Season 8: "Dead Doll" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Sep 21, 2007.

1. FoxRox

FoxRox CSI Level Two

Re: "Dead Doll" Discussion **SPOILERS**

About Sara wandering the desert:

1.) She had to get away from the car in case Natalie came back
    2.) She had to make it to higher ground because of the flood and of course to get a good look at where the hell she was.
    3.) Sara is a survivor (as Cath said). Sara always had to make it on her own. With her childhood, would you really trust anyone to come to your rescue? No on ever did before, why would they now? Of course she couldn’t count on that.
    4.) After she took a good look around from the hill she knew she had to get to a road as fast as possible. She was in freaking nowhere-land!

About the arm:
    The flood probably flushed away a lot of sand and stones under the car and relieved some of the preassure of the car on Sara, so she would have had a bit easier to work the arm free.

Just saying. :)

2. Sara4Nick

Sara4Nick Hit and Run

I am talking about the water Natalie was pouring into Sara in the car, that then put her to sleep.

3. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Reminder unless you state you or someone is downloading legally (or from where) it can not be discussed on the boards. ;)

4. gregsandersfan

gregsandersfan Pathologist

I thought it was done interesting with the flashbacks. I didn't expect so much Sara action, and was glad that we didn't only get to see her under the car for the whole episode and also that she was able to get out from under the car by herself.

There were some weak points as well though. For example Grissom's very unscientific behaviour. He saw it in Natalie's eyes that she completed the miniature? That is not the Grissom who always wanted hard evidence.

Also, it seems obvious that the first thing they'd do, would be to find out where Natalie got the Mustang from and how it was brought into the desert since that was actually their *biggest* clue... but they didn't look into that before the next day.

The cut from the rainy night to the day was odd anyway, and also somewhat anti-climatic in relation to Sara's possible drowning. At first we see her under the car, the water rising more and more at night, and then we're on the next day, bright sunshine, Brass finally finding out where the Mustang was brought to. There was also a bit too much wandering around in the desert which seemed stupid anyway.

I can understand that Sara walked away from the car at night when it was still raining, although it would have been smarter to stay near it, but during the day she should have waited in the shadow somewhere... maybe it was because she was disoriented, but it seemed a bit of a stretch in order to extend the search for her since she was out from under the car pretty quickly.

In the whole, an exciting episode, but I'd really like it, if the Crime Scene Investigators get a little better at *investigating* again. And more Greg. :p

ETA: FoxRox, good reasons why Sara walked away from the car. :)

5. dyneemo

dyneemo Civilian

6. S_Bright

S_Bright Police Officer

So both her arms were practically stuck? I totally missed that and it explains the sling! Thank you.

Nick being jealous= has everybody already forgotten the original GD - he went through something like this himself ( allthough GSRers will say that being buried alive is nothing near as traumatic as being lost in the desert) *teases* - why wouldn't he feel for Sara? He is a very empathetic guy. Jeaousy? Where did that come from?

Is this just the wisjful thinking that every guy on CSI is pining for Sara? Or was thhere any other indication? :confused:

7. csiviper

csiviper Witness

OMG, I saw it and I felt like crying specially the part where her bone breaks,its so sad, Thank God she is ok and the best part is that next week she and Grissom get interrogated by Ecklie.

8. wlk68

wlk68 Pathologist

I also posted this over at TWOP so, for those of you who also hang out there, this will probably look familiar:

I am of two completely different minds about this episode. On one hand, there were a bunch of things I liked about it. But on the other hand, there were a bunch of things I disliked or thought were just plain stupid. How can two such opposite opinions exisit simultaneously in my brain? Eh....who cares, they just do.

What I liked:

I liked Nicky's little meltdown/flashback at Natalie's place. He out of all of them would be able to identify with Sara's plight. I hope they explore that in a later eppy somehow. have the two of them have a conversation about coping after bieng kidnapped, etc. I can also appreciate his worry that he won't be able to reciprocate by saving Sara after she helped save him. It's very appropriate that Nick be the one to find the Big Clue (the towing yard phone #) AND be the one to spot the mirror reflection in the desert. And at the shallow end of the pool: I love that Nicky is once again sporting hair. I really didn't like the buzzed/shaved look he had.

I am not a huge fan of Sara nor do I care for the GSR but I did enjoy watching her handling of this situation. She really impressed me. She kept her cool and did everything she could to escape. Someone mentioned the car-fu...WORD! The removing of the speaker, the reaching through to open the back seat, etc. She tried to bond with Natalie and reason her way out of things. MacGuyver, eat your heart out.

I really liked Sara's comment to Natalie about not liking trunks because she usually only finds one thing in them. Heh!

Having just gushed, I do have a bunch of nitpicks about some of the stuff she did which will show up in my "dislikes" below.

Love me some Brass! He kicked ass in the tow yard. Is he sporting a new, shorter do? And was that a Mustang he was driving? Dude!!!

The actress who played Natalie did a very good job of bringing the freaky/scary. I was certainly convinced.

What I disliked (aka my laundry list of nitpicks):

At the beginning they mention that Sara's car is in a parking garage at a mall. The security guard recognizes her because she goes there several times a week to eat at "the veggie place" before she heads into work. If she's not on shift and is there eating dinner, why on earth would she be wearing her vest and carrying around her CSI case? Wouldn't she lock them in her trunk or keep them in her locker at work? I mean, that's where we ALWAYS see them changing for work. Not really sure this has any bearing on the story but it bugged the heck outta me. What, does she bring it with her when she does her grocery shopping, too?

Gee, Grissom, of course the little miniature is going to stop working if you pour water on it. It's a motor attached to a battery. It's gonna short out. It's not indicative of anything related to the real Sara. Sheesh!

I totally didn't buy the using of the tazer barb to undo the zip-tie restraint. With her hands fastened behind her back while being bounced around in the trunk of a moving car she manages to insert this barb into a tiny space and move a piece of metal thats maybe 1/8 of an inch square???? Um, no. That don't fly.

Add me to the list of people who thought she was wrong to go wandering off after she escaped from the car. If she was with it enough to fasten herself some headgear and a sling out of her blouse as well as build those little "I went this way" thingies, she's not disoriented enough to wander off in a daze.

Then there's the whole "I don't know if Natalie is coming back" thing. Just move far enough away to where you can see the car but not be seen by Natalie if she comes back. The big red car is a heck of a lot easier for search and rescue teams to spot in the desert than one lone person on foot.

Since Sara did decide to strike out on her own, and she does live in a desert area, you would think she would know the right way to go about this. Especially since, in her line of work, she sees the results of people making these kinds of mistakes all the time. You don't move during the heat of the day. You find some shade and do your walking at night or in the early morning hours before the heat gets too bad. You also don't breathe through your mouth because you lose more moisture that way. I kept noticing that her mouth was open the entire time she was wandering. It drove me bonkers.

In that huge expanse of desert, Sara comes across a trail map???? Highly, highly improbable. I don't buy it.

I know there's other nitpicky stuff I'm forgetting but I think you get the idea.....

I'm looking forward to seeing the fallout of the whole GSR thing...of which I am not a fan.

9. Missing

Missing Pathologist

All I could say after the show was "I waited 3 months for this?" I was very disappointed. There was just too much buildup for this.

I really didn't expect the science part to come into that much play as it was a GSR shipper episode. They wanted to focus on Sara and her plight.

I too thought that she should have stayed with the car, as it is highly visible. Yes I suppose she thought Natilie would come back but being Sara you think she would do an ambush on her if she did. She is a fighter not to give up.

Grave Danger was different in the fact that it caught us off guard. Well at least it did me. This we knew was coming so I suppose we expected more out of that hour.

I will still be watching and hope that next week which looks interesting will start off the season better.

10. Nomate

Nomate Police Officer

Hey, keen observations wlk68!

11. GSRLUVER

GSRLUVER Lab Technician

This is only a small thing, but Sara was doing her math right in her head. She kept doing two equations, 3 times 4 is 12 which it is and 5 times 4 is 20 which it is as well. I can't remember who said that she was doing her math wrong, she wasn't.

I just wanted to clear that up! :)

Another interesting thing that I noticed about the episode, is that they said Sara was 35. I thought it said in her character biography that she was turning 39 this year which is the same age as Jorja Fox. Since Sara is younger, does that mean that Grissom is probably closer to 50 than William Petersen's real age of 54 that's also posted in his character bio?

12. ginascar

ginascar Rookie

The math thing really made me laugh. Along with that thing she put on her head. I love Sara, I really do, but I laughed a lot during this episode.

I liked the episode and I was very happy with the way it ended, but I would have prefered to see more of the team and be left in the dark with where Sara was.

It was like The Journey of Sara Sidle which is cool, but I like seeing and feeling what the team is going through more leaving more story for us to learn later through the season.

13. GSRLUVER

GSRLUVER Lab Technician

Maybe we'll get to see some scenes of them reacting through flashbacks in the next couple of episodes. The way the premiere and the promos were done with flashbacks, it makes me think that flashbacks may be popular this season with this most likely being the last season.

14. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

But, frankly, since you admitted that you didn't watch, you can't know that. Shakespeare only had one original play - The Tempest. Is anyone going to say that because he mimicked old stories that he was suddenly a hack? It's not whether the story is original or not - it's whether it's told well.

And the consensus among many people who did actually watch the episode was that it was good.

And also, again - where was the massive GSR? Where was the great amount of romance? This episode was about Sara vs. the Desert. Except for Grissom riding in the chopper and holding her hand, and him flashing back to an earlier episode, it was almost completely GSR-free.

15. csiviper

csiviper Witness

Do you people know that in TV Guide Magazine it said that GSR was bye bye, Im like totally worried about it.