow>Jonathan Littman</font> stated over the hiatus that the storyline between the two would end in season eight. "I can't contradict what one of our producers said, but I can only tell you from my experience, I don't think you're going to get that," Fox explained. "This might sound vain, but the story of Sara and Grissom is a little like a fable. And most great fables don't really have 100 percent resolution."

Fox did not reveal any information about her remaining episodes on the show, but she did speak about how the season is shaping up overall. "There's going to be a wealth of information that we're going to find out about Sara and Grissom in season eight," she said. "We shot five episodes so far, and I think it's going to be a really exciting, interesting season. The writers have done a phenomenal job. There have been so many twists and turns already, and little bombs that we've dropped, I'm already blown away. I'm like, 'Where's this going? We're only in episode five.'"

The full interview can be read at TVGuide.com. Fox's final episode is expected to air on November 9 and is rumored to be titled "Hello, Goodbye".<center></center>

2. fifty8th

fifty8th Victim

I can't begrudge her if she wants to go, I'm just glad they did not kill her off. I'm sure there will be comments about greed but I think in the end th 2004 hiring/firing probably left a bad taste in her mouth and 7 years playing 1 character is a long time, in fact Marge talked about how it gets boring on the Late Late show the other night (don't expect her back next season). In the end I won't be in a hurry to watch CSI without Jorja, maybe an episode or 2 that looks good but not every Thursday, I hope Jorja's last 6 are good ones.

3. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

:rolleyes: I'm a bit peeved that she 'survives' the miniature killer storyline just to leave a few months later. To me that suggests that they won't be killing her off, of course I could be wrong. :p In fact, when someone suggested that 'Hello, Goodbye' was an ominous episode title, and that maybe Sara would leave in it, I was fairly dismissive of their idea. How wrong was I? :lol:

To be honest, I'm mostly annoyed that, after being bored by the storyline and the will she/won't she stuff, we will in fact have to go through it all until November. Talk about drawing it out. :rolleyes:

The article is interesting though, and I don't think it reads particularly positively. So for people who really don't want her to leave, I have to say that it definately seems like it is Jorja's choice and wish to move on to something new. So good luck to her. :) And I guess if she isn't killed off, then obviously every one will be hoping that at some point in the future she can come back! Everyone wins.... Except I will always think that her dying in the MCSK storyline would have been more powerful than this blatant cop out option...

On a different note, she mentions that others have their contracts up at the end of the season (which isn't really news) but it is interesting...I wonder what kind of contract they wanted her to sign to stay on? Because negotiating on your own the year before everyone else probably had its downsides, risks and uncertainties...

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

That's my reaction too. I didn't want the character to die--I like her--but if Jorja was going to leave the show, that would have been the way to do it. Now no matter what happens (unless they do kill her off), it's going to feel anti-climactic. But then, CSI shows don't always handle character deaths particularly well (Speedle on Miami, Aiden on NY), so maybe her leaving alive is the best way to go.

5. _____Skylar

_____Skylar Lab Technician

I really think she should've died. Of course then the shippers would've raised hell, but creatively it was a much better choice to kill her off.

Oh well, good riddance to her. I won't miss her. I barely notice when she's there, except when Grissom starts quoting Shakespeare, then I want to shoot my own foot.

6. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

I hat e she's leaving. After watching the ep it was like OMG she's staying and now well....................it's a big let down. Also maybe the reason for not killing her off is in case she changed her mind & decided to come back or they may invite her back in future eps. You never know. Miami should've done that with speed but that's a whole new ball game there. LOL

7. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

It's slightly annoying that it's been confirmed but not confirmed. I don't keep track of Ausiello much, but I doubt he'd say it was 'confirmed' by multiple reliable sources if it wasn't--if he's wrong too many times, people won't want to believe anything he says, after all. But I wonder if they're going to try to keep the suspense going like they have with the will-she-live-or-die thing, or if they'll make an official-type announcement soon?...

8. pretty_in_pink

pretty_in_pink Lab Technician

That's great: Keep her alive just to send her packing a few months later. :(

But, whatever Jorja decides to do, good luck to her. :)

9. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Exactly, he also said "she probably dies, and hasn't renewed her contract" and notice how Jorja DID NOT deny nor confirm this garbage :mad: I don't believe him, and what would have been the point of last nights ep. they just could have found her dead. and that would have been the end of it, so if she's on till Nov. strange for 3 months! who signs a contract for that short amount of time? it just doesn't add up! I'll wait and see ;)

10. elwood

elwood Victim

It's smart on the producers behalf, keep her alive for the ratings but for her to leave will always be a fantastic opportunity to bring her back when needed, ratings slump end of show. I can see them doing the brooding Grissom for awhile then of course he meets someone and who pops back up.... It's smart.

I hope to see her in some new roles. I'm sure she want's to stretch her acting legs after 8 years of the same role.

11. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Could this just be a publicity stunt from CBS to improve ratings against Grey's Lobotomy?

12. Toots

Toots Pathologist

It would be stupid to kill Sara off. How cliche, and only slightly more soap operish than the current GSR.

I'll miss Sara a lot on the show, but if it takes her leaving to get Grissom back to his old self, then so be it. I like the idea of her leaving on her own accord, and not courtesy of a bullet or car crash. Shades of "The Young and the Restless!"

13. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

:lol: :lol: HILARIOUS..

14. csi007

csi007 Police Officer

Typical! Well I hope Jorja finds work elsewhere. A lot of actors leave successful shows and never get another good gig so I hope that doesn't happen to her.

15. jtbwriter2006

jtbwriter2006 Victim

Here we have one, if not the best written, acted and rated
    CSI episodes ever. Great science combined with strong emotion and team work. Terrific acting..
    And what still is lurking on the CSI sites?

Sigh...I thought all the Sara-haters would have slunk off by now. You've been out-voted, out-numbered, and out-spoken by viewers and posters who choose not to spew bitterness and hate. All for a character and an actor who must be pretty good to tick you all off like this!
    I'm going to be sorry if/when Jorja Fox leaves the show-she's never been the typical "love interest"...like a Jordan Cavanugh she's held her own in a sea of testosterone!
    I hope whatever happens, like the fable JF referred to, Sara and Grissom will continue to exist, just off to one side. Maybe she leaves to teach, and Grissom continues to lead the team..and they have a life together that we don't see!