Miller Dishes Out 'Miami' Info

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Aug 31, 2007.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

<font color=yellow>Corey Miller</font> promises that fans will see Eric Delko (<font color=yellow>Adam Rodriguez</font>) dealing with the aftermath of his brain injury in the sixth season of CSI: Miami.

Miller told <font color=yellow>Sara</font> from the official Yahoo group for Adam Rodriguez that Eric will continue to be affected by the injury he sustained during season five. "This turn of events will affect him for the rest of his life," he said. Being shot in the head changed the character, and Miller said that things can never go back to the way they were before.

"Brain injuries have been called a 'silent epidemic,' with so many people suffering in silence, misunderstood," Miller explained. "What we have been able to learn through our research is that people with these types of brain injuries will never be the same as they once were. With proper medication and care, some semblance of the person's former life may be restored. But they will never look at things the same way again. Completing what used to be mundane tasks may now be a huge struggle. And no two injuries are alike, because the brain is such an amazing, complex organ."

Being a CSI is not an easy job, and it is made even more difficult by the injury that Eric sustained. "[N]ot only will Delko have to try and do a complicated job and do it correctly, he will have physical and emotional effects to deal with as well," Miller said. "Not to mention that a portion of the sniper's bullet still rests in his brain, and could kill him at any moment. There is still a long road ahead of him."

Season five also hinted at a little bit of romance between Eric and Calleigh Duquesne (<font color=yellow>Emily Procter</font>). Miller gave his take on what is--or isn't--going on between them. "We began to think of Calleigh and Eric as a possible couple after Delko was shot," he said. "There are many things that keep people apart romantically, and Calleigh and Eric were always too professional to do anything but occasionally flirt with each other. When Delko was shot, Calleigh was right by his side. And we thought that would be an interesting way to make them closer – because of Delko's brain injury, he may perceive things in a different way. He began to read into everything, and possibly mistook concern for affection."

Miller went on to say that, "just when these feelings could potentially be explored, Calleigh had already begun to see Jake [Berkeley (<font color=yellow>Johnny Whitworth</font>)]. Again, just more potential for drama." Miller wouldn't reveal what might happen in season six, but he did say that "there will be complications. If there weren't, everything would be too easy."

Despite the fact that fans are getting glimpses into the private lives of the characters, Miller said that the "philosophy around here is to treat our characters' personal lives as ongoing mysteries in their own right." They will give hints about what happens after hours, but the show is not going to follow the characters home. "When the first CSI started, the edict was always, 'we don't go home with our characters,'" Miller said. "Meaning: we only get to know the characters through their work. This edict became a rule for all the CSI shows. So the challenge has always been how to have personal stories when you can't see the characters after they clock out for the day." Even though the team will only be shown in a work environment, Miller promised that there was something in store for everyone in season six. "We have come up with some character arcs for all of our people, and hope that by the end of the season they will all have evolved in some fashion," he said.

Miller also spoke about Miami's lead character and his signature mannerisms. "<font color=yellow>David Caruso</font> determined the physicality of Horatio Caine before he shot a frame of film on the CSI crossover – the sunglasses, the body posture, the attitude," he explained. "And it's distinctiveness has given the character an iconic status – like it or not, you won't forget it. That was all deliberate on David's part. We're the number one show in the world right now, and a large reason for that is due to the fact that David has made Horatio Caine a larger-than-life hero, a modern-day Dirty Harry."

One thing that fans have noticed is that Horatio has spent more time being a cop and less time being a CSI over the years. "It is true that Horatio doesn't do as much lab work as he did in early seasons," Miller agreed. "I think that as our show became more action-oriented, Horatio got out of the lab environment more and more. If the need arises, he will process evidence." Miller also talked about other characters on the show, including Alexx Woods. "All of the writers love <font color=yellow>Khandi Alexander</font> and we agree that she was shamefully underused last season. We hope to give her a chance to shine much more this season. She and her character deserve it."

Miller also weighed in on online fan interaction. "I can't tell you that the writers have never seen the message boards," Miller said, "but we do try to stay away from them as a rule, because we need to do what we do without feeling we are somehow being swayed by every random opinion that happens to be the topic of the day." He went on to say that "t's wonderful that people like the show so much that they love to discuss it, but we need to do what we feel is right creatively in the moment."

He also spoke about criticism from both fans and the press. "When you're on a hit show, there's no way to exist in a vacuum," he said. "You're going to hear criticism at some point. Television is a very intimate experience on many levels. People feel closer to characters that they let into their homes week after week, so their opinions can be much stronger about what they do or do not like. Negativity in general is the biggest stumbling block to creativity. We try as hard as we can to see our own show as objectively as possible, and make adjustments as we go. But for the most part, we have to stick with our instincts and then stand by them, right or wrong."

When asked what was in store for season six, Miller wouldn't give away much. "Twenty-four episodes," he said. "And at least twenty-four murders. What, you want more than that? Ha. Hey, I wish I could give away some secrets, but I value my job too much! All I'll say is, like I mentioned earlier, we are going to try and do cases with more personal stakes for our CSIs this season." And where does he see the show in five years? "Hopefully still on the air!"

The full interview can be found on the official Adam Rodriguez Yahoo Group. Thanks to <font color=yellow>Sara</font> for sharing it with us.<center></center>

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

That was a great (and long *lol*) interview. Miller definitely had a lot of really interesting things to say. I'm glad Sara shared it with us! :D

3. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

i think it's amazing that Miami found this perfect balance between show's quality and it's price so that it's the most watched show in the world. personally, i can't stand it. idealized characters, flashy light candy colors, simple cases, no real build up are disabling me to watch it. but if this is the formula to succeed, then i say, continue doing it.

4. Ally

Ally Dead on Arrival

Amen to that! :D

5. CSI_Ali

CSI_Ali CSI Level One

O RLY?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. On the whole, good news and a good interview in general. Thanks for this.

6. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

I'm wondering if this fact is still of statistical relevance. Miami was announced as the most globally watched show over a year ago now, before Season 4 hit many international audiences (outside North America). Just curious.

7. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Yeah, some of these people do love to talk... :lol: A couple of points I'd like to mention:

Hmm, I'm sure I've heard that from another writer recently, when talking about a certain NY pairing.... Interesting how all the writers think alike when it comes to relationships... :p

Surely you jest? :lol: The other CSI shows must have decided to abandon this rule and just go for it, who cares about the lab I want to see the bedroom... :rolleyes:

Ooh, I can help them out with this problem...Have them only date people they work with and then we can see their personal lives all the time...genius plan!! :rolleyes:

I can't even think when I last saw him process any evidence. Interesting, because I hadn't really noticed this, but now it seems obvious, he really doesn't do much lab work at all! I did always see him as more of a cop than a scientist so it actually seems to be a natural progression, there are enough people in the lab analysing the evidence anyway, why not have him stalking the hallways instead? :)

8. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Who cares as long as Super H can find the evidence with his telescopic and microscopic vision. You can have Eric, Calleigh, Ryan, and Tripp standing around a room looking for clues and Horatio will find that one thread that happens to match the color of the carpet.

9. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

Blasphemy! Danny/Lindsay couldn't touch Eric/Calleigh with a 1,200ft javelin that had sprints in it and spikes and rockets and was tied to a jaguar that hasn't eaten in three weeks and the jaguar shoots super bees out of his mouth when he growls and the bees have super sonic speed after being experimented on at NASA and the javelin was thrown at E/C by God himself.

But yeah, the star-crossed lovers being kept apart by fate is getting old. On the other hand, if he really expects Caruso to be playing Horatio at the age of 93 then getting them together this soon might not be wise.

And for the love of God, give Khandi something to do other than take turns yielding the Tits of Justice week after week.

10. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

The last time I saw him in the lab was one ep in S5 if i recall right.

As far as the rest I'm glad to see what they're doing with Erics injury. I thought they went way too fast with it to begin with(putting him back to work)As far as the rest hmmm sounds pretty interesting.(triangles) Guess we'll have to wait & see.

11. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

The man does seem to have super-human eyesight, doesn't he? :rolleyes:

12. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Correct me if I'm wrong but Dirty Harry didn't stand in the middle of a lab babysitting the cast of 90210 and then make a quip to miraculously solve the case.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore Horatio but it's getting to be a little much for my tastes. He definitely has that 'hero' quality but I prefer the 'humble hero' which I haven't seen much of lately.

Halleluja! Please, she needs more than three minutes of screentime. On the other CSI shows, the ME is featured in a fair amount of the episode, why not on Miami?

I have a feeling even if the show lost all of its fanbase, the producers would still cling onto the notion that they're 'on top' and 'Number One' and never admit any differently. So I'm wondering as well where they're getting their numbers from. :confused: The popularity of the show is undoubtly higher than any other program at the moment because it's so well-known across the globe but I have a hard time believing they're still the highest in ratings.

I guess he can thank his lucky stars for syndication. :rolleyes:

13. Could you be anymore right, Caro? Danny and Lindsay are nothing compared to Eric and Calleigh, not even close! I ship them both, but gosh... there is an absolute difference that spans the entire outer space. You were just absolutely hilarious!!! :lol:

These days, there isn't a "star-crossed lovers kept apart by fate" type of thing on television. It's their damn heads that are messing with us. If they expect us to believe that, they'd be together soon enough. I mean, come on, how many years do they expect us to believe all that?

My goodness, Caruso at 93. Wasn't that last year??? :lol: I love him to death, in a way, as I also ship H/Y, but I think he'll need an appointment with a Beverly Hills surgeon if he's gonna keep playing Horatio during the time that they drag out E/C. :lol: It'll take years before they make something happen at the rate they're going... hell will probably freeze over before E/C starts. Why can't those writers just do the right thing? :mad:

Khandi, on the other hand, definitely needs something else to do. What they make her go through every week... wear those low cut shirts, pretending to cut someone open... makes me wonder why she hasn't kicked them to the curb! "Tits of Justice"... that was just genius, Caro. :lol:

Laters...

Luv yall...

---Annabelle

14. GrueGilsGal

GrueGilsGal Victim

Overall I found the article quite informative. I'm glad that Michael didn't reveal much about next season. I'm especially happy that they've decided to treat Eric's condition as an ongoing issue in the show, since that's how people in that condition must deal with their health and related issues in real life.

As for the personal lives issue, whatever might trip into the office may stay there as long as necessary to make the characters more human; but please leave their more intimate details out of it. Even fictional characters deserve down time.

I'm pleased, also, that they've decided to amp up Alexx's presence this season. She's smart, compassionate, and delightful to watch as she teases information from her patients. Someone has to care for the dead, and they couldn't have picked a better person for the job. Huzzah, huzzah for the writers.