Season 8 *Spoiler Lab* Discussion - Part 2

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

Well guys think about it, she's out in the middle of nowhere under a car, she can't move, she's in the middle of the desert. The desert is home to some of the worst weather and there are all sorts of wildlife out there. So having a coyote and a flood? Not much of a stretch.

And I agree with all of you that there are many similarities with GD, but I don't think there's nearly enough to say it's totally ripping it off. GD to me was just something to shake things up, because it was built in the course of two hours. With the MCSK storyline, they've built it up throughout the entire year. It's more complex, and I think it was extremely difficult to pull off, but I think they did it. Again, yes, the CSI-in-peril storyline is redundant, but I think it's fitting because they introduced Grissom and Sara's relationship last season and this season they built on it. This is going to be the ultimate test for not only Sara to survive, but for Grissom as well, and the rest of the team.

Also, as Jorja and everyone has said in interviews, the writers are excited to tell a story they haven't quite told yet (GD, again, I know, was similar). The MCSK is totally different though-- this person is targeting Grissom specifically, and trying to use Sara to get to him. This person created crime scene miniatures and has a thing for bleach. Honestly, IMHO, I believe the MCSK and Grave Danger hold no spectacular similarities to qualify as "crap".

I felt Jorja's acting in the first promo was very fitting, because the writers told her what to do obviously and they didn't write in things like "Oh please no don't do this." You know why? Because Sara's not that type of woman. She's strong and stubborn, and she's not about pleading and begging. That would ruin her entire character. Also, given her childhood, wouldn't you assume (dare I say it) that she is used to that sort of pain if she was abused? I know it sounds horrible, but it's probably not quite as shocking. That's just a theory :p

But, now time for my response of the latest promo-- NoOoo thIs CaN't bE happEning!!!11 :eek: Poor Sara! I loved all the emotions portrayed though, all the actors really brought something to the table and the music was heartbreaking. Like Catherine said though, she's a survivor.

Well, most people also don't star on a hit TV drama series that quickly climbed to the #1 top-rated show in the country :p It's an original storyline. If they didn't mix it up, like everyone said, it would be too similar to Grave Danger.

And just so you all know, I'm not asking for an argument, I'm just sharing my opinion ;) I respect all your views and some very good points have been made here :)

2. sal

sal Dead on Arrival

I think the promo looked amazing I can't wait for the season to start.

3. gregsandersfan

gregsandersfan Pathologist

I wonder what's up with all those promos this early. Of course it is to get people all hyped up, but it's still four weeks until the season premiere and by now you can even get the storyline from the promos... they are searching for Sara, Greg's in the helicopter probably spotting the car so that Nick and Grissom race to the car...assumingly Sara is not under there anymore...And the lastest promo shows her near-drowning, so there's not much they can add to it anymore... So I wonder what they want to employ the time (4 weeks) until the premiere with now that they have all that already out.

4. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Hit and Run

:confused: These characters are real people? Hmmm. Here I thought they were fictional characters. :lol:

Well, I will very likely tape and watch the premiere, just to see how they pull it off, but I agree that this is getting way too over the top. What's next? Does the water shift the car so she can get out and stumble around in the desert? Will the next promo feature a dazed Sarah (possibly with her arm in a make shift sling) facing down a rattlesnake?

Sigh.

5. CSI_TIME

CSI_TIME Dead on Arrival

Neither does Sara, Sara is a csi not a TV star, and most csi’s never face these kinds of things -ever. If your point was that this kind of storyline is common for a TV show then I would completely agree with that. In fact it seems very common.

I am glad you see a difference in storylines- I admit I don’t. :D

6. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

Oh! Yeah, I meant it was common for a TV show, particularly a drama series :p If they just had the CSIs solving cases, never facing any danger or dealing with personal issues, it would be a boring show :p

7. Delia

Delia Victim

The promos have covered about 90 seconds so I'M sure there will be plenty to see when the episode airs and some surprises.

8. S_Bright

S_Bright Police Officer

ITA. CSI is dumbing down and making easy choices to repeat popular themes instead of creating new ones. And they are not even worried about the credibility any longer. So sad. Many seem to applaud that decision, I don't. It is abut to become the gore and character drama fest instead of the crime-solving show it was.

I'll have to check in later this season and check the ratings. I think they'll drop with these kinds of obvious rewrites and over-the top dramas.

And WTF is up with the ep names? :eek:

9. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Some say its a GD rip-off, others say no, I personally think there are similarities, but with enough of a difference to make it their own. There are still uncertainties on the outcome of this whole situation. *thinks this is an "agree to disagree" subject*

I personally don't think the promo clips and pictures, etc, is enough to throw out a solid speculation on the fate of Sara. As much as I enjoy reading up on the spoilers and viewing the clips and pictures available, hoping for the best, most interesting and intense outcome, I am not jumping to any conclusions. I will impatiently what for the season to start.

10. Rocky11

Rocky11 CSI Level One

[​IMG]OMG great promo,I cant wait till September.

11. lostladyknight

lostladyknight Pathologist

You know... it is frighteningly like GD but it's got enough to it that we're okay. Granted I HATED Living Doll, for what it's worth. I thought it was poorly written and put together about as well as an independant film by a high school student. A lot of episodes were far, far, far better, as a matter of a fact IMHO if it weren't for the plot (which wasn't stellar) the episode would have been a waste of time.

However it set us up for what's looking like a great episode. I just hope they haven't shown us all of the good stuff already. You know? I also hope it overshadows Living Doll by leaps and bounds.

-llk

12. Raw_Alex

Raw_Alex Witness

Yup. One of the sad realities of network TV is that shows have to work hard to retain their viewers from year to year. Cliff hangers are a proven way to keep your loyal fans on the edge of their chairs and ready for the next season (hence this thread, I guess!).

There really is only a few basic cliffhangers, there isn't much you can do. This year is somewhat unique because it really is a season to season cliff hanger, possibly a tip of the hat to the strong showing of Grey's Anatomy this past season. CSI people may feel they have to work harder to keep the viewers in season 8.

I personally hope for much less soap and much more crime, puzzles, and interesting twists. I get all nostalgic when I see seaon 1 or season 2 episodes, particularly the early season 1 where there was more competition, a little more grit, and a little more friction between the sides. These days we just get the unidimensional Eckley and "assistant sherrif" style characters to stir the pot, they don't add much to the game.

Hopefully the new character(s) for season 8 will help to break things up and change the group dynamics a bit.

13. gsr_rulz

gsr_rulz Hit and Run

OMG! I was about to post this until I saw it already done. I am shaking, watching this promo, but I think she survives the flood b/c of them finding the car during the day, w/o her. In the pictures currently available, it looks like Grissom and Nick are digging out her CSI vest (if you zoom in, it looks like her vest).

Does anyone know what the song is on this promo? I really like it!

14. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I am dying to see this premiere. I was on the edge of my set watching it last night. I think it could be one of the greatest episodes ever if it leaves up to the preview.

15. gsr_rulz

gsr_rulz Hit and Run

Okay, I'm replying to myself. The song is "this woman's work" by Kate Bush.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.