Should models fatten up?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by wibble, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Joolz

Joolz Police Officer

As a Mom of 5 kids ranging in ages from 20 to 2 this obsession with waiflike figures is a little worrying to me. I've never been skinny, never been obsessed with weight issues and as such my elder girls are very comfortable with their own bodies. The eldest would like to lose a little weight, but she's not gonna beat herself up about it and is confident and happy. The next girl is 15 and into the usual fashion stuff, she's best described as curvy and doesn't really need to lose any weight, just not put a whole lot on. She healthy, enjoys sports and the more than occasional donut...lol. What I'm trying to say is that whatever your shape or weight, as long as YOU'RE happy in it, there's no problem....
    It just saddens me to see some of these models....happiness is one thing they don't seem to be able to grasp

2. Depth-Of-Love

Depth-Of-Love Lab Technician

That is so true! Gosh, moms are so smart! I mean i have a little sister, she is 13 and she insists she is fat (even though no one else thinks so) and i constantly worry about her, i meean i know being bullyed about stupid things is basically part of junior high but i mean come one!! its not fair to bully someone because of there sizze. Its just not. And ya, i do with models were a little bigger. I mean it scares me to see that my sisters idols are stick thin. Its just...weird.

3. animequeen23

animequeen23 Witness

HELL YEAH! Models should fatten up!!! It really sux watching stick-insects walk down the runway, and then normal girls deciding they are too fat! It is a really sad fact of life...

Come to think of it, i was reading an article about wether clothes look better on a stick-thin model or an average sized model (they also showed examples) and the normal model is waaaaaaay better! Designers should learn that stick-thin is not cool and start designing for and choosing normal sized models!!!

4. gsrLOVE

gsrLOVE Pathologist

I certainly think models should "fatten" up. It's not just the girls who walk the catwalk, either. It's celebrities in general. You look at a gorgeous woman on your T.V - she looks healthy (She likely is..) her weight looks "not that skinny" and as if she has a perfect body.. Yet you look a picture of her and she looks STICK THIN! You can think "Wow, my hand would probably wrap around her leg!" that's certainly scary.

Young girls who are just entering high school, who are becoming self-concietous, entering puberty - feel they are not attractive, that they are too "fat" because some wannabe model that walks beside them is a size TWO! "Well, I better binge, maybe I should stick my hand down my throat.. OBVIOUSLY being anorexic, being unattractively skinny makes me beautiful".

I've never had that problem - sure I look at girls every now and then, and think "Gosh, I wish I was that skinny". While I don't think I am overwieght my self - I can definitely feel for those who do. The media isn't all hyped up to be - and the poor girls who starve themselves, just to be able to walk down a run way wearing the hottest brand dress and clothing - I really feel bad for them, especially since more and more young females are entering into it.

There are some celebrities, and models who take care of their bodies though. Working out, eating a healthy diet is a great thing. There are where they want to be, because they wanted it.

You get what you settle for.

5. Dardeile

Dardeile CSI Level One

Call me when it happens.

I agree with you all, size 0 models shouldn't be allowed anymore, especially after what happened.

But it's not fair to blame only the fashion industry.
    I've been bulimic for some time, and I had a hard time coping with it, but I can assure you it wasn't because I wanted to be a supermodel, neither did I want to be on magazines.
    Sometimes it happens because you want to feel like you can control at least one thing in your life, and that's your body.
    If life's a bitch, suddenly the problem is your body, your image, and you stop eating almost sure that if you were thinner everything could be easier.

It's not just about clothes. it's about how you feel inside, and probably "fattening models up" won't be enough. I'm afraid it's a process that has gone too far, it's deep inside the minds of the young ones ( and not only).
    But it would definitely be a good start.

6. korbjaeger

korbjaeger Pathologist

It's true. Gauging from the two "CSI" cast members I've seen in real life, in person they are considerably thinner than they appear on the show. Maybe the old adage about TV "adding five pounds" has something to it because of the curve of the tube? I don't know...I watch on a flatscreen anyway... :lol:

DNA probably helped a little. Bone structure is bone structure. Still, it's true - working out and eating healthy is good for us all. Part of the problem is that "dieting" and exercise are looked upon as punishment for the "sin" of being fat. It should be looked upon as a wonderful favor we're doing for ourselves. Part of the reason a lot of diets fail is that they are a sharp skewing of nutritional intake for what is perceived to be a temporary period. If it's just a more healthy and nutritious form of eating looked upon as a lifestyle change, the paradigms of "success" and "failure" don't put false expectations in our heads. And I'll say it again - exercise should be FUN! That's one area where school phys ed programs fall woefully short. If someone isn't cutting it in soccer or basketball and feels miserable about it, hey - there's always modern dance, tennis, weight training, running, swimming... Just saying, negative attitudes and a sense of "punishment" sabotage many a weight loss plan.

7. animequeen23

animequeen23 Witness

That is so true! I actually know girls at my high-school that think they're fat when in actual fact they are perfectly healthy. They go around moaning about how fat they are and how they don't look like their fave celebrity or model. I've actually seen people go and throw up in the bathrooms after lunch in an effort to become 'thin'. I think that this is really sad because no matter how many times you reassure them, they still think they're fat.
    And I think the media should be blamed for actually allowing pictures of stick-thin celebrities/models to be showen.
    But the actual celebrities are also to blame. They should be able to love their bodies no matter what size they are normally. They should eat healthily and not starve themselves so they become skeletons! Models should also try to actually eat, and not just snack, but normally eat.
    Also some designers are to blame because they just make clothes for very thin people, and I think they should start making clothes for normal-sized people.

It's really sad how images of starving celebrities and models can cause a girl to feel fat. :( They should love themselves for who they are, not what they look like. I know it sounds kind of cliched, but it's true. Everyone should love their body no matter what size they are and they should not look at starving celebs as their models.

8. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i read recently that kiera knightly thinks she needs to gain weight because she found out she is a role model on pro-anorexia websites. a teenaged girl died trying to look like her and the parents blamed kiera. you can see every bone in her body but then on movie posters they fatter her up digitally and add boobs :confused: she has the typical waif model body but then on a poster that advertises all over the world they try to hide that. doesnt make sense to me.

i think that fattening models up doesnt just protect young girls, but the models too. when you watch some of the shows about models, or the girls on talk shows, some of the agents are brutal with the girls telling them to lose weight and get thinner. while the industry may not be responsible for the problems outside, it certainly has responsibility over the problems that occur with the models. its no secret models are dying from being too thin, especially recently. why no one stepped in before that is beyond me.

9. animequeen23

animequeen23 Witness

woah...

Designers are also to blame. I read an article where one designer said that because celebs are getting thinner, they design clothes for thin/small people. They need really thin models to show the clothes off, and the models starve themselves so they can get some work. And so it becomes a vicious circle... :( Taking this into account, i kinda feel sorry for the models sometimes, because they can't escape the modelling world easily...

10. allmaple

allmaple Judge

saw an interesting image comparison on d-listed and thought i would bring this back. when an actress (america ferrera) is very public about being proud of her curves, she is still pushed into the media crazy of thin is pretty.

heres an image comparison of how crazily photoshopped she is on the cover of a magazine:
    picture

even when we know a woman is beautiful without being a stick, the media still wants to distort her body into what is thought to be the right shape. its just stupid, she looks much better as herself in the picture on the right than the freaky photoshop creature on the magazine if you ask me :)

11. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

This is sort of relevant... err kind of.
    Click
    Just watch. It's incredible. Makes you wonder what we're really seeing in the magazines, etc.

12. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

...Holy shit! What the hell!? That's rediculous. No wonder girls starve themselves. They compare them to THAT, and it's not even real!

Dove Real Beauty Commerical. My friend showed that in class for a project. It's insane.

Edit: LOL you beat me. :p I wasn't sure about posting the link. Still confused about the youtube thing. It's crazy.

13. OscarMayerLemur

OscarMayerLemur Police Officer

Yeah, I have a really fast metabolism, too. Most of my friends thought I was anorexic before they met me and saw how I stuff my face. ;)

14. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

I have no idea what a bmi is. :p But I'm 5'11 and I guess I have a fast metabolism because I STUFF my face but I don't gain weight. I was sort of asked to be a model once but I turned it down because of that whole bmi, lose weight, thing. I think I'm fine the way I am. I don't want to be told I'm too fat. :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh and I weigh like 120-123 pounds. LAME. I so wouldn't lose weight.