Grade 'Can You Hear Me Now?'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Sep 26, 2007.

1. IronCastles

IronCastles Hit and Run

B+. Lindsay kept mostly out of the way, which always makes for a better epi, in my opinion.

The Statue of Liberty...unfortunately, after the initial impact, that high drama kind of fell as flat as yesterday's souffle. You have some whacko defacing what many would consider the premier American landmark, and I just didn't really buy the reasons behind that particular choice.

Mac's "333" thing...too early to call. His trend of dressing more casually with each passing season continues--remember, he wore a suit and tie the whole of season 1?--which kind of cast his grimmer mood into high relief in comparison to the lighter fare of the past seasons.

I'm not sure whether this is good or not. Sometimes when TPTB try to lighten it up, they go overboard, which really doesn't suit the NY gang. Season 2 is a great example. The first half was Vegas Lite: trying to outdo itself with more and more exotic crimes. The second got back to the grittier roots of the first season and was, in my opinion, much more affecting and better plotted (some missteps like "All Access" being noted, of course.)

Season 3 was far less bipolar, so I hope that trend continues in season 4. However, I'm suspicious of TPTB starting some more dramatic plot arcs: Mac's 333, other spoilery hints. They have a strange inability to maintain continuity after the climax of the situation. We'll see.

I liked that the motive wasn't just bored rich people killing each other for the most moronic reasons. But why didn't this guy try, say, threats and extortion first instead of moving straight to torture and murder to elicit confessions? Or hell, even appealing to their better natures with a massive guilt trip before crossing to the dark side?

In between the "stunt casting" of the Statue of Liberty and the leap of logic in the actions of the suspect, it just didn't hit all the right notes for me. Solid but not spectacular.

2. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

She's as English as I am American. :p

OK, so this episode was pretty good. Obviously it started badly, with the bizarre new opening credits, which are just weird and wrong. And also with Mac getting a call from Flack when he's on the plane. Very strange (and since when can you see that Statue of Liberty out of the plane window anyway?)

I'm not sure why but the case in this episode did play out rather strangely, somehow it wasn't what I expected and seemed a little bit disjointed. To be honest, with this one I probably need to watch it again and concentrate more on the content, I was a little too excited by the whole new season thing to fully focus on the case. :p

I agree with what Fay said about Kendall. She does seem a bit off. I'm not sure what it is, but I found her difficult to understand as if she wasn't quite speaking up. ;) Although I managed to get through her scenes by squeeing somewhat at Adam! He is just so adorkable, and he had by far my favourite line of the episode "must. fight. crime." :lol: So cute. I found the idea of them just waking up half naked quite believable actually, but the interaction in the lab wasn't quite so good, I think he definately carried her through the episode so I'm wondering how well she will fare without him by her side?

As for Danny and Lindsay, I didn't have a problem with them. Although with her just being in the lab she didn't really seem to feature that heavily in the episode. And unless I missed something, there was very little point to the spray on condom nonsense other than to have some sort of cute scene between Danny and Lindsay. Actually Sheldon played that scene well, with his genuine look of confusion over why or what the point of a spray on condom would be! And I have to say Danny did not look like he was planning to try it out any time soon. Both Danny and Sheldon had a definate look of scientific distrust in the new latex technology! :lol: I did like Lindsay's phone call to Adam though. (Oh, and a quick google search for 'spray on condom' does suggest that this technology had indeed been developed by the Germans, although I'm not personally sure how commercially successful it will be).

Obviously I adored Flack, he is fantastic. I loved him walking out of the room a couple of times and coming back with more questions. And he is a beautiful man. :D

Most comments seem to be quite positive about Mac's 3.33 phone calls, but I am not usually one to be impressed by long drawn out storylines. I hope it leads to something interesting, but I found it mostly annoying and detracting. Would it be so difficult for Mac to just have had a couple of weeks off without having to be pursued by strange mystery callers? :rolleyes:

I'm going to grade this a B, to be honest it was good, but it's probably not an episode I would want to watch that many times. And trust me, I can watch some episodes over and over again.... but I may watch this once more just to see Adam win the competition of the geeks. :)

3. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Well you see, Mac is simply too smart to think of that :p

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

That was Alison Sudol, aka A Fine Frenzy. :)

I thought so. :p

Yeah, you'll need to. I know I had to. Even then, I think I missed some stuff until people pointed it out on here. :lol:

ZOMG SHELDON WAS THERE?!?! ;) :p

I know! I'll be glad to see him around more this season (unless he's always dragging his bottom jaw on the floor as he trails Kendall through the lab. :p)

5. Carrieattheprom

Carrieattheprom Lab Technician

Meh.

Why did they screw up Baba O'Reily? Like somebody else said at first I thought it had been done to make room for AJ and Robert but noo-ooo. Aparently it was done to make it more "cool" and "hip" :rolleyes:

Thank you for remembering the show takes place in New York writers! Sometimes I think you forget. While the blood on the Staute of Liberty makes for grest shock value couldn't the killer have chosen any location to get the police's attention? With that much blood it wouldn't have been hard.

That is one messed up killer, embalming someone alive. Got to give the writers points for creativity.

What the heck was up with that floating fake blood? At least Sid's new toy is actually real. This just took me out of the story.

Lindsay's new haircut is cute. She didn't grate on my nerves too badly this time.

Why is it always Mac who gets the drama? Why can't Flack be getting the strange phone calls? Or Hawkes? Or maybe even Sid? It would be intersting to see how he would deal with such a thing considering he's rather strange himself. Even more interesting to know who and why.

6. Brklyn

Brklyn Civilian

i didn't like the opening credits. They showcase just two actors and it seemed to me that the rest was just supporting crew. They didn't do that with Vegas or Miami. I just didn't like it.

7. vexus

vexus Pathologist

You would have thought that he would have learned that everytime it's 3:33 to not answer the phone.

8. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^Kinda what I was thinking!

And then I picture the creep sitting there hitting redial going, "Dammit, Taylor, pick up your phone!!!" :lol:

9. catwarfan

catwarfan Police Officer

Overall it was an really good episode. I gave it a B+. The main case was predicatable for me but the case continuing with Mac has me intrigued which is what bumped up this episode for me. It kept me interested and I can't wait to see more episodes this season.

O.k. the new opening credits threw me. I was shocked when I saw them. The music well I think they need to work on that a bit more. It didn't quite sound right but hey I'll take it to see new pics of the cast.

I love all the new high tech toys that CSI NY has. Someone is spending bucks on this show. I loved the virtual brain that Sid was working with. Then then scene when they slowed down the blood drops as Mac was figuring out how they fell. That was very cool. That scene reminded me of last seasons "Hung Out To Dry" and Mac putting the puzzle together.

Nice to see Adam getting some lovin' after the horrors he faced in "Snow Day". It was cute watching him and Kendal play off of each other trying to one up each other throughout the episode. It added some humor.

The predictable part was the boyfriend or super when Stella saw him and the old case. I had him pegged as being the main player. I also saw the note with the pianist so I knew that she was the last witness. I figured someone was trying to tell Stella about the old case when it was mentioned.

I will say I liked the idea of a murder being at the Statue of Liberty for CSI NY. I though how appropriate was that. Loved Danny hanging outside the window in the climbing gear. That pic was kind of cool.

The main case was the appetizer for me if that makes sense. The one that I'm intrigued about and want to know more about is Mac and the 3:33 reference with the phone calls. I'm very intrigued as to what that is all about. I have some ideas but I can't say here. I definitely want to know what is up with Mac.

Overall the writers did a really good job.

10. ClarkF1

ClarkF1 Hit and Run

After an unplanned trip to hospital (nothing serious), I managed to see this ep.

I enjoyed it......Adam with his gf was funny. I liked the one-upmanship in the lab and that Stella caught on to it.

I also liked the spray-condom thing....that was really funny.

As for the 3:33 person, I wonder if it's connected to the guy who got blown up at the end of last season.

Anyway, it got an A- from me. It would have been better but I guessed who it was, basically because they showed his face (although it was under a balaclava), during a flashback.

Being stuffed it a kettle drum was a new one, I'll have make sure my mate checks his percussion instruments carefully before playing them next time :D

The only down side was the new credits - imagine if they remixed Who Are You? The new music sucks.......I wonder what The Who think of it. If I was them I'd revoke the rights to use it.

Oh well, off now to watch the CSI:LV premiere.

11. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

My review is way too long for a post here and it includes screencaps. :lol: Anyways, if anyone's interested in taking a look at it, it's here.

12. garysloveslave

garysloveslave Dead on Arrival

i loved the episode, and the opening credits are much better now. it has a more upbeat sound to it. :D

13. Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes Lab Technician

Call me a weirdo but I found it strangely erotic to see Danny talking about sperm.... :devil:

14. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

I'm glad somebody pointed that out because I totally forgot about it last night but as soon as I heard it I immediately thought it sounded wrong. That's Danny's line so please leave it to him, who also delivers it a lot better. :D

Well, you actually can, but from a far, far distance. Definitely not that close but hey, that's CSI, remember? ;)

15. Annwn

Annwn Rookie

Thanks for that, it'll be some time before we get the new series.
    So, if it's the 'middle of the night' in NY, it's unlikely to be 'breakfast' in London. The 3:33 in NY could be - London is 5 hours ahead of NY. Of course, I suppose it depends on what time you have 'breakfast'