The Official Pets thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by GilGrissomCSI, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PintSizeGenius

PintSizeGenius Lab Technician

So sorry for your loss, Calihan. :(

2. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

allmaple, your rats are really cute, I wanted rats too when I was little but then I found out how much work a simple hamster is and got rid of the idea...

Calihan, I'm sorry to hear about your loss, I know it is very upsetting to lose a pet you loved.

So, here are some new pictures of my kitty, I'm so infatuated, I could spend all day photographing him =)

Isn't he just adorable, sleeping like a baby?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Pathologist

MiaCharlize, your cat is adorable! :)
    It reminds me of one cat I had, who slept in my pillow...

4. Patricia

Patricia Lab Technician

5. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

For cat and dog owners, I was just reading something on CNet, the site that tests and reviews most things electronic.

'Meowlingual' claims to translate cat-speak

There are a fair number of gadgets on the market that are aimed at controlling dogs, perhaps owing to that best friend's reputation for occasional unruliness. Yet there are relatively few technologies designed specifically for their feline counterparts (with one notable exception, of course),

In an effort to rectify that disparity, Japan's Takara Tomy has developed what it calls a "Meowlingual Cat Translation Device," which, as its name implies, is designed to decipher what kitty is trying to convey when destroying the living room furniture. It sounds too kooky to be true, but Inventor Spot says it's supposed to work by just hearing the cat's sounds and then providing a human translation. The $75 Meolingual device is a successor to a "Bowlingual" version for dogs, according to the BBC.

Not everyone here at Crave is a pet owner, but some of us are anxiously awaiting the development of one of these for teenage children.

CNet Crave Column

6. allmaple

allmaple Judge

MiaCharlize, rats are awesome! im sure theyd be no more work than a hamster ;) and i photograph my cat any chance i get too. case in point:

i couldnt find her the other day, which is odd because when shes outside shes really good at staying on the patio.
    when something on the windowsill caught my eye
    what are you looking at over there pixie?
    do you want to eat that chippy on the other window??
    guilty face!!! :lol:

and i dont need a translator for pix, its pretty easy to tell which meow is 'im pissed' 'why did you stop petting me' and 'oh look at the pretty bird outside, i want to eat it' :lol:

7. babylon5girl

babylon5girl Hit and Run

8. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

Holy ****! Spiders! OMg how do you do that? I can't even hold the little mini ones! The pics are really life like too! Although I'm strangely addicted to clicking, I kind of like being scared. OMG it's eating? WTF is it eating? How does it eat? Does it have proper teeth and what not? What about saliva? How does it digest stuff like that, does it have like the same as us, just smaller and creepier? OMG too many legs.
    27. years. old. :eek: Woah jesus, I though they only lived like a few weeks, like butterflies and the like. What about house spiders and things, do they live that long? Or is it just the ones with the knees?
    I'm all jumpy, I keep seeing spiders. Great I have to go to bed now.
    How do you handle them without the flick reflex? I try it, when I'm being brave (money spiders of course), and my hand just flicks straight away. Do you have to stop yourself from doing that, or do you not have that problem?
    Do spiders...excrete? They must do, every creature does, I know my Mrs Gren rule. Is it like hamster poo?
    Maybe I'm just scared of them because I don't know much about them.
    Why do they have so many eyes too? Can each one only look in a certain direction, so they need many so they can dodge the slipper? :rolleyes:
    I don't think I have any more questions. No wait, one more. Do they lay eggs, or do the nasty, or some other creepy spidery way of creating creepies. OMG now I have visions of 16 legs doing the nasty. Mother of...

For the record I'm fine with snakes and things, it's just spiders. Oh and you know, sharks.

9. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

It is very hard to lose pets. The only pets I have ever owned are leopard geckos. I lost my first one and the second one died, the third one got reall sick and i gave it to a worker at the reptile store to get her healthy. I don't know how she is. I have only had three leopard geckos.

10. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I had a Black labrador dog but he died 4 months ago. It would have been his 14th birthday on Sunday. I miss him very much. :(

11. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

calleighspeedle sorry about your dog. I had some one say to me years ago that it doesn't make it any easier the longer you've had your pet. 14 years for a Lab is a good age.

It's been a while since I posted some pics of our cats but I thought I'd share a few with you that were taken this evening. We were making dinner and trying to set the table outside but we had some help

Oliver and Thomas Oliver is the orange cat
    Riley was supervising
    Thomas was wondering where his place setting was :lol:

As you can see our house is run by the cats :) There are 4 of them but the 4th is very camera shy and when I tried to take her picture she ran away.

12. Calihan

Calihan Captain

calleighspeedle my dog died earlier this month so I know your pain. If you want to chat PM me.

13. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Maybe Thomas was waiting for the Catsup.

14. SpeedsDaughter

SpeedsDaughter CSI Level One

My dog was killed in a car accident a few months ago... I miss him a lot. Thankfully I still have his brother to get me through those rough patches. I'll post some pictures of both of them at some point :)

15. babylon5girl

babylon5girl Hit and Run

I'm sorry about your dog SpeedsDaughter I lost my 12 yr old border collie about this time last year and I still miss him ALOT.

Okay eggbe4thechicken I'll try to answer some of your questions:

I only like big spiders, the little ones creep me out 2.*Shudder* It's eating a cricket, I mostly feed mine crickets. Sometimes I'll feed them a roach just to change things up for them. Tarantulas have fangs just like other spiders, and no real saliva to speek of. Tarantulas have stomachs just like most creatures and they digest stuff the normal way.

Maria (the 27 yr old one) is a Mexican redknee tarantula that is know for its gentle nature long lifespan, which can get up to 35 years. It is one of the more common tarantulas due to those reasons...She's my favorite :D

Handling is a subject that varies. Some types of tarantulas are know for being good handling tarantulas and some are downright mean. Most of mine are the gentle kind. The sex of a tarantula matters in how gentle it is. And each one is differant in temperment, which plays the biggest part. You just get used to having them in your hand. The first time you hold one it is really frightening. but they dont mosve alot so you quickly get used to it. They have very soft fur on them and are at room temprature so tis not that bad.

Tarantulas do excrete. They dont do it alot so you really dont have to clean up after them much at all. Its more like a few drops of dried white milk on the side or floor of the cage.

They have 8 eyes like most spiders and that gives them nearly 360 degree vision. I have to aadmit its a little disturbing that they can see me no matter where a stand near them. I try not to think about that too much :D :lol:

They do the nasty and then lay eggs. Tarantulas can have LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of babies. One of mine is pregnant now and I'm going to have a ton of little spiders in a few months.

Hope that answers your questions!
    I might post some more pictures of a few more of my Tarantulas later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.