Why Lindsay REALLY Must Go (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KellyGirl

KellyGirl Prime Suspect

Hey all, I'm in the UK too and I was wondering if we we're getting there yet :D WOOOO maybe we can get someone to persuade Anna motherhood is her calling :devil:... I stopped watching CSI NY for a bit purely because Lindsay was getting on my nerves :mad:

2. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

Well this is my first time posting here and hopfuly this will make some sense.

I was reading something over at the pro-Lindsay/Anna thread and someone said something along the lines of how Anna acting was fine it's just the way Lindsay is supossed to be played. So if Anna's acting is bad it's simply Lindsay's personality.

In my opinion that just seems like a really bad excuse. It like saying *grabs random example* Say you in a huge musical and you had this showstopping number but there was one part of the song that was out of your range and you just can't sing it the way it's supposed to be but you still try (dispite how bad it may sound). Then you decide that singing that part all blah and all is just the way your character would do it. When truth be told you as the performer just CAN'T do it. Sorry if that was a tad confusing.

Also earlier on in this thread I was reading how some of you didn't really like the fact that she got Hill to put in a good word for her with TPTB. Personally that doesn't bother me THAT much. It is the entertainment business and if you have a connection, you use it if you can. Dispite the fact that sometimes you may not be the perfect person for the role.

3. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

I guess i kind of understand that. If you have a way to get something you want, you use it to your advantage. i think the main problem with Hill putting in the good word for her is that Anna told everyone about it, drawing even more attention to the fact that she wasnt picked for her acting skills first, but for the fact that someone put in a good word.

4. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Ding!

Ya got it.

5. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

WhosLaughingNow, I'm right there with you. It's like she doesn't even try. There's no effort in her performance...it's like she's just going through the motivations. Part of it could be a lack of talent, but part of it is definitely a lack of effort, which is insulting when you see how much effort the rest of the cast puts into it.

And I don't fault her for getting help to get a job. That's how the business works--now that I've worked in it for almost a year, I definitely see that. But if someone helps you get a job, then you bust your ass to show that person was right to recommend you. I just don't see her doing that.

6. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

I completely agree with you both. There really was no need to tell everyone that you got help getting the part. Just show the person that what they did was a good idea on their part. I mean you get on a show like CSI NY you work your ass off either way.

Also I need to get this out. When she cries, it honestly reminds me of me when I’m crying on stage……………….while doing sketch comedy. See the ugly, über fake cry works in comedy when used at the right moment. You get a laugh. If you’re getting the same reaction on a TV drama, that’s probably not the best sign. Or, if it’s just uncomfortable and awkward to watch. That’s not great either.

Wow it’s nice telling all this to people who don’t respond with “Yeah, I know she’s not a great actor and I know she really doesn’t have much chemistry with the other actors but she looks soooooooooooooo cute with Danny. She should stay”. True story.

7. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

One of many reasons I'd never make it in Hollywood is that I despise the idea of getting places via 'connections'. :rolleyes: I'd much rather see the jobs go to the people who are best suited for them, whether it be actors, writers, or whoever else.

Fay fails at the Hollywood game.

I'm glad I found TalkCSI before venturing elsewhere.

8. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

That and simply because they writers just have crappy material for her. TPTB said it themselves, that Lindsey has Danny to support her character. After two seasons, she still cannot stand as a character on her own.

I think the "Danny's there to support Lindsey as a character" comment was just an excuse of the writers for the D/L canonization. They were (are) so sold to the idea that it might've gone so far out of hand. Now, they're trying to mend it by giving excuses as to why they pushed these two together so soon and so irrationally.

9. LivingEnd

LivingEnd Lab Technician

That strikes me as kinda weird… How can two actors have zero chemistry with each other but their characters are cute together? :rolleyes:

As it has been said again and again before Anna’s acting skills are limited; but I would expect that when you are on the same job for a while, and she is on the show for two years now, your work kind of improves. I think in any job people expect you to become better with the time.
    Honestly I see no improvement in Anna’s work over the last two years. I don’t know if that is a total lack of talent or the lack of afford from her side. On every other job you probably would have been kicked out…

I thought about her dark secret storyline and was wondering if maybe it was rushed because the writers actually saw that Anna wasn’t able to pull it off. Maybe they thought it would be better to get rid of this train wreck of a storyline and move on? Just so that we hadn’t suffer to another season of awfully faked crying scenes and stuff?

The idea wouldn’t have been that bad if they hadn’t shove her into this pseudo-relationship with Danny… :rolleyes:

10. chaostheory08

Her acting stops cold when you look into her eyes. It doesn't really transcend through her eyes. *That's* my main problem about her.

Plus, Lindsey really doesn't have a place at all in the show. Take the finale for instance, she was soooo useless that Flack was outright ignoring her.

11. poison girl

poison girl Pathologist

All the actors are involved with their characters, they get into them and reflect what they have to say, but Lindsay is a mere bot that looks like she's really reading a line while she's thinking about how many lemons sha have to buy for an apple pie (yeah, I know apple pies are not made with lemons)

She's inconsistent, and loses everything if there isn't anybody to support her in the scene, adn even then, she's completly lousy. Let's remember (although we should really forget it) the scene about the flower in What schemes may come. She's only explaining a legend that gave the name to a flower, but she made it really bad and neither the actors behind her could do anything to bring up that scene.

12. chaostheory08

I remember "Zoo York" Lindsey. She tackled a guy and she had this hard edge to her -- in a way that she's at least *trying* to be this toughchick from the midwest.

Later on... (when she "bumped" into Danny in that same episode) everything started to fall apart and "Danny" became "her story". Her main story line description became Danny's third leg. Bah!

One more thing... what happened to the "mothers" issue? One moment, she "doesn't work well with mothers" -- that seemed like a promising storyline for her character. The next second, her story became the Katum guy. Totally unrelated and even unfinished. Katum was halfbaked, was just written to compensate Anna's maternity leave. It wasn't very convincing to begin with.

13. CrimeShark

CrimeShark Pathologist

Maybe TPTB were pushing the D/L stuff and that they had some crappy material for her, but she could have at least tried to make it work. Look at Melina for instance. I thought that whole Frankie storyline was chauvinistic, the one with her possibility contracting AIDS unbelievable, and the one with her former foster 'sister' somewhat too convenient. But Melina sold those stories. She made Stella relatable even with all the crap she's going through, and I felt for her. Lindsay didn't even come close. It's like she couldn't even be bothered. And to be honest, having a dark secret and a possible romance with the star of the show isn't exactly crappy stuff, it could have been so much more. But I just didn't buy it.

14. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I don't know about all that, but I find it interesting that they didn't even advertise that Lindsay would be back in "Sleight Out of Hand" and that her dark secret would be revealed--it was the last episode of sweeps, wasn't it? And not only that, but she had been absent in the three(?) previous episodes. So it was her return to the show and the revelation of her big storyline--All I remember them saying in any of the commercials was that Cris Angel(sp?) was going to be there.

Once her role of love-interest was expired for the episode, it turned into 'stand with Peyton and Sid,' 'stand with Flack'--more like it was about having her merely present rather than being relevant to the scenes she was in. And when she finally got a point again, it was only at the end when she could have a scene with Danny (and I'm not going to mention her dragging an injured man and talking about herself when the EMS could have come to him--ok, I guess I did mention it). :rolleyes:

Urg. Everybody has lines that make me cringe (I don't remember what it was, but Hawkes had one in an episode I was watching recently and it made me a sad bunny), but that whole scene was just eye-twitchingly bad. Something about the way she was saying it, and about the smiles on everybody else's faces, didn't do it for me. If Hawkes had told the story, everyone would just roll their eyes and ask if he ever went on dates (what with him being an 'encyclopedia of tidbit information' according to Mac in season 2 ;)). With Lindsay it just...made me not want to watch the scene. Dunno, maybe it's just me...

They were supposed to be tied in--she couldn't deal with mothers because she'd seen her friends' mothers after they got killed--which, honestly, doesn't make a lick of sense. She said she could deal with fathers all day long, but I sure as hell saw a grieving father in that courtroom scene. How is it just the mothers she can't deal with? :rolleyes:

True. I guess it's the shoddy handling of both that make them seem less than they could have been.

I still can't figure out how the writers could drop the ball with Lindsay so many times--we've seen them do amazing things with other characters, and their job is not an easy one. So why is it consistently Lindsay that we find issues with? Sure, there are problems with other characters, but never this many over such a long period...

15. privatename

privatename Rookie

Faylinn said:

I really don't like Lindsay and I don't think it is the writing or the story lines she has that are the problem. However, if the writers have dropped the ball with respect to Lindsay perhaps it is excusable -- would you do your best work or put a ton of effort into something if you knew without a doubt that it wasn't going to be handled properly by the actor? Maybe they realize that Anna is not a strong actor or they don't like how she plays Lindsay and so they don't want to waste a lot of time and energy doing their best work for her character when there are so many other actors on the show that will do justice to their best efforts. Just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.